How are sisters fairing in 6th?

Full_ork

We are doing very well. Very, very well.

Basically, what got buffed?

Everything.

what got nerfed?

Celestine (She can't chew through terminators any more).

Some of this will depend on how other armies start adapting to the new edition, but so far I have made very few changes.

Overwatch with flamers is FUN!

While there are plenty of people wiling to tell you that mech is dead in 6th, what hull points have changed the most are venerable dreadnoughts and heavy armor. Rhinos seldom survived more than a couple of hits anyway so their survivability has not changed much. The other issue with vehicles is the inability to assault on the turn you disembarked from your rhinos at all. It no longer matters if the tank moved, you can not assault. This will slow the Battle Conclave and the Repentia a little. Our troops will not be assaulting anyway so the over all effect changes in vehicles has made to our army is a resounding “meh.”

The biggest change to my army lists comes from Fortifications. It does not matter if you are targeting flyers or not, getting an Aegis line or a Bastion for the Retributors to park in is a buff. Take the quad gun for either one of those. Fortifications fit in perfectly with the Retributors role while giving them more punch and better defense.

The power weapon nerf also changed the Battle Conclave a little. They can’t eat terminators like they used to. However you can arm your Death Cult Assassins with 1 sword and 1 axe and pick the one you want to use for each fight. So, killing marines at I6 with swords or fighting TDA at I1 with axes. It means we will be taking more casualties now, BUT(!) since Feel No Pain now works even with power weapon wounds, they can better survive terminator attacks as well.

So, the biggest “nerf” we got was to Jacobus’ Battle Conclave since they have to disembark earlier (thus taking a round of shooting) and fight at Initiative 1 against terminators. And lets face it, that unit was Over The Top and really, it still is. In any other unit, you would be paying 10 points for each power weapon and the DCA have 2. They are still one of the deadliest units in the game at a very low cost.

In the end, the guys I had trouble against before still give me trouble. The new Necrons are giving me fits and Dark Eldar can push me hard. Orks are a lot of fun to play against (aren't they always?) and I love to chew up Draigowing just because they need someone who can. So ... we have not changed much as far as ability goes.

I am loving life write now. I'm going to be have WAY too much fun with my repentia in my next game. With Rage giving an extra attack and no longer being 'going to nearest enemy seen.... two squads of 10 repentia on the charge have almost 80 attacks! Thats just wrong on so many levels. Imperial guard are sooooo doomed vs Sisters now! MAWHAHAHAH!

I just played a 1500 pts team with Sisters and Necrons vs Orks. Alota orks. God I love flame throwers. I leveled alot of Orks when they tryed to charge my squads with that lovely Wall of Death. I would like to point out that Sisters of battle vs grechin in H2H was silly as hell. Str 3 vs Toughness 2. Good stuff. I just wish St Celestine wasn't insta-killable

No, if anything the Sisters have gained a lot from it. There's been a lot of bolstering for shooting armies, like being able to still shoot once out to 24" with bolters, Overwatch, and some measure of guarantee that we get one good shooting phase at mechanized assault troops. Wall of Death was an amazing addition given the Sisters' love of flamers, and even the Rage changes will be quite a bonus for Repentia and Penitent Engines. At least now we can tell them where to go, even if they are still rather squishy. FNP changes are a mixed bag though. The save is worse, so it's easier to wipe out Repentia or Conclaves with concentrated shooting, but now it's only ignored by ID hits, so once they get into close combat they can use FNP even against power weapons as long as they aren't S6. There's also the Fearless change, which is also a benefit to Repentia, as well Celestians to a lesser degree.

They're not huge changes, but it does help their viability a bit. I still think Celestians need to be better somehow, but ultimately it seems like the majority of the changes simply brought units on the extreme ends closer to a balanced state, rather than anything getting nerfed into the ground or buffed through the roof.

No huge changes in Sisters meta, but sometimes I wonder if that's because the changes weren't huge or because we just don't have many options to change the meta with.

I think Celestine got a big buff. She is good for killign lots of characters many of them will be goign after her and she can call a challenge on the assault often strikign first. Furthermore, I think that with the way special rules are written she can finally hang with Seraphim and they can be awesome. They will be able to Hit and Run on her I of 7 and they will also be Fearless. Joined characters can now benefir from several special rules that their units have and they further benefit fromt heir better stats.

I think Celestine got a big buff. She is good for killign lots of characters many of them will be goign after her and she can call a challenge on the assault often strikign first. Furthermore, I think that with the way special rules are written she can finally hang with Seraphim and they can be awesome. They will be able to Hit and Run on her I of 7 and they will also be Fearless. Joined characters can now benefir from several special rules that their units have and they further benefit fromt heir better stats.

And Fearless no longer causes extra wounds. Ooh, and with the new shooting rules Celestine can go in front and tank for the Seraphim, and the Seraphim act of faith makes her ranged attack effectively twin-linked. Celestine attached to Seraphim might make a really nice assault unit now.

{snip} and the Seraphim act of faith makes her ranged attack effectively twin-linked. Celestine attached to Seraphim might make a really nice assault unit now.

Yes, they do. Also, when you have Saint Celestine with your Seraphim they have an 89% chance of passing the faith test. If they have taken casualties, it goes up to 97%. If I only have 1 point of faith for a turn you can bet it will be spent on the Seraphim. Not only do they have one of the better Acts of Faith, they are very reliable about making their test.

Oh, yes. Watching your opponent's face when you count five and seven targets, then pick up twenty four dice is just priceless.

It's just a shame that they're only S3 AP6.

Why would you pick up 24 dice? hand flamers let you fire twice each?

They're pistols. Seraphim can shoot both pistols in the same shooting phase.

So one sister gets 2x5 hits and the other 2x7 hits.

The pistols count as twin linked. you don't get an extra attack, you just get to reoll misses but count as two close combat weapons for H2H giving an extra attack there but not in shooting phase

The pistols count as twin linked. you don't get an extra attack, you just get to reoll misses but count as two close combat weapons for H2H giving an extra attack there but not in shooting phase

That was the old Seraphim pistol rules from the old Codex. The new one says you just shoot both. Pretty much all 6th edition is going to go that route now thanks to the Gunslinger rule.

I had that same conversation with the guy I was playing last night. "Seraphim Pistols" means you can shoot both, then their Act of Faith means they reroll to wound (which is the same as twin-linked on template weapons).

Say, does anyone know if Celestine can benefit from Angelic Visage now? Rerolling the Armour of St Katherine's invulnerable save would sure help.

I had that same conversation with the guy I was playing last night. "Seraphim Pistols" means you can shoot both, then their Act of Faith means they reroll to wound (which is the same as twin-linked on template weapons).

Say, does anyone know if Celestine can benefit from Angelic Visage now? Rerolling the Armour of St Katherine's invulnerable save would sure help.

I would say not since that is not an Act of Faith and you specifically may not use a unit's special rules unless the BRB says so like in the case of Hit and Run. In any case the Armor of Saint Katherine does not give a Shield of Faith invulnerable save which the Angelic Visage specifically gives a re-roll to.

• 4 weeks later...
Since I started playing sisters I ran the St with the seraphim, it just made since. And from time to time if I was about to flamer an enemy's unit I would jump the St out of them to get more troops under template at a different angle. It was a nasty surprise done to a bunch of Reavers jet bikes but it worked.

• 2 weeks later...

Just played a tourny at my local store.

Round One: Sisters vs Blood Angels = Tie. Nearly tabled the Blood Angels. Only two models on table at end of game (Turn 5 game ended due to time limit)

Round Two: Sisters vs Orks w/ Choas = Massacre. Orks over ran sisters

Round Three: Sisters vs Salamanders = Minor Victory. Got first blood, and line breaker. (Game ended on turn 4 due to time limit)

Sisters doing well in 6th. Local store is looking at doing a 2500pts tourny. time to bust out the Repentia. I havn't fielded them in a LONG time.

No but you can reroll inv from shield of faith (6+). But it`s pointless :)

• 4 weeks later...

Thus far I'm liking the changes, but haven't put my sisters on the field yet. However, my unorthodox build seems to have been much improved when looking at the rules, and based on my experiences with Marines and Guard.

My large foot horde(s) with Repentia support just got a lot better thanks to the changes to the Rapid Fire and Rage rules as well as the addition of Overwatch for the former; so did my mechanised attack wing of Dominions (I very between Rhinos and Immolators) and Penitent Engines (if my opponents allow it, this is buffed with Sister squads in Repressors) for similar reasons, though they have seen less of an improvement. The support wing of Seraphim + Celestine is amazing, and Retributors got some nice buffs too, particularly with Fortifications. What is actually in the force varies considerably based on points-levels, and I wanted to keep the Mechanisation to a minimum as it is themed as an urban-warfare force, but foot-Sisters seem to work well enough now (and are lethal on a full-on city board).

Archived