The Neurode Crusade - Heresy Warning

In response to Aegir_Einarsson's request, here's a photo of the mostly assembled power armoured members of the Neurode Crusade. Several models are not included (mostly due to a shortage of bases; I need to buy some for my pewter Vanguard and OOP special weapons marines), such as members of the High Command: Marshals, Castellans, Honour Guard or Standard Bearers (I need to either assemble these, or strip paint from second-hand models I bought). However, all 'regular' troops are included. With 95% of my crucial bits* used (*legs and torsos), I needed to make sure that I have the planned number of Marines in the designated roles (like 15x bolter marines, 20x chainsword marines, 5 power fists, etc.). It turns out I got most of the stuff right, so bully for me, I

U7boaro.jpg

I would love to see all of these done. While it's still a long way to go, I have to reiterate that things start to look less overwhelming than they did a couple of months ago. At least I'm mostly done with the most tedious work (I mean, assembly is an extremely unrewarding part of the hobby)!.

Edited by Brother Cristopher

I require your advice. I decided to make an attempt to kitbash a standard bearer inspired by the old Kev Walker's artwork:

KW001K.jpg

I'm not sure however about the level of fidelity of my model, especially the position of the legs and reinforced greaves. To be honest, I'll probably be too lazy to bother and reposition the legs; we'll see about the green stuff reinforced amour.

What I want to ask you is the base. Do you think I should place the bearer on bodies of dead brethren, like in the image, or not. I am really torn here!

On the one hand, I think that this piece of artwork is one of the cooler ones depicting BTs and representative of 40K in general. That is why, I'd like to go with keeping as true to the original as possible.

On the other hand, there is the fluff and aesthetic aspects of the hobby and modelling. There is not need for a last stand (yet), the Crusade while facing the perils of the grimdark universe fares relatively well, insofar man-count goes; and there is no need to dishonour any fallen brethren by stepping on them to look epic. I also have to factor in my basing practices: I haven't included any dead bodies on bases yet and, frankly, I don't want any. So, in a way, this model will stand out from the rest in a way I don't really want it to do. But then again - the artwork is neat.

I'm also worried that actually placing remnants of Marines or a base may be challenging and the result might turn out clumsy, since the artwork simply does not show the remaining parts of the dead brethren. I'd have to come up with a clever solution to "integrate" the bodies with the base.

In other words: do you recommend an attempt to represent the artwork as a miniature, or simply include an inspired-by Marine with a power fist, old-school bolter and tattered banner?

How about having the Black Templars Ancient stand atop a Chaos Space Marine you painted but didn't assemble? Use green stuff to make spilled guts, showing the Ancient triumphed over the foul traitor after a pitched battle? (Naturally, the flagpole will be planted in either the Chaos Space Marine's throat or eye socket, showing it was used as an improvised weapon to deliver the fatal blow.) Edited by Bjorn Firewalker

Hawklynn's idea i think fits the theme of the artwork as well as your reasoning against the dead. Make it a wounded brother, the standard bearer standing over him defiantly to defend, denying the enemy the kill and granting the apothecary the time to get him back up (or the banner to inspire him to ignore those lil fleshwounds :P )

I was looking around ebay and found one of the "Space Marine Casualties" models that is sitting up and firing a BP. That would be a good model to use IMHO.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/40K-Space-Marine-Captain-Wounded-Casualty-Dead-Survivor-Objective-New-P29/391927920840?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649

s-l1600.jpg

Hawklynn hit the bull's-eye! The explanation you offered is just what I needed to make up my mind and put in the extra effort. Thank you all for the feedback, a lot!

I have what seems like a perfect bit for a dead Marine left over from my "restoration efforts."

Cognative, I know there are! I realised this too late. But I already used my only pair of those for a Devastator. I tried to reclaim them without doing much damage, but I put the model so that to be sure it won't be losing bits over its lifespan. Well, it certainly passed an official, real-life stress test, but this means I'll have to go around the issue. And I have to say - that's a good thing. If I didn't have a spare set of similar legs (from a tactical squad), I wouldn't have come up with the idea to kitbash this model - so despite the easy route with the Devastator legs, I'm happy with sticking to the initial assumptions.

I find the pair of legs I chose for the base of the model 'cool,' since its different than the squatting ones I'm used to. It seems that I will not be reposing them, but instead place one foot on an elevation (a rock probably) and the other on a pauldron of a fallen marine. With this stage done, I'll see whether there's enough room to fit a second dead torso or not - I'm using the old, smaller bases for all my PA infantry, so the space I have is quite limited. The 32 mm bases are reserved for my count-as Primaris, to make them easily distinguishable from their 'regular' counterparts.

By the way, Primaris "Ancients" (the new name for standard bearers remains bitter, bur a discussion of GW's "creative" naming policies is probably off-topic) uses a 40 mm base, right? If by any chance it's on a 32 mm base, some of my problems are solved: my standard bearer could stand in as a Primaris, ekhm, Ancient.

By the way, Primaris "Ancients" (the new name for standard bearers remains bitter, bur a discussion of GW's "creative" naming policies is probably off-topic) 

Off topic response: "ancient" is an old British corruption of the rank of Ensign; or you could look at it as a 40k re-terming as well.

Interesting stuff, I've looked it up (now I feel a bit silly and ignorant). It doesn't, however, change my mind regarding GW's decisions to change names of things.

On topic: My Standard Bearer is almost done - I'll post pictures tomorrow - I don't want to fiddle with the models because green stuff still cures and I don't want to ruin it. The model is "inspired by" - I decided to change some things, like remove the scabbard, leave one skull on top of the backpack or give him a bolter chained to his wrist from the upgrade sprue. I'm still not sure about the helmet - he'll either get a 'regular' helmet with some rivets on the 'forehead' or a 'knightly' helmet from the BT upgrade sprue (any suggestions before pictures?).

But that's not all. I also made a thing. Having one OOP bolt pistol, I wanted to give my Bearer a bolter that would be a homage to the old, RT era stuff. I haven't given it enough though, though, and ended up with something that didn't make sense: the ejection port ended up above the pistol grip - not good, isn't it?

In the end, I ended up with a bullpup bolter. It doesn't make much sense for a model, as no Marine is able to actually use it, but I want to believe that if the models were a bit more flexible, the bolter would work.

I'll give it to one of my commanders, probably my Marshal on bike, as an "accessory" - a weapon set aside, chained or strapped to his belt or bike.

363dutQ.jpg

Not him, but someone in my Crusade will for sure!

Here are the promised pictures of the Black Templars Standard Bearer:

wI1tYVS.jpg

qMfI0r9.jpg

yd9dfeD.jpg

FZ9f9df.jpg

And the alternate helmet:

Av1sZOF.jpg

I think, I like the first one better - what do think?

I also realised that I maybe should have taken a close-up of the base...

The model is "finished." I might add some trinkets to his backpack and need to find a way to attach the banner - a magnet maybe.

Second helmet is the way to go. It shows off his ZEAL!

Also, this has to be my favorite standard bearer that I have seen so far. I will admit that I have one at home that I am working on (it is an old OOP model too!) and that you have inspired me to take a bit more time to make him truly shine. I am watching the auction for a wounded space marine that I want him to be guarding.

I really look forward to seeing him painted up.

Thanks to all for the feedback on the helmet.

I'm also very happy to read that you like the kitbash and that my work inspired you, Hawklynn! Which OOP model you have? Is it the one with a bolter from the metal command squad (captain, sergeant with auspex, techmarine, apothecary and standard bearer)?

Aegir_Einarsson, regarding the banner I must say that I have no clue - I got the part somewhere during my scourging of internet auctions, probably. I think it comes from the Warriors of Chaos (or something along these lines) kit for WH: Fantasy, but am not sure. Would anyone like to weight in?

That is the one. I still have the whole set and am working to get them all included in my army. The only one that is actually fully painted up is the sergeant with auspex, but I am almost done with the others (except the apothecary). I now need to get a bigger base for the standard bearer and the wounded marine and I will be ready to go.

The hardest part will be the banner. I am going to attempt to use some spare linen that I have to try and do a cloth banner. Coloring it is gonna be a pain.

Edited by Hawklynn

Hawklynn, good luck on the banner. Choosing actual linen seems like a very bold decision. Personally, I'd recommend against it and would get a spare plastic banner, or do one out of green stuff. But well done cloth one would have this nice tangibility to it, going well with the pewter model.

There are still several miniatures on to-do list: 5 assault marnes, 1 dual sword champion/commander, 1 bolter marine and 1 more standard bearer. Following what I've started, I though that this is probably the best time to get all plastic standard bearers done. Here's a sneak-peak of my newest project/idea:

SmQARiU.jpg

I must admit, conceptually, it was to look way better than it does now. But with the damage done to the standard and time invested, there's no turning back now - I hope that the final result will satisfy my expectations. What do you think?

I'm planning to give him either a BT upgrade spure sheathed sword, or the sheathed combat knife from a scout squad, plus maybe a boltgun. I also considered equipping him with an angelos boltgun (I mean, the  wrist-mounted Blood Angels' one), but figured that it would make the model too busy and would conceal the helmet/face.

What do you think about the concept?

Edited by Brother Cristopher

Woho! That's awesome. Thanks for taking your time to do this side-by-side comparison.

I have one more update on the standard bearer with power fist. I had gotten a resin Emperor's Champion and instaed of rolling with the half-painted model I got, I decided to strip the paint. This didn't go well, unfortunately. With the weekend going on and some real-life issues, I kind of forgot about the miniature lying in the paint remover. In result, some of the finer parts of the model began to simultaneously get soft and brittle and fallen apart in my fingers. Well, that's that - it's a good thing I haven't properly paid for the model, which was included in a purchase together with a Rhino and Crusaders and Codex: BT for less than a Tactical Squad.

It's no use crying over spilt milk. I suppose that no real damage was really done. On the upside, I can now cut the model into pieces with no regrets. In the event of this fundamentally unlucky event, I will soon harvest an Emperor's Champion's helmet and transfer it to the Standard Bearer - it should work fine with the model, I hope!

I also have another question: What is your stance on characters with cloaks and tabards who are equipped with a jump pack? On the one hand, coaks and tabards are essenialy cool - a mark of a higher ranking officer/marine. On the other hand, they seem greatly impractical - the cloak catching fire or getting sooted up, the tabard blows into the wearer's face/helmet during descent into combat. I'm asking because I'd like to model a Marshal/Castellan with jump pack as wearing a cloak and tabard, using either the AoBR Captain or one of the Sword Brethren models and am not sure whether this is a good idea. I mean, the rule of cool offers some justification, but the stupidity of dressing like that into battle is close to eclipsing the said rule.

I also have another question: What is your stance on characters with cloaks and tabards who are equipped with a jump pack? On the one hand, coaks and tabards are essenialy cool - a mark of a higher ranking officer/marine. On the other hand, they seem greatly impractical - the cloak catching fire or getting sooted up, the tabard blows into the wearer's face/helmet during descent into combat. I'm asking because I'd like to model a Marshal/Castellan with jump pack as wearing a cloak and tabard, using either the AoBR Captain or one of the Sword Brethren models and am not sure whether this is a good idea. I mean, the rule of cool offers some justification, but the stupidity of dressing like that into battle is close to eclipsing the said rule.

Just say the jump infantrymen's tabards are made of an asbestos-like flame-resistant material and/or shape-memory fabric, used to protect the Marine from aerodynamic heating and/or streamline him so he can achieve greater flight speed.

Thank you Bjorn for the feedback! That's some ingenuous stuff, really. I just thought about fire-resistance (like the Adamantine Mantle that used to be a thing in the past), but using cloak fabric to help with (and not mess up) aerodynamics is pretty cool! Now I'll be feeling way more comfortable with building my JP Character who won't be out of line with the remaining high command models, all wearing cloaks (and most of them tabards).

I have though that I needed a break from assembling troops, so I finished three more Crusaders that I had started painting some time ago:

lreK933.jpg

YRTaJ8Y.jpg

9tKhJmU.jpg

eSIzgEe.jpg

yT6tr71.jpg

I think that I'll want to paint up my remaining two squad leaders next, who will join the combi-plasma/chainsword guy and make an independent squad of five. After that, back to assembling miniatures, I guess.