In the company of Ravens: SG's ETL VoW

Thanks for the compliments on my RW SG. Who knows, with the GW improvements for bikes, RW might become fun to play. I for one now have a formidable 2690 point RW force due to the ETL. Now I just need to put together a RWSS and figure out how to play a RW pure army.

Thanks for the compliments on my RW SG. Who knows, with the GW improvements for bikes, RW might become fun to play. I for one now have a formidable 2690 point RW force due to the ETL. Now I just need to put together a RWSS and figure out how to play a RW pure army.

Wonder how a RW vs RW battle would go? :D I think the ETL has brought our more Ravens flocking together...nice to see that...It' a nice change from the predominantly DW heavy discussions from the past.... I won't kid myself that i would be getting games under my belt any time soon.... but I am itching to see what our Codex will bring.

Would love to see the whole 2690 point RW army of your in one photo!

SG

I thought it would be a great idea to set up a thread commemorating the ETL by compiling shots of everyone's completed vows; everyone simply makes a post with what was completed, a total points value, and then a single photograph of what was achieved. It would forever stand as a testiment to Captain Semper's enormous efforts over the last few months, and would be a fantastic repository of thousands and thousands of points of painted DA minatures!

I was going to set it up but was planning on waiting a few days for the dust to settle, and for the Captain to make his final analyses.

I thought it would be a great idea to set up a thread commemorating the ETL by compiling shots of everyone's completed vows; everyone simply makes a post with what was completed, a total points value, and then a single photograph of what was achieved. It would forever stand as a testiment to Captain Semper's enormous efforts over the last few months, and would be a fantastic repository of thousands and thousands of points of painted DA minatures!

I was going to set it up but was planning on waiting a few days for the dust to settle, and for the Captain to make his final analyses.

I completely agree with this idea. Semper deserves every bit of credit he can get, and it would also be a sweet collection of Unforgiven. ^_^

@Shadow Guard: You are insane, in all the best ways! ;) You've got quite the armada of Speeders, and the group shot caused the main theme from "Ride of the Valkryies" to spontaneously burst out of my mouth. ;)

Thanks BC Sharp.... On the sentiments of before and after photos and me being insane ...

Before

http://www.fortressoftheunforgiven.com/Temp_RW_Company_Phase_05_0.jpg

After

http://www.fortressoftheunforgiven.com/Temp_RW_Company_Phase_05_0b.jpg

SG

I'd say rude things about you but it's only because you've managed to paint up an immense Ravenwing force, which is a lot more than i'm capable of at the moment! They look great in the army shot, i'm looking forward to seeing you getting the full company completed... maybe by next week?

Congrats on the huge push! Really really nice.

However, here is my Inner Player saying: when the heck are you going to play 17 LS? Are you seriously going to do 5-strong LS squadrons?

Its one of those things you think for giggles...and actually never do.

As for buying so many LSs...maaaaaaaaan, that's a bundle!

Again, congrats :D

Congrats on the huge push! Really really nice.

However, here is my Inner Player saying: when the heck are you going to play 17 LS? Are you seriously going to do 5-strong LS squadrons?

Its one of those things you think for giggles...and actually never do.

As for buying so many LSs...maaaaaaaaan, that's a bundle!

Again, congrats :)

Thanks Tanhausen, I am more of a modeller and hobbyist than a gamer so this is a step towards a company... that i planned to do first nearly ten years ago.... Hope to continue but first willa dd some more detail to the existing models.

SG

Well, I was commenting on the ETL thread, couldn't afford not to IN THE LAST HOURS OF THE CHALLENGE so I realized should take a better look here...

This effort blows my mind SG. You did a tremendous amount of points, or more to the point, miniatures in very, very little time and under a lot of pressure! Congratulations on this fantastic achievement that not only built you a RW force, not only added a crap load of points to the DA cause but also created the momentum required to motivate other people to complete their vows even late in the challenge...

Again congratulations on this amazing achievement!

The Shadow Guard:

This was quite the undertaking, brother. I haven't had the chance to put one of the new land speeders together, but I finally picked one up for once I complete my current mini. Your Ravenwing force is incredibly impressive. I can't say I've ever seen so many speeders assembled in one place. Well done on the vows. I'm looking forward to seeing the full company in all its splendor.

FC

The Shadow Guard:

This was quite the undertaking, brother. I haven't had the chance to put one of the new land speeders together, but I finally picked one up for once I complete my current mini. Your Ravenwing force is incredibly impressive. I can't say I've ever seen so many speeders assembled in one place. Well done on the vows. I'm looking forward to seeing the full company in all its splendor.

FC

Thanks FC for your kind comments,

I have, a long time ago made one of the metal land speeders and they were a nightmare to put together simply because of the need for the use of superglue. I much prefer plastics to work with. I had collected a number of plastic land speeders (the ones which come in two halves top and bottom) but never got around to making them after my first attempt because it needed tenacity, rubber bands, clothes pegs and a lot of swearing to fix the halves together and still had sections sticking out.

I was very disappointed to find that the RW Battle Force Boxes (both the old square boxes and the recent rectangular boxes) contain the old version of the plastic land speeder. The new, single speeder boxes have the newer version which is apleasure to make. The parts fit like a dream and nothing sticks out.

As for the speeders, I need five more, one to kit out the support squadron and one each for the next three attack squadrons and one for the command squadron.... then comes Sammael's speeder and the three Tempests I didn't get to do for the ETL.

Now I have the dileemma of deciding whether to continue with the project at the current level of detailing or work on the detailing before making any more squadrons. probably a mix and match of both.

As for further detailing, I will still stay away from boltgum metal for the bumper bars of the speeders and the rims of the bikers. I want to keep that blackness intact but will add light highlights.....

SG

Well, well, well, The Shadow Guard, my old rival! I see you still know how to paint a nice dress, even if it is sitting on top of a bike. :cuss

These are looking very good! And the sheer amount that you've managed to paint is truly impressive. Going back to you're original point, about wanting them to be mostly black with very few vibrant colors. I've always wondered why people paint the feathers on Ravenwing white. Last time I checked a raven had black feathers... ;)

Well, well, well, The Shadow Guard, my old rival! I see you still know how to paint a nice dress, even if it is sitting on top of a bike. :P

These are looking very good! And the sheer amount that you've managed to paint is truly impressive. Going back to you're original point, about wanting them to be mostly black with very few vibrant colors. I've always wondered why people paint the feathers on Ravenwing white. Last time I checked a raven had black feathers... :tu:

Heyyy...Woolfyyyyyyy ... Thought you'd dropped off in to the eye of terror looking for pap dog!! :P Good to see you drop by here, and what a good question about raven's feathers..... :huh: ANyway, i see that you haven't changed your old habits of hanging around with the dress wearers.. I'm sure we've got some of that Fenrisian Ale that we stole left over somehwre here!! :P

SG

ANyway, i see that you haven't changed your old habits of hanging around with the dress wearers.. I'm sure we've got some of that Fenrisian Ale that we stole left over somehwre here!! :lol:

Yeah, you're probably keeping it next to my spare kibble bowl, you stole too! The one in my secret compartment on my thrown got taken. I blame one of those new pups over there. No respect! Anyway, just thought I'd pop in for a bit. Nothing like seeing you frilly nansies worry over your past transgressions to make me realize MY life isn't so bad. :) Anyway, again great army. You going to get one of those fancy limited edition chaplains to go with this force? He'd look pretty good. Granted, I'm not sure what the state of the codex is these day. Can you even take one with ravenwing?

• 10 months later...

IN THE COMPANY OF RAVENS: ETL II 2013

Well, here we are reviving the ol' Ravenwing Project which went in to hibernation after ET 1 ended. I'm started off with a small oath which was emant to have been my sixth vow in ETL 1... namely a Land Speeder Tempest Squadron of 3 worth 330 pts. I chose them as they needed very little effort in terms of building the kits as the main body wa sa single piece of resin. Working with superglue was a bit of te bother....

Stage 1: Models completed

http://www.fortressoftheunforgiven.com/Temp_RW_Company_Phase_09_01.jpg

Stage 2: Added some detail including underslung sensor pods, hood top icons and side armour RW icons along with purity seals for the squadron leader.

http://www.fortressoftheunforgiven.com/Temp_RW_Company_Phase_09_02.jpg

http://www.fortressoftheunforgiven.com/Temp_RW_Company_Phase_09_02a.jpg

http://www.fortressoftheunforgiven.com/Temp_RW_Company_Phase_09_02b.jpg

http://www.fortressoftheunforgiven.com/Temp_RW_Company_Phase_09_02c.jpg

Now to touch up with boltgun metal and blackw ash, some colours for the sensors and lights and grey/white for the icons....

SG

Archived