Golden Demon Japan 2012, 2013 (photos: p.3)

Kierdale

Lastly, a photo of the certificate the Slayer Sword winner got...explaining why he couldn't actually have the sword on the day...

gallery_63428_7609_1046614.jpg

I also have some photos of the Fantasy Battle Throne of Skulls exhibition game (the Best Painted Army owner actually beat the Throne of Skulls Champion!) but they're not so good.

I think that's all until I find some links online or official photos...

Awesome pictures, thanks for sharing! :woot:

It's a pity about the winner not being able to get the sword. I don't suppose for future events, that GW Japan sources a Japanese maker of the sword to get around the legal issues of importing it?

Or is there a total ban on the ownership with in the country, full stop?

Edited by Aquilanus

Thanks, Aquilanus.

There's no problem owning replica swords bought (and presumably made) in Japan (just ask a lot of foreigners living here! I know in my early samurai-obsessed years here I owned one katana, two wakizashi, a jitte and several bokken!). Real (read: with a cutting edge) swords need a proper license (even if it's great-great-grandad-who-was-a-real-samurai's) I'm told.

So, as I understand it, yes, if they get a Japanese maker to do the honours then there shouldn't be a problem. That or I wonder if they might change it to something different, a helmet perhaps. I'd ask my local shop staff but they didn't even know if the sword got imported or not until the actual day itself.

The official GW report is up!

Main page:

Here.

Translation of the links on that page:

Winners gallery

Armies on parade winner

Throne of skulls exhibition match

Scrap Demon

Army painting challenge

Gallery of the winning models:

Here.

And it looks like 2013's will be at the same location, with the same rules and categories, but in September.

• 2 months later...
  • 6 months later...

This year's Golden Demon Nippon will be on Monday the 23rd of September (a national holiday) and will be held not at last year's event hall but at the GWHQ Hobby Bunker (which is if I remember correctly above the Jimboucho GW shop).

The categories have been reduced to:

1. Warhammer 40,000 Single Miniature

2. Warhammer 40,000 Large Miniature

3. Warhammer 40,000 Vehicle Miniature

4. Warhammer Single Miniature

5. Warhammer Large Miniature

6. Hobbit & Lord of the Rings Single Miniature

7. Battle Scene and Diorama

8. Youngbloods

Gone are the WHFB and 40k Squad, Duel and Open categories. Admittedly they didn't get a lot of entries last year (though LotR and Youngbloods got zero!). I don't know if the Hobby Bunker is smaller than last year's event hall.

With Kierdale Junior keeping me busy I doubt I'll be going this year (definitely don't have anything worth putting into the competition even if I did go). I will do what I can to grab photos from anyone I do know who attends though.

Will any B&C'ers be going?

• 1 month later...

It turns out the I will be able to go -but probably won't be entering the painting contest- I'll just be there with my camera :)

Hopefully I'll get some better photos this year. And there should be more entries so I'll be busy afterwards posting them here.

• 3 weeks later...

That's not terrible overall, 1000 Yen I can deal with. 

However I am having a hard time finding the actual location of the shop that is hosting the event. Can you help me out? I am looking forward to going, and bringing along a few entries...but I have to know where I'm going before hand. 

Thanks in advance.

Not so great for the guy I know bringing seven entries!

Anyway, it's being held at the GW Jimbocho store:

神田 神保町1-1 

ゲームズワークショップビル1F

千代田区

東京都

101-0051

JP

If your browser can't read Japanese, here it is in Romaji:

Kanda Jimbocho 1-1

Games Workshop Building 1F

Chiyoda-ku

Tokyo-to

101-0051

If you need a map, just say and I'll upload one.

The Hobby Bunker where the GD will be held is actually the 2nd floor.

Store page on the GW site:

http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/storelocator/search.jsp#page=details&id=12400077a&radius=50&address=Tokyo%2C%20Japan&latlng=35.689488,139.691706&showGWS=true&showIndependantRetailers=true

Looking forward to seeing your work!

Edited by Kierdale

• 3 weeks later...

Ah!  Just got alerted to the competition by Kierdale (thanks!)  I'll have to comb through the small slice of my collection that followed me to Japan (2 out of 7 armies) and see what's worthy of entry...

Okay, I took stock...I can field four credible entries...um...is there an official web page?  I know nothing about what time to be there and stuff!  And are they doing Armies on Parade?

Edited by march10k

Aw, glad to see Japan getting some love! I'm hoping GW gets some decent Japanese translations in, but until they do it will be at best a niche hobby:( BUt there's definitely a market there, what with the proliferation of model collectibles available. Anyways - がんばれ日本!

What's wrong with English rules books translitterated into katakana?  LOL...I was pretty disappointed by that myself. 

Doors open at 10:00 and entries are accepted between 10:00 and 12:00 midday.

15:30-17:30 judging. Last year the event was at a different location and they had everyone leave the room at this time. Good chance for getting grub. This year the comp is in the Hobby Bunker (GW Jimboucho 2F) so perhaps they'll shove us all down to the 1F shop while they judge.

17:30 awards ceremony.

18:00 close.

Hope they'll be running the Scrap Demon challenge again this year.

On the 31st of August they held the Armies on Parade parade day and awarded gold, silver and bronze medals. On the 23rd of September the finals will be held at GW Nakano (lack of space at Jimboucho?). It seems some GW staff will be leading anyone who wants to go, from the GD at Jimboucho to GW Nakano.

AoP will be judged 16:00-16:30 at Nakano then the staff will be returning to Jimboucho for the rest of the GD.

I'd love to see the AoP medal winners (on the Nakano FB page they showed a fantastic Bretonian castle entry) so I might 'join the crusade' as they're calling the trip. Seems like they're organising a bus, even.

Day's schedule here:

http://www.games-workshop.com/MEDIA_CustomProductCatalog/m3430603a_2013_GD_AOPファイナル_イベントスケジュール.pdf

Looking forward to seeing your work, march10k.

So I've missed out on AoP?  That's disappointing, I would have entered my "parking lot army" consisting of 75 guardsmen, 9 chimeras,  four tanks (replicating a circa 2000 US Army mech infantry company-they typically would swop one of three platoons with a sister tank company) and two griffons (a battalion level asset in the concept being copied, but usually tasked in pairs to support subordinate companies directly).  Eleven chimera hulls and four russ hulls (a squadron of two russes, and two separate demolishers) looks ridiculously intimidating on a display board...and it's effective!  I've had games where not a single IG boot ever hit dirt.

Scrap demon could be fun.

As for seeing my work, none of it was done with an eye towards being entered in painting competitions (had I known that I would be doing this, I would have brought my dragon with me to Japan...Elspeth Von Draken, Magistrix of the Amethyst College...the Graveyard Rose! I probably put 120 hours into that model, and it would have been the perfect entry in the WFB large model category), so I expect my 3-4 entries to bulk up the participation numbers without winning anything.  It is a little disappointing that they got rid of the squad and regiment categories, that would have made for strong motivation to finish my DW command squad (just needs the banner painted and mounted), and I always like showing off my Altdorf regiment of greatswords.  Anyway, I guess I'll see you there?  1k yen per entry, right?

Yup, 1k per entry, one ticket per entry.

You can buy them in advance but you have to fill out the entry form there and then (choosing category, etc) ..or just buy on the day at the door.

I started my entry only two weeks ago so I'm not expecting anything either. A good exercise in working hard to a deadline though.

GKTerminator, got your models ready? :smile.:

I've decided to put something in after all. 'Oh well, why not?' I thought. Now I've got less than a bloody week to finish it!

I didn't get everything done thanks to Work and such, but I managed three Entries...hopefully I can win =P this is my first golden demon, despite painting for nearly 12 years.

I wish I could have finished my Fantasy Monster....

Ended up getting the following done:

Warhammer Single

Warhammer Vehicle

Fantasy Single

Should be good to go! now to just find my way from Shinjuku to the Hobby store on Monday >.>