The Exeter Crusade (Foulest Heresy!) 1MAR2016

Krikey

Such an awesome job. To be honest I had intended to use that picture of cypher as reference for my own conversion, but like you said etl was coming to a close and I couldn't find a sword I liked. The one you have, does that come with the kit or did you make it yourself.

Thanks, guys.

Such an awesome job. To be honest I had intended to use that picture of cypher as reference for my own conversion, but like you said etl was coming to a close and I couldn't find a sword I liked. The one you have, does that come with the kit or did you make it yourself.

It's the crossguard of a grey knight sword of some sort and the hilt of something else -- part of some high elf staff, maybe? The scabbard is the only part I made.

~K

And to think I've gone this long without remembering how much I hate you.

Good reminder, right here.

But ... I haven't even done the plaid yet!

~K

I know, and I thank you for the grace period. I have a lot of torches to make before you do...

laugh.png

Edit- One thing that I did notice: The Dark Angel terminator censor maul thingy the one guy is holding looks awfully flat. Seems all that detail is kinda wasted on a monotone paintjob.

And to think I've gone this long without remembering how much I hate you.

Good reminder, right here.

But ... I haven't even done the plaid yet!

~K

I know, and I thank you for the grace period. I have a lot of torches to make before you do...

laugh.png

Edit- One thing that I did notice: The Dark Angel terminator censor maul thingy the one guy is holding looks awfully flat. Seems all that detail is kinda wasted on a monotone paintjob.

Yeah, I haven't aged the bronze yet. It's going to get a green-blue patina.

~K

Krikey these are absolutely beautiful models; and once they are "finished" they will be nothing short of sublime I'm sure. I have to ask though, where did you get the diminutive chains wrapped around cypher's sword? I can't find small link chain to save my life, and need it for a number of projects I'm working on.

Krikey these are absolutely beautiful models; and once they are "finished" they will be nothing short of sublime I'm sure. I have to ask though, where did you get the diminutive chains wrapped around cypher's sword? I can't find small link chain to save my life, and need it for a number of projects I'm working on.

Thanks! You can find chain at http://www.builders-in-scale.com/bis/parts-chain.html or various other dealers. I believe I used the 40 lpi chain on the sword.

~K

• 11 months later...

Krikey, I don't know how active you are with your BT army since your last post is almost a year old, but I'm glad I came across this thread.  The artwork is truly mind-blowing, and I do call it artwork, not hobby, because this is way beyond just plastic dudes and tanks.

You sir, are a true source of inspiration, keep up the epic work and I hope to see more of your Templar brethren soon.

Sincerely,

Phoenix.

• 7 months later...

I didn't realize how long it had been since I'd posted anything here. It's actually a bit embarrassing. Anyway, I've finally finished weathering the spartans I began way back when. Here they are:

gallery_60019_11670_976433.jpg

gallery_60019_11670_297206.jpg

gallery_60019_11670_966040.jpg

And, as always when posting pics, I just realized there's still work to be done -- I didn't do any weathering on the ramps. Oh, well. It's good enough for now.

~K

Thanks for the kind words, everyone. They're greatly appreciated and make me feel like painting up a bit more than I have been lately.

I'd say they're pretty big pretty tanks. Oh so pretty. Maybe the tracks are a little dark? Still blown away by everything else.

Yeah, I think you're right. The tracks are pretty dark. Perhaps I should detail some gleaming, freshly scratched metal and then weather in some crushed rock and concrete, which would lighten them up quite a bit.

~K

I was hesitant to post this here, but even though he's an Imperial Fist, he *is* Sigismund, after all. So here he is. I was going for a Jason Statham-ish appearance. Not sure if I got it or not, but here he is.

I got this model, unpainted, in a trade, and after working with it, I'm uncertain of its provenance. Regardless, I'm relatively happy with the way this one looks.

gallery_60019_11779_999512.jpg

gallery_60019_11779_916713.jpg

gallery_60019_11779_309294.jpg

gallery_60019_11779_529684.jpg

~K

He looks amazing Krikey. I like all the little things you did to give him some "character" like the little blood trickles on him ('cause he don't bleed) and your treatment of the black sword. I am definitely going to look at your technique when it comes to painting my figure.

Roots:

Regarding his nation of origin, if the resin is yellow-ish color, then you can assume that he came from the East. However, just because the resin is grey, does not mean that he's from FW. The Russian and German recasters all use a grey colored resin. I've also noticed that some of the Chinese casters have shifted to a grey as well.

The long and the short of it is, unless you ordered directly from FW, then it's difficult to know.

When he first came out, I had a friend who was going to Nottingham for one of the events pick up a FW copy for me. I didn't notice any issues, other than the typical slight bending of thin parts. That was really early in the production cycle.

That being said, given how strong the dollar is right now compared to the pound, I would seriously consider ordering direct. My orders (albeit pretty small orders) arrive pretty quickly and given their new process of putting their models in boxes before packing, there's less likelihood of breakage along the way, not withstanding the tender mercies of the USPS.

Your next assignment Krikey, is a Leviathan. I HAVE to see what you'd do with him.

I.have.to. :)

He looks amazing Krikey. I like all the little things you did to give him some "character" like the little blood trickles on him ('cause he don't bleed) and your treatment of the black sword. I am definitely going to look at your technique when it comes to painting my figure.

Thank you! The sword was an accident, but I think I can duplicate it.

Regarding his nation of origin, if the resin is yellow-ish color, then you can assume that he came from the East. However, just because the resin is grey, does not mean that he's from FW. The Russian and German recasters all use a grey colored resin. I've also noticed that some of the Chinese casters have shifted to a grey as well.

Yeah, it was almost a perfect match in color for the FW resin, but on closer examination, the texture, strength, and detail were slightly off, including the existence of some truly bizarre mold-lines. I should have examined him more closely before accepting the trade. I'll know better next time.

Your next assignment Krikey, is a Leviathan. I HAVE to see what you'd do with him.

I.have.to. :)

Your request is my command.

med_gallery_60019_7511_163864.png

Raar! I should have the leviathan in the next few days. However, I've vowed to paint 10 Templar Brethren and 10 Cataphractii before the leviathan. (That's an additional 10 Templar Brethren on the way, so I will have 20 in all.)

I'm also working on someone rather heretical to join them. Someone who took a "pathway to many abilities some consider to be ... unnatural."

edit P.S.: I hate that I'm now paying sales tax on FW orders. Puts me off me tea.

~K

We continue to examine the lost artifacts of Phall VIII. In addition to the six other habitations, we found a seventh. We knew there would be a seventh, of course. I mean, it doesn’t take a genius when the others are numbered 1, 2, 4, 5, 6, 7! Habitation 3 was almost completely buried beneath millennia of silt and ammonial ice. I found it, though, I certainly did. Well, I suppose I did have the help of some others, but let no one say Remembrancer Krikey sat on his expanding backside and did nothing!

In the communication center of Habitation 3 we found the skeletal remains of a comslave and an Imperial Fist sergeant. His armour is in quite good repair – I’m certain the …

Oh, but I’m blathering.

We found a dataslate. Something rather disturbing, and which seems to deeply concern even our esteemed Reclusiarch. The archive follows:

6.008.342.M31

Phall System, VIII

Sergeant Zdivins

Course: Tight Astral Projection Relay CQ138.MLX.Terra.Sub.19

Adjustment: Class III Temporal Distortion -48832.94

My Lord,

This is our third and final attempt at contact. Summary of previous attempts precedes new information.

I: (007.920.M31) Post Phall engagement, Gladius Frigate Wall of Defiance suffered critical damage to warp drives and communications array. Made emergency planetfall at Phall VIII. Planetary conditions sub-optimal. Temperatures range -218 to -65 standard. Water present in vast underground lakes, ammonium separation possible.

IIa: (007.986.M31) Habs complete. 34882.12, -1002.93. Bright face. Survivors: Astartes, 212. Servitors, 8230. Unadapted, 3108. Astropaths, 3

IIb: (007.989.M31)Distress signal, Imperial Fist signifiers, 29311.09, -121.55. Decodes as follows: EMERXXXXY PLXXETFALL SOMEWHERE SE YOUXXXXXITION – NOVXXXRIGATE OBDURATION NON-VIABLE – 4 ANVILXXS – SURVIVXXS 3X IMPEXIAL FISTS – SUPPLIES MINIMXX

End summary.

008.341.M31, 03h (Coms Officer Corinth):

Expedition Beta followed Expedition Alpha after communication loss at -32 hours. Communication loss with Expedition Beta at -16 hours. Magnetic anomalies roughly 2/3 distance to distress signal may be cause of disruption. Sending signal booster deployment to anomaly.

008.341.M31, 19h (Coms Officer Corinth):

Signal booster deployment indicates some disruption, but communication is viable despite no further communication from Expeditions Alpha or Beta. Lack of resources prevent further expeditions at this time. Total Astartes unaccounted for: 32

008.342.M31, 16h (Centurion Steiner):

At 16h this evening, a machine spirit echo was reflected on augury scanners 16km SE of Hab 3. Defense protocol Open Fist was initiated immediately and Phalanxes Gamma and Epsilon took interception point. The interception teams made contact with 2 Imperial Fist Spartans crewed by Templar Brethren, 30 in number, and Subconsul Evinger.

The Obduration survivors were brought to Hab 3 for medical care and debriefing.

_____

Nova Frigate Obduration was disabled by enemy fire during the Phall conflict and was adrift without communication or engines for 263 days. The Obduration supplies befitting a full crew would have been exhausted by day 175, so emergency protocols were initiated and successful at a loss of 8682 unadapted crew and servitors. On day 244, a critical reactor failure resulted in the irradiation and loss of an additional 9200 crew (estimated), including 128 Astartes.

On day 263, the Obduration neared the gravity well of Phall VIII and augury was made of our own position. Emergency planetfall was made, but a separation incident resulted in the loss of 6 Thunderhawk gunships, 22 Thunderhawk transports, 12 Stormbird transports, 3 Kharybdis drop pods, 4 Caestus assault rams, and a total of 12 lesser drop pods – nearly the entire assault and boarding complement. Only 5 Anvillus drop pods escaped to make the descent; one was lost during action.

_____

The survivors sent an emergency distress call tightbeamed to our position, resulting in the aforementioned expeditions. Subconsul Korl Evinger reports that the expeditions suffered critical machine failure due to conditions near the magnetic anomaly, but the crews suffered only minor loss and are recovering in the emergency habs at Obdurate station. The arrival of 30 Templar brethren and a subconsul is a very positive occurrence, but I suppose it is in the nature of our legion to find the ill in a good situation. I find it extremely vexing that none of the expedition members made the return trip with the Obdurate crew.

A reception is being prepared for the new arrivals, during which we hope to gain further details regarding the … blast … if this is not something … Report, Sergeant.

(Sergeant Weller): Apologies, my lord. Something is off with the servitors.

(Centurion Steiner): Off? If you have seen fit to interrupt my communication, sergeant, I would expect something to at least be amiss. Or awry, even.

(Sergeant Weller): My lord? I …

(Centurion Steiner): Nevermind, Sergeant. Contin—Are you still taking dictation? Of all the brainless … Cease immediately. You! Servitor with the stylus and dataslate! Cease –

*dictation interrupted*

008.342.M31, 16h (Sergeant Zdivins):

The worst has happened … something with the new arrivals … the servitors, most of them, they, they malfunctioned, began killing the support – the human support … they slaughtered them … Urrr …

I am sorry, please excuse me. I feel muddled, as though I have been exposed to a neural toxin I’m unable to metabolize. Continue dictation.

My name is Sergeant Kaven Zdivins. As far as I know, I am the ranking survivor of Hab 3. To continue, we ... Astartes, I mean, intervened in the killing, but the loss was horrendous. The new Templar Brethren, they were involved. Involved on the other side, I mean. But – I saw two of them. Helmetless. They were as twins. Even though I had seen their faces earlier and they were not. Twins, I mean. Their faces had ... changed. Then I encountered a third outside reactor well 17. He was standing over two Astartes guards, sword still activated. They had both lost their heads. The guards, I mean. The Templar was adjusting his helmet – he’d taken a blow to the faceplate. I moved to engage as he removed it and managed to kill him with a shot to the neck. His face – he was the same as the others – the same face as the two I’d seen before. But which was different. Different from before.

It is utter confusion out there. The other habs reported malfunctioning machine spirits – as well as their servitors – before we lost contact. The …

Apologies. Did you hear that?

Cannot … the whispering.

Do you hear it?

It’s maddening! Like spiders crawling about the surface of my brain! It’s …

Oh. It’s not … no … he comes … Evinger …

*end dictation*

med_gallery_60019_11779_94952.jpg

med_gallery_60019_11779_448102.jpg

med_gallery_60019_11779_166307.jpg

med_gallery_60019_11779_134198.jpg

med_gallery_60019_11779_87978.jpg

med_gallery_60019_11779_445407.jpg

med_gallery_60019_11779_304776.jpg

~K

Turn in your decoder ring and beanie, because you're officially kicked out of the clubhouse :P

Neat paint job though.  Heretic.

What about the commemorative tea cozy? Can I keep that?

~K

That whispering...was it Wardian in tone?

Awesome paint job.

Thank you! It pains me that I can't craft a witty response, but I'm afraid I don't catch the reference.

This makes Krikey sad.

~K

Archived