6th Edition - Thunderwolf Lord attack options opening up

Wispy

So, Telanicus pointed this out in the Frost weapon thread, and it caused me to make a cool discovery, based on 6th editions melee weapon and pistol rules.

Thundrwolf Lords and Thunderwolf Cavalry who are equipped with special melee weapons can now choose to attack with rending attacks OR power weapon attacks, provided they are equipped with a pistol or CCW.

How does this work?

Well on 51 of the rulebook, under the heading of More than One Weapon, it states ...

"If a model has more than one melee weapon, he must choose which one to attack with when he comes to strike blows"

This is unlike 5th edition, where you had to attack with the special weapon no matter what.

"But wait!" you ask, "How can I use my pistol as a melee weapon?"

Also on page 51, under the heading of 'Pistols as Close Combat Weapons' , it says this:

"A pistol can be used as a close combat weapons. If this is done, use the profile given above - the strength, AP, and special rules of the pistol's shooting profile are ignored."

The above profile is of course the profile for the basic CCW weapons.

Now here's the Space Wolves related payoff. In the Thundewolf mount rules, a Space Wolves character on a mount "has the rending special rule in close combat with any attack that does not use a special close combat weapon." This means a SW player can choose to attack with rending CCW and pistol attacks, even if he's equipped with a power weapon, powerfist, etc.

Rending in sixth edition is pretty awesome compared to other options. When you roll 6 to wound, your attacks become AP-2. Against vehicles, the 6 also adds a D3 of armor penetration and +1 to the vehicle damage results.

Because at initiative power weapons are AP-3 and AP-4, you can't handle terminators or vehicles with them any longer. With the rending as an option, if you're in a pickle and need to deal with terminators or vehicles without having an axe or powerfist on hand, you can resort to rending attacks. These attacks come at initiative, so you lower the chance of getting wailed on while you wait to attack.

"This is unlike 5th edition, where you had to attack with the special weapon no matter what. "

Powerfist/ powerweapon, you got to choose in 5th as well. :lol:

he meant like Powerfist / Chainsword ... or Frost axe / Bolt pistol

People have been saying if you have two pistols you may fire both(gunslinger) looking at wolf guard substitute a CC weapons for Plasma pistol 10 Pts

possible is it worth it?

I don't like sacrificing the special close combat weapon that a Wolf Guard can get, so the only time that I could see using this is with a MotW Wolf Guard. Give him a Bolt Pistol and Plasma Pistol, and he gets to fire both in the Shooting phase, then using his D6+1 Rending attacks in close combat.

Do any the IC have this option?

will have to have a look

Wolf Lord and Wolf Guard Battle Leader could do it, but it would be a waste for either of those to not have a special close combat weapon at all. Rune Priests and Wolf Priests don't have the option to get two pistols, or to get two different special close combat weapons (they are stuck with their Runic Weapon/Crozius Arcanum only).

Valerian

Archived