The Exeter Crusade (Foulest Heresy!) 1MAR2016

Krikey

I see.

Is this your entry for the for the "This is what Chuck Norris would look like if he was leading your Crusade" contest?

I thought entries weren't due until the end of September?

Love him.

Cheers,

Is that front tabard custom sculpting? Same with the crozius arm shoulder pad?

The top (above the belt) of the tabard and the top of the peaked breastplate, as well as the crozius arm shoulder pad are both sculpted, yes. I used super-sculpt for them.

I love that Chaplain, its incredibly cinematic and it has so much character, amazing job although I think his face is way too hidden, you can barely see it..

Yeah, it is pretty hidden, isn't it? I was wondering the same thing, but don't think I'll change it at this point. Or maybe I will. The skull actually has a nice jawline ... Not that you can see it. I'll have to consider. Edit: now that he's primed, I also find I hate the area where his halo joins to his head. Too protruding and too rough. I'm going to have to scrape it and try again. Bleah.

And was that September, Honda? I thought maybe I entered too late again. He still needs painting, though. I don't think I'll win, either. Chuck Norris doesn't need a gun. Or a crozius. Or TDA. All he needs is jeans, boots, and a jean jacket ... with two built-in master-crafted power fists.

~K

• 7 months later...

Sorry it's been so long since an update. Here's another pic of the caestus I'm working on. I still need to do the lettering on the other side, touch up the lettering on this side, add some more highlights and shadows, and a good bit of weathering.

gallery_60019_7478_338727.jpg

~K

you used stencils for those words right?

I wish I had some that would work. No, I mark them in lightly with pencil and then paint them in. It's a bit of a pain. That side took me about 8 hours.

~K

I wish I had some that would work. No, I mark them in lightly with pencil and then paint them in. It's a bit of a pain. That side took me about 8 hours.

WHAT?!

It looks amazing, Im stealing your idea for my stormraven but theres no way I'll do it by hand, I dont have that kind of patience..

you used stencils for those words right?

~K

I.. my brain, I.. APOTHECARY I NEED TO GO DO DO

<lays sword down, and takes one knee, bows head>

I am not worthy enough to even lurk on this thread, let alone comment on it, yet I was compelled to give praise.

I am worthless and weak <drops to do push ups>.

Your work continues to amaze and inspire.

Welcome back Brother!

Brilliant work! I'm going to requisition your lettering idea for my crusade - if only I could requisition your talent, too :-)

Are you printing out your text from a standard font before pencilling it onto the model, and if so, what font are you using?

If you've just made up your own font, then I have no words to express my admiration.

@Golf33: I use Old English Text MT for the font, and I do a photoshop mockup before I start painting. I used to print out strips of text one after the other, and fiddle with them until they were the right size, but the image mockup does a better job for me (you can see an example on p.3 of this thread).

Here are some pics of the completed text. I still haven't gotten around to weathering yet, but I'm working on it. Right now I'm painting a couple of templar crosses on the assault ramps on the business end of the caestus. It's a bit of a bother, really, because of the surface, but I think it'll turn out all right.

gallery_60019_7478_1338514.jpg

gallery_60019_7478_171597.jpg

gallery_60019_7478_177194.jpg

gallery_60019_7478_995334.jpg

Sorry for the image quality. I moved at the end of the year and destroyed my light box in the process. I've yet to make another. I'll post more pics as I continue, but it's slow going.

~K

Archived