That's a really cool concept! You'll have to give a tutorial for the rest of us! 

In terms of a tutorial, there's not really much to say about this. What you need is:

- some background*

- a camera**

- a tripod***

- a rotating platform****

- a miniature

- a source of light*****

- a PC with a graphic processing programme

- a gif-maker, easily found online

* I used a light piece of cardboard

** I highly recommend using manual setting to get consistent images.

*** or simply something to place your camera on and leave it motionless while you photograph

**** I used a small kitchen scales with a glass platform on a screw. As I mentioned, and as it shows in the gif - that wasn't the best option, because during truing the screw went up a bit. I'm thinking now about building a platform using magnets. That way it would be more firm, wouldn't wobble about and wouldn't raise.

***** I took the photos in daylight. But I believe that a light box would be a better option.

With that, the rest is easy. A bit time consuming, but there's no magic in that.

Put the miniature on the rotating platform. Place your camera on the tripod and you aim it at your miniature so that it is located in the middle of the frame. Set your camera's aperture, shutter speed, white balance. You can use auto-setting if you don't feel like tweaking with the settings, and then you can lock those settings, or enter them manually. I also recommend using the smallest available resolution, as you will want to crop the pictures later anyway. Take some test photos to make sure you're happy with the settings. When you're happy with the results, take the first shot of the miniature. Then move the platform slightly, and take another picture. Move it again, and shoot. Repeat this until you have pictures taken from every side (I had something around 40). Then download the images onto your computer, crop them by "cutting off" the sides of the frame to make sure the model is still in the middle (I used photoshop for this, and I used the option "change canvass size" or something similar). All my files after processing were 900x900 pixels. Then upload your files, which are already in the right order thanks to the camera's auto-numbering, to a gif-making site, like this one http://makeagif.com/. The site will create that gif (I set the delay time for 100ms). And there you are.

Yup, that's the easiest way to do it. Another would be to take a video and turn that into a gif, but in the first place it's trickier because you'd need to smoothly turn the figure 360 degrees, needing a proper setup to do it, etc etc. Easier to do stop motion-style. I've though about it, but been too lazy.

Of note, though, is that you don't necessarily need a rotating platform if you can't get a hold of or make one. You can just rotate the figure. However you of course have to be careful to not move it from the same spot, otherwise the GIF will end up... funky. There are some simple ways to make sure it's in the same spot, but I'm sure y'all can figure those out if need be ;)

Of note, though, is that you don't necessarily need a rotating platform if you can't get a hold of or make one. You can just rotate the figure. However you of course have to be careful to not move it from the same spot, otherwise the GIF will end up... funky. There are some simple ways to make sure it's in the same spot, but I'm sure y'all can figure those out if need be :wink:

I figured that rotating the figure in place was too tricky. So I was very glad when my girlfriend got this kitchen scales. Without it, I would be too lazy to do anything like it. I'm still wondering what software GW uses to make their 360-degree spin images.

• 4 weeks later...

Every time I make an effort to paint something quickly, I'm that more surprised how "old" I'm becoming. After a number of hours of work (most of the day, basically) my back is aching as hell. Still, I suppose that it was kind of worth it. Here's the day's progress:

http://i90.photobucket.com/albums/k260/krj_38/Neurode%20Crusade/P1090647_zps8b01c2ec.jpg

Contemptor's done. I hate to rush things, as always I mess something up. This time I was hoping to get the whites done properly. Well, maybe next time I'll manage to do them better. And the freehands did not turn out the way I wanted. Also... painting an already assembled contemptor is a strain. The head, especially. I'm not sure if I'm happy with the highlighting - I never painted vehicles this way. While infantry looks great with sharp highlights, there's something wrong with them on vehicles. I don't know...And some time in the future, I will add some battle damage, to give him a more weathered appearance.

http://i90.photobucket.com/albums/k260/krj_38/Neurode%20Crusade/P1090648_zps0263c1be.jpg

http://i90.photobucket.com/albums/k260/krj_38/Neurode%20Crusade/P1090649_zps13f28aa7.jpg

http://i90.photobucket.com/albums/k260/krj_38/Neurode%20Crusade/P1090650_zpsa1777507.jpg

http://i90.photobucket.com/albums/k260/krj_38/Neurode%20Crusade/P1090654_zpsd6e845bc.jpg

http://i90.photobucket.com/albums/k260/krj_38/Neurode%20Crusade/P1090652_zps0cd4cd2a.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Okay, this is another one of these "what should I get," but I really can't make up my mind. Right now I have an amazing opportunity to buy for a reasonable price (around 60% of the stock price of the Sicaran, a model difficult to find in Poland) either a Sicaran or a Thunderfire cannon. Both models are significantly discounted and the difference between them is roughly 10 quid. So, which should I get?

I should mention that I'm scratch building two TFCs which will be operated by proxied techmarines (with one servo arm, instead of the harness). Buying the TFC would save me something like 30 hours of work and the problem of having alternate models. But on the other hand, I'm a bit terrified of getting the original finecast TFC - it seems to me a very fragile and problematic model with all the pieces.

The Sicaran is probably one of the best looking tanks out there. And its rules are also very, very appealing - for 135 - 190 points you get a beautiful, resilient tank, with a ton of anti-infantry and anti-light amour firepower. And whereas I feel like building a TFC from scratch and 'upgrading' the model to my liking, I wouldn't start a Sicaran.

On the one hand, my problem seems dumb - I kind of feel like getting the "unique" (in my environment) Sicaran. But the TFC's price is also nice, and makes me wonder. Help? :sad.:

I'd say grab a Sicaran, that thing is gorgeous and a total beast. The Thunderfire is cool and plays well, but as you say, the model is tricksy and you can more readily proxy a turret and techmarine for a Thunderfire without ruffling as many feathers as claiming your rhino is a Sicaran :P

Thank you for your replies. Sicaran it is! Now I have no traces of doubt whether that's the right choice. I can't wait to get my hand on it.

I just hope that it won't be a pain to assemble and paint it. Although I haven't seen much of complaining about its quality (unlike Storm Eagles), after my experiences with FW resin dreadnoughts, I'm a bit worried - there is something off about it - I feel it "reacts" with paint differently than plastic models do. I don't know... An amazing nerd-birthday-self-present :D

So, WIP shots are to come! And I'll post some WIP shots of my scratch built TFCs soon.

Thank you for your replies. Sicaran it is! Now I have no traces of doubt whether that's the right choice. I can't wait to get my hand on it.

I just hope that it won't be a pain to assemble and paint it. Although I haven't seen much of complaining about its quality (unlike Storm Eagles), after my experiences with FW resin dreadnoughts, I'm a bit worried - there is something off about it - I feel it "reacts" with paint differently than plastic models do. I don't know... An amazing nerd-birthday-self-present :biggrin.:

So, WIP shots are to come! And I'll post some WIP shots of my scratch built TFCs soon.

Make sure you wash(like soap and water) it really well. They use some kind of mold agent that doesn't come off as easily as other plastics. Also once you've basecoated it, go ahead and dull coat it to help seal it. That method worked pretty well for my Storm Eagle.

I should mention that I'm scratch building two TFCs which will be operated by proxied techmarines (with one servo arm, instead of the harness). Buying the TFC would save me something like 30 hours of work and the problem of having alternate models. But on the other hand, I'm a bit terrified of getting the original finecast TFC - it seems to me a very fragile and problematic model with all the pieces.

One of the options I am considering  for TFCs is using the turret mount for a Whirlwind with the <lotsa missiles> (technical term) for mine. It seems a whole lot easier to build the base part than all the other stuff.

Also, if you end up not fielding the TFC, they can immediately become Hyperios AA launchers.

One of the options I am considering  for TFCs is using the turret mount for a Whirlwind with the <lotsa missiles> (technical term) for mine. It seems a whole lot easier to build the base part than all the other stuff.

Also, if you end up not fielding the TFC, they can immediately become Hyperios AA launchers.

Actually that's not a bad idea... I hate the idea of Space Marines using Cannons... it looks more "guard" than what I expect from Space Marines which I think should be using Missiles or Bolters or Lascannons... a Hyperios Missile Launcher from FW and add in anti-grav plating underneath should work as a fine swap for the cumbersome and hard to build TFC.

Thanks Honda... may I steal the idea?

I just hope that it won't be a pain to assemble and paint it. Although I haven't seen much of complaining about its quality (unlike Storm Eagles), after my experiences with FW resin dreadnoughts, I'm a bit worried - there is something off about it - I feel it "reacts" with paint differently than plastic models do. I don't know... An amazing nerd-birthday-self-present :biggrin.:

Make sure you wash(like soap and water) it really well. They use some kind of mold agent that doesn't come off as easily as other plastics. Also once you've basecoated it, go ahead and dull coat it to help seal it. That method worked pretty well for my Storm Eagle.

I'll do that this time. I know that we should wash our models, even plastics, before undercoating. But I usually skip that part our of laziness. However, this time I'll want to paint my tank without unpleasant surprises, so I'll scrub it good :)

I never thought of that. I wanted to build 3-4 tarantulas with hyperios launchers for my AA, but like many other of my projects, that one has been suspended. I figured that there are other things to make that are more important than AA, especially that now we have "regular" access to flyers and Stalkers/Hunters.

Unfortunately, I guess that building those turrets will be painful because of the, let me use the technical term, "lotsa missiles". To avoid the problem of acquiring or, God forbid, modelling the tips of the rockets, I wanted to make them less sticking out and more hidden inside the "rocket barrels" and probably behind "blinds." I had trouble finding the right image for what I have in mind, but this one's close enough.

http://www.cgf.gr/images/stories/tutorials/3dmax/airframe_missile_launcher.jpg

And for the cannon itself, I absolutely love it! What I hate it's its chassis and its tracks. It looks extremely flimsy and fragile and somewhat too "machanicus." That's why I'm taking off the cannon (two versions thereof, one from the actual TFC model, and one stylised to resemble that on a LR Achilles) and mounting it in a Rapier(-inspired) chassis, which by my standards looks way better.

Ideas are for sharing.

It's yet one more thing that separates us from another supposedly popular chapter, the one whose focus is on secrets.

i want to see the Rapier conversion idea, that sounds astounding. 

As soon as I have something more substantial than some pipes put together (I failed to make them look good at the initial stages, which doesn't make me feel very optimistic about the final model) I'll post some pictures. I started with the cannon-barrels and there's a lot of work ahead of me before they are "publishable." It seems that my modelling skills got rusty and I need to reset. And I'm finding myself in a strange place - I simply accept a certain degree of imperfection, which made me uneasy earlier. Now I know that the cock-ups somewhat get 'lost' when the project develops. That, and making nice, circular objects out of plasticard is tough.

Ideas are for sharing.

It's yet one more thing that separates us from another supposedly popular chapter, the one whose focus is on secrets.

So does that mean that a simple purchase of a hyperios launcher tarantula thingy, could then be magnetised to its base and reasonably employed as a thunderfire cannon with a techmarine, or removed from its base and placed on a razorback chassis for a hyperios whirlwind? This is an idea I find particularly appealing!

Alright! Time to share another idiotic project. But I'm very determined to finish this one within a reasonable timespan and I shall reject any other scratch-building ideas that inevitably will occur.

Here's the rationale: the original TFC is for one, expensive, and the model isn't that great. I'm not a fan of the tracks in particular. Those shortcomings combined with my, hm, "imagination" led me to believe that I can build my own, budget and 'improved' TFCs. The trade-off (cheap, but requiring many, many hours of nerd-building) appears reasonable. By now (with the many initiated projects) I should know better. But I'm doing this nonetheless... (luckily I like assembling models!) I just can't seem to accept the price tag on GW's resin model.

The idea is to build 2 TFCs, just for fun and potential battlefield employment. 2 units is better than one, and I really believe that making 2 simultaneously won't be too big of a problem and time-sink.

Both cannons will be mounted on rapier-like chassis. But as I'm building two of them, I figured I want to make them different. That's why the set of barrels on one cannon will resemble GW's pattern, while the other one will be stylized to look like FW's TFC from LR Achilles.

And I want to share the second one with you today:

http://i90.photobucket.com/albums/k260/krj_38/Thunderfire%20Cannon/achilles4_zps301d4895.jpg

http://i90.photobucket.com/albums/k260/krj_38/Thunderfire%20Cannon/P1090690_zpsd0c7f61c.jpg

http://i90.photobucket.com/albums/k260/krj_38/Thunderfire%20Cannon/P1090691_zps3fb3c750.jpg

http://i90.photobucket.com/albums/k260/krj_38/Thunderfire%20Cannon/P1090692_zpse8e24961.jpg

It's far from perfect, but for the first time (or at least it feels like it's the first time) I can live with that. I want to make finish the project in a reasonable time, so I can't (and don't feel like) spending long hours to achieve "perfection." Especially with rolling plastic, which inevitably is bound to be bent. At least with my tools and skills.

I'm still working on all the "actuators" and other detail on the second model. Me and green stuff, we're not good friends. Considering the time I can devote to the hobby, it should be ready by tomorrow.

Well, I just bought a ticket for this hype train!  Seriously good stuff, looking forward to the end product. 

Hop on! Everyone's welcome :) And I'm glad you like it!

I'm planning to do organize my hobby a bit, so I'm focusing all my efforts on two things: thunderfires, and dreadnoughts - a healthy mix of painting and model making. That should allow me to progress with my army. That also should mean that over the next weeks I will regularly post pictures of my progress.

And, everyone, thanks for viewing and "liking!" As always, that's very motivating :)