Welcome to The Bolter and Chainsword
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Grey Knights "Close Air Support" 2000pts Army

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
4 replies to this topic

Cmdr Shepard

Cmdr Shepard

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,007 posts
Greetings Battle Brothers!

The inclusion of "flyers" in the 6th Edition is a perfect chance to build an "Air Support" army for my Grey Knights.
In order to maximize the number of flyers in my army I decided to make use of the new allied detachment rules. Since I have only 4 flyers (plus a thuderbolt but it was/it is apocalypse only :tu: ) but only 2 of them are SM vehicles ( GK stormravesn) I decided to allied my GK with Necrons and fill the remaining flyers.

Necron models could even represent an Adeptus Mechanicus force or simply an allience of convenience against a common enemy.
Since my primary detachment belongs to GK I suppose the forums rules allow me to post this list.

Anyway here is the army.

HQ

Coteaz
Inquisitor (any ordo) with Psychic communication [in order to modify reserve roll and get the flyers on the table asap]

TROOPS

Grey Knights Strike Team
10 Models with 2 Psycannons, 1 daemon hammer

Grey Knights Strike Team
10 Models with 2 Psycannons, 1 daemon hammer

Inquisitorial henchmen
12 Acolytes with bolter

Inquisitorial henchmen
10 Acolytes with bolter

FAST SUPPORT

Stormraven
TL LasCannon and Typhoon ML

Stormraven
Plasma Cannon (it is the weapon on the model, I can try to change it if needed), Multimelta

HEAVY SUPPORT

Dreadknight
Heavy Incinerator

Dreadknight
Heavy Incinerator

Allied Detachment: Necron

HQ
Necron Overlord
War Scythe and Command Barge

TROOPS

5 Necron Warriors
Dedicate Trasnport: Night Scythe

HEAVY SUPPORT
Doom Scythe (I guess Necrons like the word scythe ;) )

For a total of 1970 pts (still 30 pts available)

I plan to move the Overload and the 2 DK towards enemy lines.
Acolytes and Necron Warriros hold objectives in my deployment zone, GK Strike Team size objective behind Overloard and DK while my 4 flyers zoom across the battlefield providing Close Air Support to my force.

What do you think? Can this army be competitive? What enemy armies/units can create problems? Any suggestion will be very apprecaited

Thanks for your assistance.

EDIT:
Added daemon hammers to Strike Squads. Added 2 bolter accolytes to spend the remaining points. Now the list is operative and ready to be tested on the table.

Edited by Cmdr Shepard, 08 July 2012 - 10:47 AM.

Zeratul29

Zeratul29

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 432 posts
I would have to say that the amount of flyers in this list will make it a hard to kill army, considering the flyer rules, I'm assuming you would use the flyers to go after heavy vehicles, anti infantry weapons or other flyers. I might consider putting a hammer in each strike squad with those left over points

Cmdr Shepard

Cmdr Shepard

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,007 posts

I would have to say that the amount of flyers in this list will make it a hard to kill army, considering the flyer rules, I'm assuming you would use the flyers to go after heavy vehicles, anti infantry weapons or other flyers. I might consider putting a hammer in each strike squad with those left over points

Hammer can be put on a not-justicar model so he does not have to worry about challanges :sweat:
Night Scythe would fill the interceptor role, the other Necron flyer can fill both interceptor and ground strike role.
Stormraven with Plasma Cannon will hunt infantry down while its multimelt can target vehicles thanks to power of the machine spirit. Sadly "get hot" rule affect vehicles too in 6th. However twin linked means I can re-roll :)

The other Stormrave will attack vehicles on the ground or in the air. Necron Lord on Barge will advance with Dreadknights.

So do you think this "hard to kill army" can be competitive against most enemies or will it have weakness against a specific amry?

*Furyou Miko

*Furyou Miko

++ PROPUGNATRIX REGNUM ++

• ++ MODERATI CEDO ++
  • 7,874 posts
Naturally, a Guard or Necron list tailored to kill it will have an easy time of it (plasma + hydras or gauss cannons + flying scythes), but apart from that most armies will definitely have a problem.
/人◕ ‿‿ ◕人\

There is no knowledge
that is not power.
Power corrupts.
Ignorance is Innocence.

Just call me Miko.
Sisters in 7th: W2 L0 D0

Tzeentch: Change you can believe in.

Cmdr Shepard

Cmdr Shepard

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,007 posts

Naturally, a Guard or Necron list tailored to kill it will have an easy time of it (plasma + hydras or gauss cannons + flying scythes), but apart from that most armies will definitely have a problem.

My idea was to make an army difficult to kill by most "standard" armies. I believe that every army can be countered if you know what your opponent plays and you tailor your list to kill it. That's the advantage to have a good number of armies. You switch list before enemy can apadpt :(

Anyway if you have suggestion to improve the list I'll be very glad to hear them (that's why I shared the list with the community :HQ: )
The Necron flying scythes list is the army I would (or will) play with Necrons, but that's another story :D
I wonder if the Inquisitor+Pyschic communication is worth his cost just to have my flyers arrive on turn 2 with a 2+ roll...

I believe my opponents will be a little pressed with tactical decisions: DK and Lord on Barge are a serious threat and when my flyers will enter the battlefield I think deciding the most prioritary targets may be difficult for severl players, since every unit can deal o lot of damage, in a way or another.