I'm not visiting the forum as often as I'd like, hence my neglect to react in any way. As always, thank you for the amazing support.
In the meantime I've made a very important decision... which I haven't reconsidered yet. I even went so far as to write it on paper in ink. In this digital age, this has to mean something. The decision is that I "quit" scratch building.
[Platitude alert! Skip to next paragraph if you want to save your 15 brain cells; American scientists estimate that this many cells shall die if you read something as obvious as that. Research shows that this may also result in a 0.15 drop in IQ levels. You have been warned.] I really like doing it, but as I'm growing older, I have to take up more responsibilities and have less time than I used to. In result, I can't afford to "waste" time on this stuff since I also have other stuffs going on for me. I'm also afraid that the decrease of hobby time will be exponential.
Recently, I found myself to be too preoccupied with planning on next plasticard projects. 'Will it be 2 Land Raiders or a Fellblade,' I pondered. 'I'm also stocked up with plasticard for a number of builds, it would be a waste to waste the money*'. 'These things are so cool!'
Ultimately, I decided not to plan any future projects. To disregard any ideas and arguments that I have: to build this or that, to convert this or that, to add this or that to my crusade. This seams like a reasonable thing to do. It also appears to be a good time to do it: the Thunderhawk was the thing that got me into this mess
aspect of the hobby, and while building the Thunderhawk I will end with it.
To cater to the needs of my I really like scratch building part of my self, I have so many projects to finish that I've started and abandoned over the years that I should have an excuse to get that hobby knife, mat and glue out for the next 2-5 years.
In case you're interested, this is the list of my plasticard projects:
- one Neurode Pattern Vindicator (finished, needs tweaking)
- one Neurode Pattern Storm Raven (finished)
- two Neurode Pattern Rhino (finished, need painting)
- one Thunderhawk (in progress)
- one Custom Land Raider Spartan (finished, 50% painted, needs sponson adjustments)
- one all-in-one Land Raider (suspended)
- one Caestus (suspended, on the brink of being cancelled due to rules change)
- one Aegis Defence Line (cancelled, the parts I built will be used for the diorama/base for the Thunderhawk)
- two Custom Thunderfire Cannon (cancelled, I will probably revive the project and finish at least one piece)
- one Contemptor Dreadnought (cancelled once I discovered that it is greatly out of scale; I will probably get back to it and build a count-as Leviathan)
- four Tarantula Sentry Guns (cancelled, despite that I finished the four 'bases')
As you can see, over the years I've had many an idea; many were undermined by GW's rules changes (like the Caestus which used to be fun, but became lacklustre and overpriced instead), many were suspended and replaced by fresher ideas which seemed at the time as better ideas. Right now I value my time very much and feel bad about all of it spent on the unfinished projects. That's why, in order not to "waste" all of that time, I want to focus on finishing what I started instead of doing the same mistake over and staring something more exciting. After I will have finished these, however, I should be done with scratch building using plasticard**. I cannot predict whether I'll uphold this decision. I hope that the note I wrote will help be do so, however.
*Roughly an equivalent of one dinner.
**At least things for 40K in 40K scale.