Painting scales quick and easy

Freakiq

Decided to do a quick tutorial on how to paint simple v-shaped scales perfect for Alpha Legion and Salamander armies.

gallery_14033_7365_17741.png

Step 1: Paint the shoulder pad with a smooth, even coat. If you have a darker paint scheme you might want to make this area a bit lighter to enhance the effect.

Step 2: Using a fine detail brush, paint diagonal lines the follow the curvature of the pad. I find it easiest to start with a middle line from the corner of the pad and work my way outwards.

Step 3: Using the same method as step 2 paint diagonal lines the intersect the previous ones while trying to keep the spacing even so as to achieve a diamond shape.

Step 4: Highlight the lower v-shapd part of each diamond shape using a lighter colour.

Here's an example of a Black Reach test-model I did to try out this method.

I used Stegadon Scale Green as a basecoat for the model but to make the scales stand out more I used Kabalite Green highlighted with Sybarite Green.

To tie everything together I gave the the entire model a Guilliman Blue glaze but this was only needed because I had made the scales so much lighter than the rest of the model.

gallery_14033_7365_74161.png

I will update this tutorial with new and better pictures once I've gotten some actual Alpha Legion models painted up.

awesome job...can i ask how you painted your alpha legion???

1) I covered the model in Stegadon Scale green (twice to get an even coat).

2) Into the recesses I painted Nuln Oil.

3) All edges were given a broad highlight of Kabalite Green.

3) The edges were then given a thinner highlight of Sybarite green.

5) All large surfaces were the light would hit (shoulders, backpack vents) were given a glaze of thinned down Kabalite Green to lighten it up.

6) The model was then givenGuilliman Blue glaze to bind everything together and smooth out the highlights.

The scale freehand was painted between stages 5 and 6.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Archived