SM Bikers in 6th

Cmdr Shepard

Blood Angels Librarian - Ally him in, take divination, take primaris power, re-roll all 'to hits' with 4 plasma guns. Win. Assault Marines blend well as allied troops for bikers as it is so taking them isn't a massive pain.

Alternatively, take a Space Wolves Librarian for exactly the same purpose but with the added psyker-denial of a Runic Weapon...

Blood Angels Librarian - Ally him in, take divination, take primaris power, re-roll all 'to hits' with 4 plasma guns. Win. Assault Marines blend well as allied troops for bikers as it is so taking them isn't a massive pain.

Alternatively, take a Space Wolves Librarian for exactly the same purpose but with the added psyker-denial of a Runic Weapon...

That's a good shout. Space Wolves are great allies for bikers as long as you don't mind some Grey Hunters.

I think Swiftclaw bikers lead by a Wolf Lord on a bike with runic armour makes for a great combat bike unit. Doable with the Rune Priest as well thanks to the 2-4-1 HQ slots that SW enjoy.

For under 300 points you can get 10 Swiftclaws, a hidden power axe and an attack bike. With their base 2 attacks (ccw+bolt pistol) and +2 attacks on the charge they hit like a freight train. 45 attacks + 11 impact hits. Very nice! Throw in a biker wolf lord and away you go!

Ahh, great news!

Are you staying pure?

Or will the availability of allies suck you in?

I will not be covering Allies to any great extent. It will largely cover bikes and their roles in 6th. I'll have a complimentary unit section that I'll use to talk about non-bike units. I'm going to expand it from "pure bike" to just "Space Marine bikes."

Am I to take that as meaning Space Marine Bikes of all creed and colour? (Ravenwing, SW/BA Bikes, Vanilla Bikes..?)

Sort of. The main body of the work concerns Codex Marines, as that is what I play. However, there will be a section for each other PA army that can field bikes, and a discussion of how they differ from Codex marines' applications.

Let's talk about allies real quick..

If you're playing White Scars I think the way to play "true" scars is with Wolves.

Let's compare:

Grey Hunters are equivalent to white scar tacticals in fluff. The idea of no heavy weapons, drop pod insertion and the savage nature thy is a trade mark of both chapters makes them an obvious choice.

Rune priests and storm seers are virtually identical. The shamanistic nature fits fluff lies perfectly.

What do they bring to the table? A squad of 10 GH with twin Melta, banner and drop pod costs a mere 200pts. I'll take 2 squads and a rune priest on bike for a total of 535pts.

Gives me 20 scoring bodies that can cause havoc when they arrive helping against gun lines. The rune priest provides arguably the second beat psychic defense. Living lightening and Jaws are great combos in a bike squad.

Thoughts?

Let's talk about allies real quick..

If you're playing White Scars I think the way to play "true" scars is with Wolves.

Let's compare:

Grey Hunters are equivalent to white scar tacticals in fluff. The idea of no heavy weapons, drop pod insertion and the savage nature thy is a trade mark of both chapters makes them an obvious choice.

Rune priests and storm seers are virtually identical. The shamanistic nature fits fluff lies perfectly.

What do they bring to the table? A squad of 10 GH with twin Melta, banner and drop pod costs a mere 200pts. I'll take 2 squads and a rune priest on bike for a total of 535pts.

Gives me 20 scoring bodies that can cause havoc when they arrive helping against gun lines. The rune priest provides arguably the second beat psychic defense. Living lightening and Jaws are great combos in a bike squad.

Thoughts?

I guess it all depends on whether you want to play a "Bike Heavy" list or a "Pure Bike" list. Wolves sadly cannot do a pure list, but they'd rock a pretty mean bike heavy list.

Especially if you're prepared to drop, say, 1,000 points into getting 3x 10 Swiftclaw Biker packs all with an attached Attack Bike, all with an attached Wolf Guard Biker, and a couple of Biker HQs thrown in for good measure. Terrifying stuff.

Just to give you an idea here's my list:

Captain, Bike, Artificer, Fist - 175

Stern Guard (10) - 325

-Drop Pod, 8x Combi Meltas,

Bike Squad (8+1), 2x Melta, Multi Melta Attack Bike - 285pts

Bike Squad (4+1), 2x Plasma, Multi Melta Attack Bike - 195pts

Thunder Fire Cannon

Thunder Fire Cannon

Thunder Fire Cannon

Allies:

Rune Priest, Bike - 135

Grey Hunter Squad (10) -200

-2x Melta, Banner, Pod

-2x Melta, Banner Pod

2,000/2,000

Just to give you an idea here's my list:

Captain, Bike, Artificer, Fist - 175

Stern Guard (10) - 325

-Drop Pod, 8x Combi Meltas,

Bike Squad (8+1), 2x Melta, Multi Melta Attack Bike - 285pts

Thunder Fire Cannon

Thunder Fire Cannon

Thunder Fire Cannon

Allies:

Rune Priest, Bike - 135

-2x Melta, Banner, Pod

-2x Melta, Banner Pod

2,000/2,000

Good lord that's a lot of Thunderfire Cannons... I really like the look of this list, I'd love to see this one in action! Seems like you already have a potent and fluffy White Scars list as is! :yes:

How are thunder fires not "fluffy"? <_<

According to fluff we cant use any vehicles with sponsons, should only be using fast vehicles that are modified by the chapter.

Preds and Whirlwinds won't work. There's no point to a land raider (still has sponsons) and while the vindicator is fitting, it does something covered by the plethora amounts of melta and plasma.

Thunder Fire cannons are stellar artillery pieces. I know they're slow but i dont see why white scars wouldn't take advantage of them... they were just inserted on the battle field via bike/drop pod before the battle began ;)

How are thunder fires not "fluffy"? <_<

According to fluff we cant use any vehicles with sponsons, should only be using fast vehicles that are modified by the chapter.

Preds and Whirlwinds won't work. There's no point to a land raider (still has sponsons) and while the vindicator is fitting, it does something covered by the plethora amounts of melta and plasma.

Thunder Fire cannons are stellar artillery pieces. I know they're slow but i dont see why white scars wouldn't take advantage of them... they were just inserted on the battle field via bike/drop pod before the battle began ;)

Artillery and White Scras simply don't go together. They don't even use Devastator Squads, so limited-mobility set artillery is right out. The warfare model for the Scars is lightning strieks and hit-and-run tactics. TFCs fit neither.

Like I said, great list, just not a White Scars list.

How are thunder fires not "fluffy"? :unsure:

Thunder Fire cannons are stellar artillery pieces. I know they're slow but i dont see why white scars wouldn't take advantage of them... they were just inserted on the battle field via bike/drop pod before the battle began :D

Artillery and White Scras simply don't go together. They don't even use Devastator Squads, so limited-mobility set artillery is right out. The warfare model for the Scars is lightning strieks and hit-and-run tactics. TFCs fit neither.

Like I said, great list, just not a White Scars list.

Hmm. I thought inserting them via drop-pod would have been on the mark. Oh well. I still love the list! ^_^

I've got mine modeled to have a bike parked behind the Cannon to symbolize my tech marine riding around on it.

I tend to be a fluff based player, ie no devastators or dreadnoughts even though GW keeps retconning them into White Scar fluff (devastators make an appearance in The Hunt for Voldorious for expample) and i've never felt the thunder fires to be unfluffy.

White Scars utilize drop pods and use thunder hawks extensively. It creates a pretty awesome picture in my head thinking about a bike spear head meeting up with the drop pods slamming home while the thunder hawks land with heavy artillery rolling out of the hatches to lend support.

After completion they're required and moved to the next location of heavy fighting...

I've got mine modeled to have a bike parked behind the Cannon to symbolize my tech marine riding around on it.

Sounds cool! I was trying to find a pic of a conversion I'd seen ages ago, with a Techmarine riding an attack bike with a Thunderfire cannon in the sidecar. That was pretty awesome, provided you had a Techmarine model on hand so he could abandon his bike if the TFC kicks the bucket..

Archived