The Neurode Crusade - Heresy Warning

I had a game this thursday which was pretty much the same. I ran against guard and had a large Crusader Squad to accompany Helbrecht with some Primaris around. The firstborn just evaporated, where my Intercessors soaked up sooo much fire. Until my opponents two Leman Russ Executioner openend up... :D

I'm really curious to see whether the codex will bring new life to old marines. I really hope it will.

I had a game this thursday which was pretty much the same. I ran against guard and had a large Crusader Squad to accompany Helbrecht with some Primaris around. The firstborn just evaporated, where my Intercessors soaked up sooo much fire. Until my opponents two Leman Russ Executioner openend up... :biggrin.:

I'm really curious to see whether the codex will bring new life to old marines. I really hope it will.

Me too! I am willing to give GW the benefit of the doubt, they better not screw this up ;) And I'd like to make myself clear - I don't want for regular marines to be better than Primairs, I really, really want them to be roughly on par. It probably should be possible to balance things out and make all units competing for a similar battlefield role equally appealing so that there are no must-takes and must-haves in an army. That would be the perfect way things work, at least for me.

Currently, much of my frustration stems from two things:

1. the fragility of non-Primaris troops under 8th and 9th edition mechanics, especially the way armour and armour penetration works; GW appears to have addressed this issue by upping regular Marines' wounds to two; now I'm curious to see how this works in the greater scheme of things - it it possible that GW will also increase weapons' damage across the board, so the increase won't be that significant (then again, the change will also affect 'regular Primaris', non-Gravis, infantry);

2. as a rule, Primaris have a better basic statline, better weapons and better special abilities on top of that. It really saddens me that Aggressors and Eradicators can shoot twice (with the ability included in their price) or Eliminators are the go-to snipers (completely and utterly eclipsing Scouts), but they are so much 'cheaper' than any regular equivalents; sure, point-by-point regular Astartes will not be as expensive on a per-model base as Primaris, but bring so much more to the table thanks to being able to dish out more damage and being more resilient, that I always feel like handicapping myself when going for regular choices (compare Eradicators to melta Devastators, Eliminators to Sniper Scouts or Hellblasters to plasma Devastators). And here's where I really hope that GW will present us with good rules; maybe changing the rules on the datasheet to strategems might be a good idea (with adding stratagem support to some regular units)? I don't know ;) But then again, I only play the game from time to time.

I'm really looking forward to them gaining an extra wound each. It will make a huge difference.

The other advantage of swapping them around is that your las/missile Devs will have 48" range, so can stand back and stay out of trouble. Grav Devs have to be in the fray, which has led to the odd situation where mine have almost twice as many melee kills this edition as shooting. I always kill the sword brother last, because he has a power fist, and when his lads die, he goes full Templar!

This is a very valid point! With my 5th edition mindset, I'm so excited that I can split fire that I forget about other principles, such as range of weapons! And I never bothered to upgrade a Dev sergeant with a close combat weapon, I should give it a try. Can't wait for them being W2 to go properly medieval on some enemies!

• 3 weeks later...

Brothers, I'm still working on the Thunderhawk! Progress is apparently slower and slower, but step by step I'm moving towards the goal. I have had a bit of a problem with frustration and lack of motivation, but it seems that thanks to the community I got through it, I suppose. There isn't much to share, so I'd just like to direct your attention to my threat in the Works in Progress subsection.

I am consistently amazed at the level of detail you achieve in this, as well as your other plasticard projects. You've inspired me to work on something similar, as my son recently got a Baneblade for his IG that was missing the 2nd turret sprue. I know how slow going the progress can be, and how hard it is to find the time/motivation to drive on with the project. I feel your pain in this regard, but your skill in this matter is light years ahead of my paltry attempts ATM.

By the way, I think I've read in some of your posts that you were working from a template? If so, where did you acquire  said template(s)? I'd personally like to do more with card as well, but have no idea where to start. If I'm out of line in the asking, please let me know, but I'm genuinely curious.

Thanks for taking the time to check my stuff out! I also wish you the best of luck with your endeavours.

Regarding the templates, you should google Eli Patoroch 40K paper craft (or PM me) - he designs and makes available many 40k papercraft vehicles, most of which are of at least serviceable quality and fidelity to the originals.

There's nothing to be jealous of! While I mostly enjoy the experience, I wouldn't recommend it ;) I think that the pay-off is objectively not worth it. Still, I thoroughly enjoy this project, but it's taken me too much time to get into the right mindset. Also, since I learnt everything myself, I believe that with the right determination, anyone can produce great plasticars models.

Still, I'll take your words as a compliment, Marshal Wolfhart! I hope that I won't dissapoint and will actually finish the model by the end of the year.

Central engine nozzle finished! I borrowed ideas from the original TH kit, as well as the Xiphon Interceptor and sprinkled the entire thing with my own approach and incompetence (I somehow miscalculated stuff and ended up with the nozzle divided into 5 'sections', instead of 6....).

SZwfyo3.jpg

zCWb2xq.jpg

As you may also remember, I also constructed different engine nozzles for the wing-mounted engines, which adapt the modern approach to engine nozzles on SM flyers, i.e. like on Storm Ravens, Storm Eagles or Storm Talons.

y6FUK57.jpg

I must say, I'm not sure whether that was the right decision. It adds a somewhat modern twist to my TH variant and blends well with the updated engine housing. It also saved me a lot of time and effort, but well... As I said - I'm not sure I like what I did. This doesn't change much since I'm not redoing these parts anyway, but I just wanted to share my doubts with you!

The updated ones are simpler. But I like the difference between the two models.

Like the engines have had a retrofit or an upgrade, because the newer style looks more armoured.

Maybe the techmarines / fabricator generals decided after 50K that the original STC was perfect for flying peacfully between colonies, but unsuited for  warfare?

I'm glad you like that! And I really love the explanation for the difference. It fits perfectly with the fluff I had for my Crusade, being stranded because of Warp storms on an impoverished forge world - this used to be my explanation for all the custom things for my army: the techmarines together with the local magi and techpriests introduced changes to vehicles in order to make the best out of the sparse resources and hold the planet and sector (I must revive the storytelling aspect of my Crusade some time).

• 2 weeks later...

Brothers! I'm happy to report that the scratch-built Thunderhawk project is doing well! Progress has been made and I do hope to meet my deadline. I really, really want to get on track with other 40k-related stuff, i.e. to paint my infantry and vehicles and play some games, if the epidemic situation stabilises.

With regard to the Thunderhawk, I've been working on the Thunderhawk Cannon / Turbo Laser Destroyer and its housing, including additional detailing of the top rear fusealage (that is, the part of it 'under' the cannon). Here are the results of my scratch-building efforts over the last two weeks or so:

SQUlKXV.jpg

umPynaD.jpg

B0UH849.jpg

More photos can be found in my WIP thread in the Forge subsection.

I also couldn't help myself and bought an OOP Emperor's Champion model.

5jAdQbK.jpg

3DF8BaC.jpg

Obviously and regrettably, the model is missing its sword; however, 1. the price was rather good (and equivalent of four beers) and 2. the missing sword and hands should be fairly easy to replace. Sure, I'd prefer to have a complete model, but they're hard to come by in Poland. And at this stage, particularly since I don't follow online auctions and marketplaces as much as I used to, I am extremely happy to have this guy. It also happens to be a surprisingly cool model - it looks in person way better than I imagined and gathered from the pictures I saw online. Knowing how old the model is, I thought that he'd be tiny, but the EC appears to be way larger than other models from his days.

Now I just need to get my hands on Castelan Draco. I regret having missed an opportunity to buy one many years ago; however, back then, with my student's budget, the asking price was rather prohibitive.

Wow, the existing paint on the EC model is... rough to say the least. I can't wait to see what you do with it.

As for your TH, I can't begin to say how impressive it is! I'm sure I echo many others in this forum when I say that I can't wait to see it completed.

Hey, good to see you still chugging at this and a good progress that is indeed. Your build looks great and it's good to see how much you have progressed with the project :thumbsup:

Thanks mate!

Wow, the existing paint on the EC model is... rough to say the least. I can't wait to see what you do with it.

As for your TH, I can't begin to say how impressive it is! I'm sure I echo many others in this forum when I say that I can't wait to see it completed.

The paintjob is one of the best and most refined examples of the well-established art style called "OOP second-hand models". It gives me a somewhat surreal senstaion when I come to realised that this kind of models used to be in somebody's army. It also fascinates me what has been happening to these kind models over the years, between them beeing in a collection and ending up on an online auction and in a new chapter keep ;)

At least stripping metal models is very easy!

It sure is! Luckily, over the years I've learnt to ignore the paintjob on used model completely, provided that the base model is pewter. Removing paint is one of the few upsides to metal miniatures, actually. I still am not a fan of painting them because of how easy it is to damage your work later on, but I also find a 'soul' of sorts in pewter Marines. Ah, I have to stop typing since I feel that nostalgia begins to intensify!

Also at the moment, before I get even more clarity on Classic Marines' place in GW grand scheme of things (if there is such) and before I get through my painting backlog one the mighty Thunderwhak Gunship is done, getting the odd metal model, for collection purposes, is the only thing that's of interest to me in 40K

• 2 weeks later...

For those of you who don't follow my progress in the Works in Progress subforum, here's an update from what I managed to do over the last two weeks or so.

Basically, I managed to finish assembly of the tail and horizontal stabiliser, sides of the rear fuselage and wings:

3S7aS2B.jpg

8e9Oro0.jpg

sGyEcDq.jpg

dyTjsoJ.jpg

v9ewvAF.jpg

xfoSGtD.jpg

HPx8xCt.jpg

Q3fS4FU.jpg

• 1 month later...

Greetings in 2021! I want to let you know that I'm still hanging around, though not as much as I'd like. I failed to complete my Thunderhawk project and meet the deadlines I optimistically set (first, in October, then by the end of 2020). Because of my inability to finish the task, my hobby plans for 2021 have changed, too. I wanted to move on to painting my army; however, I'm now hesitant to set the Thudnerhawk project aside in fear that I won't find the motivation to finish it anytime soon. That's why I'll either focus on the TH or split my hobby time between the TH and painting.

With the number of units I have, I figured that could make a ~1500 points list to keep myself motivated - i.e. to have a goal to work towards. This seemed like a good idea, but I can't really get around to doing it. With my limited time and the pandemic still going on, I have no opportunities to play the game and get a sense of what works and what doesn't - to simply feel how the game works. And without feeling it, I can't decide on a list - I can't find the right synergies for a Templar, preferably melee-oriented force; on top of that, the pure amount of rules and choices available (which are purely theoretical to me) is greatly overwhelming.

Would any of you be so kind and provide simple advice in drawing up around 1500 points of Templars, preferably with a squad or two of Terminators? Point me towards some must-haves? I've seen people mentioning some litanies, but apparently I'm getting old and the names are somehow very confusing (again, I feel it's the lack of practice - I'd surely be easier to remember how the name of a litany corresponds to a rule if I were to use the said litany!). Are our Special Characters worth the points (Helbrecht seems very lacklustre)? I don't have any Primaris models, but I want to proxy Intercessors and Phobos Marines in my lists.

Edited by Brother Cristopher

Helbrecht is still very good. The EC and Grimaldus are not as good as other substitutes.

A Master of Sanctity Chaplain with "divine protection" (5+++) and Ancient Breviary (Relic) as Wise Orator + Helbrecht + 8 Terminators (all SS+TH) and 2x Incursors + 2x Crusadersquad (5 man with  2 Powerfists) and Rest Firesupport is what I think is good to play in 1500 point games for example

Helbrecht is still very good. The EC and Grimaldus are not as good as other substitutes.

A Master of Sanctity Chaplain with "divine protection" (5+++) and Ancient Breviary (Relic) as Wise Orator + Helbrecht + 8 Terminators (all SS+TH) and 2x Incursors + 2x Crusadersquad (5 man with  2 Powerfists) and Rest Firesupport is what I think is good to play in 1500 point games for example

This sounds succinctly great! What do I do with the Terminators, though? Do I deep strike them? I suppose, it'd be best to have the Chaplain nearby, but he needs to close to the Terminators at the start of the battle round to recite the litanies (right?).

Brothers, I want to report that I made some progress over the weekend. As usual, its pace is not what I expected or hoped for due to some speed bumps I hit along the way.

For my first project not connected with scratch building the mighty Thunderhawk, I picked my Crusade's collection of suits of Terminator armour. An inspection of the armoury revealed that the Neurode Crusade is ready to equip as many as 56 marines in TDA; however, as of the time of this report, only 55 shall be given to Members of the Marshal's household (55 is a nice roundish number; however, I'm still considering to put the last Terminator to use - the problem with the model is that its an old AoBR Termie whom I mutilated in a failed conversion attempt many years ago).

The Crusade Command has requisitioned the following wargear configurations:

1x suit of TDA for the Marshal

1x suit of TDA for the Castellan (metal Captain Lysander model)

1x suit of TDA for the bearer of the Sacred Standard

1x suit of TDA for an Apothecary

1x suit of TDA for a Chaplain

(+ one count-as Inquisitor / Witch)

In response to the Crusade's needs, line troops shall for squads shall be organised out of the following:

20x Sword Brethren with power fist / chainfist and storm bolter (including 3 cyclone missile launchers)

4x Sword Brethren with power sword and storm bolter

10x Sword Brethren with pair of lightning claws

10x Sword Brethren with thunder hammer and storm shield

3x Sword Brethren with assault cannon and power fist

3x Sword Brethren with heavy flamer and power fist.

Further, I did more than just organise my Terminators into reasonable units. I started processing my second-hand Termies and, oh boy, was it a trip. I really like working on used models and restoring them to their former glory or, at least, a usable state. However, one of the previous owners of a squad of 10 former Ultramarine Terminators used surprising amounts of super glue to put them together. And it really got to me - I spent over an hour removing glue from 5 guys; apart from this, everything else was a blast. As of now, I still need to strip paint of my Space Hulk Terminators; but, apart from these, all remaining models are prepared for further processing.

I need to rework some of my previous (failed) attempts at sculpting green stuff tabards and capes but do so in a way that doesn't ruin the model and paintjob too much - I hate stripping paint of my models, especially those who fought in many a battle. I will be redoing only two models; other two are okay-ish, I guess.

But the main area in which I made progress is my current-gen tabards and capes! Having failed in sculpting reasonably cool looking cloth (I can't get the creases right!), I moved to other techniques to make cool-looking conversions, by using GW's existing sculpts. I can't wait to share the results with you; hopefully, I'll manage to get the Teminators ready by the end of the week. I am using a three-step method using press moulds, green stuff and Milliput - I form the base of the tabard/cape with green stuff (for its flexibility), attach it to the miniature and reinforce/improve the layer of green stuff with Milliput (which should also remove imperfections of my mould and old green stuff, cover up my fingerprints on the inside of the cape/tabard add detail). However, due to the materials used each step takes roughly a day due to limited hobby time and long curing time of the putties. Hopefully tomorrow, I'll find time to work on the external layer of capes and maybe attach the tabards (so far I attached the GS capes and did the lining).