dreads in 6th

Skoby

Ooh my topics back :P

I've only had a couple of games in 6th but I've found ironclads to be great, my opponents were terrified of it and it took a lot of fire that wouldve done a lot more to my other dreads, especially as both times I used the "move through cover" rule and got lucky with cover saves. I personally like to have DCCW since an Iron Hand dread without a "hand" seems wrong, but I can see why riflemen are so popular and might have a sneaky conversion planned that could justify it. In both my games I had 4 dreads and at least one survived the whole game each time, and twice their DCCW managed to swing a combat providing a bit more punch teaming up with a tactical squad, I need to get more games in to fully make my mind up about them in 6th tho.

2) CC dreads are still good at tarpitting units. If you've tarpitted a unit that you want to keep in close combat, remember that "We can't hurt it" only applies if they're forced to take a morale check. If your opponent can't hurt you and your dread has whiffed its 2 attacks then too bad, they're still locked in CC!
Given my Dreadnoughts' abilities in combat against non-vehicles this is very useful indeed :D

Ironclads are solid choices, AV13 has always been great and with the new rules of CC with Walkers it is even better. That said can anyone vouch for Venerables in 6th?

I looked at how they could be used but can't justify their cost. You pay a lot for slightly better stats and a chance to reduce damage from a penetrating hit. I can't see any use that a contemptor wouldn't be a better choice.

I need to check my rulebook when I get home but now heavy support can be scoring in some missions how does that affect dreads... I've been thinking about making sure I have the right dreads to be scoring in heavy. I was thinking of prioritising as: iron clad, contempters rifleman, then by range of weapon, sitting them on an objective or using iron clad/contempters aggressively (with support) to capture objectives is something your opponent might not expect.

One more question about the Ironclad:

Do you use grenades on them?

They look great on the model but I don’t think they are worth making a unit that probably won’t live for long even more expensive. Or are they?

They are definitely worth it. Here's the three things they do, and the reasons why they're good:

1. As assault grenades, the ICAL allows you to strike before chain fists, characters with big-hitting weapons (like Lysander's S10 hammer), and simultaneous with other Dreadnoughts when charging into terrain.

2. As defensive grenades, the ICAL deny the charge bonus to things like daemon princes, 'Nidzillas, and other stuff as listed above. Combined with the MC's rules for getting S10 attacks off of Smash attacks, denying that bonus is the different between one Smash attack and two Smash attacks.

3. As defensive grenades, the ICAL provide Stealth against ranged attacks that originate within 8" (they sure do, check the BGB!) which means that you get a 6+ cover save if in the open, and a 4+ if you've popped smoke, against things like half-range melta.

I thought as much, I just hoped there might be some glimmer of hope... I'll use Vens as normal Dreadnoughts for now :blush:

Regarding Ironclad grenades I prefer to try and keep their costs down and the launchers can be a bit situational but they sit in my "buy if I can afford it" category now.

Archived