Building a better Khârn

Some time ago, a friend of mine ordered the Berzerker conversion kit from Forge World because he wasn't real happy with the plastic 'zerkers. I can't really blame him - they haven't aged well at all and the running pose looks more like someone ice skating rather than hauling ass. He wanted to include Khârn in his army, but similarly, that figure hasn't aged well either. And to take things one step further, he's also not fond of what we refer to as the "Ears of Khorne" on the 'zerker helmets. I mentioned the possibility of a conversion and using one of the half-bare heads from the FW sprues with the idea that maybe the big guy would want to feel the blood spray on his face, and he liked that idea. My friend is also relatively new to the hobby so I offered to do the conversion in exchange for some future payment.

Now that I'm getting back into the swing of the sculpting stuff with my Angels of Vengeance, the idea of that conversion has been kicking around in my head. Originally, my friend wanted a very dramatic action-y pose, but the more I thought about that, the more I thought that along with the different look to this Khârn that he wanted, I didn't want to do the typical pose almost every conversion falls back on. The fluff from the previous Chaos Codex(not the current horror show, but the last decent one) always stuck with me, about the 'zerkers taking cover from artillery in a bombed out shrine and then everything goes quiet. They step outside and see all the guardsmen slain and the artillery destroyed, and then they see Khârn and are shocked, as if they didn't know he was going to be there.

Over the years, I grew to imagine Khârn, being the Chosen of Khorne and all that, more like a demon that just shows up at battles across the unvierse to hurl more trophies at the feet of his ever-hungry god. You don't take a drop pod or lander down to the surface from some bigger ship with this guy. His only allegiance is to Khorne, and if you see him on the field of battle, you better hope there's plenty enough bodies between the two of you to make good your escape.

At least that's my take on him.

The pose I had in mind was something a little less explosive, but maybe more intimidating. I kept seeing Jason Voorhees from the Friday the 13th movies pop into my head while I was running through possible ideas, and I always thought it was scarier that he never ran down any of his victims, but was this walking juggernaut; an implacable foe that there was no escape from no matter how fast you ran or how well you thought you had hidden yourself as though he was Death itself. The Blood God will have his due, after all.

So here's the rough 'sketch' I did earlier to get a feel for the pose and my friend seemed to like it. This will be a side project so the updates won't happen as often as my AoV guys:

http://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x5/Kageboshi/KharnWIP1.jpg

Before anyone shouts out about the head choice, that's the one my friend wanted, so that's what it will be. Beyond that, any and all comments and critiquing are welcome.

-BCK

This is going to be sweet, I like the arm choice with the mods youre going to do to the legs he looks well proportioned and the head looks suitably intimidating. I like your take on Kharns fluff, that he just appears etc. The only very very minor thing I would say is I would use a different chestplate. Thats just my opinion though. Id stick with the Mk5 style with the strapping. What are you planning for Gorechild?

This is going to be sweet, I like the arm choice with the mods youre going to do to the legs he looks well proportioned and the head looks suitably intimidating. I like your take on Kharns fluff, that he just appears etc. The only very very minor thing I would say is I would use a different chestplate. Thats just my opinion though. Id stick with the Mk5 style with the strapping. What are you planning for Gorechild?

Ah, I forgot to mention that the chest was just something I grabbed for the photos, so it will be changing. I have some of the Mk5 looking ones kicking around somewhere but I had been working on the legs and trying to find something for the bare arm for several hours and needed to get some pics over to my friend before he went to bed.

And for Gorechild? I dunno yet. I never knew until earlier today that it used to belong to Angron, so I reckon I'll have to make it look pretty impressive. Normally, I don't care for some of the ridiculously huge weapons, either made by GW or by fans, but in this instance I might have to whip up a really big-ass axe. <_<

Like I say the chest is just my preference. <_< If youre making a big ass axe pleeease make it a two handed axe. Something like this but with a chainblade. <_<

http://i113.photobucket.com/albums/n235/Stovie_2006/caktb.jpg

It will definitely be big enough to be wielded with two hands, it will be chain axe with a curved cutting face, and it will be massive. Much bigger than the power axe in that pic, but I want it to look like something that could still be swung with one hand by this warp snorting blood machine. He's going to be carrying it at his side in his right hand, about halfway up the haft.

Lov'n the concept. I understand that the torso is a place-holder, but when you get around to the proper one, I suggest spacing the upper half of the torso, same as used for 'taller' marines. Basically the belt/abdomen section is cut from the rib section and only the rib section is spaced, either 1mm or 2mm with plasticard.

Elusive71 tutorial, post #2 for the torso I'm talking about.

http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/index.p...mp;#entry333604

Cheers,

Jono

I'm really looking forward to see what you come up with, the model looks awesome so far, super imposing( although the arm might be a trifle long). A Two handed axe would be cool It always bothered me about the original Khârn model, that his axe is supposed to be passed down from angron; a one-handed axe for a huge primarch, and yet it basically looks like your average chainaxe. But anyway yeah, sweet model bro.

I'm really looking forward to see what you come up with, the model looks awesome so far, super imposing( although the arm might be a trifle long). A Two handed axe would be cool It always bothered me about the original Khârn model, that his axe is supposed to be passed down from angron; a one-handed axe for a huge primarch, and yet it basically looks like your average chainaxe. But anyway yeah, sweet model bro.

I think you're right about the arm being too long. Once I elongate the torso I'll reevaluate it and trim it down some if need be. What I'm thinking for Gorechild is something like a hand-and-a-half/bastard sword or katana where the handle is long enough to be used either one or two-handed. I should have some updated pics in a little while.

edit: BTW, love that screen name, lol

After much fuss and digging through bits boxes and boxes full of untouched sprues, I think I came up with something that will work for the much revered axe of Khârn:

http://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x5/Kageboshi/Gorechild.jpg

On the left is Gorechild, then a regular 'Zerker chain axe, and finally a Forge World chain axe. I think it's a good balance of size for the axe and length for the haft to believe that it could have been wielded by a Primarch, once upon a time. I know it's very "in progress" right now(and toothless), but it gets the idea across, yeah?

And then the man himself:

http://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x5/Kageboshi/KharnWIP2.jpg

Whatcha think?

-BCK

I feel like if you want to capture the Jason Voorhees attitude you're going to have to alter the posture of his axe.

Angle the haft downwards so the blade-head is being lazily held a few inches above the ground, or angle it back so it's resting on his shoulder. Khârn has all the time in the worlds to Jackson Pollock your sorry ass. He's not in a hurry, he doesn't need to look ready to strike.

Just my two bits, fantastic conversion.

I feel like if you want to capture the Jason Voorhees attitude you're going to have to alter the posture of his axe.

Angle the haft downwards so the blade-head is being lazily held a few inches above the ground, or angle it back so it's resting on his shoulder. Khârn has all the time in the worlds to Jackson Pollock your sorry ass. He's not in a hurry, he doesn't need to look ready to strike.

Just my two bits, fantastic conversion.

You know, I was thinking about that very same idea earlier when I was chopping onions for dinner, with the axe lower to the ground. And your Jackson Pollock remark cracked me up. :D

I'd agree with angling the axehead more downwards and while you're at it I'd move the hand up to just below where you've ended the plastic haft, if possible cutting off and repositioning the hand so that the pole angles upwards past the elbow and ends somewhere behind the shoulder. That for me would exemplify the whole 'I can kill you any time I like so for now I'm just going to enjoy the show' mood you're going for. That might not have come across quite as well as I hoped so here's a pic to give you an idea of the pose i mean, Khârn checking his text messages is completely optional.

http://farm7.staticflickr.com/6001/5942691113_f2e8710e9b_z.jpg

First: I really like the menacing look you have got going! It's already lightyears ahead of the official model.

Second: @Dragon Claw: Is that a Foreign Legion soldier clad in dress uniform, leather apron and carrying an axe and phone?! Is there any context to that picture?

Looking good Kage, will be following this and the AoV...

Second: @Dragon Claw: Is that a Foreign Legion soldier clad in dress uniform, leather apron and carrying an axe and phone?! Is there any context to that picture?

It's a tradition held by many Pioneer/Sapper/Engineer units. The beard, axe, apron and leather gloves are all symbols of pioneer units. I believe the French Foreign Legion still retains a Pioneer Platoon but only for ceremonial purposes.

The British Army and Australian Army hold similar traditions - the beard, axe (or tomahawk often) and apron are common symbols for pioneers or blacksmiths within a unit, their role today is ceremonial in nature for most part, generally one NCO is appointed as 'Pioneer Sergeant' of an eligible unit (in Australia it's only 2 Royal Australian Regiment who carry this tradition, though 4RAR has the right to do so if they wanted) to represent these traditions. In the Australian Army the 2RAR Pioneer Sergeant is the only soldier officially authorised to wear a beard, actually, I think he might even be required to wear a beard now I think of it.

A quick Google shows the axe/tomahawk is for pioneers 'clearing the way' whilst the beard, apron and gloves are for protecting the soldier from the blacksmith's forge :D

Probably, Google random image search keeps its secrets well however..... I like to think he's just been sent a plea for help in removing a pig who's got its head stuck in a banister and hey if things get messy, well that's what the apron is there for.

Edit: beaten by SCC's ninja and slightly more coherent post.

Huh. That's actually a very reasonable explanation. One that I should have been able to decipher seeing the dress uniform and the spotlessness of the apron. One more fact to add the the "mostly useless, but might be useful sometime" pile :pinch:

That left arm looks like it will really do the trick. But if I might make two mod suggestions ... Shift the left arm up a bit so that the shoulder 'pad' is above the chest armor, that will help with some of the length issue. The forearm also looks as though it could stand to lose a few mm's.

Otherwise, an interesting concept, and I look forward to what you do with it.

First: I really like the menacing look you have got going! It's already lightyears ahead of the official model.

Thanks. For a conversion nut, that's some of the highest praise I can receive. :confused:

Looking good Kage, will be following this and the AoV...

I intended this to be a side project while I worked on my Angels, but he's having none of that. Khârn's a pretty pushy guy. Who knew?

That left arm looks like it will really do the trick. But if I might make two mod suggestions ... Shift the left arm up a bit so that the shoulder 'pad' is above the chest armor, that will help with some of the length issue. The forearm also looks as though it could stand to lose a few mm's.

Otherwise, an interesting concept, and I look forward to what you do with it.

The left arm is supposed to be higher in the pictures, but the problem is that the last package of blu-tac stuff absolutely sucks. It might work for posters, but it's awful for plastic. Every time I try to take pictures, the arm is constantly falling off or sliding down. I managed to get it into a better position this time:

http://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x5/Kageboshi/KharnWIP3.jpg

I like the new position for the axe. What do you think, brothers?

I had an idea for the teeth on Gorechild, but it didn't work out, so here it is with traditional teeth:

http://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x5/Kageboshi/KharnWIP3_Gorechild.jpg

Oh, and do NOT Google "Gorechild" with Safe Search off. Trust me on this one. Your ability to sleep tonight will thank you.

Archived