Jimmi's Guide to ... Wet Palettes

Hi,

Just thought I'd share this gem for people who are fed up of:

1. Paint drying up

2. Paint going on to thickly

3. loosing the point on their brush

*4. Having little control over the amount of paint on the brush

USE A WET PALETTE!

Seriously I'd heard of them before but just dismissed them, I made one today and I've just painted a marine, my god how much easier was that!!!

To make a wet palette you need a shallow plastic container (I used the rectangular box you get those dots of static GW grass in), then you put about 10 sheets of bog roll in (They fit perfectly in the box I used, otherwise you may have to cut to size), then add enough water so the roll is all wet, but it's not dripping everywhere. Then lay a perfectly fiting piece of grease proof/baking paper (the stuff your girlfriend bakes with *but not the recycled brown stuff, it's too low density*) over the top of the wet bog roll and voila!

Awesomeness!

This is basically the whole premise of the P3 system, and how drip bottles are supposed to be used. I haven't tried it yet, but this does seem like a more economical way to do it them the P3 system, $25 for what is basically a plastic box with a piece of foam and wax paper.

This is basically the whole premise of the P3 system, and how drip bottles are supposed to be used. I haven't tried it yet, but this does seem like a more economical way to do it them the P3 system, $25 for what is basically a plastic box with a piece of foam and wax paper.

The downside is the foam doesn't hold up as long as a sponge will.

For people in the US you can buy a wet palette with reusable paper and sponge for $15 at Michaels OR Hobby Lobby. Plus a google search will land you a 40% off coupon to either store each week. :)

Painting on a wet palette is also better on your brushes. At most GW store's they use tiles which damage and tear your bristles. Because despite feeling smooth to the touch, they're not.

Interesting! Just put a few drops on and it stays wet?

Indeed, my paint from yesterday is in fact still wet :P

NB it's more than a 'few drops', but not enough so you've made a small swamp. The water should not get anywhere near flowing over the top of your grease paper, but equally, all the bog roll should be wet.

Interesting! Just put a few drops on and it stays wet?

Indeed, my paint from yesterday is in fact still wet :D

NB it's more than a 'few drops', but not enough so you've made a small swamp. The water should not get anywhere near flowing over the top of your grease paper, but equally, all the bog roll should be wet.

I use a plastic container made for keeping leftovers. I have had paint on the pallet still wet after being left in the closed box for over a week. It had seperated and needed stiring again, but it keeps for a long time if you keep it closed tightly when not in use.

Also, if you are making your own, what you want is "parchment paper" you get from the grocery store. It is commonly used in baking. You do not want "wax paper" that it is often confused with. Parchment paper will let the water from the paper towel or spounge below to wick up through the paper. Wax paper is a solid barrier to the water. I find that I need to change out the paper every couple of weeks because the water starts to break down the paper and lets some pigment seep through to the bottom.

Yeah i have to totally agree with J!MM!L!C!OUS!

Wet palette totally revolutionizes my painting...not done anything besides brush priming and basecoating, and i feel theres so much more potential with a wet palette!

Only thing i still use dry palette for is drybrushing only!

Heres some tuts:

http://warmaster40k.com/2011/06/16/diy-wet-paint-palette/

From GD slayer sword winner Chris Borer:

http://www.fullborerminiatures.com/articles/wetpalette.html

Hi,

Just thought I'd share this gem for people who are fed up of:

1. Paint drying up

2. Paint going on to thickly

3. loosing the point on their brush

USE A WET PALETTE!

Seriously I'd heard of them before but just dismissed them, I made one today and I've just painted a marine, my god how much easier was that!!!

To make a wet palette you need a shallow plastic container (I used the rectangular box you get those dots of static GW grass in), then you put about 10 sheets of bog roll in (They fit perfectly in the box I used, otherwise you may have to cut to size), then add enough water so the roll is all wet, but it's not dripping everywhere. Then lay a perfectly fiting piece of grease proof paper (the stuff your girlfriend bakes with) over the top of the wet bog roll and voila!

Awesomeness!

Just to give credit to the OP and those that have offered advice, I've been using a wet palette and it's definitely the way forward!

I used a small ice cream tub with two sheets of folded kitchen roll (paper towel) and the baking paper on top, and it's made painting so much easier.

I was painting Mephiston Red onto some Marines last night, and having just checked now, the paint on my palette is still wet.

It makes the paint go on the model smoothly and is also kinder on your brushes, and best of all it costs noting to make if you already have baking paper - my wife bakes all the time so win! ;)

Give it a try

• 3 weeks later...
Just to give credit to the OP and those that have offered advice, I've been using a wet palette and it's definitely the way forward!

Thanks for the credit :)

I hope everyone has been using this, or some bastardised method to great success ;)

Jimmi

• 4 weeks later...

I have been using a wet palette for ages. Wouldn't paint without it.

For those of us lazy like me, P3 do one. It's very simple, works a treat and isn't too expensive!

To echo this thread though, if you don't use a wet palette... Why not!

• 1 month later...

Kewell. I've wanted to make a wet pallette for a while now but thought I had to find some special palette paper. Didn't realise it was just greaseproof paper. Thanks guys. Off to Jackson's on the corner then ha!

How many of you still call your sainsburys Jackson's? Haha.

I have been using a *home made* one for awhile. But some of the paints don't play nice. It's different colors, not necessarily green red etc. Could this be a result of using older paints? I fully mix them and add flow improver to keep them in condition? Looking forward to any suggestions or ideas!

Thanks

Bungi

I have been using a *home made* one for awhile. But some of the paints don't play nice.

What do you mean?

Sometimes, if a paint has been in the palette for a day or more the paint will separate, but then all that requires is a bit of re-mixing with a paint brush. The only downside is that the new mix tends to be quite watery, so dependingon the pigment you might need to add more paint to thicken it up.

Jim

I have been using a *home made* one for awhile. But some of the paints don't play nice.

What do you mean?

Sometimes, if a paint has been in the palette for a day or more the paint will separate, but then all that requires is a bit of re-mixing with a paint brush. The only downside is that the new mix tends to be quite watery, so dependingon the pigment you might need to add more paint to thicken it up.

Jim

The paint seems to just dry right on the paper. Not all of the paints mind you just some, most recently its been my mechrite red. At this point I'm pretty sure its just the age of the paint. Yes I understand the paint will seperate, you need to change the paper and add water..but like I said its not all the paints. Neways I'm slowly switching to the VMC/VGC line, guess it's time to replace this color.

Thanks

Bungi

@Bungi

Yeah coudl be the age of the paints I suppose, I've only had paint dry out on the palette after about a week, or when I leave the lid off :)

Let us know how your new paints work with the wet palette :)

Archived