The Exeter Crusade (Foulest Heresy!) 1MAR2016

Krikey

Outstanding is all I can say. By the way how is caestus pronounced? Those of us at the club aren't sure of the pronunciation. Also brother I may have to procure you strip idea for my eagle. Kudos my good man.

Projects like this make me realize just how petty and jealous I can get...

Curse your awesome skills!!!!

:teehee:

You have earned my respect and hatred in (roughly) equal measure ;) 

... By the way how is caestus pronounced? Those of us at the club aren't sure of the pronunciation...

It's the original Latin spelling of 'cestus', and that's the way I say it -- [ses-tuhs]. However, in Classical Latin, 'C' is hard and 'AE' is usually close to a long "I" (as in 'light'), so it would probably be [kigh-stuhs]. Later Latin speakers might have said [keh-stuhs].

But I still say [seh-stuhs], because that's how they say it on Spartacus. And because (in Oklahoma, at least) correctly pronouncing words from other languages could result in the expulsion of a stream of tobacco juice in the direction of the speaker. In fact, just 'assault ram' is probably safest here.

~K

@Firepower: Awwww... That makes me feel all warm and fuzzy -- just like an ickle-bickle kitten!

~K

Here's another pic. If I keep going at this pace, the assault ram may be finished sometime in 2018. I painted my crusade cross on the ramps and began the weathering process. I'll likely add some burn and explosion marks in the next few days, and then continue the weathering process from front to back. I'll have to weather away some of the inset calligraphy, but hopefully not too much. When I'm done with weathering, I'll go back and brighten the lighting effects.

~K

gallery_60019_7478_2451530.jpg

With this style 2018 is acceptable brother.

Disagree Brother, awesomeness should never be delayed.

@Krikey: I don't know if I have the pauldrons to attempt putting a cross on the assault ramps, but I am watching your every move with rapt attention <cue The Police: Every Move You Make>

Latest pics. I'm going to let the thing ferment for awhile and begin work on the terminator squad it transports.

To do list for the caestus:

• clean up highlighting and add shading
  • add unit designation numbers to the wings and fuselage
  • give the exposed metal more definition (shade/highlight the edges and brighten the exposed metal)
  • add a bit more rust
  • finish the underside
  • clean up the heraldry (such as brighten the terminator seals and the crusade shields)
  • add flak damage and explosion marks
  • brighten the light sources, finalize the OSL
  • properly base the flight stand
  • anything else I can think of, such as possibly adding the terminator chaplain's personal heraldry
  • build another proper light box, so better photos can be taken

But I'm putting it on hold for the time being, and any advice would be appreciated*. Even if something seems obvious, it may not be obvious to me ... I've been staring at the bloody thing for far too long in the time I have to do so, and that tends to blind me even as to what might be considered obvious.

*Unless said advice originates from abomination, xenos, or heretic sources, or sources disloyal to the Emperor of Man, in which case the originator will be drawn, quartered, pilloried, burned at the stake, hung, pressed, boiled in oil, secured within an iron maiden, beaten, sat upon The Chair, drilled, impaled, tarred and feathered, exposed to harsh language, and perhaps placed before firing squad and shot, if enough bolters can be found within the armory. If an appropriate number of bolters are not available, the offender will take the place of a practice dummy in morning chainsword drills.

~K

gallery_60019_7478_1791439.jpg

gallery_60019_7478_1931582.jpg

gallery_60019_7478_765146.jpg

gallery_60019_7478_485472.jpg

gallery_60019_7478_1717280.jpg

I can only tell you I hate you so many times before it becomes redundant.  Haven't gotten there yet though.

I hate you.

I have a little jar in my refrigerator labeled "Coagulated Firepower Hatred". I sprinkle a little on my breakfast every morning. Helps me get through the tougher parts of my day. When a lecturer points at me in class and says, "Mr. Krikey, tell us why GLP-1 has little effect upon fasting glucose levels," I think back to that little bit of hatred burning in my gut and smile. Gives me the fortitude for a response, it does.

When I run out of Firepower hatred, I have to use chipotle powder, and it gives me heartburn and the belchies. Belchies that make one's nose run and one's eyes water are not good. Not good at all. Makes Krikey cry.

~K

If you refine it you can sell it on the Colombian black market for $1500 a kilo.  Don't try to cut it with chipotle though.  That's a good way to get shot.

There are wars and governments funded entirely by the illegal sales of my concentrated hatred.

There are wars and governments funded entirely by the illegal sales of my concentrated hatred.

kick ass quote

that model keeps getting better each time I see it, keep it up dude

If you refine it you can sell it on the Colombian black market for $1500 a kilo.  Don't try to cut it with chipotle though.  That's a good way to get shot.

I think I just, my lower half it... Apothecary it happened again!

I can only tell you I hate you so many times before it becomes redundant.  Haven't gotten there yet though.

I hate you.

I have a little jar in my refrigerator labeled "Coagulated Firepower Hatred". I sprinkle a little on my breakfast every morning. Helps me get through the tougher parts of my day. When a lecturer points at me in class and says, "Mr. Krikey, tell us why GLP-1 has little effect upon fasting glucose levels," I think back to that little bit of hatred burning in my gut and smile. Gives me the fortitude for a response, it does.

When I run out of Firepower hatred, I have to use chipotle powder, and it gives me heartburn and the belchies. Belchies that make one's nose run and one's eyes water are not good. Not good at all. Makes Krikey cry.

~K

A ) Hows the studies going (haven't read the thread in a while but you were going in medical weren't you)?

B ) Commissions, name your price, I want 2! Yes my firstborn is an option.

Edit: bad emoticons, bad!

A ) Hows the studies going (haven't read the thread in a while but you were going in medical weren't you)?

B ) Commissions, name your price, I want 2! Yes my firstborn is an option.

A ) Med school is horrid. I'm nearly twice the age of most of the students, and my brain is dusty and full of cobwebs. Studying 8 hours a day (and possible more on the weekends) is normal. wallbash.gif Luckily I'm currently in a section of material with which I'm more comfortable, so I can slack off like this and read the forums and then get in an hour or so of painting in the evening if my wife is in the mood to allow it.

B ) Considering I paint only for my own enjoyment and am probably already doing it more than I should (but which I can justify because of the beneficial effects of stress relief on my sanity), any more painting would likely result in unfavorable academic consequences. The cost of two caestus assault rams would have to be enough to pay back my student loans and to make up the difference in my salary from residency to retirement (the difference compared with whatever job I'm able to get after failing out of med school). In addition, I would require humiliation compensation for having to answer the question, "Krikeyyyyyy ... what happened? I heard you failed out ..." ad nauseum from family, friends, and gloaters.

So ... a few million USD might do it, but there are much better painters that can be hired for far less. Go with one of them, I say. thumbsup.gif

~K

So I've been sitting on these thoughts for a day so that I can be sure...

1. First off, your Caestus is a marvel. You were able to find so many ways to add ornamentation that I never thought of. I think you've got just the right amount of bling without making it look silly. Also, it looks like it belongs with the rest of your army, which I think is critical. There is nothing worse to me that seeing part of an army that looks one way and the other part another. So, a round of applause on maintaining such a high level of painting on all of your stuff. Your army is a true inspiration to me.

2. There is something that bugs me about the Big C and it's actually taken me awhile to figure out what that is. I bring this up now because I know you still have work to do and so consider the following just an observation...

The various treatments you have applied don't appear to be consistent to me. For example, you have weathered the nose of the ram to an extent, the wings seem to have less, but the body of the ram is very heavily chipped and discolored. When I was looking at your pictures over and over, it finally occurred to me, that the area that has the most weathering/damage, is the area that is recessed the most, if you take a horizontal plane and lay it on the tops of the assault ramps...and that seemed odd to me.

So I started trying to figure out, so how would that area get so weathered, but the wings and the "cockpit" would seem to get at least as much attention from flying debris as the top and sides of the troop area. I never did arrive at any type of "explanation" that satisfied my question.

Now I know you have more work to do on this bad boy before you're done, but when you get a chance, see if you get the same feeling as I do when you look at the various areas on the ram.

3. Could you send me a couple shots of Firepower Hate? I've got quite an interesting project at work coming up pretty soon. I have a feeling that it will come in very handy.

Each of your pieces is a work of art as far as I'm concerned.

Cheers,

I liked your comment, Honda. Yes, I still have quite a bit of work to do as far as battle damage goes, but I'll likely leave the rear considerably less damaged than the front. My rationale is this:

It's a ram, true, but if it was used in an assault, it had to be operable afterward because it's flying.

I imagine this thing, which is sort of like a two-headed brick with stubby little wings, flinging itself toward an enemy vessel at a good bit of speed. Just before it hits, the magna-melta fires, softening the target spot, so the caestus hits a molten-hot, somewhat softened mass of enemy ship. This causes damage along its length relative to how hard the caestus hits and how deep it penetrates. If the caestus is still in working order after the assault, it likely wouldn't penetrate far enough to cause wing, engine, or cockpit damage. It would have to hit hard enough to penetrate, though, and to evacuate its assaulting force. My assumption is that the most heavily armored part of the caestus is the ram, and that the wings, cockpit, and engines are relatively more fragile. Furthermore, the forward prow is augmented with field generators, but the rear of the caestus is not.

So ... if my caestus has sustained damage from a ramming attack but is still flyable, that damage must have been done more extensively to the forward section. Most of the damage even there is largely cosmetic, aside from a few scrapes along the most-armored portions of the prow, and the recessed areas have been hit with mostly heat damage and a few minor scratches along their length -- there's a lot of cosmetic damage, but no deeper scrapes as are on the heavily armored prow. Between the protection from impact provided by field generators and protection from heat damage provided by the ceramite plating, I figure that's a reasonable amount of damage to be sustained from an assault impact -- ceramite plating doesn't protect the paintjob. Any damage to the more-fragile wings, the cockpit, or the also-more-fragile engines would have to be repaired before the caestus was battle-ready again, but cosmetic damage to the forward sections could wait, assuming hull integrity has been maintained. (My guess is also that the magna-melta and frag assault launchers would have to be completely replaced after an impact, thus their relatively pristine state. I'm also guessing that assault ramps are replaced from a stock back on the carrier if they're damaged enough, but these have yet to reach that state of disrepair.

Anyway, that's my rationale for having the rear of the ship relatively unscathed. It's a bit too complex, but is what was in my head when I painted it, at least. mellow.png

However ... that doesn't mean it might not look better with something else done to the rear of the caestus. Maybe some panels that have been visibly repaired? Maybe a mismatched and/or unpainted section or two? I'll probably be adding some flak damage, at the very least. And I think you're right -- from flying debris if not impact, there should be at least some scrapes and other marks on the rear sections, especially on the rather exposed cockpit armor, and on the other surfaces that are angled forward, but also on the rear panels of the fuselage.

Yesterday (after I posted the pics), I added more heat damage to the more heavily armored prow sections (mostly some soot black and grey ash weathering powders) but have yet to brighten the exposed metal and add a bit of rust to the gouges and scrapes. I'll also be busting out one of the headlights (mostly because that sounds like fun and because it might be something the techmarines considered less important if the other forward lights were working).

~K

p.s. It actually just occurred to me that my frag launchers would be completely useless after a ramming attack -- they would be knocked off the prow as the caestus hits, possibly being sucked into a jet intake and blowing an engine or two.  Ah, well. Maybe these are the less expensive version used for battlefield transport?

~K

p.s. #2 Some of the damage on the top of the recessed area of the troop compartment is heat damage caused by molten crap that spattered backward and burned away some of the paint but not the ceramite beneath. It's most visible on the white-painted areas. I considered doing the same sort of thing to one of the crusade emblems on the side of the fuselage (one of the big plaid shields), but decided against it. The techmarines might not want to repaint the fuselage until after the current action, but I'm assuming they would want the crusade heraldry and transport emblems (the terminator badges) visible and in good repair.

But maybe not?

~K

All right.  Enough of this time-wasting. Back to the books.

Ok, I'd say that was a fairly reasonable and thought out explanation. I think I had a different concept of what the melta cannon might do  (not radically different, mind you) and I actually did not take into account the field generators, so my visualization is a bit off there. Also, in reading your description of what happens, I could see that taking place. Thank you.

Now, get back to your books so you can come back to your master piece. :)

Cheers,

Of course, now I'm wondering if the field generators might protect forward areas well enough to avoid most cosmetic damage, while the aft areas take the brunt of the cosmetic damage ...

Can't worry about it anymore ... Must ... stop ... the voices ...

~K

Archived