Brittle Plastic Glue?

For some reason, the arms of my SM are falling off with just a little pressure applied to them... apparently the plastic glue that bind the arms to the torso get brittle. Is it because I applied too much? Or that's just common with Plastic glue?

And besides pinning or using super glue, is there any other way to prevent arms and leg from falling off so easily?

Its not just you my friend, the compound that GW seem to have started using does not melt the plastic compound and form a bond.

Wow that's awful. I have a bottle of that but I haven't been able to use it because the nozzle doesn't work. Glad I haven't used it now I guess.

Wow, that's a horrible quality control issue. Plastic glue is not supposed to act like that at all. I'd send an email to or call GW, let them know of the problem. Their customer service is top notch, so they may offer you a refund since you probably don't want to risk another bottle.

For GW plastics, I use Testor's plastic cement. That stuff bonds rock solid. And it also comes in a special version for clear plastics (for windscreens and canopies)

I've also had trouble with citadel glues. Put broadly, they're hopeless. The thick plastic glue goes stiff and stringy, and the thin compound has a metal nozzle that gets blocked and stops working. I've found that any decent brand of poly cement is much better, and far cheaper. This is very disappointing, especially given that the quality of the new paint range has been so high. It's frustrating that GW are able to get one thing spot on while making an utter mess of something else so basic.

i bought some of the GW thin plastic glue recently and the nozzle is completely blocked - resorted to pening the glue up and using a pin to apply it tot eh surface i was gluing (late night project wasnt going to beat me just because the glue wasn't playing ball)

This happened to me too. Unfortunately, I only noticed it AFTER I assembled the 100 skeletons for my Vampire Counts Fantasy army. I was so *issed, I immediately went down to my LGS, and bought a whole box of the Army Painter plastic glue. Then sent an e-mail to GW saying their glue sucked. They sent me a new bottle for free, but I threw it out. I never want to use another GW glue ever again.

Such terrible news... i took it for granted until the arms of my terminators start falling off the moment my fingers touched it, that's when i knew something was wrong... Same here Warmaster I assembled 4 boxs of termintators already before the problem surfaced...

By the Emperor, i swear to my terminators, your brothers will not share the same fate! :'(

i bought some of the GW thin plastic glue recently and the nozzle is completely blocked - resorted to pening the glue up and using a pin to apply it tot eh surface i was gluing (late night project wasnt going to beat me just because the glue wasn't playing ball)

I use revel, which is exactly the same format as the thin glue you talk about...and it sometimes has that problem.

*** WARNING: THE TIP THAT FOLLOWS INVOLVES FIRE AND CHEMICALS. TRY IT AT YOUR OWN PERIL ***

What I usually do is use a lighter and just "burn" the tip.

The temperature forces de "ball" up and it lights up for like 1 second (moment in which you put away the lighter...doh!).

Works 100% of the times

Just save yourself the trouble and avoid any plastic cement that needs to be applied from a nozzle. Use thin-type ones that are applied via a brush. I swear by Tamiya and Mr. Hobby.

If you're going to do that you should probably remove the metal inner of the nozzle from its plastic casing first (easy on Revell glues, idk if you can do it on GW ones though)

Indeed, was going to say the same thing. The tip really works. I too use Revell and fire is a sure way of unglogging the metal needle, but never do that with the needle still attached to the bottle, or you'll risk quite bad skin burns not to mention worse consequenses. Small pliers are good for taking the needle from the bottle and holding it while you treat it with flame.

I was assuming that the caveat regarding the fire+glue, people would think of removing the needle BEFORE applying fire...

I think that's a fairly safe assumption but you never know! Wouldn't want to lose any hobbyists to the darwin awards. :)

Any plastic cement does that :) The kind in a tube or applied using a needle is thicker because they added additives to make it more controllable, but it welds the plastic in much the same way as liquid cement that you apply with a brush does. You can also use straight solvents in the same way as liquid cement — MEK is one of the more common type used by modellers, for example.

I buy G-nine plastic super glue it works amazingly its never clogged for me comes in a nicely sized bottle for about $6 when I first bought one it lasted me a month and a half which during that time I built a 1500 point army using the one bottle

If it's just the glue that's no ****ing use at all, we're getting off lightly!

Imagine the Death Star-level hatred that would be generated worldwide if the "Amazingly Awesome and All-Around Amazing" new paint range was of a similar quality level. Nottingham HQ for GW would be incinerated...

Archived