scout armies in 6th

greatcrusade08

i would personally outflank the ccw scouts, when youve demeched the enemy they can come on the weaker side.

this is why this is THE place to ask for advice on theese things :) ... that is an absolutly great idea!

in terms of transports, its rare to have them spammed at where i play, so having to crack them is usually not a big concern... however i should perhaps assemble the other dread as a rifleman, just for more cracking-oppertunity. it would leave me at potentially 4- tanks i can be pretty much sure to kill at first turn in 1000-1500pts games, and still have plenty of thigns to spray down whatever is hiding inside, and allover the board

also, i JUST ordered 30 more scouts xD

Expanding a bit on using Sicarius this is the army list i've been playing the last few weeks for my Scythes of the Emperor scout themed army, it's not this easiest army to play but anyone with any experience of full or part scout based armies will already know that :)

HQ ^_^

Cato Sicarius - 200 pts

Good in a challenge as mentioned, gives a greater chance for first turn which is pretty important (but not a disaster for this type of army), allows the Tac squad to infiltrate and rides with his command squad in the drop pod.

Command Squad - 210 pts

Apothecary, Champion, 3 x Plasmaguns, Drop pod

Playing to it's strengths with mass plasma fire, can either drop in as part of the first turn assault or come in later depending on how armour heavy your enemy's list is, can also handle itself in CC with Cato in necessary.

ELITE :P

Dreadnought - 150 pts

Multi-melta, Heavy Flamer, Drop pod

Always comes in first in your drop pod assault, good all rounder to support your infiltrating units or crack open armour, be clever with deployment and try shield him with his pod as he's going to attract a fair bit of attention but careful to to block your targets.

Ironclad Dreadnought - 190 pts

Dread CCW, Seismic Hammer, Meltagun, Heavy Flamer, HK missile, Drop pod

Can either come in with your other dread if facing alot of armour etc or leave him for later, he's always performed well either way for me, i've even used him to support my own side of the table and deny objectives.

TROOPS :)

Tactical Squad - 190 pts

Sgt:Bolt Pistol, Power Sword & Melta bomb, 9x Marines: Flamer, Multi-melta

Cato giving them infiltration is great, flamer for overwatch and multi-melta range shouldn't be a problem with infiltrate.

Scout Squad - 180 pts

Sgt: Combi-Plasma, Power Maul & Melta bomb, 9x Scouts: Bolters, Missile Launcher

Use these for an Objective either mid table or in your own deployment zone.

Scout Squad - 185 pts

Sgt: Plasma Pistol, Power Sword & Melta bomb, 9x Scouts: Bolt pistol & CCW, Heavy Bolter

Use these either as a blocker for your tac squad or offensively to mop up a unit holding an objective once your softened it up a little with the rest of your army, Heavy bolter is optional but i always tend to find them sitting on an objective somewhere with nothing to do for a turn or two, comes in handy then.

Scout Squad - 135 pts

Sgt Telion, 4x scouts: Sniper Rifles, Missile Launcher

Assassin squad, i like to keep the squad at 5 man as it appears less of a threat then, until he starts picking important parts out of peoples squads, also handy for pinning a squad down to let one of your other units get in range.

FAST ATTACK ^_^

Storm Talon - 155 pts

Typhoon Missile Launcher

Storm Talon - 155 pts

Typhoon Missile Launcher

These bad boys give the whole list something it lacks, mobility! these will tackle anything trying to use speed to upset your plans, jury is still out for me on wither to use Typhoon or skyhammer missles but for the moment the typhoons as winning due to versatility.

TOTAL = 1750 Points

This list is alot of fun to play, being able to see most (if not all) of your opponents army on the table before you deploy anything yourself, Supporting your infiltration units with a drop pod assault can bring alot of hurt down on your enemy's half of the table forcing him to react and put them on the back foot early can and will cause some panic :)

hmm... ive been thinking, would it be better generally to run 10-man scout squats, with appropriate gear for their roles, or go with combat squatting everything to allow for better distribution of wargear...

say, intead of: 10 scouts with CCW, meltabomb, and power-whatever on sarg, coupled with a 10-man squad with snipers and a HB.

you would have: 2x 10 scouts with meltabomb, HB, power-whatever, 4CCW and 4 snipers, combat squadding them into 4 smaller dedicated units with more gear

(also cloaks if points to spare)

i dont really see any disadvantages to this, unless you have Telion which' cover-bonus would be worth more in a larger squad, and the problem with pretty much giving your enemy first blood on a silver platter

the advantages are however rather clear, as you technically gain access to way more wargear (atleast in the right places) having 2 CC-sargs to threaten tanks rather than 1, and 2 missle launchers/HBs instead of one, aswell as creating a target rich enviroment, and the abbility to apply damage way more finely tuned...

thoughts?

I'm curious as to how you Scout-heavy players deploy your armies with rgards to Scout and Infiltrate.

I've not seen many infiltration armies in 6th (Genestealers are now extinct amonst the Nid players). The one exception was a game against Guard where my opponent had three units capable of Infiltrating: Ratlings, Stormtroopers, and a Harker Veteran squad. The remainder of the Guard force was gunline and artillery.

I had only a unit of Telion-led Snipers for Infiltrators.

We played a game using the corner deployment method (Vector Assault?). In response to the deployment method and the enemy force, I filled my deployment zone with units. This pushed all of his infiltation options back quite a ways. He put down the Veterans in his far corner, outside the deployment zone. I plopped my Scouts down just outside of my zone with a commanding view of his Aegis line. As a result, his remaining two Infiltrating units had nowhere viable to deploy. The Ratlings were forced to deploy inside their deployment zone in a suboptimal area, and the Stormtroopers hid in my nondeploying corner behind a hill.

Do your Scout-based armies make much use of infiltration? The 18" buffer zone for Infiltrators really eats up a lot of real estate. Since LOS is based on ANY unit in the enemy army, even LOS-blocking terrain is hard to hide behind effectively for that 12" buffer, depending on deployment method. The Pitched Battle (Dawn of War in 6th) deployment seems like it's even more difficult to apply infiltrating units.

generally have to judge each game on its own merits.. deploying when you dont think infiltrate will do much good.

its sometimes nice to keep the enemy guessing where you will deploy and in spearhead type games you can deploy outside the normal DZ.

generally speaking until they make LSS dedicated you dont want to risk setting up too close to your opponent anyway, not since alpha striking was made illegal

Any merit to declaring all of your Scout units as Infiltrating, and deploying them in your DZ anyways? It's a stalling tactic if you go first, allowing you to wait til the opponent who is going second deploys his army fully (minus Infiltrators of their own) before committing.

Any merit to declaring all of your Scout units as Infiltrating, and deploying them in your DZ anyways? It's a stalling tactic if you go first, allowing you to wait til the opponent who is going second deploys his army fully (minus Infiltrators of their own) before committing.

yes ive done this more than a few times.. once had a game vs an ork horde, all that was deployed was my t-fires and LSS (which could scout move 24" during 5th).. deployed these units centrally.. he spread out his army along his whole table edge.

i then infiltrated everything on one side of the table.. dealt with one half of his army then the other later on.

worked wonders.. same principle still applies

• 2 months later...

Lately I've been using Lias Issodon (IA9) and found him to be very beneficial and fluffy to an all scout theme force. Predominately I have made use of scouts with sniper rifles in my army lists backed by squads with bolters and fared with promising results. An interesting fact arose during some engagements had my opponents scratching their heads upon out flanking combat squads of scouts as harrasment units for line breaker. It felt nice to have a 5 + cover save out in the open with camo cloaks and the stealth usr instead of combat tactics.

I'll look into Storm Talon uses in my future lists.

Archived