A reckless disregard for the Codex Astartes...

The Yak

Im liking the progress on the Sternguard and that HQ with the Ravenguard bits is awesome. For the scouts I think if you added the vent like the mk7 helmets to the top or maybe some piping to the side of the face plates again like the normal marine helmets it may work better. I have to say though I do prefer it without the plume on top. Love the raptor school as well. :P

The scouts.......I don't know, maybe bare heads from the fantasy ranges, like the Empire. Difficult subject.

The veterans look greast so far ! But my favourite is the Chaplain. The conversions on him are fantastic. Where is the head from ?

Cheers

Great looking army, really like all the conversions and the wheather green in your army, my favourite models are the 10th company chaplain and the old tactical sgt with the auspex, also the idea of the facemask on the scouts is cool. I did a fast photoshop work to show you somthing that IMHO could look a bit more astarte than alien:

gallery_45127_7689_10040.jpg

Hope that helps.

I just wanted to share how I solved the head problem on my scouts. The idea was. I wanted them to have a helmet but it had to look less high tech than a SM and more than an IG. I found these from Pig Iron. They work great (Sorry for posting pics on your thread).

http://i749.photobucket.com/albums/xx132/vim_the_good/40K/scout.jpg

I have also seen people use the Elysian drop troop helm and they also look great.

Just some ideas.

Cheers, Vim :mellow:

The inheirant problem with the pig iron heads, though cool, is that everyone and their Grandma suggests them. And uses them. The Raptor masks are gnarly and unique, and I hope you stick with them.

I must say I really like what you've been doing.

Especially using the Scourge heads for your Scouts.

I'm thinking of adding the same thing to some Scouts just so i dont have to use those fuggly bare faced heads.

Also loving the different Pedros. I have to say I like the first one the best.

That Cassius is so bad ass by the way.

I'm going to add to the group that says shave off the mohawks. There's no way around it - it's a ton of work, but totally worth the hassle if you ask me.

The helmets are refreshing and they certainly fit the Raptors style. Very nice choice of bits.

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry Ive been neglecting the Raptors for a while trying to do some rough rider allies.

Thanks for all your comments folks.

Bio: Yep feathers are coming off!

Boramar: Yeah I need to get back to doing some Raptors so I can take the mickey out of another chapter. Any requests?

Batu: The head is from the current chaos version of Huron Blackheart. I may need to add a little modification but I like the look of it.

vim_the_good: Don't worry about posting pictures on my thread mate anything that can offer inspiration is a good thing in my opinion. Must say very nice paint job on that scout, especially the visor. I take it that is a homebrew chapter, would not mind seeing more of your work. Im going to go with the modified scourge helm but cheers for the ideas.

Heathens: Funnily enough I was at me Gran's the other day and she asked me if I had thought of using pig iron heads. When I told her I was going to go ahead and modify the scourge helmet, she spat her biscuit into her cup of tea and called me a crazy badger.

alejandrinus: I kind of love you and hate you. That idea to add the side and back to the helmet is too cool an idea to ignore so I am going to have to do it now, it is the only way. It's going to be a lot of work and my main worry is consistency. Then again I may dabble with some of that blue stuff after getting the right look. So thanks very much for the idea.

Mr.Malevolent: Cheers Mr. I have decided to use the second Pedro effort as a Sternguard Sergeant. I am searching for different power fists and storm bolters to try and get the right pose on the first one.

Darth Potato: You are right there is no way round it. It will hopefully give me a pretty unique scout force that I will be made up with when its done. I will try to make a few variants and then cast some up so I dont have to make 40 odd! Cheers.

LamenterMarine: Cheers mate. Ive dried up a little at the moment as I got distracted on other stuff. I need to set myself a goal and then get on with it. 5 sternguard by end of september's the plan. How you getting on with your Lamenters anyway?

Ive not got any pictures sorry as the stuff Ive been doing is not Power Armour. Also I can only do Raptor School at the completion of each squad. Boooo who came up with that idea?

Heathens: Funnily enough I was at me Gran's the other day and she asked me if I had thought of using pig iron heads. When I told her I was going to go ahead and modify the scourge helmet, she spat her biscuit into her cup of tea and called me a crazy badger.

Your Gran? :( Your Gran plays Warhammer?

Ludovic

Glad you seem to be getting round the scout helmet issue and beating those blues! Just a suggestion, I think that if you squared off the 'beak' on the scourge helmets it would help make them look a lot less alien, ie. literally just cut off the slight pointy bit towards the bottom so it's a flat edge. If you're planning on tournaments then yeah, Pig Iron definitely isn't the way to go. Cheers for the compliment and the many others you left on my thread.

I vote for the Korvydae conversion for your Kantor, the other guy looks a bit plain, though I agree you probably need to change the fist if sprinting for cover is what you're going for with the pose.

Very jealous of you 1. Affording finecast LotD and 2. Having the balls to cut them up and have it turn out so well!

Great Stuff, Yak. Nice to see the Raptors embraced by yet another person with vision. I'm liking the shaved down scout helmets. Almost makes me wish I hadn't gone the Pig Iron route. Did you get a kit to cannibalize? Or just those bitz? I can see the feathered wings from those guys making great character jump packs. Along THESE LINES.... :cuss Keep up the GREAT work. Reminds me that I need to get back to my own Raptors. Chaos has been distracting me for a few months.

Nice Raptors Yak; I am liking the look battle worn and the overall colour palette (lovely green), and some nice conversions - new Chaplain and the first Pedro counts as especially (I like his running/pointing pose, very aggressive).

And lol funny stabs at the Codex marines, will be tuning in for more :(

• 4 months later...

Long time no post and long time no Raptor lovin I am afraid. Ive been busy with Uni and real life which is a lame excuse I know.....

Thanks for all the comments lads.

I did find some time to build some Sternguard, Tacticals and a Landspeeder over Christmas though, so I will show you them now. Nothing special really but it will get be back on track I hope.

http://i1103.photobucket.com/albums/g473/Adavers/084_zpsae7c6b33.jpg

I really like this guys pose. Relaxed, checking what the naughty scouts are getting up to, probably writing "clean me" on the back of dirty Landraiders.

http://i1103.photobucket.com/albums/g473/Adavers/085_zpsa115ecda.jpg

This guy is advancing steadily. Cut up another LOD for this chap

http://i1103.photobucket.com/albums/g473/Adavers/086-1_zps34b24a9d.jpg

The sergeant, Needs a little GS work on his belt thingy and bird skull emblem on sword

http://i1103.photobucket.com/albums/g473/Adavers/087_zps986ac402.jpg

I love un-rimmed pads on Raptors. If I had the patience I would shave off all the rims on all my pads. I have not.

http://i1103.photobucket.com/albums/g473/Adavers/088-1_zpsec087b77.jpg

Steady advance again.

http://i1103.photobucket.com/albums/g473/Adavers/090_zps10a1c06f.jpg

Landspeeder Tornado Double MM.

http://i1103.photobucket.com/albums/g473/Adavers/089_zps5373ab68.jpg

A close up of Brothers Kaemon and Loreaz. The last two survivors of Squad 8 (The rest killed in Badab War). Rather than join survivors of squad 7 these two prefer to go solo in a Landspeeder, volunteering for the most dangerous suicide missions. Beginning to get a reputation for having a Death Wish. Thing is they always complete their mission and make it back. Captain Chrystaesos refers to them as the "Two Bloody Heroes" but loves them really.

http://i1103.photobucket.com/albums/g473/Adavers/091-1_zps74b0e01a.jpg

Close up of Brother Kaemon. Note they both wear MKVIII armour yet both scorn the wearing of helmets. "If the Emperor wanted us dead we would have died at Badab" Captain Chrysaetos often replies to this with "Yeah the thing is, its not the bloody Emperor who wants you dead is it? You pair of divvies. Its a good job your heads are so thick the bullets just bounce off!"

http://i1103.photobucket.com/albums/g473/Adavers/083_zps084df3ae.jpg

Here is the Sergeant of the second Tactical squad. The rest of the squad is made up but is just the usual builds.

Thats it for now hopefully these will see some paint before Christmas...

Hey Yak this is a fantastic log - I really like your Raptors and the use of mixed armour Mks...Keep going mate - I want to see paint on those minis! :biggrin.:

+1  Love the humour as well ^_^

Archived