The Apocalypse Crusade

tvih

Yeez, made the mistake of getting Vallejo Game Color Gold Yellow since it looked closed to GW Golden Yellow than Yriel Yellow did... but this stuff is like water, completely unusable for regular brushes, zero coverage. I was trying to work on a Mk III IF marine but looks like it'll have to wait until tomorrow when I'll have to go back to buy the Yriel Yellow after all :dry.: Hopefully this Vallejo stuff will at least be usable with an airbrush, whenever I have money to buy a new one. Kinda sucks, Vallejo has the better bottles but this together with my previous experiences really makes it seems their paints flat-out suck at least for brush use.

And yeah I'm pretty happy with the end result of the Vindi, even if not the process, you could say. I just hope the remaining parts won't be too far off of that shade of yellow given the different paint! I do actually have some Golden Yellow left, but it's also very very thin now so it'll have to wait for the new airbrush too.

Edited by tvih

I suck at drybrushing, I never get the results I want so I've mostly just given up on it. Plus, changing the way I paint my BT vehicles at this point would be annoying as then the new style would stand out so much :tongue.:

Anyways, another night, another model. Highlighted Mk IV Ironclad Brecher for your viewing displeasure:

15219550_10207322766366141_9103737771621

Impressive conversion. What weapon does his left arm bear? A siege drill? A battering ram with an Aquila's head, which "counts as a" power fist?

"Acheron" reporting for duty.

15220152_10207338456798392_4137768937917

Even after ten millennia of service, it still yearns for the righteous slaughter of heretics and xenos as much as it did the day it rolled out of the blessed Forge.

Impressive model. I know one of Armageddon's hives is named "Acheron", and it was the site of fierce battles during the Third War for Armageddon. Is the Spartan named after the hive city (or rather, renamed, as Hive Acheron didn't exist during the Horus Heresy)?

Edited by Bjorn Firewalker

The Ironclad's arm is a seismic hammer. It's not a conversion though, it's a Forgeworld model. Probably the coolest dreadnought model there is :P

As for the Acheron, it's merely a reference to Greek mythology, much like the Razorback Styx and the Rhino Kharon (and other's to come, I'm sure).

• 4 weeks later...

med_gallery_68041_14949_8942.jpg

After working on IG and SoB, decided to finally do a test run on a Vanguard Veteran. This Running Man seemed to be in a hurry to get to Cadia, so I figured a paintjob might get him less odd looks once he gets there. He doesn't have his lightning claw yet though.

After good results with drybrushing IG vehicles (probably the best three paintjobs I've ever done) I thought I'd try to use it for subtle highlighting on BT infantry, since as I've said many times in this thread I don't do much highlighting on them because of the time it takes. Here it worked.... acceptably I guess even though the photo is a bit off. I'm not sure how it'll work on a less detailed model though. Now he looks pretty much like how the Lord Executioner does paintjob-wise, actually, though I don't recall actually drybrushing that one. Strangely enough it's also reminiscent of my very first 40k models, the three AoBR terminators.

Edited by tvih

• 1 month later...

After finishing the five Vanguard I've mostly been working on auxiliaries. Painted some Steel Legion and Vostroyans, assembled a few test Scions... and now have been mostly doing pre-painting work on Custodes and Sisters of Silence. With them waiting for paint purchases now, got back to the Centurions. Which bring me to a rather nasty annoyance - I cleaned up the pieces for the sergeant months ago, but didn't glue anything together. A month ago as I was moving stuff around I noticed that the right leg's outer hydraulic thingie is missing. Long story short, it's almost certainly a goner. Now, it's a pretty visible piece and all so I'm not sure how to replace it. I tried making a mold of one of the other centurion's part and use milliput to replicate it (don't have green stuff at the moment) but it didn't really come out right as the angles aren't the same and it's hard to adjust it - either it's so soft that it sticks to the mold despite oil or whatever you use, or it's already hard enough to crack if you try to bend it :wacko.:

I wasn't really planning on buying more Centurions either given the cost and that they're not exactly my favorite unit (not that I particularly dislike them, either) so no access to an exact copy of the missing piece. Even checked ebay and some bitz sites, but that'd be a very expensive route to take considering postage and whatnot :unsure.:

On the upside I did just now manage to magnetize the lascannon and gravcannon options for the sergeant, so I suppose it'll be doable for the other two as well. Now to get around to assembling the other two and getting them painted for the tabletop!

• 2 weeks later...

Jeez. Next month there'd be a local 1850-point competitive tournament. Contemplating joining, but it seems that even at 1850 points I can't fit in half the stuff I "need" into my list :P So much stuff! On one hand it'd be a good occasion to whip up a Celestine-led Castellans detachment, on the other there's always Gladius for metal box spam... decisions, decisions! It's been over two years since my last proper tournament, and things have changed so much since then, there's so many things I'd like to try.

I'd have to paint so darn many Rhino hulls to do a Gladius Battle Company list properly, ugh :P

One list I'm considering uses a CAD + Skyhammer Annihilation Force for an in-your-face strike army. Vanguard Vets for Celestine, drop podded Ironclad and the 2x Devastators, 2x deep striking assault squads, and 2x Land Speeder and an Attack Bike for fire support. Troops are two Crusader squads with grav riding in Rhinos. Problems include the heavy firepower units not being exactly durable, and drop pods being a pain in the butt to paint (I have three, but only one painted).

I'd like to try my Spartan, but in a competitive tournament it seems any expensive transports would likely just fizzle and pop early on. Also would like to try triple Vindicators for the mega blast, among other things.

Triple vindicators attract immediate fire - you'd actually be very lucky to use the big blast, almost any tourney army should be able to at least stun one, if not outright kill it. In apocalypse size games, you might be able to screen them off enough to get a chance to fire?

Main thing would be not to build a list around it firing, but rather make sure that its distraction is capitalised on.

Well, of course fire on the Vindis is always fire away from something else. Their regular blasts are of course still good even if the big one can't be fired.

I've also been thinking about that "fast strike" list described above, and come to think of it, is it just me or do Land Speeders seem a pretty bad choice these days? With so much medium and high strength weapons being employed these days, I just don't see them not getting blown to bits early on. Which is a shame, 'cause I like them.

• 7 months later...

Finally got around to reading the "Battle Primer" and even bought the SM codex. Looks like they messed up my Honour Guard project by making HG all of two models (and only with axes). Oh well. I guess I gotta use those guys as company veterans and such instead. Luckily having a bolter with melee weapon isn't such a bad combo anymore, because I quite like some of the models I had/have in the works that have both since they were supposed to be HG.

And as a reference to my last post above, at least the Speeders are sturdier now again against small arms fire since one of them is more resilient than a 6-man marine squad :tongue.: Of course, points cost has gone up too and heavier weapons can still ruin their day in a hurry with some luck (good or bad luck depending which side  you are on!). The weapon options appear more limited now, now doubles of the same weapon and such, but that's not such a big deal. Seems like Heavy Flamer isn't necessarily such a great option for it anymore. An assault cannon is only 4 points more and has 16" more range, while providing on average 4 hits vs the 3.5 of the HF. But also really liking the new Typhoon profiles, so I can definitely see myself keeping using those too despite the high cost (I'm not even sure if I've used Speeders more than once without Typhoons in the past).

Edited by tvih

Honour Guard can still use other weapons if you have the index. Index loadouts are still legal, but need to use codex point costs. The codex only contains models that GW actually produces, and Calgars Honour Guard are the only official models. Which also includes a Chapter Champion (which is why the Champ gets his new loadout with power gladius) and Ancient

https://www.games-workshop.com/en-US/Space-Marine-Marneus-Calgar-and-Honour-Guard

Same with Land Speeder Loadouts

Edited by Cognative

Yeah, I figured the UM models were the reason for the axes, but limiting it to two models is a pain in the butt regardless. I'm not too keen on the Indexes, having to buy the actual codices is bad enough in my current financial situation. I'm thinking of also buying the Guard codex soon, although at some point I guess I need the Mechanicus one too, and of course Sororitas when it is released (without the index I suppose I'm not playing them until then). And that'd still leave the "Talons" etc. 

• 2 weeks later...

Still not really getting painting done, but pondering unit loadouts and whatnot. Seems to me that since now specialized pistols are finally reasonably priced, it makes sense to be adding more of them to the list. I always liked the idea of plasma pistols and such, but the cost used to be so prohibitive compared to usefulness that I usually had maybe the one. And of course being able to - as far as I understand - fire the weapon even when "locked in combat" using the weapon's own profile? Even better. Too bad I have no dual-melta-pistol Sororitas Seraphim models :sad.:

One other nice thing I noticed is the reasonably priced EC these days, definitely worth adding to lists! I just slapped a cloak on my vintage EC, making him even cooler. Maybe I should try it with the Finecast one too, I was never happy with how mine turned out, maybe a bigger cloak would help. Also need to rework the FW Company Champion guy somehow because as nice as the model itself is, mine just is... lacking. Of course another question is what battlefield role to give to the finecast EC and the Company Champion under the new army list entries. Might make 'em my Honour Guard if not for the whole Axe thing, I'd rather not go all emo and start cutting their wrist to change the weapon... stupid codex.

Oh... and while the pistols are now nice and cheap, I guess in turn combis are pretty meh at least for Sternguard. While they can be fired with both proflies at -1 BS which is kinda cool, the costs seem a bit much, seems to make more sense to just add another pair of boots on the ground for the same price. (EDIT: Well, doubly so since I only now realized that the sternguard special bolter is a weapon profile rather than special ammo rule which is lost when "upgrading" to a combi.)

Edited by tvih

I used my spare EC as a CCW LT and was happy with it.  Only way to get re-roll wound rolls.

As for the EC himself ... he's a beast ... 75pts is a steal.

And yes ... you can shoot plasma pistols while locked in combat.

• 3 months later...

Finally after a bit over a year got around to playing a game - though in fact it's been 3 years for my marines by now. Didn't go so well, stupid Dark Angels and their supercharged plasma spam. Not really up to speed on the new rules so nasty mistakes were certainly made because of that. List was a bit haphazard too, in the end lack of long range armor-penetrating firepower was probably the biggest factor that did me in.

I must say I'm not overly impressed with vehicle durability. My dreadnoughts die as fast or faster than ever. My autocannon dread got to fire all of one salvo, and blew up. And of course none of the 8 shots even hit. Stupid dice. Also shooty dreads not being able to use heavy weapons at full BS while moving seems a bit strange to say the least. In the meanwhile my FW Ironclad hid from the plasmas most of the match, then managed to survive with two wounds left after a full salvo from 5 plasma blasters and charged in to wipe out three bikers that survived my shooting phase. So at least it got something done. Reading the codex more after the match also noticed how nice Ironclad assault launchers are now, so definitely gotta remember to have those next time (as said, it was a haphazard list in terms of upgrades too, didn't even have a relic even though they seem to be free nowadays).

Also due to said plasma spam terminators were pretty useless as well. 5-man tactical termie squad died in the first turn to those goddamn plasma blaster bikes. Didn't help that I didn't know about the method for rerolling a single charge die for 1CP, that would've likely allowed them to kill the tactical squad (especially the pesky plasma cannon) I was targeting with them and then survive to round two.

Close combat....... well, first of all my opponent had an inordinate amount of luck with overwatch. Like me charging a three-man tactical squad with my vanguard vets and losing two models to overwatch (only had three vets left myself). Whoopti-doo. And then there's the whole thing about not apparently being able to lock the enemy in combat anymore, instead they can just walk out. What the hell. That got the last vet killed and almost my chaplain warlord, too. I guess they really don't want CC units to survive past the enemy's next turn after combat.

My EC almost killed the enemy warlord with a solo charge in the last turn after my assault terminators (who had been hiding for most of the game from plasma cannons) died, but sadly the plan was undone by not rerolling to-wound rolls. He did get 3 wounds in with the single strike that rolled high enough to wound. I had a faint recollection that he should've had rerolls to wound but at the moment I couldn't find it at a glance - even though it's right frickin' there in the rules - and so to speed up the game I didn't. The game had been going for like 5 hours at that point, so we were trying to just wrap it up at that point.

In the end my only surviving unit was the sole Crusader Squad I had, they sat in an Imperial Bunker for the entire match. Only casualty was the plasma gun guy who melted himself with supercharged plasma while shooting at some Deathwing Terminators.

Match specifics aside, certainly many good things about 8th edition too. Like being able to charge after shooting or disembarking from a CC point of view. Cheaper power weapons are good, and it looks like I might actually try using an apothecary at some point since it turns out they can be pretty handy nowadays (my opponent had one) as they are not limited to a command squad. All the changes will take some getting used to for sure, and once that happens the games should certainly be faster than in prior editions. *!¤& not being able to do anything about psychic powers without spending a command point though. Seriously.

Plan is to get more active with playing now. I really need to properly paint up some long range firepower units like lascannon devastators, a Whirlwind or two and I'm just now working on finally finishing the Thunderfire Cannon I've had waiting for over five years. I swear, the people who have ever thought resin is good for anything other than infantry ought to be put on trial for crimes against humanity. Other than the poor TFC fitment (the reason it has been unfinished all this time) my Spartan split into three again in Autumn. I reglued it yesterday while waiting for people to show up for the gaming day, but who knows how long it'll last time time.

Edited by tvih

Lined up for painting: a second plasma cannon, finishing touches on two lascannons, a Whirlwind (at least the turret, but at some point the hull too)... and also highlights and details on the Thunderfire Cannon. Should give a starting point for longer range firepower when not using the Spartan. Oh, which reminds me, I guess I should paint the second Land Raider in a lascannon configuration. But I also have a second Whirlwind, an unpainted Predator (with a second needing partial work) and two more lascannons in the pipeline, as well as two painted Land Speeders needing regluing. I could've sworn I had two additional unpainted but assembled plasma cannons at some point, but can't seem to find them. Just like I can't find most of my paints at the moment, which is hampering any actual progress beyond basecoats.

The Whirlwinds and TFC should be especially handy in being able to fire essentially all across the battlefield at any target, since they don't require LoS. I've never used the WWs (except one once as a proxy for an Exorcist) as they weren't particularly good in 6th, and hadn't painted them so I would've used them in the few games of 7th I played with marines. Now they seem... reasonable... in terms of firepower, even if not the best. I'm contemplating using one of each launcher type, although I'm magnetizing the missile warheads to allow either while staying WYSIWYG. Actually I accidentally glued the things on the first launcher at first, was a pain getting them off :tongue.:

I guess I should convert at least half a dozen Templars (and also Fists at a later time) to have magnetized backpacks for carrying heavy weapons as I never got around to doing that so far.

So much work to do!

You could say that, yes... this pic from earlier in the thread is now nearly 5 years old:

http://www.tvih.net/stuff/wh40k/crusade1.jpg

It had most of my marine models at the time in it. Sadly many of those are still unpainted, such as two Land Speeders, the second Predator, the second Stormtalon, the bikes and of course a few dozen infantry. Not to speak of the fact that I have probably at least twice that many marine models nowadays, never mind the non-marine stuff. I'd need to take a new pic like that, but so many models are unassembled or half-assembled that it'd be a messy pic. I'd need to make a definite list of what models I'm going to paint as which chapter and what I might sell so I could get a better idea of my current rosters. A rough roster can be found a few pages back in this thread.

On the upside I finally found the paints, so time to work on those heavy weapons some.

This image has brought back far too many memories of what I had to paint my way though not so long ago and still have to in some regards thankfully I've put a large dent in mine but I suffer from the "I need more" syndrome and keep buying more...:whistling: 

I should probably do an image like this myself, I like the idea of doing one and keeping it updated to see my progress through the mass of grey!

Thank you for sharing this with me Brother you have a mighty force, i look forward to seeing its completion or as close to it as possible even more now!