Flesh Eaters

Snejk

So, back in the olden days when i began playing Rouge Trader i could never decide which chapter to play so i think i painted just about every chapter in the book except for the Rainbow Warriors, but I always liked the Flesh Eaters chapter badge. And now that I have collected a bunch of Alpha legion dudes i think it is time to return to the Emperors grace and start a Flesh Eaters army.

The question is where to begin? i don't have the BA codex so I don't know much about the Blood Angels except that they prefer assault troops and have some nifty fast rhinos.

So, where should I begin? What would be my first choice for these blood crazed borderline psychotic cannibals? A couple of assault squads with jump packs and a sanguinary priest? Or something completely diffrent?

First off welcome to the Blood Angels. As far as info on the Flesh Eaters goes, some of the info is on the Lexicanum website. But the info is limited. GW never really gave alot of info for them except they are a 3rd founding SM chapter that will eat the dead of both the enemy, and there own in ritulistic feasts. I myself are in the works to making a Flesh Eaters army. After i finish up my Blood Dragons.

You might wanna check out Midnight Runner, and Chaplian Hiltraud's Flesh Eaters ... These two are the RT version, and Desmodus versions. Not to confuse but Desmodus's version is the newer style color with black, and red. Hope that helps.

Nice, i remember looking at Hiltraud's minis. They were very impressive. I think this is going to be a very fun little project.

But what are the strengths and weaknesses of the BA? Someone told me that Red Thirst isn't really any weakness in the game but just another bonus to make your dudes even better att CC.

Ups and downs. It swaps out ATSKNF for Furious Charge and fearless on a roll of a 1, and you roll for each unit at the start of the game. Means that the units will never run, but equally it means you can't fall back from something you can't hurt (i.e. if you get caught in combat with an Ironclad dread or some such). With No Retreat saves gone, its definitely more of a positive than a negative...the only downside is a very rare corner case, since we can -technically- damage regular dreads in combat anyway with Krak grenades, so as such we'll rarely be allowed to fall back due to "our weapons are useless".

Also, (shameless plug) check out the 10 game challenge thread I've got going going... I'm deliberately trying to use as many different units as possible, and there's enough games in it by now (game 8 is going up later this evening) that you'll be able to get a feel for what works and what doesn't. Short summary: jump assault squads are boss, rhino assault squads are not. Death Company can work, but for the love of the Emperor don't put them in a non-assault vehicle transport. Baal predators are amazing. Bikes are good but only in numbers; priests are helpful for FnP bubble but less so since we lost the I bump on furious charge. 1 is good, 2 is probably ok, but any more and you're pushing it. Best starting point: assault squad or two, a priest, and an HQ choice. Brownie points if you pick Seth.

Red thirst gives them fearless, and furious charge. So with furious charge in 5th used to give you a bonus to inititive, and strengh, now it just give bonus to strengh, and fearless. Our Death Co. are still awesome as ever. and with the ability to feild Sanguinary priest with our assault squads makes them with feel no pain special rule if within 6 inches of Grail. With the first codex with a flyer we do have alot of good stuff. Our weakness is against other MEQ we even out, and we are superb at anti horde. With our fast tanks we can keep up to Eldar, and Deldar units.

^ Saw that Chaplain Admetus covered most of the stuff I wrote.

I have a Land raider that i'm repainting. Currently it's just Kho.. I mean Blood red. I was going to use it to get my Berserkers into CC as fast as possible, but now I'm thinking of making it my generic transport for dudes in red power armor. I think the old skool Flesh Eaters badge could work as a chaos badge as well, and from the little fluff I have read so far the FE seems to bordering on being declared heretics anyway so that kinda suits me fine.

I think my HQ will be named Melchior the Face Eater or some such. I've never been to fond of special characters. I never understood why say a Chapter master would engage in some lowly skirmish on a planet named bad landing in order to subdue some filthy xenos swine or a rebellious planetary governor. Unless of course he's really bored.

Ohh well, i think i'll just go and by myself a Blood Angels Battle Force, some extra batwings and jump packs and plenty of red paint.

I think it would be easy to paint on Flesh Eaters icons and later claim they "fell to chaos" or even that it was very recently taken as the spoils of war.

Really tough sell though to do that the other way around, no way would a loyal Astartes be having anything to do with a Chaos marked vehicle. :D

As to "eating the flesh" part of the lore, I think one could argue that since Marines can gain knowledge from eating flesh this could help justify that act as being "non-Chaosy" but also an easy way to justify if you did want them to fall.

Also, isn't Gabriel Seth (Chapter Master of the Flesh Tearers) supposed to be pretty good now?

I could see bringing him over as a very cool Flesh Eaters character and maybe provide some good times on the table.

If you're just starting out I'd buy the regular vanilla marine battle force and a DC box. If you can afford it then a Sang Guard box too for bling, and tons of extra bits.

Aim to build a libby, 2x priests, a tactical squad, and 2x assault squads with your early purchases. These should give you a solid back bone with in my opinion little wastage. After that consider your motor pool. Don't forget to magnetize the jump packs!

Good luck.

If you're just starting out I'd buy the regular vanilla marine battle force and a DC box. If you can afford it then a Sang Guard box too for bling, and tons of extra bits.

Aim to build a libby, 2x priests, a tactical squad, and 2x assault squads with your early purchases. These should give you a solid back bone with in my opinion little wastage. After that consider your motor pool. Don't forget to magnetize the jump packs!

Good luck.

Oh well, I just got the Blood Angels box. I have some spare bits here and there from an old assault pack, some vanilla tac marines and tons of CSM bits, so i think i can kit bash some.

Magnets on jumppacks, check!

I was aiming for a tac squad in a rhino and two assault squads. Both with jump packs.

On my CSM tacticals i usually go with two melta guns, but i noticed that I don't seem to be able to do that on a tac squad. I so now i'm leaning towards a Plasma Gun and a Plasma canon. Just because they can blow up in my face...

On the assaulters i'm thinking of two flamers in each squad, just for that crowd control. And it's a good way to start the post victory barbeque... Having the meat well done.

Later on i'm thinking of going for one or two six man Devastator squads with Razorbacks. I feel that the razorbacks could give much needed fire support.

Oh well... I'm off to the paint station.

• 3 months later...

Soo... I have made some progress on my first Flesh Eaters Assault Squad.

The paintjob isn't the best but I aim to get a decent table top quality at least.

There's still a lot of details to finish and the jump packs are still to be assembled, painted and attached.

I mixed parts of the DC kit and some Assault bits from the starter box.

In the background you can see my re-painted LR. It used to belong to my Alpha Legion army but got commandered to this new, slow, slow project.

I have trouble getting the right pale blue face to the guys without a helmet and don't really know how to get a good glowing effect on the eye lenses. I'd like some light to hit the helmets as well and reflect off them. To get a gloomy effect.

So, when this little squad is done i'll start on my first five man tactical squad and after that i'll see if i can't build a decent HQ guy from some Sanguinary Guard guys that I bought the other day.

But deep striking a land raider? That just feels so wrong...

Comments and such are appreciated.

gallery_60645_7554_380253.jpg

gallery_60645_7554_314971.jpg

gallery_60645_7554_820959.jpg

they are looking really good. I like how you went with the RT version of the FE's. Did you get around to seeing Midnight Runner's Flesh Eater IA?

Yes, I have seen some of his work, but not the IA article. Will have to look into it.

I went with a RT inspired look since FE was one of my favourite chapters back in the day. And the chapter badge looks disturbingly much like some variant of the Worl Eaters badge...

I'm almost finished with my first assault squad and began looking for the next mini to build. I need some sort of HQ and have come this far with what could be a captain or perhaps a chaplain.

The legs are standard tacticals, the torso is from the sanguinary guard box and the head is from a box of Warriors of Chaos (WHFB).

Looking in my bits box i see some terminator power axes, a lightning claw, thunder hammers, shields, various bolters, power fists, swords, a bunch of CCWs, grenades, pistol holsters, but i can't decide on what to equip him with.

Any ideas wouldbe very appreciated. As it is now i'm leaning toward a power axe and a storm shield, and perhaps just run him like a sergeant or such. But that would be a bit of a waste on the torso...

gallery_60645_7554_381766.jpg

give him a combi-melta, and pointy non power fist, and consider him a death co version of tycho.

Hmm. Not a bad idea at all. First however i read non pointy power fist and added a fist from the DC box. Which made him look very silly. So i modified a power sword arm, added a WHFB glove and a ripped off head from some unknown xenos filth (WHFB Ghoul) hanging from an improviced meat hook made from a piece of bent steel bar.

I guess he could be painted as a DC Thyco, but i don't know he seems like such a whimp in the fluff ("buuhuu my face got ruined... buuhuu..")

Now he just needs a knifeof such which was used to cut the head off.

With the silly looking power fist:

gallery_60645_7554_312476.jpg

The new look:

gallery_60645_7554_129417.jpg

And here is a bad pic of his combi-melta made from a CSM belt fed bolter and a melta pistol:

gallery_60645_7554_323695.jpg

The Tycho conversion looks bad ass. I like the severed ghoul head, makes for a nice trophy head to storm around with. Are you going to "purify the bolter? All those pointy chaosy arrows makes my bolter finger twitch. I like this tycho better than the "pretty boy" version GW made. Tycho shoulda had a helmet in the first place then that wierd boy couldn't have zapped his face.

The Tycho conversion looks bad ass. I like the severed ghoul head, makes for a nice trophy head to storm around with. Are you going to "purify the bolter? All those pointy chaosy arrows makes my bolter finger twitch. I like this tycho better than the "pretty boy" version GW made. Tycho shoulda had a helmet in the first place then that wierd boy couldn't have zapped his face.

Yes, the arrows will come off and i'll add a couple of purity seals just in case.

And yes, he should have worn his helmet. There are way to many Marines out there not wearing their helmets in combat just asking for a bullet to the face.

I think all add a knife or so also to the mini just to gear him up a bit.

My DC Tycho is slowly coming about. Here is the progress so far:

gallery_60645_7554_354278.jpg

I'm having a hard time to decide about my future DC though, i'm aiming to have 10-12 DC dudes, but can't make up my mind if they'll go all shooty or if i should add 3-4 power weapons and a thunderhammer. Their WS 5, Rage etc says "get them into CC", but since 6th edition seems to favour shooting i just don't know.

And I also have difficulty deciding on how to deliver them. Drop Pod, Land Raider, Stormraven or just footslog them across the board shooting everything they see..?

Or perhaps just 5 CC + Tycho in a Razorback with assault cannons?

I'm having a hard time to decide about my future DC though, i'm aiming to have 10-12 DC dudes, but can't make up my mind if they'll go all shooty or if i should add 3-4 power weapons and a thunderhammer. Their WS 5, Rage etc says "get them into CC", but since 6th edition seems to favour shooting i just don't know.

Shooty Death Company!!!??? :eek

*Dials the number of the local resident Inquisitor*

- EgoDraconumNigrorum

Shooty Death Company!!!??? :blink:

- EgoDraconumNigrorum

Thank you for adjusting my thoughts on this matter.

CC it is.

Shooty Death Company!!!??? :blink:

- EgoDraconumNigrorum

Thank you for adjusting my thoughts on this matter.

CC it is.

Lol no problem mate.

- EgoDraconumNigrorum

Archived