The Exeter Crusade (Foulest Heresy!) 1MAR2016

Krikey

The only suggestion I would make is to highlight the edges a bit more so it matches the work on your Achilles.

I'll do that, definitely. I started to once, but the handling while painting removed most of it, and the weathering process covered most of the remainder. I think once I'm to the "practically finished" stage, I'll break out the oils and give it the same effect. (Which means I need to do that to my first LRC also ... I changed highlighting techniques between the two models.) I'll try to add some visible bronze, as well, so they're more uniform. Thanks for comment -- that's something I could have easily overlooked.

~K

Here's my terminator chaplain, Master Vonbokk, who is attached to the terminator assault squad that rides the Caestus "Blitzschlag". He's in the early stages, but he looks different enough from when I first posted him that I thought he could use a web update. One obvious thing that needs fixing is the gorget. I'll be chiseling it out and replacing it with one that's smoothly detailed -- the way it is now is a rough mess. I also hate the eyes, so he'll either be glowless or get lenses installed. I'll probably go with terminator-style (Cameron terminator, not 40k terminator) lenses.

~K

gallery_60019_7476_143902.jpg

Well, if that's the Terminator Librarian model used as a base, it doesn't say much about the original model, but a lot more about the conversion because it looks nothing like it! Looking at everything's that been revamped, a regular terminator model would require only an equivalent amount of work to be converted into such coolness (probably easier in some ways).

True, but there is nothing more satisfying than cutting the head off a Librarian smile.png

Other than exterminating xenos psyker kittens of course msn-wink.gif

And this.

Ahhhh the satisfaction

I sense something is missing still... needs more black and white.

Yeah, the original conversion is on page 1 of this thread, I believe.

Ah, so it is... been so long since I last looked at it. And while at it that also cleared up what the original miniature was tongue.png

I'll be purging those unclean thoughts from your mind. pirate.gif

The way forward.

Friendship is magic, ladies and gentlemen.

What in the Holy throne is this abomination?

Also not to be a backseat Reclusiarch but you do realize you could of edited that... thing in without having to double post right?

Is that a chained Storm Bolter? And how do you get your black not to look two-dimensional and kind of bright?

Yes, it's a chained storm bolter.

It's not actually black. Well ... it's painted over black primer, but there's not much of the original black showing except in the deepest-set areas. It's several layers of diluted paint of various colors. Purples, blues, maroons, greens, and grays, mostly. Then it's glazed with a mix of black and brown Vallejo glazes. I still have a lot of work to do with it.

Without the glazes, the color scheme is a bit too close to the abominations you and tvih posted, and for which you should both proceed to Jasper for correction posthaste. I would have posted a before-glazing pic, but a Templar does not imagine or propagate such visions, and in the face of such impurity wipes it from existence with bolter and chainsword. (Or paintbrush.)

~K

• 1 month later...

RIght. Caestus. It's as done as it's going to get for now. I took the advice of Honda and Golf and added a little damage to the rear as well as brightening the highlights. For some reason the highlights aren't showing as strong as the did on the Achilles in the photos; I blame it on my new wanna-be-lightbox.

Oh, and I realized I need to do a couple of things to the base, which is not quite done. The rim of the base needs to be sanded and a coat of black paint applied, and the unclean graffiti on the pillar is just ugly. It's supposed to be ugly, but it should be an attractive ugly instead of the bleah it currently is. Oh, and I *hate* the clear plastic flight stand. I may try to figure something else out. (But not now.)

gallery_60019_7478_696894.jpg

gallery_60019_7478_587243.jpg

gallery_60019_7478_549463.jpg

gallery_60019_7478_1433495.jpg

gallery_60019_7478_1346196.jpg

gallery_60019_7478_953517.jpg

gallery_60019_7478_128444.jpg

gallery_60019_7478_887516.jpg

gallery_60019_7478_655483.jpg

gallery_60019_7478_203286.jpg

gallery_60019_7478_209713.jpg

gallery_60019_7478_99578.jpg

gallery_60019_7478_1362245.jpg

gallery_60019_7478_281596.jpg

gallery_60019_7478_1132535.jpg

gallery_60019_7478_1205233.jpg

~K

And the MoS is coming along. Still haven't finished the eyes. Going to have to hand-build some terminator-style lenses, I think. I just put the snow on the base, so there are still a few loose fragments I need to brush/pick away. Going to wash the bronze to make it more bronzey, as well ...

gallery_60019_7478_35030.jpg

gallery_60019_7478_273097.jpg

gallery_60019_7478_327473.jpg

gallery_60019_7478_35000.jpg

~K

Man, I think if you'd saved the caestus for the ETL you'd be guaranteed best looking model that thing just looks insanely good. With the power vested in me by the emperor I declare this a true piece of art to be gazed at in awe by all neophytes (and everyone else). I will never have such skill and you should prize that above all other models.

Just one more thing...

DON'T DROP IT, OH PLEASE GOD DON'T DROP IT!!! ;)

Man, I think if you'd saved the caestus for the ETL you'd be guaranteed best looking model that thing just looks insanely good. With the power vested in me by the emperor I declare this a true piece of art to be gazed at in awe by all neophytes (and everyone else). I will never have such skill and you should prize that above all other models.

Just one more thing...

DON'T DROP IT, OH PLEASE GOD DON'T DROP IT!!! msn-wink.gif

Thanks! And I did drop it day before yesterday, from a shelf (~1.5m) to the floor, which was luckily carpeted. The only thing that happened is that it loosened one of my makeshift assault launchers. The thing is built like a brick, and I have it well-pinned. Had it landed on a wooden or tile floor, though ...

~K

I don't like the black tabard.  Good old cream/white and red are very much needed for breaking up the black models.

That said, your crosshatching on the tabard certainly is a unique look, and the streaky highlights along the rest of the model are pretty sweet.  It does look like the sort of model that the naked eye would write off as a blackish blob without very up close inspection, but the camera fixes that for us interweb critics ;)

I don't like the black tabard. Good old cream/white and red are very much needed for breaking up the black models.

That said, your crosshatching on the tabard certainly is a unique look, and the streaky highlights along the rest of the model are pretty sweet. It does look like the sort of model that the naked eye would write off as a blackish blob without very up close inspection, but the camera fixes that for us interweb critics msn-wink.gif

Hrmmm ... you might be right at that. Though he doesn't look all that much more black than a non-tabarded model. It's like ... how much more black could this be? None. None more black. (By the dead guy on the throne, I need sleep ...) Anyway, I could change the templar cross on his tabard, making it much longer, so that it extends from neck to hem, with lower arm longest ... that might brighten it a bit.

My thought was that he's a chaplain: black, black, and more black, except for heraldry and other extraneous bits. But the thought of a black blob makes me a bit weepy.

~K

Archived