FC's Dark Angels

FinylCut

Greetings brothers:

I've been slowly painting a modest Ravenwing force since February, a bit late for the LPC. Luckily, the ETL presented an opportunity to play a small part in the wonderful community here at the B&C. I've wanted a Ravenwing army since first reading about them in the Angels of Death codex. When the Ravenwing battleforce was released, I immediately bought two. Life then got in the way of 40k... again. I'm sure many of you can relate.

I, FinylCut, answer the challenge of the Unforgiven and vow to complete a Ravenwing Attack Squadron (3 Bikes, PF, 2xMG, AB) from Codex: Dark Angels of total value 215 points on or before August 15. Success will bring eternal glory to the Ravenwing and failure will doom me to bear the sign of damnation until the year-end.

This is my first attempt at miniature photography. I hope to improve on this once the squad is finished. I'm not sure where the attack bikers were during the photo shoot; I was far too focused on lights and backdrop to notice they were missing. I hope this does not disqualify my vow.

gallery_14025_7409_69075.jpg

Because the painting is nearing completion, I thought I had better post the 'before' photo. I would like to post a finished photo within the next week.

Comments and criticism are always welcomed as I am making a dedicated effort to improve both my modeling and painting skills during this project. Thanks.

FC

Greetings brothers:

Firstly, I'd like to thank all the amazing painters posting in the Dark Angels forum. I've really been inspired by your works. I've finally completed my initial vow of a small Ravenwing Attack Squadron.

I attempted to clean up these photos with Gimp, but I obviously need more experience with the program (as with painting). However, vows need completing and completing requires photos...

Group shot: I'm pretty happy with the overall squad.

gallery_14025_7409_16276.jpg

Sergeant front: This is my best sergeant to date. I'm starting to work with washes, although my skills are rudimentary. I feel my blending is getting better.

gallery_14025_7409_5300.jpg

Sergeant back: The power fist is supposed to be glowing with power emanating from the Dark Angel icon. Apparently someone neglected to finish the backpack as well...

gallery_14025_7409_65031.jpg

Group shot: I love full army photos, so I would be remiss to exclude such a shot from this post.

gallery_14025_7409_42433.jpg

Lessons learned are: ditch the spray primer - switch to brush on, proceed slowly and put the brush down if rushing, stop despising light colored, chaulky paints (they really aren't out to get you), and continue to try new techniques. I would like to build a light box in the near future to improve future photos, but my hobby time is limited.

My next plan is to assemble another land speeder and submit a second vow. I hope to complete assembly by mid-July.

As before, comments and criticism are more than welcomed. Thanks for looking.

FC

So did you complete the ETL vow? It looks pretty complete to me - not to mention pretty awesome!!! Your force is top notch and this blue PF rocks!!!

Please declare your completion in the ETL thread to register! Excellent timing too - will you consider vowing again?

Really good looking squad, and a nice combination of power weapons in the group shot - that will come in useful in 6th Ed!

I especially like the highlights on the feathers on the sergeant's ravenwing symbol.... Very cool!

Looking forward to seeing the new speeder! :lol:

Please declare your completion in the ETL thread to register! Excellent timing too - will you consider vowing again?

Captain Semper, I've updated the ETL thread, and plan on submitting a second vow once I've completed assembly of a new land speeder.

Really good looking squad, and a nice combination of power weapons in the group shot - that will come in useful in 6th Ed!

facmanpob, thank you for the kind words. You cannot see it in the photos, but the sergeant's bike has a deep blue display screen inspired by your attack bike. I can't say enough nice things about your Guardians.

Nice work, Brother. I love the poses!

BigGumbo, thank you. I've made a conscious effort to vary the poses. Hopefully, I can add a Tempest like yours to my force in the future.

FC

Nice work - especially impressed with the purity seal text on the Sgts bike.

You could improve the wax seal by using a gloss varnish just on the red as wax is usually shiny

and it helps it to stand out a little more from the red on the bolters - just my opinion though ;)

Nice work - especially impressed with the purity seal text on the Sgts bike.

You could improve the wax seal by using a gloss varnish just on the red as wax is usually shiny

and it helps it to stand out a little more from the red on the bolters - just my opinion though :RTBBB:

Thanks for the compliment and the advice, Elmo9141. I've never bothered to seal my miniatures in the past; however, you've inspired me to give them a shot. I picked up a bottle of both gloss and matte varnishes. They happened to be at the same store at which I was purchasing a certain book over the weekend.

I don't know how I missed this thread, really cool RW FC, your blending on the fist and robes is sublime.

Well done, looking forward to more

Thank you so much, Stobz. I doubt you can tell from the group shot, but the sergeant with the power sword was inspired by your power weapons. His sword didn't turn out anywhere near as good as yours, but you're certainly one of those inspiring me to try new techniques.

Speaking of more, I just made a second vow for a land speeder.

Here are a couple work in progress shots:

gallery_14025_7409_60826.jpg

gallery_14025_7409_43015.jpg

The rear spoiler(?) was terribly miscast, warped, and cracked, hence the artistic license with bike feathers. I've tried to smooth out the old style land speeder gaps with green stuff along with making the front end a bit more aerodynamic. This allowed me to place a larger icon on the hood, although I am not sure I like it as much as the small icon of the previous speeder. I may have a change of heart once I've painted it.

I haven't mentioned it before, but because nails are visible on the rear hatches, I'd like to point out the army is heavily magnetized to allow for plenty of options.

FC

Thank you so much, Stobz. I doubt you can tell from the group shot, but the sergeant with the power sword was inspired by your power weapons. His sword didn't turn out anywhere near as good as yours, but you're certainly one of those inspiring me to try new techniques.

I couldn't tell sorry, photo's a bit dark. But I'm honoured and glad to help in equal measure.

The adjustments you've made to the new speeder look great, well done on making best from adversity.

s

I love the attention to detail on these minis. For saying your skills are rudimentary, your work in this thread is a sterling example of basic and medium level painting techniques executed perfectly. I don't say that to sound like I'm poo-pooing. Instead, I mean it to say that you have made very, very awesome minis that any player would be happy to own, even while still discovering new techniques! :D I'm exciting to see more progress out of this thread, and I'm keeping a close eye on it. :D

Stobz, here is a better shot of the power sword. While it didn't turn out so well, it was the stepping stone to the power fist. Thank you again for the inspiration.

gallery_14025_7409_123646.jpg

facmanpob, here is my first display which I mention above, but fail to show. Every other bike has a black display, but no more will moving forward. I guess I should take care of the other buttons as well in the future...

gallery_14025_7409_63364.jpg

Brother-Captain Sharp, thank you for the very kind words. If you have thoughts on new techniques I could try, I am at full attention.

FC

Loving the display!

Have you thought of adding some weathering to the tyres? I picked up a Tamiya weathering kit and its really fun to use! :P

Thank you, sir. I've recently ordered the new Imperial Armour Model Masterclass Volume Two with the intention of adding weathering to my growing list of techniques.

Here's a quick update with Vow 2. Painting is underway.

gallery_14025_7409_7177.jpg

I'm a bit ahead of schedule (from where I sit, though I would hazard a guess Captain Semper feels differently...) on this vow; therefore, I'm pushing to complete it so I may make a third.

FC

Vow 2 complete!

I pretty happy with this land speeder. The exception would be the priming which is horribly chunky and textured. Luckily, the spray can was close (enough) to empty so I tossed it. I found an old chaos black GW primer which I will hopefully have better luck with.

gallery_14025_7409_42819.jpg

gallery_14025_7409_25177.jpg

Any feedback is appreciated.

I'll now begin assembly of a soon-to-be-made vow 3.

FC

Excellent. Loving the massive bonnet (that's 'hood' to our US brothers I believe) DA emblem :D. Well done to the vow completion.

Cheers

I

Excellent. Loving the massive bonnet (that's 'hood' to our US brothers I believe) DA emblem. Well done to the vow completion.

Thank you, Isiah. It is indeed a hood west of the Atlantic. I am big fan of The Dark Fortress; you've assembled a wealth of inspiration there for us Unforgiven.

Nice idea with the Ravenwing bits on the back. I also like the red on the guns, I might have to try that myself.

Thank you, JeffJedi. I suppose the red guns carried over from the bikes which I copied from the codex.

On a side note, I finally played my first game with the 6th edition rules: Ravenwing versus Tau at ~1000 points. My army was 3 small squads each with Attack Bike, 3 Typoons and the big man in his Land Speeder. The Tau fielded three suits, two Piranhas, Vespids, two squads of Fire Warriors with Devilfish, a small squad of Stealth Suits, and an Ethereal. Luck favored me when we rolled the Scouring for the mission. Seven turns later, the boys in black sat victoriously upon their steeds - 10 victory points to 6. This will likely have been the last time the Tau fail to account for an AV14 speeder, however...

FC

• 3 weeks later...
Oh and I'm loving the speeder!

Thanks, facmanpob. I appreciate it.

It's been a hectic few weeks here in the 3rd millennium, but I finally have something new from our favorite millennium. I humbly present Chaplain Jules. This is my first attempt at using green stuff outside of gap filling. Overall, I'm satisfied with his current state. He's supposed to be swinging the crozius beat stick with great vengeance and furious anger forward against some enemy; however, it turns out motion is not as easily captured as I had first envisioned.

The photos aren't very good, but time is not lately on my side. The first challenge was determining how to wield two close combat weapons while maintaining control of the bike:

gallery_14025_7409_16326.jpg

He needed a rosarius:

gallery_14025_7409_3732.jpg

Close ups:

gallery_14025_7409_4361.jpg

For anyone interested, I will not be making him my third vow. I am going to savor painting him over the coming weeks. I look forward to showing the final result.

FC

Archived