A tale of 20 gamers, a galaxy asunder.

@rune priest: yup check out deviantart. Search Aerion the faithful, primarch Vulkan, and Salamanders and you should turn up lots of good stuff. Id link 'em to you but I'm on my phone.

@ NightHunters: Man your Alpharius looks great! I knda like the metallics if I'm honest, looks like the cover of Legion.

@Battle Brother Ludovic: The 3rd edition Dark Eldar that came in the boxed set have some good torsos for SoS, Desperta Ferro has some, ill talk to him if you are interested, he prolly wouldn't mind passing them on.

@Brother Chaplain Kage: Looking forward to the Custodes! I agree with the dislike of the Scibor models.

Its pretty cool to see everyone doing the concept posts, it helps to show us all where you plan on heading, plus it gives those of us that don't have our little plastic dudes yet something to do! ;)

Those dark eldar torsos are yours if you want them sir. They've been sitting in a box of bits since I got the set they came in god knows hows long ago. I wish more of the marine models in there were salvageable but my younger self is a tard and had no foresight. Send me a pm or send one to talthus and we can send them your way.

Also Rune Priest we didn't email him for permission to use those pictures. They are all over the internet, a google search on any primarch should bring up at least one of his works. Just give credit where credit is due.

Now as far as metallics go, I heard GW went wayward with them and a good alternative thats really close to the old Boltgun Metal is Pig Iron from Privateer Press' P3 paint line. They are actually cheaper AND give you more paint for your money. I'd also give Vallejo a try.

I'm partial to the Vallejo Game Color metallics. They're almost the exact same color as the GW stuff and much better paints.

Nighthunters, that model looks great btw!

@Brother Chaplain Kage: Looking forward to the Custodes! I agree with the dislike of the Scibor models.

They're all too chunky and overdone, or as my art teacher in high school would say, "too busy". Searching around the web for illustrations and such, the Custodes look less bulky than marines(better, more compact power armor for the elite of the elite?), and the Custodes from Scibor look bulkier than marine terminators. Ugh.

I will say some of the shields and weapons they make look pretty good, but everyone and their mom has used the same Roman-style shields from Scibor for Custodes armies.

And speaking of Aerion, here's one of his I hadn't seen before. Ullanor, anyone?

http://fc05.deviantart.net/fs71/i/2011/137/6/2/epic_by_aerion_the_faithful-d3gkklc.jpg

Suitably titled "Epic".

-BCK

Rune Priest Ridcully, Concept post - Legio XVIII Salamanders

So my Salamanders are going to be set in the wake of Isstvann. I always thought that the Raven guard were the most savaged by it (shown by the dark paths Corax took for their survival.) and the Iron hands lost only their head, which paralyzed them into inactivity. The Salamanders, whilst badly mauled, still had the numbers, Primarch and the the tenacity to be able to still fight the traitors, albeit mainly securing the area around Nocturne itself. My force shall be the remains of the thirteenth company, though due to the nature of the escape from Isstvann, elements from the others are present, under the command of Captain Jethro Uliad, a terran Veteran.
For some reason all the images on google I was going to use are not valid.
Most of the force shall be in MKIII, with a mixture of MkII,IV and VI in as well for variety. Due to their depleted numbers, they mainly target traitor supply depos and worlds that have cat off terra but not garrisoned in large numbers by the traitor legions, usually droping by drop pod, with armored support only from dreadnoughts and land speeders, all other verhicles being lost on Isstvann.
The hall seemed larger then it had ever been, but Xavier Hel'cona supposed that was because over half of those who had once met in it were now dead. Slain by betrayal. He gazed around the room, of the Sargents of thirteenth company, only he, Bellasion, Tel'vrak and Sumar remained. The ship groaned, the Rhaenys had taken a beating in her escape from that cursed system.
He turned towards the end of the hall when he heard the grinding of the doors open. Whilst terran, Captain Jethro Uliad had been effected by the legions geneseed just as much as everyone else, though his head was mostly covered by the close cropped beard and long silvery white hair tied into a tail with several bands of various colors. Either side of him were two of his white cloaks, both in the experimental armour they had received months before Horus's betrayal.
Behind them, clad in nothing but an ash colored robe, with an iron circlet pressed atop his smooth head, was Sireon.
It saddened Xavier to see him like that, Sireon had always been a good friend, and had saved his life several times, most recently on the ashs of cursed Isstvann. Most of those aboard the Rhaenys had been saved at some point upon in the hellstorm that they feared had destroyed their legion.
There many thoughts that came to mind concerning Sireon.
Brother.
Savior.
Sorcerer.

Rune Priest: Your fluff sounds promising and the Sorceror guy seems pretty awesome. Hope to see more of him! You forgot the [ and ] to complete the BBcode for your header, should be a simple fix.

Heres some pics I could find:

Primarch Vulkan

http://images.wikia.com/warhammer40k/images/2/24/Vulkan.jpg

Salamanders Colors, Pre-Heresy

http://www.coolminiornot.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=4666&d=1293066988

Promethean Sun

http://www.blacklibrary.com/Images/Product/AlternativeBL/xlarge/Promethean_Sun_1.jpg

That second one is the "olive" Sallies scheme I was talking about a few pages ago.

@Brother Chaplain Kage: That Ullanor pic is great, definitely gets the feel right.

I was never fond of their blatant and heavy handed retconning of the skin color for the Salamanders. Personally, I really like the look of them from the Armageddon codex with the really dark brown skin.

The drow space marine look? Not so much.

Once again we agree, it seemed like an unnecessary retcon to me. Mayhaps its a mutation of the geneseed over the millenia? :tu: Of course thats all up to Rune Priest.

*Edit* As an aside, how does everyone feel about having allied Legionnaire squads from different legions? Id like to have an Iron Warriors boarding detachment and possibly an Imperial Heralds (Word Bearers) squad attached to my greater expedition of Raven Guard. Would that count towards our monthly requirements?

Thanks, and that olive scheme is the one I want to try and aim for, though I am going to do gold on the veterans like in the badab war books, the Vulkan pic is good, but there is somthing not quite right, not sure what though.

And that last pic is brilliant, may try and include more MKII <_<

Must admit I was never on the "Daemonic look" idea, though have warmed up to the skin darkening almost to black, but not the red eye bit. It does not matter as everyone in force will have a helmet :P Could possibly do a out of battle diorama though...

Yup with you on the skin tone!

Talthus: thanks brother, exactly the scheme Inam working from! It was more the finished result that I found lacking but will go back to my old way of doing it for the rest so that should be fine!

Regards allied forces, I feel that would rather ditract from what we are doing here though no? Don't mean to be the party pooper and certainly nothing to stop you from doing just that but for me, I am keen to just see everybody work on their chosen legions, seems the pace is pretty sedate (praise be!) so if you fancy cracking on with some allied units outside of this thread then bravo Sir, all credit to you and would love to see them! <_<

I'm partial to the Vallejo Game Color metallics. They're almost the exact same color as the GW stuff and much better paints.

Yeah I've been slowly moving away from GW paints and into Vallejo and P3. I'm not happy with their new shades either. They seem to leave the model looking weird and chalky.

I was never fond of their blatant and heavy handed retconning of the skin color for the Salamanders. Personally, I really like the look of them from the Armageddon codex with the really dark brown skin.

Now I'm actually a huge fan of the new charcoal skin with blazing red eyes fluff. Just seems fitting to me with them being Salamanders. Plus I think it conflicts with their attitude of being so protective of humanity and yet they scare everyone without their helmets on haha

*Edit* As an aside, how does everyone feel about having allied Legionnaire squads from different legions? Id like to have an Iron Warriors boarding detachment and possibly an Imperial Heralds (Word Bearers) squad attached to my greater expedition of Raven Guard. Would that count towards our monthly requirements?

Hmmm I think thats fair. Would give me a reason to paint up some Alpha Legionaries when I'm fed up with painting purple haha

ThisisJimmy - Concept Post - Legio V White Scars

Well since everyone is posting up these nifty concept posts, I figured I would try my hand at it.

My plan for my White Scars is to have them set before the Heresy, but after the development of MkIV armour. I'm a big fan of the look of the armour so am going to be including a fair amount of the style with some of the older marks sprinkled in. Obviously, given the fact that these are White Scars, everyone is either going to be vehicle mounted, riding a bike or speeder, or rocking the jump packs. I'm rather excited to try my hand at converting some bikes, as well as working with Forge World's older vehicle marks.

The Great Khan, Jaghatai

http://images.wikia.com/warhammer40k/images/0/08/Jhagatai_Kahn.jpg

Pre-Heresy Colour Scheme

http://images.wikia.com/warhammer40k/images/e/ed/White_Scars_Pre-Heresy.jpg

Painting wise, I'm going to try and follow the example set above. It has been amazingly difficult to find official pre-Heresy pictures of the White Scars. All the ones in the Collected Visions have the modern red trim, in contrast to the Index Astartes image. I'm still tossing up whether to include the red shoulder pad trim or not. Whilst I really like the look of the red trim, I feel that if I include it then they will look like 40k White Scars in older armour marks, rather than true pre-Heresy. I'm going to try and include some Mongolian script onto my models, obviously as a hat tip to their real world inspiration.

Modelling wise, I'm going to be making use of a decent amount of Space Wolf bitz. The stylistic similarities are to obvious to ignore and should help me create a more unique looking army (plus it makes sense given the closeness between the Legions.)

Well that's the plan anyway. All that is delaying me is a variety of essential packages making their way to my corner of the world.

White Scars armies always look so good on the table top. Some of my favorite army spreads from the codices and White Dwarf mags were of these guys. Can't wait to see what you do with them, and I vote for the PH scheme without the red trim on the shoulders.

White Scars armies always look so good on the table top. Some of my favorite army spreads from the codices and White Dwarf mags were of these guys. Can't wait to see what you do with them, and I vote for the PH scheme without the red trim on the shoulders.

There is something about the stark white that looks good isn't there? I too am leaning towards the white trim and using the red only for the markings, so it's probably going to be what I go with in the end

Gawain Veteris, Post 1 Legio XIII, Ultramarines - Concept Post

Hey Brothers, sorry for my delay. Ironically I've been busy with a massive Pre-Heresy modelling commission (not Ultramarines) so I've been unable to post as much progress as I'd hoped.

Further more my MKIV plate and Ultramarines shoulder pads have yet to arrive so making a start on the rank and file is not viable as yet. The only thing I've physically started on is Cpt. Ventanus but he's in a very early stage at this point (chopped up, reposed legs and no arms or head haha). So I have resolved for now to produce a concept post, much like the great previous ones.

The main focus of this project for me will be the modelling opportunities rather than painting. Though that is not to say that I won't paint them. They will be finished like any other, It's just I'll be putting a lot of work into details and home-made heresy era plate which will hopefully make free-hand more or less un necessary ;)

The force itself is set in the Battle of Calth.

http://i1110.photobucket.com/albums/h451/Zaevin/Cpt_Ventanus.jpg
Captain Ventanus of the Ultramarines, saviour of Calth. (strangely listed as a captain of the blood angels in my copy of collected visions)

For Me, Ventanus as the commander of this force was an obvious choice. He has always been my favourite Ultramarine and I look forward to rendering him in miniature. I intend to make him look very similar to the artwork above by Sam Wood but add in some personal changes (eg, the chest plate will be made more like FW MKIV).

http://i1110.photobucket.com/albums/h451/Zaevin/Helmetdesign.jpg
Ultramarine Tactical Line Astartes

Another more obvious conversion more or less all my Ultramarines will have is the Macragge variant helmet. This will add a certain flavour to the models I think, if the ones I've seen already are anything to go by.

http://i1110.photobucket.com/albums/h451/Zaevin/BattleforCalth.jpg
Roboute Guilliman beating the ++++ out of a Word Bearer...

One month, when I have the time to commit to the project, I will build and to be honest mostly sculpt my own Roboute Guilliman model. Hopefully it will match the Rogal Dorn model which has already set the bar high in this project.

For this first time frame my intention is to finish Captain Ventanus and build and paint five warriors to accompany him. For all intents and purposes these will serve as his honourguard though they will be from various squads and of various ranks to illustrate the disarray earlier in the battle.

That's all from me for now, I hope I can get started on the models proper next week.

GV

Battle-Brother Ludovic, Concept Post - Sisters of Silence

gallery_45765_7440_395265.jpg

The Sisters of Silence

The Untouchables - Departmento Investigates - Divisio Astra Telepathica

The Sisters of Silence were perhaps the most mysterious of all the Emperor's servants. Each had sworn an oath of silence as a mark of fealty to the Emperor and to their mission. Although few in number, the Sisters commanded great respect within the Imperium and most servants of the Emperor regarded them with some awe. Few would willingly stand in their way or interfere with their activites.

The Sisters were warrior-investigators tasked with the seeking and apprehension of untrained psykers. As such, they formed a department within the Astral Telepathy Division, the Imperial organisation whose responsibilities included the processing of all psychic humans. The Division operated the Black Ships, huge transport vessels that traveled to the myriad worlds of the Imperium to collect psykers and carry them back to Terra. [...] Each of the Black Ships had a contingent of the Silent Sisterhood aboard.

The Silent Sisterhood was unusual within the Astral Telepathy Division due to that fact that its members were all non-psychic; in fact they are all Untouchables. These are strange and very rare variants of humans who are psychic blanks. Such individuals are bearers of the Pariah gene and are immune to psychic attack and telepathy. The mere presence of an Untouchable can disrupt psychic abilities. Psykers find Untouchables intolerable to be near and become visibly uncomfortable in their company; very close proximity or intimate contact can even cause great pain to them. This made the Sisters ideal for the role of identifying psykers secretly hiding within normal human populations, or discovering those those innocently unaware of their own abilities.

The Sisters of Silence, although human, were well-trained warriors. This allied to their natural anti-psyker abilities made them dangerous opponents for any malcontent or rogue psyker they encountered. They were equipped with a variety of weaponry and devices specifically designed to aid in the nullification and capture of psykers. The Sisters were authorised to destroy any psykers they deemed to dangerous to capture and send to Terra for testing.

Sister of Silence Prosecutor Squad

gallery_45765_7440_160827.jpg

gallery_45765_7440_4268.jpg

Sister of Silence Assault Squad

gallery_45765_7440_4524.jpg

Sister of Silence Raptor Guard

gallery_45765_7440_43604.jpg

Sister of Silence Seeker Squad

gallery_45765_7440_76084.jpg

From Artwork to Model

For this project, I will be using various bits and pieces from across the Games Workshop model range. The main kits I'll be using will be the Dark Eldar Wyches and Kabalite Warriors (for heads, torsos, arms and legs), WFB Dark Elf Corsairs (heads, torsos, legs and arms), WFB Empire Pistoliers (for the guns) and the Cadian Command Squad (for some of the weapons, arms and extra bits of wargear). I will also be using green stuff to sculpt certain parts and maybe even use some plasticard if I can find any.

I'm planning on adding some Adeptus Mechanicus allies to this force too (I hope that's allowed in this challenge) so I'll post up some inspirational pictures for that in upcoming posts.

My special thanks go to Desperta Ferro who has kindly decided to donate some bits and pieces to this project. You have my eternal gratitude.

Ludovic

Great work from all you guys, this is certainly one of the best threads here imo and I'm stoked that I managed to get a spot before they were all gone :) Also good call on including the custodes and the sisters of silence :)

At the moment I'm chillin' in the French alpes so there won't be any updates from me in a few weeks, I can however strongly suggest giving Age of Darkness a read, as there's some great short stories in there :)

Also in the context of posting links on the first page I have an idea that would make this thread much more navigation friendly.

If the thread organiser Mr. Malevolent would be so kind to make the legion names on the list on page 1 into a link to the first project related post by each member I suggest that we should all be responsible for adding an inventory from there on our own updates (not the comments, only the "official" updates) as a part of each of our initial legion posts which would create an infra structure for easy following the progress of each of us without having to sift through piles of comments.

To make sure everyone is following my train of thought here's an example:

Click the link "VII Imperial Fists" on the list--> this will lead to my first post and then I would have to make an inventory at the beginning of this post on the rest of my updates and make sure it is always up to date on the number of updates I've added.

There could additionally be a link list on there as well to the inspirational posts, if Mr. Malevolent is up for the task :)

What do you guys think??

Hehe the basic model itself is a metal veteran from around 4th edition I think, the one with the power mace, I don't think he's on the GW website any more :) His helmet is from the Ivanus Enkomi model with the skull part sculpted over, his plasma pistol is from Sicarius on the arm from the fw sm tank crew (the one originally holding the scope) the shoulder pad is from severin loth's bodyguard along with the strap loincloth thingie. The axe is the shaft and hand of the models original power mace with a chaos power axe from 2nd edition cut to fit the top. the minotaur skull is from the Ivanus Enkomi models crozius arcanum the backpack is just a fw mk II/III one. the purity seals are various fw ones and the imperial fists icon on his shoulder pad is from the IF brass etch... That's about it :P

Ok... so why does everything look like Plastic instead of Resin, Metal and Green Stuff?

It's the grey primer I used on him :) I basecoat all my minis in grey atm as I really love how easy it is to work from.

Archived