The Neurode Crusade - Heresy Warning

Awesome work! I must say, looking at your progress has reinvigorated my converting/scratchbuilding desire...keep it up! :thumbsup:

Thanks everyone! You really helped me a lot and sold me the Terminus. In a future (sic!) I'll build it with swappable weapons. Now I just need to waste some time to make some drawings, as the sponson layout needs adjusting. I've always found the tank to be silly, as in the pictures of it that I've seen it appeared to be unable to point both sponsons forward because the front ones blocked some of rear's line of sight. For 300 points it really does look like a great weapon platform, plus it has this 'elite' feel to it, as a dedicated heavy vehicle hunter. It also is a tank from "the good old times", before all the Forge World resin nonsense (Spartans, Typhons, Fellblades etc.), times which were simpler and Marines only had the Terminus and Thunderhawk as super-heavy(esque) options.

I felt the exact same way, and for my (very WIP) Terminus, I took a cue from the Land Raider Crusader's sponson design and stacked the rear lascannons like so:
gallery_45382_4545_21506.jpg
(pardon the dust - it's been sitting on my shelf for quite some time while I've been attending to other, more relevant, projects. Also, I know the targeter would be blocked by the forward sponson - I'll probably replace that with some capacitors or something)

This allows it to clear the forward Predator sponsons and fire all lascannons at the same target.

Thanks for the comment and posting the picture. It actually seems that it can work. I was thinking about someting in a similar vein for my project, but instead of/in addition to stacking the Lascannons one on top of another, I wanted to extend the 'sponson mount' like in the render below:

http://orig05.deviantart.net/e1e2/f/2009/311/e/7/w40k_land_raider_helbrecht_by_andrea1969.jpg

Awesome work! I must say, looking at your progress has reinvigorated my converting/scratchbuilding desire...keep it up! :thumbsup:

And I hope that this is a good thing. From my experience, finding 'inspiration' online to do things may be irritating - makes it all too easy to get sidetracked.

I have made up my mind and want I want to work with the motivation from actually completing assembly of a scratch build vehicle and focus on my Storm Raven. I now believe that I can finish it and later focus on painting. And I really do feel like I should assemble the flyer, as I've started building it in 2014, I think. It deserves to be ready to join the Crusade!

As a reminder (or introduction), I set out to build a Storm Raven. Then changed my mind (as the schematics for a paper model I used were faulty) and decided to go for a Storm Eagle. Then, I changed my mind again and decided to make a 3 in 1 thing: a Raven, Eagle and a Fire Raptor. Now, I'm leaning towards a custom Raven-only. However, considering that I wasted time and effort into preparing the model for have exchangeable parts which means that I also had to work with cutting out big, round holes for the Raptor's side turrets, which was a pain), I now made a final decision to complete a Raven, and leave magnets if I feel like adding the Raptor option in the future. If you're interested, you can see the current state of assembly somewhere in my crusade thread, in my thread dedicated to the project or in my photobucket.

As currently the thing is at ~80% completion, I hope to get my scratch build Neurode pattern Storm Raven ready in one-two weeks. What it needs is 'just' the side panels, landing gear, rocket launchers and a bunch of small detail (lights, weapon housings, etc.).

After more than 1.5 years, here's some progress. And it's really something: I managed to finish the sides. I felt uncomfortable about this step because I lack designing skills and these were needed badly. I was anxious that I'll get things wrong and won't be happy with the results, so I postponed working on the thing. Luckily, thanks to a nice dose of zeal after completing the Land Raider, I faced the problem and this is what I came up with:

http://i90.photobucket.com/albums/k260/krj_38/Storm%20Eagle%20and%20Fire%20Raptor/P1060064_zpsdwcym0hl.jpg

http://i90.photobucket.com/albums/k260/krj_38/Storm%20Eagle%20and%20Fire%20Raptor/P1060064_zpsdwcym0hl.jpg

I also sorted out the problem I had with the placement of the rear landing gear:

http://i90.photobucket.com/albums/k260/krj_38/Storm%20Eagle%20and%20Fire%20Raptor/P1060065_zpsshwfjm0y.jpg

Overall, I draw inspiration/design solutions from a Thunderhawk, and I feel that my version of the rear landing gear carries over principles from a T-hawk (don't break this illusion for me, please).

That is also why, after way too much deliberation, I decided not to include the V-tol engines on the sides of the 'nose' and on the wings. The front engines/thrusters might stay, but as I want to make wings like in the Thunderhawk, parpencicular to the fuselage and not angled downwards like with most Imperial flyers, their placement on the ends of the wings is rather problematic. And a Thunderhawk, which is a way bigger aircraft, manages to operate without those, so will my Raven.

Hello! Well, I just want to say that there is significant project on the Storm Raven. I also know that letting you know this with no pictures is a bit pointless, but I feel I need a bit of motivation to make the final push, and posting here always drives me forward.

I introduced even more alterations to my previous solutions, so scratch what I wrote about the wings and Thunderhawks and no V-toll engines.

Again, I am torn here by conflicting feelings. On the one hand, I'm extremely happy with being SO close to finishing the build. On the other hand, being so close, and yet so far away, is extremely frustrating - especially that things here and things there don't go together as they should and it seems that sorting other things out takes forever. I find scratchbuilding to be generally fun and relaxing and satisfying, but there are also moments like those I go through now which make me question the entire purpose of these projects. The investment of time appears not to be worth the outcome, which is a 'unique' model, but ultimately inferior in quality to what you can buy cheaplishy online.

To sum up, I just need to build the missile launchers, front landing gear and rear floor with the place for the stand... and add a billion small details (some hinges, wires, targeters, rivets, grilles, etc.).

Pictures are coming soon, but firstly I really want to push this thing and complete the model.

Thanks for the kind words and a surge of encouragement.

To put my money -- or a photo, for that matter -- where my mouth is, here's an overview of how the flyer will look like:

http://i90.photobucket.com/albums/k260/krj_38/Storm%20Eagle%20and%20Fire%20Raptor/P1060086_zpsh93f8jjp.jpg

Ladies and gentlemen, the Storm Raven is 99% done. I'm just waiting for green stuff to set so that I can attach the final details. Apart from this, I need to do the rivets, but LUCKILY this won't take much time. I can't wait to take some pictures and share the final result with the world, haha. I should upload some images later today.

In the meanwhile, here are some thoughts after (almost) completing a project I started in February, 2013.

1. I am happy with how the final thing looks. I think I have managed to address a number of issues with GW's variant and improve on the design. Maybe it isn't more likely to fly, with the basic bricky bulk retained, but overall I think that it looks rather cool and fits the 40K Marine aesthetics. I feel that, over the years, I made good use of the various inspirations I found online. Generally, I think that the Storm Raven's fuselage should be longer, like those on a FW Storm Eagle or after applying the Chapterhouse upgrade.

2. What I am unhappy with is how much time sunk into this. Assembling a model from scratch is time-consuming in itself, but the number of adjustments, alterations and ideas I've introduced to my variant takes this to an entirely new level of insanity. Honestly speaking, I have a love-hate relationship with the scratch building aspect of the hobby. On the one hand, I love it: it may be an extremely satisfying activity, especially when I feel proud of the final product, like with the Land Raider and now the Storm Raven. This also allows me to get unique vehicles to support my Crusade for 'free', money-wise at least. On the other hand, the amount of time I waste on this nonsense is extremely frustrating. I found myself wasting three days on the final touches and adjustments, when I thought I can finish the project in one day.

3. With one exception I've already planned and made initial sketches of, I will probably never undertake to build a model from scratch, according to my own 'design', if I can even speak of such a thing. While building HIPS vehicles based on papercraft blueprints is passable as an activity due to its more 'reconstructive' nature, coming up with the looks of a vehicle with no skills in proper design (like making a 3D model or even printable parts) turned out to be something unbelievably frustrating. This became apparent during the final stages of assembly, when I had to (or wanted to) fit additional bits and pieces to almost inaccessible places. Never. More.

4. No new scratch build flyer projects. I will finish in the future my Caestus and the iconic, classic Thunderhawk and will not start a new one. Seriously, these things have so many little details to reproduce, that it's mind-boggling.

5. It is a pity I 'wasted' some of my own work by changing my mind a couple of times and rmeoving parts I already made. I might recycle them as material for a base for an Imperial Knight or my Thunderhawk, however.

6. I am quite crossed with GW. At some point, I wanted to name my vehicle differently and I thought a StormHawk is a great idea: the 'storm' part being used with lighter SM aircraft (Raven, Eagle), and the 'hawk' as a tribute to the Thunderhawk. But now GW decided to make an interceptor named like that. ThunderRaven (to indicate a link to the Thunderhawk) seems a bit silly; so I'll probably stick with either a Storm Raven or will claim that this vehicle is a "Stormhawk Gunship".

By the way, I have a linguistic enquiry. I also considered the name Storm Raven Dropship (to indicate the extended transport capacity of the craft); do you think that this would work for a vehicle used primarily for delivering troops and assisting them after the landing (thus, being armed with a nose-mouted heavy bolter; and having the rear-mounted lascannons and rockets to air-to-air capabilities). I left this idea aside because I feel that a dropship is more of a sci-fi orbit-to-ground transporter.

Yeah, unfortunately. I get easily distracted and am still naive. That is why I take on these various projects in the honest belief that "this time it won't take that much time", but it does (the Raven is a prime example). And now, I feel quite inclined to test my naivety once again and see whether I'd be able to finish the Caestus soon, as it's in a rather advanced stage of assembly.

http://i90.photobucket.com/albums/k260/krj_38/Caestus%20Assault%20Ram%20scratch%20build/P1130153_zpsy9cn35ks.jpg

Plus, details on one of it's 'beams' are mostly done:

http://i90.photobucket.com/albums/k260/krj_38/Caestus%20Assault%20Ram%20scratch%20build/P1130161_zpsrmwp43ag.jpg

So, I'd like to get back to painting and seeing proper progress with my Crusade, but at the same time I'd like to finish all of my in-progress projects.

Edited by Brother Cristopher

I've typed much about the project, how it changed, developed, devolved etc. That is why, I'll just post some pictures of the 'completed' model. I am looking forward to painting this beast in hope that paint will cover up all the messy areas. If not, I convinced myself to let it go. I could probably spend another month, working on the model every day, and still find places to improve. This is a result of me starting the thing in 2013 and changing the concept so many times along the way. Well, I'm starting to type stuff again, so maybe I'll end here. If you have any questions or comments, feel free to leave them below.

http://i90.photobucket.com/albums/k260/krj_38/Storm%20Eagle%20and%20Fire%20Raptor/P1060103_zpszsfpsv5q.jpg

http://i90.photobucket.com/albums/k260/krj_38/Storm%20Eagle%20and%20Fire%20Raptor/P1060104_zps6lxuso9e.jpg

http://i90.photobucket.com/albums/k260/krj_38/Storm%20Eagle%20and%20Fire%20Raptor/P1060105_zpsc8xukdnt.jpg

http://i90.photobucket.com/albums/k260/krj_38/Storm%20Eagle%20and%20Fire%20Raptor/P1060106_zpso5rturij.jpg

http://i90.photobucket.com/albums/k260/krj_38/Storm%20Eagle%20and%20Fire%20Raptor/P1060107_zpsfbvpm1uw.jpg

http://i90.photobucket.com/albums/k260/krj_38/Storm%20Eagle%20and%20Fire%20Raptor/P1060108_zpso1moiqs8.jpg

http://i90.photobucket.com/albums/k260/krj_38/Storm%20Eagle%20and%20Fire%20Raptor/P1060109_zpsg1ktkrsh.jpg

http://i90.photobucket.com/albums/k260/krj_38/Storm%20Eagle%20and%20Fire%20Raptor/P1060110_zpsoenf3jrf.jpg

http://i90.photobucket.com/albums/k260/krj_38/Storm%20Eagle%20and%20Fire%20Raptor/P1060112_zpszcuo6prl.jpg

http://i90.photobucket.com/albums/k260/krj_38/Storm%20Eagle%20and%20Fire%20Raptor/P1060116%202_zpsp16euuxp.jpg

Despite of what you may think, yes - I have a job, I study and I have a 'life' besides assembling models from scratch (though, admittedly, finishing the Raven was a chore).

And here's a thing to remind me that the forges of Neurode never tire!

http://i90.photobucket.com/albums/k260/krj_38/Storm%20Eagle%20and%20Fire%20Raptor/P1060117_zps9sjpwaex.jpg

I wish my CH Storm Ravens looked half as good as your version. I would sell mine today to get a SR that looks like yours. I'm not sure I have enough words in me to say how much better your version looks.

I'm just flabbergasted. Brilliant.

And stop beating yourself up for taking the time to do it right, based on what you think is right. You have a talent that most of us are barely able to conceive of, let alone execute...and I've been a model maker for many decades.

So remember brother, because it is what defines us...

NO PITY. NO REMORSE. NO FEAR!

Regarding names...brainstorming...storm themes...Stormcloud, Stormsky, Thunderstrike (meh),  Stormspear (is that one used already?), Stormwind, others... Death Raven, Ghost Raven, Storm Ra-,oh, wait, um...Dropship Apollo...I need to think on this more.

For the Emperor, onwards! To painting, finally a nice change is on the horizon. I undercoated the two vehicles:

http://i90.photobucket.com/albums/k260/krj_38/Storm%20Eagle%20and%20Fire%20Raptor/P1060118_zpsak421nfm.jpg

I am rather happy with how the thing looks primed. The layer of paint managed to cover up a great deal of issues, most of the models look nice and crisp; and the rivers popped up nicely; however, there are some places on which the paint seems to have a negative impact, especially where I tried to fill some gaps with GS or with little, fiddly parts (like lascannon barels) where the glue melted the topmost layer of plastic, which is now pretty badly exposed by the paint and wasn't apparent earlier. But I can't complain - the models looks great and gained way more than they lost.

Once again, than you Honda for the kind words. I'm mentioning the time factor out a 'frustration', as I had hoped to get the model done every day, and something else popped up. Overall, I probably wouldn't mind spending another week or so to get everything right, but I just can't afford it due to 'real life' matters mixed with a whim to see the model painted, after all those years. I just need to order a nice stand for it.

Edited by Brother Cristopher

Ahhhh the unifying power of paint! All your building efforts are a shining example of dedication and seeing a project through, regardless of how many time you walk away and come back to it. A standing ovation and cheers to your accomplishments! 

Regarding names...brainstorming...storm themes...Stormcloud, Stormsky, Thunderstrike (meh),  Stormspear (is that one used already?), Stormwind, others... Death Raven, Ghost Raven, Storm Ra-,oh, wait, um...Dropship Apollo...I need to think on this more.

"Roc" has a nice ring to it, the ancient mythical bird of prey. 

I second the suggestion "Roc", maybe as a replacement for the Thunderhawk Transporter- picture a gunship carrying a Land Raider beneath its rear grapples (the mythical Roc is said to carry elephants to its nest, to feed its chicks), with scaled up grav-chutes to let the Land Raider Deep Strike onto a battlefield.

I vote for Thunderduck. It sounds amazing, and will lead your foes to underestimate it :P

You could argue that given it is clearly the offspring of the Thunderhawk, it should actually be named Thundereyas or Thundereyass (eyas/eyass being the breeders term for a baby hawk/falcon etc).

It's a phenomenal piece of work, and looks so good! It's honestly a far superior design to the 'raven, and the nostalgia effect is powerful :)

I decided to go online for the Easter weekend, that is why it took me so long to get back to you. I am overwhelmed by the wave of positive feedback, thanks a lot to all of you. It means a lot to me ;)

Whaaaaat?!

Something wrong? ;)

Ahhhh the unifying power of paint! All your building efforts are a shining example of dedication and seeing a project through, regardless of how many time you walk away and come back to it. A standing ovation and cheers to your accomplishments! 

"Roc" has a nice ring to it, the ancient mythical bird of prey. 

I like the "Roc" idea. While, for game purposes, it will remain a Stormraven, I think that when I finally get around to writing some fluff for my crusade, as well as individual builds (which have their own background), I will incorporate the "Roc" to the name, either as a combination with something, or the simple (*cough* unimaginative) Neurode pattern (for the forgeworld which manufactured it) Roc Gunship/Transporter.

I am also happy to report that I started painting the craft. I'm kicking off with the wings and engines.

After so many years of work mixed with stagnation with my hobby, I stored a couple of ideas and learned a couple of things. I guess I am a bit tired with painting black all the time, so it is my resolve now to introduce more colours, but at the same time maintain a more or less uniform look. Back then, when I got in the hobby and read through our Codex, I found the passage about strong individuality of the Black Templars very appealing, so I incorporated the idea into my paint scheme. The result was that there was no paint scheme, which is acceptable from a background perspective (each knight to his own; this also applies to vehicles with decades of history and 'personality'), it doesn't look that good on the tabletop.

That is why I'm looking for a nice colour addition to break the black. I feel compelled to go for a 'wacky' colour, like blue or green for some panels/wing flaps, but the conservative in me says 'no, stick to the more classical choices like tan/red/white'. With the list, I think that white is out of the question as far as vehicles are concerned - I painted one Razorback with white panels and doors and the contrast is too strong for my taste. Now, I'm considering grey additions for all my flyers (armour panels, flaps) and maybe red for weapon housing (to have a uniform scheme for a 'class' of vehicles) and tan additions for my tanks (especially Rhino/Razorback transports; Land Raiders due to their venerable status will probably get a different treatment, each being a relic of the armoury). I already basecoated the flaps on the 'main' wings grey and I suppose it looks fine, but I can always change it. Do you have any preferences regarding auxiliary colours for our vehicles?