Jimmi's Guide to ... Wet Palettes

Ok I'm not disputing all of your claims but is it really worth all that time to go and put one of these together. I know I have all the items needed in my house, but man am I lazy! I guess what I'm saying is J!MM!L!C!OUS if I go to the hassle of making one of these can I give you a slap if I'm not completely satisfied?

Ok I'm not disputing all of your claims but is it really worth all that time to go and put one of these together. I know I have all the items needed in my house, but man am I lazy! I guess what I'm saying is J!MM!L!C!OUS if I go to the hassle of making one of these can I give you a slap if I'm not completely satisfied?

All that time for me was walking into the kitchen, taking a metal cake tid lid, putting some kitchen roll on it, pouring water over the kitchen roll, putting a piece of greese proof paper on top, flipping it after it was wet, pouring off any major excess, walking back into office.

I would never paint without one now Ive used it. Very small investment for a huge help!

Do you ever mix your paints?

Do you hate when paints dry after 5-10 minutes on your normal palette?

Do you paint for longer stretches at a time (1+ hour)

Do you use multiple layers?

Do you use glazes?

Do you blend?

Do you like smooth blends?

If but one of these are true, then a wet palette is your very dear friend. :lol:

Haha, I whipped mine up in about 10 minutes Darklighter, you probably spent longer than that looking for all those ace Space Wolves decals for me :P

@Brother Nihm, how do you use wet palettes and glazes together? ;)

• 2 weeks later...

Has anybody else had any issues with fibres from the paper getting mixed into the paint? This is exactly what has been happening to me and IT IS A NIGHTMARE! I didn't realize what was happening until it was too late and once the paint has dried on the model and the fibre has been trapped you're in trouble.

I think the problem stems from the type of paper I've been using. I don't know if it's recycled, or budget or what, I don't have the packaging anymore (it's brown if that helps) and you can actually see the fibres if you look closely.

So I would advise anyone trying this method to stay well clear of this type of paper and save yourself some headaches. The method itself is flawless, works a charm and my paint was still perfect the next day, its just the paper that was causing problems. I did get a solid glorious day of painting out of it before I started noticing problems.

Hope this prevents some peeps some problems.

I heartily approve of the wet palette.

Mine is a homemade job made from a plastic sandwich container that I bought at Walmart for $1. I then used some foam from blister packs and used a piece of wet palette paper that I bought at Hobby Lobby. It was a package of 20 11"x17" sheets for about $6, and since my palette is only 4"x4" they will last a long time.

I've heard of the baking paper thing, but in my experience some of the baking paper is a bit waxy, even if it's not "wax paper". The palette paper is more absorbent and tends to transfer the water better.

Has anybody else had any issues with fibres from the paper getting mixed into the paint? This is exactly what has been happening to me and IT IS A NIGHTMARE! I didn't realize what was happening until it was too late and once the paint has dried on the model and the fibre has been trapped you're in trouble.

I think the problem stems from the type of paper I've been using. I don't know if it's recycled, or budget or what, I don't have the packaging anymore (it's brown if that helps) and you can actually see the fibres if you look closely.

So I would advise anyone trying this method to stay well clear of this type of paper and save yourself some headaches. The method itself is flawless, works a charm and my paint was still perfect the next day, its just the paper that was causing problems. I did get a solid glorious day of painting out of it before I started noticing problems.

Hope this prevents some peeps some problems.

I've not had that trouble, but then I've not tried every paper. The stuff I use must be higher density than yours, although to th eeye it's just bog standard baking paper (not brown though)

I don't know what brand or type of baking paper it was, because I no longer had the packaging for it. It was definitely baking paper though.

I am now using Asda baking paper myself, and today am still painting with paint I mixed up on Monday. Perfectly happy now. ;)

At an educated guess, I would say the type of paper i'm urging people to avoid was recycled. (think about colouring books) if you looked very closely you could actually see the tiny little fibres within the paper. These will end up getting painted all over your model and it's horrible.

No such issues with the new stuff ;)

• 2 weeks later...

I've been using a wet palette for some time now. I have one made from a butter container(the cover works as the palette and the box as the cover) and sometimes I put small pieces of paper and baking paper on my regular palette.

I don't mix paints much but always thin with vallejos thinner so the main use for me is keeping the thinned paint wet if(when) I need to fix slips on a previous color.

Never ever ever am I going back to strait-from-the-pot painting. To me it's heresy.

• 1 month later...
Well I finally got around to making one of these and my paint is still wet a day later (maybe overly so) but it's not improved my painting skills one bit!!! I did how ever manage to take my wet palette from home to a gaming club and back again without a mishap. I think I'll keep using one if for no other reason than to look down my nose at people who don't. :D

Haha, I whipped mine up in about 10 minutes Darklighter, you probably spent longer than that looking for all those ace Space Wolves decals for me :D

@Brother Nihm, how do you use wet palettes and glazes together? ;)

Sorry, I missed this.

This may sound silly, but you merely mix your glazes, and use your wet palette to hold them. linky ;)

Made one over the weekend for £2 :P Sandwich container and Baking paper from Poundland and some loo roll. Put a blob of Army Painter Blue in on Sunday and it's still perfectly liquid as I type.

Used it today to put a coat of White on a Tac Squad and I have to say it's made using Ceramite White even better :D

I reckon I've got enough Baking paper to last me a couple of years given how little I've had to use to boot :P

wet palets are the bomb. read about them last year. wouldnt paint with out it. Nihm's right about the glazes too. makes painting alot more fun when you paint all weekend. as for painting away from the house I just bought a shallow plastic leftover box to build mine in. never had it spill or make a mess and if I'm painting up at the store it goes too. gets some funny looks at times but I'm seeing them more and more.

• 1 month later...
Made mine 5 days ago, when I started painting my Sanguinary Guard with the gold base paint from GW. I used the entirety of the dallop i originally put in on day 4, and refreshed. I can see a marked improvement in tip condition, and paint control (the wet palette seems to organically thin the paint over time). I won;t be doing much painting without one in the future, thats for sure!

• 4 weeks later...

I take it that using kitchen towel would work just as well?  I ask, as I have inexplicably got far more than I'll use :blink:  I've got loads of tubs that I can use for making one (Philadelphia cheese ones mainly :lol: )  I'll have to remember to get some baking paper when I next go food shopping :lol:

I can't believe I've not tried this before! I'm definitely getting some baking paper on the way home!

Just one question, should I still add water to the paint as if I was using a normal dry palette, or just straight from pot to (wet) pallette?

Thanks

I can't believe I've not tried this before! I'm definitely getting some baking paper on the way home!

Just one question, should I still add water to the paint as if I was using a normal dry palette, or just straight from pot to (wet) pallette?

Thanks

your paint will still need thinning as usual,  it just wont dry out in 30 seconds 

• 2 months later...

Superb tute, used to struggle with highlight mixes drying out and I'm hopeless at mixing the same tone twice, the wet pallete really sorts this problem out.

Thanks very much.

• 2 weeks later...

This may be a dumb question, but how are you guys transferring the paint from the pot to the palette? I have always painted straight from the pot but I have thought about using a wet palette for a long time. I haven't done it mainly because I can't figure out a way to get the paint from a non-dropper bottle to the palette without wasting a lot of paint. 

Archived