The Apocalypse Crusade

tvih

So do I... apparently doesn't stop me from buying more though :dry.:

Finally done with the first Centurion's pre-painting work other than magnetizing the weapon options. Probably only going to bother with the grav cannons and lascannons. Custodians will be better for the assault centurion role I reckon (not to mention assault centurion drills look utterly terrible), and heavy bolter centurions are sadly kinda piddly.

Alas, reposing would be way too much work. Krikey even did a tutorial of it in this BT subforum. I think I'll just make do with the static pose, the dread leg was tricky enough :P

Oh, one last thing to do in the pre-paint prep - for the first time trying to use a brass etch part. Now, I've had brass etch parts for 1:35 WW2 military models for a long time, but those models have been sitting unbuilt for years and years, so I never actually used a brass etch before. Man, bending this to match the shoulder is a pain, I imagine it'll be even more of a pain on a power armor or terminator shoulder!

Yeah I remember that from back in the day... but sadly it too goes to the "too much work" category :tongue.: As long as the tassets are ditched the basic proportions are fine as they are I think.

The problem I'm facing now is getting the brass properly "flattened" to the pad and more importantly the magnetization, there isn't one flat enough surface to put a 2mm magnet on in the join of the arm and the weapons, as it is a "multisurface" join. Annoying! I'm not sure if I'm gonna even bother with the cabling, as it specific to the weapon loadout and not really needed for the model to look OK.

Edited by tvih

Not sure if this is helpful, but after much trial and many errors, I found the best approach for brass etched crosses is to "overbend" them, superglue the middle and squash the centre into place so that it flattens to match the curves.  THe biggest pain is preparing the star points to clip off neatly and/or file to the correct angle - still working on that.  :sad.:  

This one's a CF/IF chapter badge on a cross thingamabob. I did the overbending thing, but even so it's hard to accomplish especially as it needs to bend both horizontally and vertically. The round ones are also sure to be a challenge to put into PA/termie pads... ugh!

I haven't played with brass, but I would be tempted to take an extra pad and shave the rim off then take a second pad and use a pair of needle nose pliers to crimp the brass between the two pads to give it the proper curve.

Hmmm, worth a try I suppose!

My first table-ready (as in painted) drop pod!

med_gallery_68041_14949_38165.jpg

I've been contemplating drop pod lists for a long time, but with the effort it takes to paint these things up as well as the pain the in butt it is to transport them given the space they take up, seems unlikely. Spent all night on the highlights.

Edited by tvih

I suck at drybrushing, I never get the results I want so I've mostly just given up on it. Plus, changing the way I paint my BT vehicles at this point would be annoying as then the new style would stand out so much :tongue.:

Anyways, another night, another model. Highlighted Mk IV Ironclad Brecher for your viewing displeasure:

med_gallery_68041_14949_19582.jpg

Edited by tvih

The updates keep on rolling. The pace of your progress is astonishing. The Spartan looks top-notch, black suits it really well.

May I ask you how wider is the "hull" of a Spartan when compared to a regular Land Raider (and specifically the central part, between the tracks). I would benefit from this info for my current project. I'd assume that it's around 1 cm, but you never know.

Good news is I found my airbrush and basecoated the CF Razorback with it, good results. Maybe because of the thinning medium or whatever, the result is a slightly lighter shade than when brushing. It's actually nice because of the increased detail visibility - downside is that now it's a bit of a bummer that my existing CF infantry isn't done with this this shade (and "upgrading" to it would mean re-painting the details and highlights which is in no way an enticing prospect). It's still much darker than brushed Kantor Blue, the latter being too light for my tastes.

But using the brush makes me wonder about trying to do highlights with it rather than the brush. Downside would be that it'll look very different from my existing vehicles even if I manage to do it - and being an airbrush noob that's in no way certain. Could just end up ruining the basecoat :tongue.:

Oh, and another good piece of news is that my new matte varnish spray is indeed so matte that it's impossible to even tell if it is on the model or not! Very nice indeed.

Edited by tvih

Maston Color Matt Varnish. Probably not available outside Finland. The previous one I had was Maston's as well, but with a crappy nozzle and it was indeed much glossier.

Oh... and one other problem with highlighting with the airbrush. My air compressor is kinda noisy, I'd probably get evicted if I used it long enough to highlight anything. Haha. Can't afford a more quiet in the near future.

Good grief... airbrushing really seems expensive. I'm mostly done with my Imperial Fists Vindicator. And I've spent like 10€ worth of paint+thinner on the damn thing, and the siege shield + Rhino bits (the doors, hull front etc) still aren't even in their final color of Golden Yellow, and I don't think what I have left of it will be enough! Gotta use more water for thinning I guess, even though I already used it alongside the Vallejo Thinner.

Yeez. Seems like I won't be painting all that many IF vehicles after all :P Didn't use that much paint to basecoat the CF Rhino I think, but this IF Vindi certainly got rather excessive with two paint pots and one thinner pot expended.

I was hoping to have the rest of done today, but looks like it was not to be. Airbrush kept clogging up - annoyingly the part behind the nozzle that I can't think of a way to remove for cleaning so it's a pain in the ass - and now I think the threads on the nozzle broke because it won't stay on :censored:

Technically the model is in playable condition minus the siege shield.