Grey Wolves - A Painting and Modeling log by J!M

Hi, cheers, yeah I'll add a bit of mithril silver to the metal on the bolters... they used to have a yellow dot on them, but I didn't like it so I removed it. I think there would be a danger of too much yellow!

:)

• 1 month later...

Right, been a while since I updated this. I've not been completely idle though - I have altered the captain, finished the Command Squad, finished the missile Devastators and painted the second Rhino. Some models are missing the wolf decal though as I need to eBay some more :)

So first up - Captain and Command Squad - Note the Scout guy in there, he's there for fluff reasons. As commander of the 10th Comapny he's present to keep an eye on the other scouts on the mission and to aid the Captain where possible. I enjoyed painting the lightning effects, and the blending on the blades here... not that I'm great shakes at it yet but I enjoyed it all the same. Furthermore, I think my Apothecary looks a little like Trevor McDonald...

gallery_51796_7719_1502247.jpg

Next we have the finished Devastator Squad

gallery_51796_7719_1677496.jpg

And the 2nd Rhino...

gallery_51796_7719_585705.jpg

That's all for now folks, comment if you've got something to say :)

Got a couple more for you today, My Stormtalon Gunship - painted in about 4 hours, and my Librarian - The pictures are not too hot I'm afraid but I'm reduced to using my iPhone!

Stormtalon

gallery_51796_7719_237713.jpg

Librarian

gallery_51796_7719_524937.jpg

Comments appreciated as always :D

Jim

Hi J!M!

Love the colour scheme - & agree with the others that the yellow is a nice touch. I don't think the bolters look bad as they are but that's obs my opinion!

I think the storm talon could maybe do with a bit of contrast on the grey- maybe a yellow stripe or something just to break up the larger panels? Just a thought.

Overall though - fantastic neat painting. I like a lot.

Hi J!M!

Love the colour scheme - & agree with the others that the yellow is a nice touch. I don't think the bolters look bad as they are but that's obs my opinion!

I think the storm talon could maybe do with a bit of contrast on the grey- maybe a yellow stripe or something just to break up the larger panels? Just a thought.

Overall though - fantastic neat painting. I like a lot.

Thanks dude, I completely agree with you about the Stormtalon - some sort of go faster yellow stripe down the side of the body?

Hey there. Your chapter looks great! love the colours and you got there some very smooth painted models.

One thing i noticed is that you could add some boltgun metal or similar dark silver to the struts of the stormtalons canopy (I dont know if i said that correct as i am not a native english speaker, I mean the glass looking thing covering the pilot).

Hey there. Your chapter looks great! love the colours and you got there some very smooth painted models.

One thing i noticed is that you could add some boltgun metal or similar dark silver to the struts of the stormtalons canopy (I dont know if i said that correct as i am not a native english speaker, I mean the glass looking thing covering the pilot).

I'd have to paint them on the outside of the plastic, rather than the side of the plastic facing the cockpit - or is that what you suggest?

An interesting thought, have you got any pictures of what this might look like?

Well i did that on my talons on the outside of the plastic.

Here is a link to my Imp. Fists wip i have there pics of how it looks on a talon

http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/index.p...98&hl=moric

I used an airbrush to do it and lots of masking tape but you can do it with a brush and a steady hand, i dont have steady hands due to my line of work

So I did the modifications to the Talon a little earlier than I had planned - Well... the go faster strip down the engines anyway.

I gave the canopy strutts a go but it just wasn't working for me so I shall leave it struttless.

gallery_51796_7719_243811.jpg

C&C as always

Jim

Hi Ho,

So this morning I decided to attempt the camo cloaks of my sniper scouts, this is the first time I have tried painting camo so go easy!

I used images off the internet to try and get a feeling for what real camo looks like, then I sort of painted it in layered stages starting with base sand, then flesh, then brown, then dark brown, then cream, then browny/black. *Edit* Oh and then Sepia wash.

Let me know how you think it's turned out :)

gallery_51796_7719_124632.jpg

Personally I think the big areas of brown and flesh could do with being a tad smoother...

Furthermore, I think my Apothecary looks a little like Trevor McDonald...

:) maybe a nod towards a successor chapter that could come from your own? the Sons of Meridian (Meridian news..... see what i did there....? lol)

On another note though, i do like your colour scheme and the camo cloaks are looking sweeeeeeeee' . Keep up the good work sir

OK, finished all the camo cloaks today, the camo is on the outside, it made no sense to have it on the inside too :)

gallery_51796_7719_36017.jpg

Does it work for you?

Jim

P.S That's my nearly finished Sternguard Squad painted up as Deathwatch with Inquisitor in the background, I'll finish and post them next, maybe tomorrow :)

• 2 weeks later...
Furthermore, I think my Apothecary looks a little like Trevor McDonald...

:huh: maybe a nod towards a successor chapter that could come from your own? the Sons of Meridian (Meridian news..... see what i did there....? lol)

On another note though, i do like your colour scheme and the camo cloaks are looking sweeeeeeeee' . Keep up the good work sir

Just seen this - lol. You're welcome to make that chapter ;)

*quick update*

I've been painting my snipers slowly but surely. They aint finished yet, but I will try and get some WIP shots up soon.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

wow I really like your latest marines so far, specially liked that one sergeant in the beginning nice use of bitz and pose there my friend. I hope to see this thread flourish with more bolter wielding awesomness, let your chapter shine brother!

Cheers fella, there's loads of progress been made, but no photo's to show it haha

I promise I'll get some up when the light gets better :) 

Archived