Dry Earth Effect

Very cool.

Only nitpick is that the final looks kinda of "wet". Perhaps it's the lighting or perhaps it's the painting method, but it has a subtle sheen that made me think that.

Nice tutorial. Comes in handy as I'll doy desert table.

The drybrush technique will most definitely come in handy and the washes can play a part as well.

I'd say drybrush is the only way to go. Washing does make it look wet. The downside on drybrushing in shading is it leaves things looking dusty, and that is what you want in a thing like this.

• 6 months later...

I read an article about alternatives to this, and I found out the elmers white glue produces a similar effect.  I tried it out tonight with mod podge, and did a few test samples under different conditions, and it didn't work.  I will try it out with elmers glue when I find some kicking around the house.

I still like yours a lot more, its more defined, deeper cracks.  Still, if I want to do a table this way, I need to find something thats cost effective.  Here's the article.

http://makethebestofthings.blogspot.ca/2010/05/crackle-finish-with-elmers-glue.html

Archived