FC's Dark Angels

FinylCut

Thanks for the kind support, brothers! I'm really happy with Ravenwing 2.0 to this point.

Love it, how the hell did you do the canopy on the flyer? smile.png

Brother Arkley, I carefully masked the canopy in order to continue with the airbrush.

gallery_14025_7409_24443.jpg

At this point, I essentially had a dark gray basecoat, onto which I began spraying very diluted layers of red and black inks. Dilution was accomplished not with my usual airbrush thinner (75% matte medium; 24% distilled water; 1% flow improver), but with 90% distilled water; 10% flow improver. This seemed to work very well as the inks behave more nicely than paints over a longer time. I treated this as a glaze in the same fashion as the black armor was handled. I started with pure red, and slowly added more and more black to the mix. Were I to do it again, I would only change the locations of the highlights. The technique worked quite nicely.

Any progress on Sammael's speeder? After seeing the other stuff I'm interested in seeing where that goes.

I think I just got called out on Sammy! CardinalVirtue, thanks for asking a direct question. I've dug him out of storage, dusted him off, and plan to (re) spray him with the command squad. The first attempt resulted in a very gray speeder, but I didn't have the (air) brush control to get it right; furthermore, I hadn't had my eureka moment of ink glazing which occurred during the Nephilim. I've learned enough from the Nephilim to move forward with this step. No excuses; the Ravenwing must be completed. Sammy was returned to a black base coat many moons ago, so the timing is perfect.

Thanks.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks, deathspectersgt7.

Here's a quick progress pic.

gallery_14025_7409_208079.jpg

I'm continuing to get better with painting metallics, but photographing them isn't quite right yet.

Sableclaw received a good start, but I ran out of paint. He's up after these bikes, however.

I wanted to clean up the black on the bikes from the last squad. The previous ones were a bit too blue. I think I achieved the effect I was after, but I lost more contrast than I would have liked. These three are coming along well; I'm very pleased with the results.

Thanks.

FC

Grand Master Belial:

I base coat with Vallejo Model Color black green (70.980), then mix in a bit of VMC Ivory (70.918) for a thick highlight. I then reverse the quantities for the edge highlight. It's probably 3:1 if I had to guess.

Thanks.

FC

Grand Master Belial:

I base coat with Vallejo Model Color black green (70.980), then mix in a bit of VMC Ivory (70.918) for a thick highlight. I then reverse the quantities for the edge highlight. It's probably 3:1 if I had to guess.

Thanks.

FC

Thanks, I have been running VMC and VGC for a while now and love these two colors.

• 3 months later...

Brothers:

Here's a quick progress pic.

gallery_14025_7409_164871.jpg

I've got a plan for the banner. I've got lots more work on Sableclaw. There are plenty of command squad details which may get completed at some point in the future. I had to bring Librarian Vega up to the new basing standards.

Slow and steady...

Thanks.

FC

Slow and steady wins the race ;)

Stunning work as always FC! The robes, the blacks, the metallics... But in particular that sword. Just terrific blending, I love it!

The ravenwing are superb. How did you paint the front and rear wings.

Edited for reading

Never mind I actually read the text and saw the answer.

Damn now you all know I'm just here to look at the pretty pictures.

• 2 weeks later...

Brothers:

Thanks for the continued encouragement.

This is the final push. A foot of snow this weekend lead to the backside getting a good amount of attention:

gallery_14025_7409_37640.jpg

The list of must completes for Sableclaw is rapidly dwindling.

• Starboard side arch (matching the port side)
  • The cross on top
  • A few lights (three needed on the rear)
  • More depth and/or cleanup in spots
  • A base! This guy was started a long time ago, preceding my must-have-a-completed-base-for-priming rule.

The list of nice to haves is big. One of them is rather... ambitious. I've two weeks to finalize this project for a local competition.

Thanks.

FC

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Archived