Welcome to The Bolter and Chainsword
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Road to Nationals v.2

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
103 replies to this topic

Morticon

Morticon

++ FILIUS VINDICOR ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 13,750 posts
So, things have been thrown up in the air with 6th edition abound.

I have to try out LOADS of new things.

Here are my preliminary thoughts:

Libby - (Divination)
Captain - Pwr Lance, MB (SM DEX)

Libby Dread - Shield/Fear
Corbulo

7 DC - 2PF
Rhino
10 RAS - 2MG, PF
5 RAS - Pwr Axe, MG
Razor - LC, TLPG
5 RAS - MG
Razor - LC, TLPG
5 Bikes, 2PG, PF, + Attack Bike - MM (SM DEX)

3 Attk Bks - 2MM
Gamist, cheesy, beardy or broken; If Games Workshop put it in the book I'll gladly play against it, or with it. - Mort
"Use soft words and hard arguments." (Henry George Bohn [1796-1884].)

There is no harm in, on occasion, having disagreements. It's another thing entirely, however, to be a tool in conveying that disagreement.

"OP: The term used by players to describe a combination of yours they are personally unable to beat"

Collection of Battle Reports
Corbulo Tactica

dadieau

dadieau

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 181 posts
I would most definitely squeeze out 15 pts to give your visiting Capt. Artificer Armor. That will allow him to make an awful lot of saves for that unit.
~~The greatness of a commander consists in no way of his being able to foresee all the possible events, but in being capable of dealing with the many unforeseeable chance happenings with quick decisiveness. ~~ Bauer
Strategy without tactics is the slowest route to victory. Tactics without strategy is the noise before defeat. -- Sun Tzŭ

CitadelArmyGuy

CitadelArmyGuy

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,143 posts
This list is subtly clever, it doesn't scream raw power like a hammer but all the little parts of it are useful, like a swiss army knife.

The one choice I don't understand is the Libby Dread-- does it attract fire in order to prolong the life of the razors and rhino? How else does it figure in?

Edited by CitadelArmyGuy, 09 July 2012 - 12:20 AM.

Active Duty United States Army, Alumni of The Citadel Military College. 6th Edition: 54 Win - 6 Tie - 5 Loss // 7th Edition: 10 Win - 0 Tie - 0 Loss

Nine Principles of Warfare: Objective, Offensive, Mass, Economy of Force, Maneuver, Unity of Command, Security, Surprise, Simplicity. In tabletop wargaming, 8 of 9 apply.

Military terminology: A tarpit is a Fix. A bubblewrap is a Screen. Deathstars are Shock Units. Baiting units is an Ambush. Buffing is Force Multiplication. A pre-emptive decision is a Spoiling Action. Utilizing maneuver to influence your opponent's maneuver is Diversion. Special tricks that execute in 1-2 turns are Tactics, contrasted against your over-arching approach to winning a match is Strategy.

I play Semi-Competitive because after being a true believer and disciple of Competitiveness for years, I personally feel that 6th Edition made a mockery of game balance... but I've never had more fun than I do now! I still play nails-hard and I play to Win, but nevermore at the expense of fun for my opponent. Play what you like, or you won't like to play

Mezkh

Mezkh

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 685 posts
I dunno Mort, the list seems very...5th editiony.

The divination Libby 'guiding' your Assault sqd or the Attk Bikes is nice...Vulkan showed us how good twin-linking Melta is.

I'm not really feeling the Razors or the Rhino filled with short ranged troops though. Razors that get close die, being hit on 3's instead of 6's sees to that. So you've either got a dead razor, or a deadweight squad inside one for 165 points.

I would much rather bank on 180 points buying me 10 warm bodies with that same lascannon. I get the Lascannon and a unit that can hose down bolter and fire at shorter range.

I'd take an army of Sniper scouts and Auto/Las Predators over a razorspam army myself. 50 points more per choice, but so much less confused.

Morticon

Morticon

++ FILIUS VINDICOR ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 13,750 posts
Mez- you're right with the 5th ed feel.

And after a few play tests, I've been feeling that way with the razor squads.
I will try a 10 man tac, but I dont believe their ability is the same. I really need mobile firepower and the ability to get troops to a certain location.

I will def give the tacs a try though. Any other suggestions for 180 points though? Non-troops even?

Citadel - as for the libby dread, I've been having good success with him. His ability to pop thunderwolves and paladins alike has been very beneficial. He doesn't draw too much fire, because the Rhinos are usually first to the foreground. In this list the bikers will probs boost forward, along with the rhino and the Corbs Razor, so the immediate threats normally get the attention of the enemy.

That being said, I'm also liking the way fliers are working in 6th. And my 6th ed nationals list may need to include one.
Gamist, cheesy, beardy or broken; If Games Workshop put it in the book I'll gladly play against it, or with it. - Mort

There is no harm in, on occasion, having disagreements. It's another thing entirely, however, to be a tool in conveying that disagreement.

"OP: The term used by players to describe a combination of yours they are personally unable to beat"

Corbulo Tactica

CitadelArmyGuy

CitadelArmyGuy

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,143 posts
I'd try to get that Libby to an Epistolary. For 100pts, you get one Power. For 150pts, you cast two powers. Or two libby's to cast one each is 200pts.... I really feel that Epistolary is a great idea, especially with that awesome Divination table! 4/6 of the powers are simply boss-- and the Primaris is superb as well. Chances are you won't roll both of the stinkers, and if you roll one of them then trade for the Primaris.

For 50% of his points increase, he gets 100% utility boost. Not to mention he can start self-comboing...

Edited by CitadelArmyGuy, 11 July 2012 - 02:19 AM.

Active Duty United States Army, Alumni of The Citadel Military College. 6th Edition: 54 Win - 6 Tie - 5 Loss // 7th Edition: 10 Win - 0 Tie - 0 Loss

Nine Principles of Warfare: Objective, Offensive, Mass, Economy of Force, Maneuver, Unity of Command, Security, Surprise, Simplicity. In tabletop wargaming, 8 of 9 apply.

Military terminology: A tarpit is a Fix. A bubblewrap is a Screen. Deathstars are Shock Units. Baiting units is an Ambush. Buffing is Force Multiplication. A pre-emptive decision is a Spoiling Action. Utilizing maneuver to influence your opponent's maneuver is Diversion. Special tricks that execute in 1-2 turns are Tactics, contrasted against your over-arching approach to winning a match is Strategy.

I play Semi-Competitive because after being a true believer and disciple of Competitiveness for years, I personally feel that 6th Edition made a mockery of game balance... but I've never had more fun than I do now! I still play nails-hard and I play to Win, but nevermore at the expense of fun for my opponent. Play what you like, or you won't like to play

Mezkh

Mezkh

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 685 posts
I forget what you have access to, but the closest possible feel is something like

Libby - (Divination)
Captain - Pwr Lance, MB (SM DEX)

Libby Dread - Shield/Fear
Corbulo

7 DC - 2PF
Rhino
10 Tactical Squad, Lascannon, Melta, Combi-Melta
Razor - TLHF
10 RAS - 2MG, PF
5 Bikes, 2PG, PF, + Attack Bike - MM (SM DEX)

2 Attk Bks - 2MM

AC/LC Pred

Just costs 50 more points hey? :/

Black Memories

Black Memories

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 293 posts
Death company or any assault/counter assault unit in a rhino is an atrocity in 6th edition. The fact that its more beneficial to have a rhino destroyed than to simply deploy out of it shows a bit of the ridiculousness that assault squads have to deal with with non-assault transports. Rhinos are significantly better in this edition in my opinion, just not with assault troops in them.

I've personally had good luck running a tactical squad in a rhino + assault squad jumpers and lib in term armor and 5 th/ss terminators in a raven. Ravens are MUCH tougher now, even with other fliers or anti-air weaponry their "weakness" has been greatly exaggerated (likely by those who have no actually run them). While i was initially not brave enough to put non-stormshield units in the raven, I probably will start doing so given how difficult they are to destroy.

I havent tried mephiston, but I imagine he's similar in strength to the previous edition, with the exception of needing to pay a bit closer attention to what he's getting into, and needing to combo his assaults up more.

Either way seeing that DC with a rhino really bothers me in 6th edition. If you've had good luck with it more power too you, but I dont like having my counter-assault happen a turn after I need it, or simply sit out in the open waiting for my head to get blown off and/or recieving a charge as the most charge-strengthened unit in the game. Just doesn't sit well with me.

Try the DC in a raven, it may surprise you. One predator probably isn't worth it anyways, I've found they work a lot better in pairs in my experience.

Morticon

Morticon

++ FILIUS VINDICOR ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 13,750 posts
Yeah, after the routing of the Paladins, i'm having a big rethink of things.

Dont think my list is going to be too similar, and very likely will have 2 ravens.

I like having some rhino boxes on the field as mobile cover, but I get what you're saying about the DC. I'll try a few things.

Corbulo Tactica

Morticon

Morticon

++ FILIUS VINDICOR ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 13,750 posts
Nationals !

Okay, so - end September will see Jo-burg host this years Nationals. (They alternate between the two big cities each year).

The rivalry is a lot like what you'd expect from East Coast/West Coast or NY/LA - city wise. So, im needing to bring it.

The meta is always different up in JHB so its tough to know what to expect - other than its the money city so, theyre usually rocking more power builds/expensive builds than down in CT,

Im looking at a few options.

Mephy - my home boy of 5th has taken a very big hit as far as his FW is concerned. At AP3 only, he's going to really struggle against Pallies and Termies.
That being said, hes still a complete monster, and with new fleet rules is almost faster than before. Added to the fact he will always get his FNP. So, Im a bit torn there.
I do feel that Meta wise, we will see a rise in certain power units like nob bikers, so mephy is a great counter to them.

My other new love is the humble SM libby with Null Zone.
This power is just incredible.
There are SO many units with invulnerable saves now- especially the death star types (SS terms, SS Thuunderwolves, Cybork Biker Nobs - as well as a host of other annoyances).
Null Zone for me is now my favourite power for a competitive army.

Sadly, the SM dex with the libby ally leader only allows me to take SM Craptical squads and Scouts. And at 150 for 9snipers and a ML - id much rather take them.

Additionally Fliers are golden. I need at least one or two. I was thinking seriously about the Talon in my list, but realised that for 45 points more than I would be paying for a talon Id get the Raven....so...yeh.

At present heres what I have as my core:

Corbulo
10 RAS - 2MG, Fist
8 DC - 4Bltr, PF, TH
Rhino
Raven - TLLC, TLMM

(805points.)

That's pretty much the non negotiable.
Now I have the optionals.

I love the following units:

Mephy (250)
SM Libby (100)
BA Epistolary (150)
2/3 Attack Bikers - (100/150)
Snippy Furioso Dread (140)

Factors to consider:

Shooting.
Fighting.
Scoring

I feel I need between 3-4 scoring units, at least two of which should be 8 or more strong.

What to do?

Any thoughts or suggestions?

Cheers,
Morticon.

Corbulo Tactica

CitadelArmyGuy

CitadelArmyGuy

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,143 posts
Gosh I feel pretty presumptuous to recommend a list! But here's my thoughts--- SM Libby can GoI with Sternguard-- Potentially can drop an attackbike to get the Epistolary upgrade. Everything else is pretty clear cut more or less. How'd I do?

Mephiston
SM Libby: GoI, Null Zone

Corbulo
Sternguard x8: 2x combis
Death Company x8: PF, TH

Foot-RAS x5: Rhino, MG
JP-RAS x10: PF, 2x MG
JP-RAS x5: MG, PW
SM Scouts x5: ML, 4x Snipers

Attack Bike x2: MM

Stormraven: TLLC, TLMM

Morticon

Morticon

++ FILIUS VINDICOR ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 13,750 posts

Gosh I feel pretty presumptuous to recommend a list! But here's my thoughts--

Dont feel presumptuous dude! Its new opinions and insights that allow us to question what we take for granted/at face value. I appreciate it.

Here my thoughts.

1. Unless its for the mobile scoring and firepower of a Razor, Id be very reluctant to get a squad in a rhino without a special combat weapon of some sort. I feel that if im paying for marines, i need to use them somehow. (this would tempt me to get a weapon in the Stern too!)

2. Im a tad worried about the rhino- i think that maybe the list could work really well as an infantry list!! So, id consider droppin that, and then rockin the infantry vibe.

3. Im a bit low on long range weapons turn 1, but maybe mitigated a bit by the Raven turn 2+.

Ill try give this a bash. Really want to try out Sternguard!

Corbulo Tactica

Mezkh

Mezkh

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 685 posts
I don't get the 'Craptical squads'. I'm so jealous of Space Marine Combat Tactics.

I reckon you'd get yonks more out of a full Tactical with Combi-weapon, special weapon, Multimelta, Rhino than the SM scouts, in order to unlock the Libby. They're reaaally good now.

Mezkh

Mezkh

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 685 posts
You know, I just figured out a pretty fun thing with allied Librarians.

Simultaneous events, like Psychic Powers, are cast in an order of the owning player's choice.

Meaning a Blood Angel Libby can cast Prescience on some Sternguard with an SM ally withing 12, who then gate and rapidfire special ammo with rerolls to hit. That's a pretty tasty combo.

Morticon

Morticon

++ FILIUS VINDICOR ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 13,750 posts
The comment was partly in reference to their ability compared to BA.
Ive been spoiled by the BA dex- I think thats the reason for my slight dislike of regular SM Tacs. Tacticals in of themselves I dont think are awful.
Combat Tactics is GREAT. Incredible in the new rules.

But, the marines themselves dont have FNP and dont have FC - both very useful for front line fighting.

Also,

point for point, the above combo is 245 (and two VP), the scouts are 124 (for 8)- 150 for 10. I can get the libby and the scouts for the cost of the marines only.

Then there's battlefield role.

I need something on home plate. BA are by their nature (and by my playstyle) aggressive. If I'm moving towards the enemy, I need units on home plate to secure objectives. Tactical marines are expensive for this duty alone and in my view a poor use of points. Theyre great when you have something else to do that, and then said Tacs can move up and support the rest of the army, maybe becoming the Mechanised vanguard, and holding tight until the jumpers get there.

But, with straight marine Tacs in our list, I feel theres a lack of synergy without home plate watchers.

Corbulo Tactica

BloodTzar

BloodTzar

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 830 posts
I would not bother with Mephiston any more, as AP3 is a fail, I know he can wreck any AV, nob bikers atc. But still is not worth his points in my opinion.

Moreover I would stronlgy suggest BIO/DIV BA SS axe libby. Prheaps a SW Jump libby in artificier armor with axe, not only he unlocks GH's, he is beast in CC on top of his 4+ dispell.

On the other hand, I you might get inspired with my 1850p list I am currently running.

HQ:
SS Libby (div, bio)

ELITES:
Jump Priest (LC-but thinking of axe), Corbs
3TH/SS-2LC Termies - walking making cover for jumpers behind
Frag Furiouso with HF in DP

TROOPS:
10 RAS -2melta,PF
5 RAS- melta, TH
7 DC- TH, PF (2bolters)- ride in SR1
DC dread with fists- rides in SR2

HEAVY
2xSR(MM,AC,ExA)

Edited by BloodTzar, 23 July 2012 - 08:35 AM.

PER ASPERA AD ASTRA 

CitadelArmyGuy

CitadelArmyGuy

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,143 posts

I would not bother with Mephiston any more, as AP3 is a fail, I know he can wreck any AV, nob bikers atc. But still is not worth his points in my opinion.

I disagree. Yes 2+ is getting a bump in lists--- but Meph is highly mobile and a canny player can make sure he hits the correct targets. It ain't about 'playin fair', its about making sure he gets matched up with something he can slaughter.

Unless you are playing against All-2+ armies (Morticon decides on the meta he's facing on how rare or common those are in tournaments) then there will always something tasty for Mephiston to destroy.

Not to mention, it will take minimum of 5 shots at AP2 to kill him. Minimum. Add BS rolls, Wound rolls, potential cover saves--- the enemy will usually have to devote more than 250pts of shooting at him, hence the rest of the Army survives so much better.

Also he's still an amazing removal system for the following: NobBikerz, Flying-Tyrants (& the Swarmlord), Flying Lash-Daemon Princes, Tervigons, Trygons, Crisis-Suits, Land Raiders-Monoliths (well, all nonflyer vehicles really), Corbulo (for mirror-matches), and the clutch: ALL troops from EVERY codex (minus Deathwing+copies obv)

In a game where the holding objectives with Troops is how you win, having a Troop-killer like Mephiston who requires a dedicated effort to kill makes him still pretty effective.

(Also-- if you face Deathwing or All 2+, then take 2x Biomancy. That's 2 dice to get one of the two powers that turn Meph into a "Toughness Tank." 66% chance)

Edited by CitadelArmyGuy, 24 July 2012 - 07:37 AM.

Morticon

Morticon

++ FILIUS VINDICOR ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 13,750 posts
Couldn't have said it better Citadel.

I will have the shooty element (raven mostly) melta, and fists for terms along with Null Zone libby.

Im still debating whether or not I want a snippy dread or a bashy dread.

That being said, I REALLY like the list you suggested- id just want more troops A, and B would like something to deal with pesky Invlns. ><; though, may not be necessary.

If you have a suggestion with more troops, i will try playtest that.

Corbulo Tactica

CitadelArmyGuy

CitadelArmyGuy

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,143 posts
What about dropping the Rhino, 1DC, 1Stern, and 1 attackbike and adding 5 scouts, Epistolary, and PW to RAS?

Mephiston
SM Libby: GoI, Null Zone, Epistolary (Access to swap for Telepathy on-deployment)
Corbulo
Sternguard x7: 2x MG, 2x combi of choice (OR 4x combis of choice)
Death Company x7: 2x PF
JP-RAS x10: PF, 2x MG
JP-RAS x10: PW, 2x MG
SM Scouts x10: ML, 9x Snipers
Attack Bike x1: MM

Of course you can drop the Lone attackbike for 2x Sternguard but then they are a lot of points in one spot-- but with GoI Libby casting Null Zone at the same time, they would hit really hard. Options....

Morticon

Morticon

++ FILIUS VINDICOR ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 13,750 posts
i wont have the lone biker (vp in 2 mishs)- so maybe more DC or more stern. Maybe 1 more of each.

also, never tried the walkin DC - but i will playtest this as well. I really like, too

Corbulo Tactica

CitadelArmyGuy

CitadelArmyGuy

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,143 posts
Oh I thought the DC would be in the SR? That was my thought.

And can drop the Bike for +1 Stern, +1 DC by turning one of the PF into PowerAx. Prob better use of points, that.

Morticon

Morticon

++ FILIUS VINDICOR ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 13,750 posts
Citadel,

im going to play test a version of this.

Mephy
SM Libby
Corbs

7 Sternguard - Pod (various weapons) 250 pnts worth.

10 RAS - 2MG, PF
10 RAS - 2MG, PF
10 Scouts - 9SR, ML

Raven
Raven

I think it has too few boots on the ground, but will see how it plays. If it stinks, I'll change out the Raven for something on the ground - or something like a dread to deal with horde.

Corbulo Tactica

Morticon

Morticon

++ FILIUS VINDICOR ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 13,750 posts
I playtested the following yesterday:

Mephy
SM Libby - JumpPack
Corbs
7 DC - 2 Axes
10 TAC - PG, LC, PF
10 SCT - 9SR, ML
10 RAS - 2MG, PF

Raven
Raven

Aegis + Quad

I got incredibly unlucky with both Ravens -one dying cheaply to a twin-linked las shot from the ground, and nuking 6/7 DC, and the other coming in on turn 4, mishapping (I wanted to try see how DS worked in the Hammer and Anvil Mish) and then getting placed away from the fight backside to the action.

I still managed to pull a draw -but only thanks to Mephy getting the scoring ability.

It didnt feel like much - this list. It didnt feel that it had nearly enough punch. Admitedly I was playing with nearly a 600point handicap ;) but even still, its too iffy.

My idea was to play a sort of defensive game. Just weather the storm until the ravens come on and then have them annoy the crap out of the enemy. The issue was we drew a game where we had 3 objectives, and he placed 2 of them, 2 being in his zone. This meant I had to go to him.
So, in the Dual objective game and uneven objective games, im looking at the same problem.

The walking tactical squad did alright, but I feel weren't really useful and another jumpy squad would probs be better if I were to go without a rhino.

More tests and feedback soon.

Corbulo Tactica

Mezkh

Mezkh

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 685 posts
I don't think I'd ever put Death Company in a Flyer myself. Stuff happens like that ^_^

Stormshield Termies, Mephy, Dreads sure. But you don't have to fill them up.

Comms relay for the win with the Aegis too if you have double Ravens.

Maybe Sternguard are better than Death Company if you're trying to go more shooty. Otherwise, it cries out for the Bloodfist Death Company Dread to sit in one Raven and Mephy in the other.

Edited by Mezkh, 31 July 2012 - 11:18 AM.

Morticon

Morticon

++ FILIUS VINDICOR ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 13,750 posts
Play tested the following as suggested (or at least inspired by Citadel:

Mephiston
SM Libby: Vortex, Null Zone

Corbulo
Sternguard x7: 2x combi-melta, HF, Fist
Terminators x5: 3x hammers (claw sarge)

TAC x10: PF, Combi-plas, Plas, Las
RAS x10: PF, 2x MG
SM Scouts x10: ML, 9x Snipers

REALLY liking the ability of precision shots from the snipers.
Really liked the terms.
Tried mephy with Biomancy - got warp speed and endurance (which he granted to other squads nearby).
The extra attacks were awesome though, didnt need the extra Wings/S thaaat much.

Unsure about the tactical squad, though the ability to move around and still bring fire to bear is great.
The sternguard were GREAT. Really really liked them.

Will try another game or two with this set up.

Corbulo Tactica