Upper side armour (exterior of the cockpit):

jqKIjYM.jpg

BuGKSVv.jpg

And the work I did six years ago, with the interior of the cockpit:

xSH2DMA.jpg

EnQRUVq.jpg

4OwgkkJ.jpg

CkPP9ff.jpg

I must say, I am impressed by my persistence back then. Today I wouldn't bother to cut paper clips with pliers and glue them with super glue (which I hate). I also wouldn't bother to drill holes to place pinheads as buttons/screens. The labour put into these parts is exceptional. Unfortunately, it doesn't really translate into quality since many of the bits are noticeably more asymmetrical or misaligned than I find acceptable today, but I'm not scraping that work.

Next, I want to finish the parts above (add missing detail, refine elements of my earlier work), undercoat them and glue on top of the existing transport bay. I think this is the right path to take now to ensure other parts fit together nicely and the entire construction is sturdy enough. After the sides are done, I'll see how the parts are meant to fit together and how my structure fits together (there may be discrepancy between the blueprint and the model due to thickness of plasticard used). Afterwards, I'll be able to work on the top of the front of the fuselage and the canopy.

• 1 month later...

Since the forum is up again, I'll just leave this here:

The canopy is mostly done; only exterior detail behind the canopy (on the canopy's mounting area) are missing. The bluish bits will be used as glass in the wind shield (i.e. transparent plastic still in protective wrap). The loose elements are panels which are both interior details and a means to lock the 'panes' more securely in place (as you can see in the last image showing the whole thing dry-fitted together). Overall, I'm extremely happy with the way this turned out. While it isn't as detailed as it could be (and as faithful to FW's model), I'm sure it'll look amazing once its painted and the transparent plastic is in place.

kHmtlYK.jpg

Front panel with small monitors:

vwjZtKk.jpg

Close-up on the small grilles:

1je8nBD.jpg

Rear interior panels:

W2Q08kk.jpg

Interior of the canopy:

LM9Yc3M.jpg

And all of the above dry-fitted together:

LoCLdfP.jpg

MbpGknw.jpg

EsnJEe9.jpg

I'm not visiting the forum as often as I'd like, hence my neglect to react in any way. As always, thank you for the amazing support.

In the meantime I've made a very important decision... which I haven't reconsidered yet. I even went so far as to write it on paper in ink. In this digital age, this has to mean something. The decision is that I "quit" scratch building.

[Platitude alert! Skip to next paragraph if you want to save your 15 brain cells; American scientists estimate that this many cells shall die if you read something as obvious as that. Research shows that this may also result in a 0.15 drop in IQ levels. You have been warned.] I really like doing it, but as I'm growing older, I have to take up more responsibilities and have less time than I used to. In result, I can't afford to "waste" time on this stuff since I also have other stuffs going on for me. I'm also afraid that the decrease of hobby time will be exponential.

Recently, I found myself to be too preoccupied with planning on next plasticard projects. 'Will it be 2 Land Raiders or a Fellblade,' I pondered. 'I'm also stocked up with plasticard for a number of builds, it would be a waste to waste the money*'. 'These things are so cool!'

Ultimately, I decided not to plan any future projects. To disregard any ideas and arguments that I have: to build this or that, to convert this or that, to add this or that to my crusade. This seams like a reasonable thing to do. It also appears to be a good time to do it: the Thunderhawk was the thing that got me into this mess aspect of the hobby, and while building the Thunderhawk I will end with it.

To cater to the needs of my I really like scratch building part of my self, I have so many projects to finish that I've started and abandoned over the years that I should have an excuse to get that hobby knife, mat and glue out for the next 2-5 years.

In case you're interested, this is the list of my plasticard projects:

1. one Neurode Pattern Vindicator (finished, needs tweaking)
  2. one Neurode Pattern Storm Raven (finished)
  3. two Neurode Pattern Rhino (finished, need painting)
  4. one Thunderhawk (in progress)
  5. one Custom Land Raider Spartan (finished, 50% painted, needs sponson adjustments)
  6. one all-in-one Land Raider (suspended)
  7. one Caestus (suspended, on the brink of being cancelled due to rules change)
  8. one Aegis Defence Line (cancelled, the parts I built will be used for the diorama/base for the Thunderhawk)
  9. two Custom Thunderfire Cannon (cancelled, I will probably revive the project and finish at least one piece)
  10. one Contemptor Dreadnought (cancelled once I discovered that it is greatly out of scale; I will probably get back to it and build a count-as Leviathan)
  11. four Tarantula Sentry Guns (cancelled, despite that I finished the four 'bases')

As you can see, over the years I've had many an idea; many were undermined by GW's rules changes (like the Caestus which used to be fun, but became lacklustre and overpriced instead), many were suspended and replaced by fresher ideas which seemed at the time as better ideas. Right now I value my time very much and feel bad about all of it spent on the unfinished projects. That's why, in order not to "waste" all of that time, I want to focus on finishing what I started instead of doing the same mistake over and staring something more exciting. After I will have finished these, however, I should be done with scratch building using plasticard**. I cannot predict whether I'll uphold this decision. I hope that the note I wrote will help be do so, however.

*Roughly an equivalent of one dinner.

**At least things for 40K in 40K scale.

• 1 month later...

Greetings brothers! With my motivation to work on anything hobby-related is at an all time low, I actually managed to break the enchanted circle of despair and ineptitude and paint something. To an enormous extent, this was with the aid of this community and the Knightfall challenge. With some additional free time on a sick leave, I managed to paint three models for the challenge and later on two additional marines. I also figured that this is an appropriate time to take some proper pictures and share with you.

es0M4wg.jpg

ibrIpvt.jpg

wbEZrPe.jpg

n6yyVEV.jpg

FTXvBUv.jpg

eRphJ7X.jpg

DvD6i86.jpg

aTfqH6v.jpg

uRKajCp.jpg

jCNrPu9.jpg

U6xFU5T.jpg

I3Fkk0r.jpg

uLyzcKh.jpg

vD9bnHz.jpg

x32dHh7.jpg

Two of the Marines have magnetised wrists and here's how they look like with alternative wargear:

qkhKjDQ.jpg

sTsaibf.jpg

LNT6JdJ.jpg

With me losing hope in getting anything close to decent rules for the models I have, I lost almost all of the drive to continue with painting my troops. Before 8th edition, I felt like the units I have are something permanent - the rules between editions didn't seem to change drastically. Presently, 70% of the stuff I own is underwhelming or and outright burden.

The thought of getting rid of my collection keeps on haunting me, but I believe that this is not going to happen - there still is the zeal and devotion to the Chapter and no Black Templar commander will abandon his troops (or so I think). I think that this glimmer of resolve keeps me going. And stubbornness, no company should spoil my satisfaction from painting my troops.

On the topic of painting, I developed a new process/routine which was supposed to allow me to save me more time and improve the the pace of pumping ready soldiers out. The main difference is in the way I do highlights - now using the dry brush technique. The results are similar in terms of aesthetics, better in terms of how fine the lines are and awesome in terms of satisfaction - the process of doing the highlights is no longer a chore!

Well, the new process/routine didn't bring the anticipated results - I subconsciously insist on trying to get things 'perfect' which results in frustration since I can't get things right (or up to a higher standard). Luckily, I've grown to enjoy the final effect from an arm's length perspective. The photos obviously and mercilessly bring all defects out, however.

Any and all feedback is greatly appreciated. Since you are the only people involved in the hobby I have contact with, I can't emphasise how important it is for me to have an opportunity to share my work with others and hear their opinions!

With me losing hope in getting anything close to decent rules for the models I have, I lost almost all of the drive to continue with painting my troops. Before 8th edition, I felt like the units I have are something permanent - the rules between editions didn't seem to change drastically. Presently, 70% of the stuff I own is underwhelming or and outright burden.

The thought of getting rid of my collection keeps on haunting me, but I believe that this is not going to happen - there still is the zeal and devotion to the Chapter and no Black Templar commander will abandon his troops (or so I think). I think that this glimmer of resolve keeps me going. And stubbornness, no company should spoil my satisfaction from painting my troops.

On the topic of painting, I developed a new process/routine which was supposed to allow me to save me more time and improve the the pace of pumping ready soldiers out. The main difference is in the way I do highlights - now using the dry brush technique. The results are similar in terms of aesthetics, better in terms of how fine the lines are and awesome in terms of satisfaction - the process of doing the highlights is no longer a chore!

Well, the new process/routine didn't bring the anticipated results - I subconsciously insist on trying to get things 'perfect' which results in frustration since I can't get things right (or up to a higher standard). Luckily, I've grown to enjoy the final effect from an arm's length perspective. The photos obviously and mercilessly bring all defects out, however.

Any and all feedback is greatly appreciated. Since you are the only people involved in the hobby I have contact with, I can't emphasise how important it is for me to have an opportunity to share my work with others and hear their opinions!

I know how you feel, we're getting some rules and support in the Vigilus and I expect from Chapter Approve, but I think the time of the non-Primaris Marines is slowly drawing to a close... they have already Primaris'd Calgar, and obviously there's been a lot of demand from the BT fanbase for a Helbrecht, Grimaldus, the Emperor's Champion and a Primaris Assault Squad... it's technically a call to Primaris practically everything unique about the BT, and obviously a demand as well for Primaris to able to use basic Astartes vehicles...

Personally, I'd prefer them to only be able to use vehicles created by Cawl, just so those that wants everything Primaris can't have the best of both worlds and have to buy the new vehicles as well even if they look like Stormravens without wings... Land Raiders, Razorbacks, Drop Pods and Rhinos belong to the true Astartes...

I recently did a poll with the Black Templars and the Imperium of Man facebook group asking if I should give up my old Templars and go Xenos until the Primaris farce blows over or stick with my Knights and stand firm against getting Primaris like a boulder against the sea... overwhelming 250+ voted that I keep my old Templars and keep building while only 25+ people suggested I give them up... that says a lot... there's still a lot of support for the old Marines, and I suggest that we keep up the faith and stand firm, I'm sure that when they are eventually phased out, we'll be too dim-eyed and too shaky to even paint or play anyway...

Great looking marines, I especially like the the one standing at ease with the sword!

When primaris Calgar was shown off, I was kind of torn on primaris vs regular marines.  I came to the realization that I bought and built and painted all these models because I liked them and that I still like them even with primaris marines being a thing.  So I am going to keep playing my regular marines even if I have to play them using "counts as".  If regular marines get phased out, then I'll just pop them onto some tall bases and play them using primaris rules.  Even if GW plans on dropping support for regular marines, I have a hard time seeing it happen any time soon.  Ultimately, life is too short to stress over things like this that are supposed to be enjoyable.  If you enjoy regular marines, then paint and play regular marines, if you enjoy primaris, then play primaris.

The whole Primaris matter thing is something I struggle to come to terms with intellectually; upon analysing my facade statement that I don't care about Primaris, I have to concede that I in fact in some way care, which results in unwelcome conflict and unnecessary self-contradiction. And this is driving me mad.

So, as I already stated in the opening sentence, my first response to the Primaris matter is that I don't care about them. But what I probably actually mean is that I have nothing against them. However, after a short reflection this claim doesn't hold water too. What I probably actually want to say is that I'm over the whole thing - I can exist in a world where Primaris are a thing... yeah... But can I? Apparently, no, I can't. At least not so easily as I'd like to think I can or could. But not because I fear that my models (i.e. the ones I have and not the entire regular marines range, mind you) get somehow invalidated. No. They're here to stay since I put my heart and soul into them, even the unpainted ones. There are more profound and complex reasons behind my struggle.

I suppose that I overthink the entire matter and place it in a larger picture of my recent dissatisfaction with broadly construed popular culture.

Allow me an attempt to explain this.

I have 3 primary issues related to Primaris:

1. Disclaimer: This is not something directly related to them, but the writing is there. I 'blame' Primaris for ruining the rules for many regular Marine units. My discussion of rules is limited to C:SM because that's the only codex I'm familiar with. And from what I read on this forum, it is quite poor when compared to many other books, which is a totally different issue.

In my opinion, all Primaris units are decent/good, which isn't the case with regular SM units. The vehicles - Land Speeders, Vindicators, Land Raiders, Drop Pods, Stormtalons and Stormravens - are either utterly useless or inferior to Primaris units. Take Inceptors as a fast attack choice, or compare Land Raiders/Stormravens and Repulsors. Now take heavy and support infantry - the regular Marines have an edge in anti-armour roles (lascannon Devastators), but Aggressors and Hellblasters are great choices, unlike the overpriced Centurions and the iconic (and laughable) Terminators. Finally, Intercessors gutted bolter marines since they have 'proper space marine stats': are more durable and have actual rifles and not glorified lasguns. The fact that regular botlers don't have any AP is outrageous.

And now, I don't hope or want the Primaris to have poor rules. But I want my previous purchases to have decent or good or simply balanced rules too! I want to be able to use, in casual games, my Vindicators and Stalker and Centurions and Stormtalons and Terminators and bloody-expensive Drop Pods that I bought and never got to use without feeling like punishing myself before the game starts. But I can't.

Maybe I could in a friendly game, but I'm an outsider in my local gaming community (due to many actual duties) and don't have any gaming friends. While it's on me that I don't have gaming friends, the game itself should be a mechanical framework to make any list work (the point system should serve a purpose, right?). But it doesn't. Definitions of casual or friendly games vary between people too. And I can't imagine trying to arrange a friendly game with a random person and make all the reservations in hope to have decent fun with my Terminators and bikers (mind you, I don't need to win games, but I don't want to have any more experiences like I had where my 'gaming' was basically limited to rolling armour saves).

These impressions and fears confirm my belief that the product and service I bought (miniatures to use in a game + game rules) are broken. Or rather got broken in an update made by GW. The short period when 8th Edition was limited to Indexes was my second best time I had with this game since I started in 5th. But GW utterly ruined that for me. In consequence, I'm not willing to buy anything from a company that breaks (and false advertises!) the product (or service) it sells because these practices ruin the emperor-damned market. Just take a look at the current controversies in the video game industry. I don't feel like or even can't contribute to the problem which eats away at the 'ludic sector'. Because if I buy stuff from GW, I'm sending them a clear message: everything is fine, I like what you're doing, keep up the good work. And I simply can't agree to that.

Which brings me to...

2. I'm :censored:  with GW for preventing me from buying more of their stuff. This paradox makes total sense, I assure you :P. I'd love to be able to have an entire army of 'true-scale' marines. I'd like to exchange my Stormtalons and Centurions for some of the later releases, but I can't do that because I were a hoarder and I got that stuff for the future which didn't come due to poor rule support. For reasons of self-composure outlined above, I also can't get any of the new stuff - the Repulsor (which I could improve on) or Primaris infantry or the Stormhawk which is a huge improvement over the Stormtalon.

On the topic of Primaris infantry, I like the better proportions. I could like the increased size, but they seem to big. They would work better if they scaled better with existing model ranges, but in my opinion they don't. I like the look of the new guns. But the models seem quite limited and boring, however (too much Call of Duty, not enough Gothic); and from what I see in people's plogs, this is true since the gross majority of armies have a repetitive, almost 'cookie-cutter' vibe to them, something that I didn't get with most regular marine armies. But maybe that's just me and my bias.

While I'm quite resolute not to add Primaris to my 'proper' 40K crusade, I could get 5-10 upscaled marines to form a kill team and just have them for the sake of having larger and (arguably) cooler models. But I won't do that, regrettably, because I don't agree to what GW is doing.

And on the topic of what GW is doing...

3. GW has wasted and continues to waste so many opportunities with Primaris. They introduced (arguably) unnecessary strife to the community, they upset a lot of people and they (arguably) ruined the lore by turning a 'setting' into a 'space opera' with Primarchs and heroes in the centre, which by default places some factions in the spotlight which is only further troublesome for the entire setting and game (e.g. factions with a Primarch-like unit have a clear advantage over those who don't). Personally, I'm not a fan of the changes they've made. And not because I'm against change and progress, but because I see the 'plot progression' as poorly executed.

But Primaris themselves, the released models, annoy me because they killed off so much potential! Other factions deserve updated miniature lines badly - Imperial Guard, Sisters of Battle, Eldar, Orks or, the worst offender, Chaos. But GW chooses to release larger marines instead (I suppose because they are a sure profit). And afterwards, they decide to 'excite' the community with more 'exciting' and flashy (unlike the down-to-earth IG) stuff for the bloated Imperium - Custodes and more Imperial Knights and now apparently more Primaris.

Instead of taking a risk and make an effort to supply a part of the neglected customer base with new miniatures and better rules, GW plays it safe and does something which is clearly good for the company (see where 'playing it safe' has brought EA or Bethesda), but comes at the expense of the entire 40K franchise. The universe could be that more interesting if they'd focus more on other factions (like they do with Genestealer Cults) instead of adding more to an already ginormous amalgam - the entire Space Marine family. Instead, I feel we get a boring setting even more focused on bigger super soldiers led by uninspired characters involved in simplistic and bombastic plots (I'd better stop here and not be going into detail of my take on recent 40K lore). And this is the main reason I would rather not see any new Primaris releases.

If I were to be excited about anything in the hobby now, I'd be excited about changing my mind. I can't wait for GW to finally get capable and sort the rules out. But I'm not holding my breath for Chapter Approved. I did that last year and nothing good came of it (just a nerf to the Stormraven that I finished painting). I'll just wait for the release and see what you guys make of it.

This all led me to a quite sad conclusion where I simply don't care about new things in 40K any more. They are supposedly exciting, judging by the posts I happen to read here, but they're happening somehow beside me. Like a train that's about to depart, but from a different platform than the one I'm waiting for - surely there are people who wait for that train, but it's just not me. And this realisation is depressing, even when I look back to my anticipation of Gathering Storm and 8th Edition.

In conclusion, I think that my doubts about the hobby and the nagging idea to end with 40K are motivated by forces larger than the introduction Primaris. Contributing factors are my occasional dissatisfaction with my painting skills (which surfaces from time to time during finishing touches on models, usually after a long painting session), lack of time, poor gaming environment (i.e. rules for 8th edition and disappointing balance of Codices), the new background (which I can easily ignore, but which sets future trends) and uncertainty about the validity and viability of my collection in the future. The most destructive force is working in solitude and not having an opportunity to interact with other people, but that's largely my fault which I try to make up for on this forum.

@Roujackis - The people were totally right, I'd cast a vote to bolster the ~250 individuals. Don't you dare sell you army, your beautifully customised marines. No money will compensate the work and effort you put into making your collection!

@Robofish - Sure, I'll keep on painting and sharing my work with you! The support is something that really keeps me going.

And I already started adjusting my army as 'count as' Primaris - I've started with using the only 32 mm bases I have to make a squad of 5 'Intercessors' and 5 'Hellblasters' who will ride in a 'Repulsor' (customised Land Raider). I don't think that regular marines will get phased out (after all, we had an official statement from GW!) but if they do, I'll just attach my marines on 25mm bases onto 32 mm bases - this should offset the difference in height well enough!

PS: I also discovered that I haven't posted any pictures of my Power Axe Castellan, Apothecary and Standard Bearer in this thread. I'll need to make up for this oversight!

Edited by Brother Cristopher

Thank you, Bjorn! As for the bases, just some ordinary sand with grass and small rocks. Nothing fancy.

Now for the miniatures that I haven't shared with you.

94U9IY4.jpg

Custom standard bearer (the model unfortunately turned out to quite dumb):

kHTuz8O.jpg

cOufqA7.jpg

Gl7j2xZ.jpg

BAV6QoF.jpg

A close-up on the custom, master-crafter bullpup boltgun:

tpvq2f9.jpg

And the banner showing my Marshal's personal heraldry:

tmdaxJL.jpg

Kitbashed Apothecary:

k310Zr5.jpg

UVFr5y0.jpg

r9tfMhj.jpg

And the OOP Power Axe Captain:

FCZF9xD.jpg

nircR2t.jpg

LQrhhqo.jpg

Beautiful models, your freehand work is fantastic!

Having made a recent return to the hobby I am still trying to catch up on all the new lore and changes. To me Primaris are just another unit in the space marine line up, but I don't have the considerable time and expense invested in a collection as you and most others do, so although I may not feel your disappointment and frustration I can certainly understand it.

It is a hobby, hobbies are meant to bring you joy. If it is not then sometimes you need to take a step back and re-evaluate what exactly you like about the hobby and what you are getting out of it. Similar to you I have no gaming friends and the closest clubs or stores to me are an hours drive, with the constraints of real life I have never played a game and am not sure I ever will, although I hope that will change. Because of this I just build and paint and give little thought to whether a unit or gear selection is optimum and efficient.

I sincerely hope you rediscover your passion. You and others on this forum are a source of inspiration and your skills with a paintbrush give those of us starting out something to aspire to.

Thanks for the kind words regarding the models and your support. I've taken the time to rethink some issues and now I feel I'm on the right track to reignite the old zeal!

I find it always nice to learn that there are others who share some of my problems. I wish you the best of luck with attempting to play a game and hope that when that happens, you'll have a great time!

Your approach to the hobby is very healthy - keep up the great work, too!

I feel in the same boat considering the passing of "small" marines that seems imminent, yet i can't finish my marine stuff atm as i'm a) bored, besides my new Neophytes, which i'll get around to once i got all bits and b) caught up in other projects, AoS and puny Eldar to be precise.

I made up my mind that i will in the near future acquire some kits that i lack to complete my vision of my crusade and round out the pile of shame under my desk. The fading of regular marines will still take a few years, i consider this my opportunity to finally get one army definitely, never look back, DONE. If i get into Primaris, by the time the question even comes up, i'll see if they add another fighting company to my crusade or if i explore another chapter by then. Maybe this kind of mindset helps you calm a little, too. Then again, nothing calms proper ZEAL! ;)

@Wolfhart - Thanks for sharing your story and plans! Comments like these are very helpful and give me a much needed sense of belonging to a community.

I made up my mind that i will in the near future acquire some kits that i lack to complete my vision of my crusade and round out the pile of shame under my desk. The fading of regular marines will still take a few years, i consider this my opportunity to finally get one army definitely, never look back, DONE.

This probably is the best part about Primaris and GW with their 8th edition. Despite me stewing in negativity for some time, being annoyed with the state of the universe, game and products allowed me to reinforce my resolution not to buy anything more for my army. In result, the only things that drag my army progress down are my scratch builds. For other stuff, for once I actually reduce my backlog of unpainted models. Granted, there are a couple of thins I'd like to add just to complete a 'vision' (I'd like to be able to round off my assets to fives [i.e. have 15 Rhino chassis instead of 14 and 210 PA Marines instead of 207] and threes), but they'll have to wait.

@The Spanish Inquisitor - Thanks, I'm glad you like it! I must admit that even I am quite surprised how well it looks on a close-up shot.

As for future projects... I must confess that my plan to paint another batch of Marines (I was thinking some OOP metal "Vanguard Veterans" as well as a little special in-your-face to the Ultramarines) failed miserably due to... the climate and weather.

I mean, I'm not sure if this is actually the case or I'm just looking for an excuse, but I don't think that undercoating metal marines now is smart. I undercoat my miniatures on my balcony. Over the last couple of days, the weather in my town's been awful - cold, dreary and damp. I also remember reading that weather may impact spray paints. Apparently, they don't like when it's too cold or too hot or too humid (and I don't blame them! :wink: ). While I don't have any first hand experience with bad undercoating, I have had the most awful incident with sealing some miniatures for Descent (a board game) with a matte varnish in similar conditions. In result, I had a whitish mist/coating on my freshly-painted monsters. That's why I'll probably wait with starting new projects until the weather is noticeably better... or maybe even till spring.

However, I don't want to stop my good decent some progress on my army which was initiated by Knightfall. In result, I decided to get back to my old miniatures and choose some for repainting.

After some deliberation, I figured I should revisit my very beginning - I chose my Assault on Black Reach crusaders - the very first miniatures I've ever painted. I'm quite nostalgic, so I'm not going to completely repaint these Marines - I'll just update the colours, add depth and improve highlighting. Oh, and actually paint them black. Apparently, back then I thought that a good black undercoat is enough and didn't bother to undercoat them, so they are a bit more shiny than the rest of my army. Even though this decision will compromise quality, I feel that it's right to honour these crusaders and upgrade them, while retaining as much of the original paintwork and 'spirit' as possible.

• 2 weeks later...

While I'm slowly working on my first crusaders, I also have taken some time to arrange and organise the neglected areas of my collection. I prepared some terminators for further processing (i.e. stripped paint and disassembled them as best as I could) and reorganised my bits box. Everything seems to be going quite nicely, I must admit.

However, there is one odd aspect of my force, namely, bikes. Over the last couple of years I forced myself to get some for my Crusade. This was probably mostly due to their popularity in the previous edition(s) - I'm not sure, though. The bottom line is that I now have seventeen bikes, including two or three assault bikes.

Right now, I'm debating whether to sell them. Since I got all of them second-hand, I should be able to get their price back at the very least. I suppose that I even have a change to profit from selling them. Unlike terminators and too much regular infantry, I don't feel that they're a fitting part of my army (and 40K marines in general). I suppose that transport vehicles are good enough to transport marines, while fast attack roles can be successfully handled by assault marines, land speeders and flyers.

I suppose that the only thing that keeps me from selling them is the possibility that bikes will become all the rage once again and I might regret letting them go. When it comes to drawbacks that I see, I have to admit that I'm still not very fond of the idea of bikes for Space Marines, I'm not a fan of the way they look and (probably most importantly) working on the models will take a lot of time - from stripping paint, through prepping, to finally painting, that's a lot of hobby time devoted to models that I probably don't really care for.

Any thoughts? Should I keep them as a means of future-proofing my army or should I try to sell the first thing that from my 40K collection? Basically, I'm looking for some input to justify keeping the bikes... After all, 17 'mounted' Marines, armed with plasma and melta guns, don't sound like a bad idea.

Edited by Brother Cristopher

I sold mine a while back as I hate the models. I don't hate the concept, but would prefer jetbikes back.

I do now regret it however. Having a couple of company veteran bikers may be fun right about now, especially coupled with a Marshal on bike.

Saying all that, I do have a Custode jetbike Marshal conversion, and two spare jetbikes. So I think I'll use those instead.

I know they are a pain to paint and don't loot all that great, but DO NOT SELL THE BIKES OFF! I'm not sure what games you get into, but there is a niche for them to fill that assault marines and Landspeeders cannot.

I played an objective game with an Ork player a WHILE back, and his helicopter vehicles (not entirely sure what they're called ATM) swooped in all too quickly and took it for the duration of the game. I had LS and Assault, but the LS cannot take it, and the Assault couldn't reach it in time. I brike down and got a trio of bikes after that.

I admit that I don't use them much, but when I do, they are great harrassing units with good toughness and firepower for their niche.

They don't appeal to many, and I get that, but if you get rid of them ALL, you will regret it in the future. If you're not entirely sold on the idea of the number you have, maybe only sell a few of them and keep a Codex full compliment. Best of both worlds there.

When it comes to drawbacks that I see, I have to admit that I'm still not very fond of the idea of bikes for Space Marines,

I share your sentiments. I've never bought into the idea of bikes as a concept. Scouts on bikes...yeah, we do that kind of stuff now, but I've just never got there.

So, I've never done bikes, never will.

I would say, don't do it for game reasons, rules change, today's hotness is tomorrow's bench warmer. Keep things you'll play with regardless of the rules (assuming  you're not doing the tournament thing).

Not only will you appreciate working on them more, but you'll also find ways to make them work for you in your crusade.

I'm that way with Terminators and drop pods. I don't really care what the meta thinks or other people say. They work for me, let me do the things I want to do, and I really enjoy playing  with them.

My two yen.