The Apocalypse Crusade

tvih

Well, I spent about 25 minutes on just the damned aquila, talk about fast!

I do need to drill the barrels - this stands true for all of my previously made models as well - but alas I've yet to buy such a hand drill that would make doing that feasible rather than ending up ruining the weapon(s) :tongue.:

Way behind my new schedule, as usual. While at it I seem to have run into a minor color scheme "crisis" again as well. I keep thinking of my power-armored sword brethren, and then the terminator ones. I really like the black non-rimmed shoulder pads on the latter. Somehow I don't like the red rims on the former that much, even with read being the color of Zeal and all. Here's a picture of sword brother Rathgor, one shoulder trimmed red and the other kept black for the time being.

http://www.tvih.net/stuff/wh40k/etl2014/etl2014-rathgor1.jpg

There's just something bothering me with the red trim, can't seem to put my finger on it. Yet having the trim black when the main pad itself is black doesn't seem right either. I thought of metallics, but I think I'll save it for HQ characters as not to look too much like a different chapter (like silvery -> Iron Hands). But in general not having the red trims seems a bit counter-fluffy too! Bah. I also contemplated having the regular black&white pads, but unless my new white spray (as compared to the 100% useless GW white spray) makes them a lot easier to do, it's unlikely I'll go that route.

I had this same issue, so it's not just you. Part of what may be causing your unease is the fact that your power coils are also red. If you end up lightening them with yellow/orange, I suspect that some of the conflict will ease.

ONWARDS!

Red trim looks fine, and I am using it on my PA Sword Brethren.  I didn't use it on my TDA Brethren, though.  Mainly because most of the TDA pads don't actually have a trim to speak of.

One issue you may be having with that guy is the generous amount of red already visible.  i find red best used to the max or the minimum.  When it get's between that 33-66% range, it doesn't have the same pop, and it muddles out the other colors.  If his second pad's trim was also red, that would be quite a bit.  Or it could be that you simply aren't used to Templars with red trim.  I know after painting 30+ Templars without it, I found myself uncomfortable with changing things up :lol:

The trouble with the black trim is that the model won't stand out at all.  The red is there to make the important guys go 'pop' among a see of black and white.

So I guess maybe you could try gold trim, and make the designs on the shoulder's field as red as possible with as few metallics as possible (like changing the crux to red and skulls to bone), so you don't end up muting out the 'pop' of the gold.

Well, as mentioned I'm hoping to save metallic trims for the HQs. Also it's not just the potential excess of red on this char, as I've had the same thought with my earlier models too - I think I have 10 power-armored models with red trims so far, none of whom have red in their weapons. Red for this particular model is also likely to get lessened if I can manage to come up with a reasonable-looking blue plasma coil scheme tomorrow.

While at it, here's a less red example as provided by sword brother Stefanos:

http://www.tvih.net/stuff/wh40k/etl2014/etl2014-stefanos1.jpg

I personally prefer then red trim, and it is definitely a bit jarring when you are used to painting and seeing the traditional scheme but when looked at next to the other guys it does make them pop. That said if you don't like it, then that's how you feel. One option is to leave the one pad black and the other red. It is different and gives character.

One option is to leave the one pad black and the other red. It is different and gives character.

This is actually what I was thinking of yesterday evening - leaving the "crux" pad black but the other red. After all I can always add the red trim later if I decide I want it after all. Makes more sense that way rathan than doing it now and then covering it up later if I don't want to keep it.

The Crusade's Armory has been busy today.

http://www.tvih.net/stuff/wh40k/etl2014/etl2014-combiweapons.jpg

I guess I could go with the blue-white coils as standard from now on, but will see if I'll re-paint the couple that are already red. The paint might end up too thick if simply painting on top, and I don't like stripping paint (don't even have the stuff to do it right now).

On a side note it's really nice finally getting some paint on these.... tactical sword brethren, after all they've been waiting close to year now without even getting to see any use, never mind paint. Will be nice to get some paint the metal ones too, even if they'll be CF Sternguard (and even have been used as such on several occasions after I got them almost two years ago). Though painting metal is such a pain compared to plastic or resin. It's a shame they're not resin, as that'd make it feasible to convert them to having combis when needed. But given I only paid like 13,5€ or so for them, I can forgive them for being metal :P But at least I can make them some plastic buddies from the leftover sternguard bits (chest, shoulder pads and whatnot).

White pad with red trim = assault initiate, black pad with red trim = sword brother. Personally I never did the white+red thing with my 5 painted assault initiates.

Also, I finally got the physical 7th Edition rulebook with Stormclaw, hopefully come August I can go find some games to play as well.

Oh, and a bit bummed that I was too busy saving up for my move during spring, and didn't end up buying the missing radar dish thingie for my Whirlwind for cheap... now the only one available is costing a whole bunch. Might have to scratch-build something instead.

EDIT: My Anvil Industry cloaks also arrived today! Good to give 'em tactical sword brethren some too. I guess that just leaves the potential vanguard vets without cloaks! But then they don't have tabards either. Which goes right back to my usual problem in modeling them, haha. Silly OCD.

Edited by tvih

On the upside, my "missing" models should be here on Sunday. On the downside, I really haven't been making much progress. Real life's been a bit too grimdark, so it's been hard to find the energy and focus to paint things.

On the red trim, I found I liked it a bit better when i hit up the edges with a bit of orange highlight.   Of course the original reason I chose to do red trim, was because I couldn't be bothering painting white on everything (I was a significantly poorer painter when i started).  So my advice might not be the best :).

Trying to make progress, but it's painstaking... below some WIP from the CF Sternguard. I finally bit the bullet and "ruined" the nice and black basecoat on the power-fisted sergeant :tongue.: So sad! Anyway, I like very dark blue base for my CF, but I'm not sure which of the two models' colors I prefer.

http://www.tvih.net/stuff/wh40k/etl2014/etl2014-cf-paintscheme0.jpg

The difference being that the model on the left has been washed with Guilliman Blue, while the on the right hasn't been. Obviously the unwashed model has far stronger highlighting. Problem is I'm not sure which look to go for. Don't get me wrong, I think strong highlighting can look good, but personally I prefer subtle, or if the model has plenty of differently colored areas like my Templars do, even no highlighting on the black itself. Most of the CF models aren't decorated enough for that approach, so I do highlight. But on the leftmost model the highlighting is basically not visible unless in bright light and/or very close. Which, I suppose, kinda feels like a waste of effort?

Aaaaand it seems like I forgot to take a before-picture of the CF dudes. Typical :dry.:

Today I'll try to do the Ironclad and the remaining BT Sternguard, and hopefully at least partially the two assault bikes. If I can't manage these, I think that's my last chance of completing this vow pretty much done for :unsure.:

It is the brother who continues on in the face of overwhelming odds, not caring for his personal safety, who snatches victory from the jaws of defeat with his bloodied gauntlet and last breath, that history remembers till the end of time.

Speaking of bloody gauntlets and whatnot...

http://www.tvih.net/stuff/wh40k/etl2014/etl2014-cf-sergeant1.jpg

Soo, he's almost done. Missing his backpack in the pic and some last finishing touches. Didn't do the wash on him. In daylight the highlights stand out quite a bit, as compared to the earlier picture (didn't do any extra highlighting in between. Still quite grimdark, but I like how he turned out. I really like the model itself with the pose and all, so it's nice that he came out looking good. Though I wish I had the confidence of being able to cut off the bolter without damaging it, so that I could also give him other weapons. In that sense too bad he's not finecast, then it'd be easy.

Oh, and on the downside of him looking nice, it took me probably 5 hours or more to paint him, which is not good considering I have very little time left to do a lot of other models....

Edited by tvih

I feel you on the highlights.  They are beautiful, and I can definitely see where you had to do at least two passes with different colors.  That always exhausts me.  (didn't I just highlight the whole model? lol).  I finally decided that the final highlight stage (for me) will now be a two day process.  That way it doesn't seem like I am just repeating what I just did a second time.

Either way, model looks great! (especially the line work)

While I'll keep trying for as long as there's time left, and while to admit defeat is to blaspheme against the Emperor, it's not looking like I'm going to make it, Brothers. Turns out somewhat severe depression combined with work and other things really isn't conducive to meeting deadlines in painting plastic and/or metal dudes :unsure.: I should've gotten started much sooner, but in the end I suppose the reason I didn't is the same reason why I'm progressing so slowly now.

As it is the the 10-man BT Sternguard squad is about 95% done, but the Ironclad is less than half done, the two attack bikes are basically assembled but still completely unpainted, two out of seven CF Sternguard are done, the rest aren't even properly assembled yet, just a pile of bits. Then there's the unassembled Thunderfire Cannon (just the cannon itself), and the Aegis Line. The latter is prepared for painting mostly, but unpainted. As I'm pretty exhausted as is and tomorrow's a working day, if I were to finish the models in the time remaining they'd probably look something like this. And as much as I don't want to be an oath breaker, even less do I want to do such a disservice to the members of my Crusade. They'd burn me as a traitor, I'm sure.