Welcome to The Bolter and Chainsword
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

The Neurode Crusade - Plastic Thunderhawk

neurode black templars wip

• Please log in to reply
1032 replies to this topic

Brother Cristopher

Brother Cristopher

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,756 posts
  • Faction: Black Templars

Here are the promised pictures.

Firstly, the parts I have recently been working on:

Bottom side armour (exterior of the transport bay):

zbmuavO.jpg

Upper side armour (exterior of the cockpit):

jqKIjYM.jpg

BuGKSVv.jpg

And the work I did six years ago, with the interior of the cockpit:

xSH2DMA.jpg

EnQRUVq.jpg

4OwgkkJ.jpg

CkPP9ff.jpg

I must say, I am impressed by my persistence back then. Today I wouldn't bother to cut paper clips with pliers and glue them with super glue (which I hate). I also wouldn't bother to drill holes to place pinheads as buttons/screens. The labour put into these parts is exceptional. Unfortunately, it doesn't really translate into quality since many of the bits are noticeably more asymmetrical or misaligned than I find acceptable today, but I'm not scraping that work.

Next, I want to finish the parts above (add missing detail, refine elements of my earlier work), undercoat them and glue on top of the existing transport bay. I think this is the right path to take now to ensure other parts fit together nicely and the entire construction is sturdy enough. After the sides are done, I'll see how the parts are meant to fit together and how my structure fits together (there may be discrepancy between the blueprint and the model due to thickness of plasticard used). Afterwards, I'll be able to work on the top of the front of the fuselage and the canopy.

• Honda, Marshal Wolfhart, Marshal Mattias and 4 others like this

Marshal Vespasian

Marshal Vespasian

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 182 posts
I'm flabbergasted.

That is some great scratchbuilding

But viciousness and glory were no longer enough. Killing enemies in battle was no longer enough. I wanted to fight the Eternal Crusade. I wanted to win the war.

- Reclusiarch Grimaldus

ijLM8FY.jpg

Brother Cristopher

Brother Cristopher

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,756 posts

Since the forum is up again, I'll just leave this here:

The canopy is mostly done; only exterior detail behind the canopy (on the canopy's mounting area) are missing. The bluish bits will be used as glass in the wind shield (i.e. transparent plastic still in protective wrap). The loose elements are panels which are both interior details and a means to lock the 'panes' more securely in place (as you can see in the last image showing the whole thing dry-fitted together). Overall, I'm extremely happy with the way this turned out. While it isn't as detailed as it could be (and as faithful to FW's model), I'm sure it'll look amazing once its painted and the transparent plastic is in place.

kHmtlYK.jpg

Front panel with small monitors:

vwjZtKk.jpg

Close-up on the small grilles:

1je8nBD.jpg

Rear interior panels:

W2Q08kk.jpg

Interior of the canopy:

LM9Yc3M.jpg

And all of the above dry-fitted together:

LoCLdfP.jpg

MbpGknw.jpg

EsnJEe9.jpg

• Marshal Wolfhart, Marshal Mattias, robofish7591 and 3 others like this

Hawklynn

Hawklynn

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 269 posts

I am so jealous of your skills.

Black Templars: 1-1-1 

"So stuff like the Power Axe on the Sword Brother being overcosted and inefficient just isn't relevant to me!
What matters is that it's an angry Space Knight wielding a Big censored.gif Axe!" - HighMarshalAmp

"They killed Fritz!"

ETL_Medal_06.gif ETL_VI_Banner_02_Oathbraker_.jpg

Marshal Mattias

Marshal Mattias

++ PROCURATOR CONVIVALIS ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 2,388 posts
  • Faction: Renascibilitas Crusade

I feel like I say this every time, but....

WOW. Your ability to produce such detail from a sheet of plastic and a hobby knife never ceases to amaze.

Keep up the stellar work!

SWORD BROTHER RYAN

SWORD BROTHER RYAN

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 339 posts
  • Faction: BLACK TEMPLARS

Looking great so far!

SUFFER NOT THE UNCLEAN TO LIVE!

UPHOLD THE HONOR OF THE EMPEROR!

ABHOR THE WITCH, DESTROY THE WITCH​!

ACCEPT ANY CHALLENGE, ​NO MATTER THE ODDS​!

bRbhJY6.gifgallery_38474_6916_3702.jpg

Marshal Wolfhart

Marshal Wolfhart

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 416 posts

I feel like I say this every time, but....

WOW. Your ability to produce such detail from a sheet of plastic and a hobby knife never ceases to amaze.

Keep up the stellar work!

Couldn't say it better. I applaud!

Signature not compliant with forum rules.
[center]No Pity.[/center]
[center]No Remorse.[/center]
[center]No Fear.[/center]
[center] [/center]
[center][spoiler][/center]
[center][img=https://i.imgur.com/yy43gpd.jpg][img=https://i.imgur.com/fj2yO0s.gif][img=http://image.bolterandchainsword.com/uploads/gallery/album_6916/gallery_38474_6916_3702.jpg][img=https://i.imgur.com/s2TiJ3D.png][img=https://i.imgur.com/BOOyh8Z.png][/center]
[center] [/center]
[center][/spoiler][/center]
[center] [/center]
[center][sharedmedia=gallery:images:241275][/center]
[center] [/center]

Brother Cristopher

Brother Cristopher

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,756 posts

I'm not visiting the forum as often as I'd like, hence my neglect to react in any way. As always, thank you for the amazing support.

In the meantime I've made a very important decision... which I haven't reconsidered yet. I even went so far as to write it on paper in ink. In this digital age, this has to mean something. The decision is that I "quit" scratch building.

[Platitude alert! Skip to next paragraph if you want to save your 15 brain cells; American scientists estimate that this many cells shall die if you read something as obvious as that. Research shows that this may also result in a 0.15 drop in IQ levels. You have been warned.] I really like doing it, but as I'm growing older, I have to take up more responsibilities and have less time than I used to. In result, I can't afford to "waste" time on this stuff since I also have other stuffs going on for me. I'm also afraid that the decrease of hobby time will be exponential.

Recently, I found myself to be too preoccupied with planning on next plasticard projects. 'Will it be 2 Land Raiders or a Fellblade,' I pondered. 'I'm also stocked up with plasticard for a number of builds, it would be a waste to waste the money*'. 'These things are so cool!'

Ultimately, I decided not to plan any future projects. To disregard any ideas and arguments that I have: to build this or that, to convert this or that, to add this or that to my crusade. This seams like a reasonable thing to do. It also appears to be a good time to do it: the Thunderhawk was the thing that got me into this mess aspect of the hobby, and while building the Thunderhawk I will end with it.

To cater to the needs of my I really like scratch building part of my self, I have so many projects to finish that I've started and abandoned over the years that I should have an excuse to get that hobby knife, mat and glue out for the next 2-5 years.

In case you're interested, this is the list of my plasticard projects:

1. one Neurode Pattern Vindicator (finished, needs tweaking)
  2. one Neurode Pattern Storm Raven (finished)
  3. two Neurode Pattern Rhino (finished, need painting)
  4. one Thunderhawk (in progress)
  5. one Custom Land Raider Spartan (finished, 50% painted, needs sponson adjustments)
  6. one all-in-one Land Raider (suspended)
  7. one Caestus (suspended, on the brink of being cancelled due to rules change)
  8. one Aegis Defence Line (cancelled, the parts I built will be used for the diorama/base for the Thunderhawk)
  9. two Custom Thunderfire Cannon (cancelled, I will probably revive the project and finish at least one piece)
  10. one Contemptor Dreadnought (cancelled once I discovered that it is greatly out of scale; I will probably get back to it and build a count-as Leviathan)
  11. four Tarantula Sentry Guns (cancelled, despite that I finished the four 'bases')

As you can see, over the years I've had many an idea; many were undermined by GW's rules changes (like the Caestus which used to be fun, but became lacklustre and overpriced instead), many were suspended and replaced by fresher ideas which seemed at the time as better ideas. Right now I value my time very much and feel bad about all of it spent on the unfinished projects. That's why, in order not to "waste" all of that time, I want to focus on finishing what I started instead of doing the same mistake over and staring something more exciting. After I will have finished these, however, I should be done with scratch building using plasticard**. I cannot predict whether I'll uphold this decision. I hope that the note I wrote will help be do so, however.

*Roughly an equivalent of one dinner.

**At least things for 40K in 40K scale.

• Margulix, Marshal Wolfhart and Brother Adelard like this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: neurode, black templars, wip

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users