Welcome to The Bolter and Chainsword
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

1500 Tournament Drop Pod Assault List

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
49 replies to this topic

Brother-Captain Lucius

Brother-Captain Lucius

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 778 posts
So here's the list I will be bringing to the first 6th edition tournament in Ireland this coming weekend, the idea behind it is to drop 30 Feel No Pain, 5+ cover save marines 1st turn to blow away anything that is important. It is also great against Flyer wings where they have a low model count on the board turn 1.

The list has 3 wins out of 3 games in practice against Vanilla Marines, Guard and Chaos.

:HQ:
Librarian w/ Infernus Pistol, Blood Lance, Shield

:)
Sanguinary Priest w/ Power Fist, Infernus Pistol
Sanguinary Priest w/ Power Fist, Infernus Pistol
8 Sternguard w/ 5 Combi-Plasma, 1 Combi-Meltagun, 2 Meltaguns, Drop Pod, Locator Beacon
9 Sternguard w/ 4 Combi-Plasma, 3 Combi-Meltagun, 2 Meltaguns, Drop Pod, Locator Beacon

:P
10 Assault Marines w/ 2 Meltaguns, Power Fist, Drop Pod, Locator Beacon
10 Assault Marines w/ 2 Meltaguns, Power Fist, Drop Pod
5 Assault Marines w/ 1 Meltagun, Infernus Pistol, Drop Pod

So the Librarian and 1 Priest joins the 8 man Sternguard Squad and the other priest joins the 9 man squad. The 2 Sternguard Squads drop down with the 10 man squad with the Locator Beacon. So on turn 1 I have 23 special weapons to bring to bear on the enemy.

Thoughts?

Edited by Brother-Captain Lucius, 06 August 2012 - 05:56 PM.

Squirrel

Squirrel

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 3,140 posts
Looks pretty good, not to sure about infernus pistols, their 6" range seems really limiting, wouldnt rather plasma?

Edited by Squirrel, 31 July 2012 - 10:12 AM.

Brother Sergeant Scarus

Brother Sergeant Scarus

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 303 posts
I like it, it's quite different - my 2 cents:

1) Not sure about the Powerfist on the Priest, due to challenges etc - pretty easy for him to be cut down before doing anything, but it is personal preference

2) 5 Assault Marines w/ 1 Meltagun, Infernus Pistol, Drop Pod - what's the role of these guys? I thought they were intended for capturing objectives - if so, why the 6'' Infernus pistol. If not, what are your plans in regards to objectives?

3) I'm not sure you need an Infernus on the Librarian if you're running Blood Lance - and that'll free up some points.

4) Why the two meltaguns in the Sternguard, rather than two combi-meltas? Not a criticism, just a curiosity :)

You could try:

Librarian w/ Blood Lance, Shield - 100 pts

;)

Sanguinary Priest w/ Infernus Pistol (or a power weapon) - 65
Sanguinary Priest w/ Infernus Pistol (or a power weapon) - 65
8 Sternguard w/ 5 Combi-Plasma, 1 Combi-Meltagun, 2 Meltaguns, Drop Pod, Locator Beacon - 285
8 Sternguard w/ 4 Combi-Plasma, 2 Combi-Meltagun, 2 Meltaguns, Drop Pod, Locator Beacon - 285

^_^
10 Assault Marines w/ 2 Meltaguns, Power Fist, Drop Pod, Locator Beacon - 245
10 Assault Marines w/ 2 Meltaguns, Power Weapon and Melta-Bomb, Drop Pod - 230
10 Tactical Marines w/Lascannon, Plasmagun and Drop Pod - 225

1500 pts

So the tactical squad can claim a further away objective and still contribute to the battle thanks to their longer range guns, if you're getting out of your pod you can still snap-fire the lascannon (a good time to shoot at fliers as you're hitting on 6's anyway!).

But that all depends on your overall game plan/what you intend to do with the small squad in your original list.

Overall though I really like the concept and it's refreshingly different for a Blood Angel army.

What kind of lists did your opponents run?
Malithos looked at his brothers in raw disbelief for a moment, before tilting his head at the First Captain. "Are you mad, Sevatar?"

"I don’t think so. I feel fine."

"How would you stop us?" asked Var Jahan.

"I’d kill you, of course. What kind of question is that? But let’s hope we don't reach that point. Emotions are running high, and my spear is all the way over there...''

Squirrel

Squirrel

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 3,140 posts
i thought about the challenges on priests aswell, but as long as the sternguard sgt is also able to participate he could take the challenge for the priest

Brother Sergeant Scarus

Brother Sergeant Scarus

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 303 posts

i thought about the challenges on priests aswell, but as long as the sternguard sgt is also able to participate he could take the challenge for the priest

Hmm - that's true :)
Malithos looked at his brothers in raw disbelief for a moment, before tilting his head at the First Captain. "Are you mad, Sevatar?"

"I’d kill you, of course. What kind of question is that? But let’s hope we don't reach that point. Emotions are running high, and my spear is all the way over there...''

Brother-Captain Lucius

Brother-Captain Lucius

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 778 posts

Hmm - that's true :)

It's the exact reason for the Powerfists. Thanks for the input so far lads, appreciate it!

5 Assault Marines w/ 1 Meltagun, Infernus Pistol, Drop Pod - what's the role of these guys? I thought they were intended for capturing objectives - if so, why the 6'' Infernus pistol. If not, what are your plans in regards to objectives?

They are intended for capturing objectives and they bring in the 5th pod at a cheap price so I can drop 3 Pods on turn 1. They also add in another 2 melta weapons on the off chance I need them. The 6" isn't as bad as ye think anymore with the ability to Pre-Measure and being able to get 6" out of a Drop Pod.

I'm not sure you need an Infernus on the Librarian if you're running Blood Lance - and that'll free up some points.

The pistol is there for when the Libby is on 1 wound and does not need to take a risk in casting a shooting power. It's also better at cracking tanks when in close range.

Why the two meltaguns in the Sternguard, rather than two combi-meltas? Not a criticism, just a curiosity

Those are there for when the squad has used their Combi-Meltas, so far they have proved invaluable. Being able to bag heavy tanks or Dreads is great especially the times when you manage to hit a charging dread on overwatch.

Brother Captain Kezef

Brother Captain Kezef

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,373 posts
according to the 5th ed book only half of you army can be reserve. Is there some rule I'm not aware of that makes drop pods legal?

All warfare is based on deception

Brother Sergeant Scarus

Brother Sergeant Scarus

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 303 posts

according to the 5th ed book only half of you army can be reserve. Is there some rule I'm not aware of that makes drop pods legal?

I believe it's due to the fact that the first 'wave' of drop-pods aren't technically in reserve thanks to Drop-Pod Assault.

Only pods that roll for reserve are counted as being in reserve.

As far as I'm aware it's only full drop-pod armies and Chaos Daemons (thanks to Daemonic Assault) that can leave the enemy with nothing to shoot at in his first turn.

Bear in mind that (in the extremely unlikely event) if your ''first wave'' of drop pods all died (for whatever reason) then you would lose due to the ''No models on the table at the end of a game turn'' rule.

But that would be.... unfortunate. To say the least.

Under the DS special rules (I believe page 36 but I don't have my book handy) it says that any model embarked on a transport that must DS is ignored for the purposes of determining how many units can be in reserve. So, an entire list of DS via DP is still ok, including the IC.Daemon Prince (p32 p92 C:CSM, or p46 p86 C:CD)
Drop Pod (p69 p135 C:SM 5th)

Deep Strike (p95 40k 5th)

Independent Character (p47 40k 5th)

Edited by Brother Sergeant Scarus, 01 August 2012 - 08:04 AM.

Brother Sergeant Scarus

Brother Sergeant Scarus

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 303 posts
Yeah, I've no problem with the Priests now that I've realised the SG Sgt is in there :D

True - pre-measuring does make a difference to 6'' weapons, I'm just wondering if there's something you could do to add a little more anti-horde to your army. I've seen a fair number of people leaning towards hordes (or at least a large number of bodies) - I'm wondering if the odd flamer/combi flamer wouldn't go amiss.

My Sternguard (in my Vanilla) also run a couple of meltaguns, but people look at me crazy as ''Sternguard ammo is the reason for Sternguard'' - but my reasons are the same as yours, redunancy/reliability and just having an extra deterrant. Not to mention continuous Anti-Tank/Anti-MC.

What kind of Guard army did you play against?

Brother-Captain Lucius

Brother-Captain Lucius

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 778 posts

Yeah, I've no problem with the Priests now that I've realised the SG Sgt is in there :wacko:

True - pre-measuring does make a difference to 6'' weapons, I'm just wondering if there's something you could do to add a little more anti-horde to your army. I've seen a fair number of people leaning towards hordes (or at least a large number of bodies) - I'm wondering if the odd flamer/combi flamer wouldn't go amiss.

My Sternguard (in my Vanilla) also run a couple of meltaguns, but people look at me crazy as ''Sternguard ammo is the reason for Sternguard'' - but my reasons are the same as yours, redunancy/reliability and just having an extra deterrant. Not to mention continuous Anti-Tank/Anti-MC.

With regards to horde, I believe I'm fine with where the army currently stands. The ability to put out 42 bolt shots on turn 1 with 34 of them wounding on 2's or ignoring cover, not to mind the 18 plasma shots that I could instead choose to fire.

The guard army was a bit of a mish mash of stuff as he was trying things out and it was something like this:

Stracken + Command Squad
30 man blob, commissar
Platoon command squad
10 Vets w/ 3 Plasma Guns
Chimera
Manticore
Vendetta
Aegis Defense Line, Quad Gun
Librarian w/ Shield, Lance
8 Assault Marines w/ Meltagun, Fist, Pod
Priest.

Brother Sergeant Scarus

Brother Sergeant Scarus

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 303 posts

Yeah, I've no problem with the Priests now that I've realised the SG Sgt is in there :lol:

With regards to horde, I believe I'm fine with where the army currently stands. The ability to put out 42 bolt shots on turn 1 with 34 of them wounding on 2's or ignoring cover, not to mind the 18 plasma shots that I could instead choose to fire.

The guard army was a bit of a mish mash of stuff as he was trying things out and it was something like this:

Stracken + Command Squad
30 man blob, commissar
Platoon command squad
10 Vets w/ 3 Plasma Guns
Chimera
Manticore
Vendetta
Aegis Defense Line, Quad Gun
Librarian w/ Shield, Lance
8 Assault Marines w/ Meltagun, Fist, Pod
Priest.

Actually you're probably right - you certainly have enough bolts to thin down a horde - I was worried you'd get swamped in charges but Overwatch and the priests combined with the basic two attacks of the Sternguard should see you through.

A little concerned about deathstars - but I think it's a bit much to ask one list to have a sure fire way of dealing with everything. You have enough special weapons to give a single deathstar at least a good pasting.

If it's working, keep going for it - let us know if you have any more battles/successes.

Brother-Captain Lucius

Brother-Captain Lucius

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 778 posts

Actually you're probably right - you certainly have enough bolts to thin down a horde - I was worried you'd get swamped in charges but Overwatch and the priests combined with the basic two attacks of the Sternguard should see you through.

A little concerned about deathstars - but I think it's a bit much to ask one list to have a sure fire way of dealing with everything. You have enough special weapons to give a single deathstar at least a good pasting.

If it's working, keep going for it - let us know if you have any more battles/successes.

I'll be playing in a 18-20 man Tournament this weekend so I'll keep ye posted on how its going.

Brother-Captain Lucius

Brother-Captain Lucius

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 778 posts
Had a very successful Tournament with this list. Managed to finish 2nd Overall.

Game 1 against Chaos Space Marines was a 17-3 win.
Game 2 against Space Wolves was a 13-7 win.
Game 3 against Chaos Demons was an 18-2 defeat.
Game 4 against Sisters of Battle was a 17-3 win.
Game 5 against Necrons was a 17-3 win.

Finished with 66/100 battle points so was happy with that. The list performed very well with the loss to Demons being down to me messing up and making some critical errors.

I have a few tweaks in mind for the list so will post up future ideas for it soon.

Rabidweasel

Rabidweasel

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 60 posts
Congrats on the 2nd place mate. I've been looking at ways of doing a full drop pod army for ages and your list has certainly given me some ideas to try out.

Just a few things, did you opt to go second so as to deny them a turn of shooting? Then pod in your first turn to pop tanks, gun down hordes? Obviousy each game and layout is completely different but did you also drop aggressive, as in podded everything as close to his units as possible. Thanks to pre-messuring now i'm guessing judging distances is much easier, plus the ability to get out 6" is awesome so that must have helped a lot.

Brother Sergeant Scarus

Brother Sergeant Scarus

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 303 posts

Had a very successful Tournament with this list. Managed to finish 2nd Overall.

Game 1 against Chaos Space Marines was a 17-3 win.
Game 2 against Space Wolves was a 13-7 win.
Game 3 against Chaos Demons was an 18-2 defeat.
Game 4 against Sisters of Battle was a 17-3 win.
Game 5 against Necrons was a 17-3 win.

Finished with 66/100 battle points so was happy with that. The list performed very well with the loss to Demons being down to me messing up and making some critical errors.

I have a few tweaks in mind for the list so will post up future ideas for it soon.

Ahh congratulations, glad the list worked out for you!

Seem like it was win big/lose big, none of the scores are very close!

What kind of things were you up against? Particularly the Daemons.

Brother-Captain Lucius

Brother-Captain Lucius

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 778 posts

Ahh congratulations, glad the list worked out for you!

Seem like it was win big/lose big, none of the scores are very close!

What kind of things were you up against? Particularly the Daemons.

Game 1 was against this:

Lord on a Bike, Demon Weapon, Mark of Nurgle
10 Marines, 2 Meltaguns, Combi-Melta, Power Axe, Icon, Rhino, Combi-Plasma
5 Havocs, 4 Autocannons
5 Havocs, 4 Autocannons
5 Havocs, 4 Autocannons

Game 2 was against this:

Rune Priest, Chooser, Jaws + Stormcaller
8 Grey Hunters, Meltagun, Banner, Wolf Guard, Terminator Armour, Chainfist, Storm Shield, Land Raider, Extra Armour, Multi-Melta
8 Grey Hunters, Meltagun, Banner, Wolf Guard, Combi-Melta, Powerfist, Rhino
5 Grey Hunters, Flamer, Razorback, Las-Plas
5 Long Fangs, 4 Missile Launchers, Razorback, Las-Plas
5 Long Fangs, 4 Missile Launchers
5 Long Fangs, 4 Missile Launchers

Game 3 was against this from memory:

Lord of Change
Herald, Tzeentch, Bolt, Gaze
5 Screamers
3 Flamers
7 Horrors, Changeling
8 Horrors
Demon Prince, Wings, Bolt
Demon Prince, Wings, Gaze
Demon Prince, wings, Breath

I lost this game due to some terrible mistakes on my part such as throwing away a 10 man assault squad for no reason and not shooting the Swooping demons. Also the new update for demons was in effect.

Game 4 was against this:

Celestine
10 Sisters, 2 Meltaguns
10 Sisters, 2 Meltaguns
Exorcist
Exorcist
Exorcist
Librarian, Sword, Lance, Jump Pack
5 Assault Marines, iPistol, Meltagun
5 Assault Terminators, 5 Thunder Hammers
Storm Raven, Extra Armour, Assault Cannons, Multi Melta

Game 5 was against this:

Lord, 2+, 3++, Mindshackle, Warscythe
6 Immortals, Blasters, Cryptek, Lance, Pulse
6 Immortals, Blasters, Cryptek, Lance
9 Scarabs
9 Scarabs
Doom Scythe
Doom Scythe

Congrats on the 2nd place mate. I've been looking at ways of doing a full drop pod army for ages and your list has certainly given me some ideas to try out.

Just a few things, did you opt to go second so as to deny them a turn of shooting? Then pod in your first turn to pop tanks, gun down hordes? Obviousy each game and layout is completely different but did you also drop aggressive, as in podded everything as close to his units as possible. Thanks to pre-messuring now i'm guessing judging distances is much easier, plus the ability to get out 6" is awesome so that must have helped a lot.

I usually opted to first against most people bar Demons. I had first turn in 2 games. It means I get a turn of shooting when the enemy has no smoked vehicles and can't maneuver away from me. I also did drop aggressively as I'm a very aggressive player with all my lists in 5th either being Ravens or Jumpers. Also yes, judging distances is much easier along with being able to position your pod to not mishap off of the table.

Edited by Brother-Captain Lucius, 06 August 2012 - 05:55 PM.

Squirrel

Squirrel

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 3,140 posts
remember against daemons you dont need to pod in, you can just start on the board

and use pods to fill the gaps in terrian

Brother-Captain Lucius

Brother-Captain Lucius

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 778 posts

remember against daemons you dont need to pod in, you can just start on the board

and use pods to fill the gaps in terrian

I know, in the situation I was in it was better to pod. He would drop in then I would drop in with my specials.

EDIT: I had a list posted but an upcoming tournament just released their rulesback which disallows Fortifications so back to the drawing board.

Edited by Brother-Captain Lucius, 08 August 2012 - 02:36 PM.

Brother-Captain Lucius

Brother-Captain Lucius

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 778 posts
Sorry for the double post but having read the rulespack fully, here is the list I plan to use at the next Tournament:

Librarian w/ Sword, Shield, Axe

;)
8 Sternguard w/ 5 Combi-Plasma, 1 Combi-Melta, 2 Meltaguns, Drop Pod
9 Sternguard w/ 4 Combi-Plasma, 3 Combi-Melta, 2 Meltaguns, Drop Pod, Power Fist
Sanguinary Priest w/ Power Fist

:P
10 Death Company w/ 10 Bolters, 2 Power Fists, Drop Pod
5 Assault Marines w/ Plasma Gun, Plasma Pistol, Melta Bomb, Drop Pod
5 Scouts w/ Camo Cloaks, 5 Sniper Rifles

Thoughts?

Brother Sergeant Scarus

Brother Sergeant Scarus

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 303 posts

Sorry for the double post but having read the rulespack fully, here is the list I plan to use at the next Tournament:

Librarian w/ Sword, Shield, Axe

:D
8 Sternguard w/ 5 Combi-Plasma, 1 Combi-Melta, 2 Meltaguns, Drop Pod
9 Sternguard w/ 4 Combi-Plasma, 3 Combi-Melta, 2 Meltaguns, Drop Pod, Power Fist

:D
10 Death Company w/ 10 Bolters, 2 Power Fists, Drop Pod
5 Scouts w/ Camo Cloaks, 5 Sniper Rifles

Thoughts?

Well, I'm amazed you've found the points for a Death Company :)

My only concern, and I think it's the obvious concern, is a lack of scoring bodies. Obviously the threatening nature of the SG/DC will draw a lot of fire from your scoring units, and it's still possible win due to the other other ways of obtaining victory points in 6th ed - but its worth bearing in mind.

Will you be able to get some playtest games in?

Squirrel

Squirrel

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 3,140 posts
yeah with the DC i dont think you are going to get enough scoring bodies in your list.

IK Viper

IK Viper

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 338 posts
I would be interested to see this army go up against a meched up army like an Eldar wave serpent list sort of thing, since you loose that mobility after the pods come down. with all the locator beacons it might be cool to take a VV squad with 4 melta bombs or a hard core CC load out to come in and tie up a nasty squad 2nd turn, just a thought, and with so many beacons your going to have a viable target inside your no scatter zone im sure.

Brother-Captain Lucius

Brother-Captain Lucius

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 778 posts

Well, I'm amazed you've found the points for a Death Company B)

My only concern, and I think it's the obvious concern, is a lack of scoring bodies. Obviously the threatening nature of the SG/DC will draw a lot of fire from your scoring units, and it's still possible win due to the other other ways of obtaining victory points in 6th ed - but its worth bearing in mind.

Will you be able to get some playtest games in?

Yeah I should be able to get a few games in. I have until the 1st of September to submit a list. The tournament is only running 1 Secondary which means I have a good chance of scoring a good amount of points.

There will be 1 mission with First Blood, almost guaranteed to be mine, 2 with Linebreaker which again favours my army and 2 others with Slay the Warlord which can go either way.

The scoring for the games breaks down as follows:

8 points for Primary
4 Points for Secondary
8 Points for Victory Points.

Personally I think I'll be fine with the scoring but a few practice games will show if I have enough or not.

Squirrel

Squirrel

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 3,140 posts
at 2000 points, most people are praising the necessity of 6-8 troop choices, im sure at 1500 there is going to be an issue with 3x5 scoring bodies

Brother-Captain Lucius

Brother-Captain Lucius

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 778 posts
I'm not particularly worried about it for now as our regular game size is 1850. For that level I plan to have a lot more scoring and more then likely including Pedro.