Blazing Sons (Again)

gallery_26631_1168_50539.gif

Blazing Sons

Outline:

Iron Hands successor,

Heavy Saxon/Northern European cultural influences from homeworld,

Homeworld is Firaxis, roots of chapters strong cultural influences: Small, cold, rocky planet. Pre- Great crusade world, rediscvoered then subsequently abandoned again during the Heresy.

Blazing Sons break from Iron Hands training cadre over fate of Firaxis and it's people; choosing to fight with them against present chaos insurgence instead of wiping them out as Iron Hands trainers advocated.

Liberation of Firaxis gives Blazing Sons loyal homeworld, heavily integrated with the chapter itself, chapter fortress becoming centerpiece for new capital. Chapter featuring very heavily in Firaxian society, becoming almost their exclusive reason for being.

Firaxian warriors serve as chapter serfs.

Breaking with their progenitor chapter and their liberation of Firaxis is a founding moment for the chapter, needs to be properly developed.

Chapter is grim and stoic as their blood and homeworld both form them to be.

Fight extended campaigns in support of Imperial forces, stretching themselves across entire sectors as warzones extend, often fighting with little supplies or reinforcements. Incur higher than average casualty rates as a result. Initiates are therefore more able to repair and maintain their equipment and vehicles than is normal.

Chapter's Companies are self reliant and are again stretched thin. Homeworld produces what arms it can and constantly produces recruits as it can, the tenth company becoming relegated to purely training and transport for neophytes, relying on the company they are transferred to for proper introduction to warfare. (too much?)

Blazing Sons are iconically bloodied, dirty, battered but eventually victorious.

Sons have a particular hate of ignorance, arrogance and wilfully idiotic officials who waste lives and resources. Have been known to forcefully remove such officers when given the opportunity. (Perhaps strong ties to Adeptus Arbites? I think perhaps it's too much, just an idea)

(Homeworld's Crusade era faith also clashes with mainstream Imperial Cult. Could be too much, holdover from last iteration).

gallery_26631_1168_3482.jpg

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Octavulg should be pleased.....

My reason for being a bit of a ghost of late has been moving from one area to another, getting engaged and trying to find a job in the area I've just moved to. Fingers crossed as to a positive resolution for all of those bloody things. Anyway, I digress, to the chapter.

My main area of difficulty is - as before - the break between the Blazing Sons and their Iron Hands training cadre, for it to be a believable split.

Any ideas as to that result would be very much appreciated!

Thoughts anyone?

Good to see you back Ydalir ;) I had wondered where you had gotten to and was told about your fluid housing situation. I hope that it all works out for you :)

Anyway, on to some C&C!

Homeworld is Firaxis, roots of chapters strong cultural influences: Small, cold, rocky planet. Pre- Great crusade world, rediscvoered then subsequently abandoned again during the Heresy.

Interesting choice of culture. Will be watching this develop with great interest.

Blazing Sons break from Iron Hands training cadre over fate of Firaxis and it's people; choosing to fight with them against present chaos insurgence instead of wiping them out as Iron Hands trainers advocated.

Liberation of Firaxis gives Blazing Sons loyal homeworld, heavily integrated with the chapter itself, chapter fortress becoming centerpiece for new capital. Chapter featuring very heavily in Firaxian society, becoming almost their exclusive reason for being.

Breaking with their progenitor chapter and their liberation of Firaxis is a founding moment for the chapter, needs to be properly developed.

Hum... So you need a good reason for them to break away... Maybe they were assissted by a regiment of IG and the commander, instead of letting the people be purged took his troops to the surface and tried to combat the Chaos threat (it's a regimental tradition to never give up whenever hope remains or something). The young recruits, easily impressed, followed suit and disobeyed their mentor's orders to purge the planet. This is the first of multiple cases where the youngsters disobey and it all escalates to the point where the Iron Hands depart. Sound good?

Fight extended campaigns in support of Imperial forces, stretching themselves across entire sectors as warzones extend, often fighting with little supplies or reinforcements. Incur higher than average casualty rates as a result. Initiates are therefore more able to repair and maintain their equipment and vehicles than is normal.

A bit like the Flesh Tearers then. I like it.

Chapter's Companies are self reliant and are again stretched thin. Homeworld produces what arms it can and constantly produces recruits as it can, the tenth company becoming relegated to purely training and transport for neophytes, relying on the company they are transferred to for proper introduction to warfare. (too much?)

Maybe have two Scout Companies then? Or a single larger-than-usual one?

Blazing Sons are iconically bloodied, dirty, battered but eventually victorious.

The Luna Wolf influence?

Sons have a particular hate of ignorance, arrogance and wilfully idiotic officials who waste lives and resources. Have been known to forcefully remove such officers when given the opportunity. (Perhaps strong ties to Adeptus Arbites? I think perhaps it's too much, just an idea)

I doubt Astartes would have close ties with Arbites, but it could be something you could dig into and develop further. Not common either.

(Homeworld's Crusade era faith also clashes with mainstream Imperial Cult. Could be too much, holdover from last iteration).

Would their faith be the one you developped earlier on for the Blazing Sons? With the cool Pre-Heresy banner and all?

I'm definitely going to be following this :)

Ludovic

Firstly Yladir, I'm glad your back on the boards and maybe this time, just maybe you'll get this finished(ish) :cuss

getting engaged and trying to find a job in the area I've just moved to. Fingers crossed as to a positive resolution for all of those bloody things. Anyway, I digress, to the chapter.

No matter how it turns out, it will never be a positive resolution :)

But anyway on topic....

Perhaps the Cadre was killed in the liberation. Giving the Chapter a chance to take it's own path? I can't really think of much else at the moment.

Still I'll be keeping an eye on this one.

First off, thanks for the quick replies! Now...

The Luna Wolf influence?

In a way, it's always been how I imagined the Blazing Sons to be and the Luna Wolves were very similar in that regard and the Heresy novels described it quite well.

Hum... So you need a good reason for them to break away... Maybe they were assissted by a regiment of IG and the commander, instead of letting the people be purged took his troops to the surface and tried to combat the Chaos threat (it's a regimental tradition to never give up whenever hope remains or something). The young recruits, easily impressed, followed suit and disobeyed their mentor's orders to purge the planet. This is the first of multiple cases where the youngsters disobey and it all escalates to the point where the Iron Hands depart. Sound good?

Perhaps, I never imagined the Imperial Guard being present but I suppose they could be. Maybe the regiment takes such heavy casualties that it is afterwards to be dispersed, and settle on the world they just liberated, bringing a lot of the Firaxian society into the Modern Imperium? I don't know.

Originally the Chapter observed the Firaxians fighting the gradually overwhelming hordes of chaos (Mainly nurgle and it's plague zombies, which I love as an enemy here) and decided to help them, rather than exterminating the entire world.

The world itself has regressed to medieval era technology and society for the most part and is simply defending itself from an exiled clan that turned to chaos to regain power, opening the gateway for nurgle to 'bless' them.

Iron Hands advocate extermination based on the small minority of the planet falling to chaos, a few key leaders amongst the Blazing Sons do not agree and rally the chapter around them to instead fight for the people on the planet rather than condemning them all to death.

It was a crisis of faith, that they could disagree so heavily with those that were supposed to be basically 'raising' them.

Maybe have two Scout Companies then? Or a single larger-than-usual one?

I was thinking a larger than normal one yes, just insofar that they have to see to their medical and psychological induction, initial training and equipping. They are then shipped off with a cadre of loyal Firaxian warriors who act as chapter serfs to whatever warzone any of the companies are engaged in.

I doubt Astartes would have close ties with Arbites, but it could be something you could dig into and develop further. Not common either.

I don't know, it was more of a random idea and I just threw it out there. I might save that for another chapter but I'm not sure it fits well with the Blazing Sons.

Would their faith be the one you developped earlier on for the Blazing Sons? With the cool Pre-Heresy banner and all?

Certainly is! That's the one I've kept in mind for them in any case. It was something I always liked a lot and will be keeping, just has to be integrated properly in a not-so-ham-fisted-manner as before.

Firstly Yladir, I'm glad your back on the boards and maybe this time, just maybe you'll get this finished(ish)

Wow it's been so long even my name has been misremembered. :D

Perhaps the Cadre was killed in the liberation. Giving the Chapter a chance to take it's own path? I can't really think of much else at the moment.

I can imagine the Iron Hands not wanting to sit out of a fight against chaos, but it's really the rebelling of the younger chapter against their 'father figures' or teachers that I wanted to bring across.

It's a hard one to pin down and that's what I'm working towards getting a good explanation of.

Wow it's been so long even my name has been misremembered.

Damn. My bad.

I can imagine the Iron Hands not wanting to sit out of a fight against chaos, but it's really the rebelling of the younger chapter against their 'father figures' or teachers that I wanted to bring across.

The problem is the Iron Hands. By their nature they are cold and calculating, and they despise all weakness. So at first, they would see your Chapter's need to save the planet's population as an emotional intervention - a weakness - but, you could then write it in such a way that after the victory the Sons put on such a show of strength and conviction in their beliefs that the Hands realise how strong the Chapter is and allow them to develop in such a way.

Firstly Yladir, I'm glad your back on the boards and maybe this time, just maybe you'll get this finished(ish) ;)

Optimism or desperation? You, the viewer, decide! ;)

Seriously though. Finish these guys then get back to the Bloodsworn. ;)

Wow it's been so long even my name has been misremembered.

Damn. My bad.

It's eleven pm and I have no right to be laughing this loudly at this time of night. :(

The problem is the Iron Hands. By their nature they are cold and calculating, and they despise all weakness. So at first, they would see your Chapter's need to save the planet's population as an emotional intervention - a weakness - but, you could then write it in such a way that after the victory the Sons put on such a show of strength and conviction in their beliefs that the Hands realise how strong the Chapter is and allow them to develop in such a way.

And finally, to get on topic ( :D ):

If you want to keep the not-so-cordial relations with the Iron Hands, you could have them refuse to see any kind of strength in allying with the weak, and officially disown the Chapter or something, severing all ties and so on.

If you want to keep the not-so-cordial relations with the Iron Hands, you could have them refuse to see any kind of strength in allying with the weak, and officially disown the Chapter or something, severing all ties and so on.

I really like this idea. It could lead to an interesting narrative for the Sons.

I really like this idea. It could lead to an interesting narrative for the Sons.

Same thoughts here. Good idea, Ace!

Ludovic

Same thoughts here. Good idea, Ace!

Ludovic

It's not the first time the Iron Hands have had issues with a successor - the Sons of Medusa being one, so entirely plausible to me too <_<

Perhaps the Blazing Sons and the Iron Hands come to words over what to do, the Iron Hands warn their younger Brothers that to help the natives repel the invasion, would incur significant casualties. The Blazing Sons ignore this "advice" feeling that ridding the Planet of the Chaotic incursion was more important (Kinda like - "The line must be drawn here, we will not allow this to go any further"). At the end of it, whilst the 'Sons do indeed suffer a significant amount of casualties, they decide that what they did was the right thing to do, realising that the natives weren't weak at all, that in fact they stood their ground and did their duty in the face of overwhelming odds.

So at first, they would see your Chapter's need to save the planet's population as an emotional intervention - a weakness - but, you could then write it in such a way that after the victory the Sons put on such a show of strength and conviction in their beliefs that the Hands realise how strong the Chapter is and allow them to develop in such a way.

Going with this sort of idea, you could say that's how the chapter got its name. Something relating to burning passion to protect the innocent, or something.

Thank you everyone, some things for me to get into!

Damn. My bad.

No worries! It amused me greatly, which is appreciation in itself! :)

Seriously though. Finish these guys then get back to the Bloodsworn.

I'm suprised anyone remembers them! I've even had trouble finding the topic here on the boards. Nice to see it's not faded out of existence just yet!

Perhaps the Blazing Sons and the Iron Hands come to words over what to do, the Iron Hands warn their younger Brothers that to help the natives repel the invasion, would incur significant casualties. The Blazing Sons ignore this "advice" feeling that ridding the Planet of the Chaotic incursion was more important (Kinda like - "The line must be drawn here, we will not allow this to go any further"). At the end of it, whilst the 'Sons do indeed suffer a significant amount of casualties, they decide that what they did was the right thing to do, realising that the natives weren't weak at all, that in fact they stood their ground and did their duty in the face of overwhelming odds.

This evolution of Ace's original idea is good and I think it can work quite well given the circumstances of the entire homeworld-issue. Thank you for that I'll take that and use it! Full credit to you guys for this, I was too focussed on the Sons side of the equation that I completely missed having it be as much a mutual issue as it was one for the Sons themselves.

As to the Iron Hands being cold and calculating, in the Heresy novels they are shown to have a bit more dimension. As such I'm trying to take some of their other aspects in hand for the Sons; determination, rage against injustice (Fulgrim getting away with striking down his brother beside his own personal guard, from the pretence of brotherly love is one hell of an injustice), and so on and so forth. I'm just not so crash hot on their machine fetish so I'm giving it a miss.

It's more about strength of spirit than the weakness of the flesh.

On that note, I am of two minds for the chapter spiritually. Either they take on their homeworlds views that have come from the just-pre-heresy Imperial Cult that sprang up, or they stick to their old world views taken from the Iron Hands as a First Founding Legion. Both have their ups and downs, I'm a bit concerned that following the cult of the homeworld will be too 'gimmicky' or simply too much in a chapter that's already breaking from the norm in other aspects.

Other than that there aren't many chapters that view the Emperor as more than a great man. I think if I remember rightly the Sons viewed him as both, that he could be a God AND a Man, that they weren't mutually exclusive, which might be a better compromise to take.

I also remember having a severe dislike for the ecclesiarchy in there somewhere but I might leave that where it was in the last iteration, it just seems like crowding in more and more elements of their character to how they are different is overcrowding their personality as a whole. I want to keep them simple, because they aren't meant to be a complicated chapter.

Its awesome to see these guys around again. I've always had a soft spot for the Blazing Sons ever since I painted up Captain Coenwahl for the AoD challenge and then he promptly trounced my own entry. Bit overwhelmed with other things now but will get a thorough post etc up later.

And WOOOO!!!!! I've been quoted in someones signature!!!!!!!!!

Thank you for that I'll take that and use it!

No problem mate. Us Iron Hands Successors should stick together :P

As to the Iron Hands being cold and calculating, in the Heresy novels they are shown to have a bit more dimension. As such I'm trying to take some of their other aspects in hand for the Sons; determination, rage against injustice (Fulgrim getting away with striking down his brother beside his own personal guard, from the pretence of brotherly love is one hell of an injustice), and so on and so forth. I'm just not so crash hot on their machine fetish so I'm giving it a miss.

Over the last few months, I've gotten a greater appreciation for the Sons of Ferrus, but a sticking point for me was to try to stay true to their ideals, but not end up as a carbon copy of them - there would be no point. In my case, I took the "flesh is weak" theme and turned it down somewhat. My DIY still have a thing for bionics, not because the flesh is weak, but because of the way they fight and that injuries are inevitable. I'm also trying to work in something that makes the bionic fetish (for want of a better term) as being a means to an end, but not the "end" itself. I'm not sure if you've seen the topic in the Index Astartes New Revelations about the Iron Hands, but it might also help :P

It's more about strength of spirit than the weakness of the flesh.

This quote is definitely something you should expand upon GHY, as should the point you made about their rage against injustice, as it definitely is a good angle.

GHY! If you don't finish it this time, I shall visit violence upon your head.

Iron Hands successor,

Alright if you like that sort of thing.

OK, though keep it distinct from the Space Wolves. How has this affected the chapter beyond names?

...Don't call it Firaxis.

Doesn't feel like it fits with the rest somehow.

I'd lean away from this. The Ministorum do love their preaching. Depends on how the world rejoined the Imperium.

Any ideas as to that result would be very much appreciated!

The question is not why the Iron Hands want to kill everyone, but why the Blazing Sons do not.

So...why don't they want to kill everyone?

I'm suprised anyone remembers them! I've even had trouble finding the topic here on the boards. Nice to see it's not faded out of existence just yet!

The Bloodsworn are an awesome idea, I don't know what else to tell you. :D

I'd C&C more stuff about the Blazing Sons, except you haven't updated 'em yet. :P

Bloodsworn

You just click your own name > find topics.

Sorry for the lack of work. I've been up in sydney for the last six days helping a relative move. I've had no availability for the net or anything else, not to mention 12 hour days non stop till this particular moment.

I am not pleased.

As such until I get home I won't be able to do much about this, though I do appreciate the comments from everyone and I think I'll take a moment to address them.

Particularly this one:

GHY! If you don't finish it this time, I shall visit violence upon your head.

Would it be appropriate to say that I expected as much? Yes, it would. I expected as much.

...Don't call it Firaxis.

Now you've said that before, however my issues with changing it are twofold. One, I am terrible with names and it's easier this way and two, I quite like it now.

I don't really want some nameless number, it must have a decent name.

Doesn't feel like it fits with the rest somehow.

I'll admit the Arbites bit is pushing it and it was just a random idea. I'll shelve that for another chapter.

I'd also add the fact that their hating ignorance and arrogance is a facet of the influence of their homeworld. Their homeworld follows the teachings of the Imperial Cult that sprang up right before the Heresy during the Great Crusade. It was a integral part of a lot of the characters in the Heresy novels and for the life of me I can't remember what it was called right now.

Anyway, the homeworld has essentially clung to this belief since it 'rediscovered' it a while after they were abandoned during the Heresy, after they had been exploited by a homegrown religion. They clung to it and when they were discovered and rescued from chaos by the Sons they in turn introduced the Sons to it. As such they see their own beliefs as 'true' since it's moderate in that it incorporates the Astartes belief that the Emperor was a great man only, but that he is also a god, rather than one or the other.

This is just their own view of things, as is their own view of what constitutes ignorance, though it would bleed over into more general issues other than religion I'd think.

And since I just answered two questions in one:

The question is not why the Iron Hands want to kill everyone, but why the Blazing Sons do not.

So...why don't they want to kill everyone?

That is..... actually a good question. My initial and continued thoughts on the matter are that it takes the form of a few 'enlightened' but also carismatic individuals within the young Sons to believe they know better than their teachers. Perhaps that get's more to the core of it. They believed they were right. Though probably horrific casualties and sights of chaos I'd say would have tempered their brashness by the end of it.

Don't forget to post the colour scheme GHY.

Ask and you will recieve! I'll Add it to the original post.

You just click your own name > find topics.

Also, I'm an idiot. Thanks Heru.

The Bloodsworn are an awesome idea, I don't know what else to tell you.

I'd C&C more stuff about the Blazing Sons, except you haven't updated 'em yet.

Ace you are an unquenchiable source of enthusiasm. I appreciate it and I also appreciate your opinion of the Bloodsworn! But I MUST keep my focus, one chapter at a time, especially when I still have the Corsairs Serpentis to finish and they were started before either the Sons or the Bloodsworn. Along with that idea for the Arbites to be seriously taking up more mental real estate than it needs to right now.

I blame being tired.

Thank you for the C&C and I should be back by, what, Sunday or Monday, maybe.

Emperor Help me.

Would it be appropriate to say that I expected as much? Yes, it would. I expected as much.

Good.

Now you've said that before, however my issues with changing it are twofold. One, I am terrible with names and it's easier this way and two, I quite like it now.

I don't really want some nameless number, it must have a decent name.

Then at least call it New Firaxis, which at least slightly diminishes the possibility of immediate association with the game company...

This is just their own view of things, as is their own view of what constitutes ignorance, though it would bleed over into more general issues other than religion I'd think.

I dunno. Ignorance and arrogance are half the fun of a Space Marine chapter. Take those away and what are you left with?

Besides, having your home world be the exceptional place in the Imperium that actually understands that a coffee maker isn't a sacred work of the divine is rather common these days. Buck the trend. ;)

That is..... actually a good question.

Which you have not really answered. :lol:

Charismatic individuals are so passe. :P And even then, that's not really my point - why would they disagree with the Iron Hands about destroying these people? The Iron Hands despise weakness, and have taught your boys - what did your guys seize on or come to believe that resulted in this differing outcome?

Having looked things over again...

I am concerned that you're going to be tripped up by what I am beginning to fear may have tripped you up in the past: I'm not sure you know what your chapter's like. You've got a firm grip on the home world, but the chapter seems to be basically defined by that. Additionally, as I look at it again, the defining traits of the chapter basically seem to be that they're overstretched, nicer than average, and despise the waste typical in the Imperium. This is both not the newest thing under the sun and not that much of a personality. Then again, I may be wrong.

So, two questions: what do you most want to accomplish with this IA? And ignore the home world for a while - what's the chapter like?

• 2 weeks later...
So, two questions: what do you most want to accomplish with this IA? And ignore the home world for a while - what's the chapter like?

I've taken a while to come back to this one as I've been trying to think of something succinct to say to sum them up. The best I can come up with is something I said earlier - that they are more about strength of spirit than weakness of flesh.

What do I want to accomplish with this IA? Finally have something suitable to be submitted to the Librarium here first off, but more specifically to the chapter I wanted to create a chapter that was an echo of the character of the older legions from the Great Crusade.

I'm not sure if that accurately answers exactly what you were looking for there, but that's the best I can give at the moment.

Alright, let's get started.

One step at a time. Starting, when were the Blazing Sons founded? Second or Third Founding places them in a good position to start taking back worlds lost during the Horus Heresy and, while under Chaos Occupation, not totally corrupt by the Ruinous Powers. Any later makes it harder to swallow a world stuck in the middle ages surviving against an extraterrestrial, interdimensional invasion force of seven foot six super soldiers and their snot green cohorts.

The biggest factor here is the technological level on Firaxis. You could always make them techno barbarians, just a thought.

All of them?

Putting two and two together, you can always make the appointed Chapter Master the first wasteful official. If he is appropriately stubborn, forcefully removing him shows the Chapter's character.

For the Tenth Company to be as large as you want it to be, Firaxis needs to be huge with a huge population, recruitment standards need to be changed or lowered (possibly taking in babies like the Red Scorpions?), or the Blazing Sons need more recruitment worlds.

I wanted to create a chapter that was an echo of the character of the older legions from the Great Crusade.

I remember the Luna Wolves were part of the inspiration, and you even mentioned them in this thread, however, I don't really see the relationship between this chapter and the legions. Aside from stretching themselves, they don't seem to crusade, and don't have the resources to crusade even if they wanted to. Stretching themselves thin only really works as a feasible option if they're working in concert with other Imperial organizations.

I know it's taking a step backwards, but if you really think about what this chapter should be (you know, besides from becoming a Liber Worthy Masterpiece), it will be much easier to flesh out you ideas.

You also haven't mentioned any kind of relationship with the Mechanicus. Although it may be a stereotype, I'm sure that most Iron Hands successors have some common ground with them.

The Chapter's Eight Pointed Sunburst also needs to be explained. The cult on the homeworld could serve as some kind of explanation.

What do I want to accomplish with this IA? Finally have something suitable to be submitted to the Librarium here first off, but more specifically to the chapter I wanted to create a chapter that was an echo of the character of the older legions from the Great Crusade.

Given that the legions' personalities were so diverse, I'm not really sure what character you mean. ^_^

I suppose what I'm getting at is a chapter that echoes what they percieve to be the older values.

I'm not sure what else to say, it's harder for me to put in to words what I imagine them to value as their core beliefs.

The rugged, pragmatic but unselfish view of unification and the onward and upward progression of mankind.

Perhaps I should make them a true crusading chapter in the Black Templars vein but I don't like the Templars for a lot of reasons, I'd prefer the Sons to have a different interpretation of their mission, their crusade.

I don't know, sometimes I feel I have a very clear image of these guys in my mind and then at other times I can't seem to pin them down. It changes day to day, though that may be more to do with my up and down moods these days.

I suppose I have more to think about and a lot more thought to put in to them in order to refine them.

I think sometimes I need to stick to my guns though and there are more than a few bits of the Sons that I have written up here and in previous iterations that I really like and don't want to get rid of in the endless drive for perfection.

Archived