Welcome to The Bolter and Chainsword
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

1500 Tournament Drop Pod Assault List

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
49 replies to this topic

knife&fork

knife&fork

++ VISCERA LACERATUS ++

• ++ MODERATI CEDO ++
  • 3,701 posts
Interesting read as I'm sitting on 9 pods after some successful e-bay fu :)

I'm probably going with fragcannon dreads instead of sternguards in a similar role to your list. Being able to torrent away the dangerous stuff in a squad (usually a melta gunner) along with being invincible to s6 and below is pretty neat.
24 years of Blood Angels

Brother-Captain Lucius

Brother-Captain Lucius

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 778 posts
Played a game against Mech GK's with the Death Company list. I won 8-7 in VP's. I liked it but all of your points struck home. Needs MOAR scoring. So with that in mind here's an updated one:

Librarian, Sword, Shield
Sanguinary Priest, Melta Bomb
Sanguinary Priest, Melta Bomb
10 Sternguard w/ 5 Combi-Plasma's, 2 Combi-Melta's, 2 Meltaguns, 1 Bolter, Drop Pod
10 Sternguard w/ 5 Combi-Plasma's, 2 Combi-Melta's, 2 Meltaguns, 1 Bolter, Drop Pod
8 Assault Marines w/ 1 Meltagun, Drop Pod
8 Assault Marines w/ 1 Meltagun, Drop Pod
5 Assault Marines w/ Drop Pod

Sternguard now have the option to combat squad, slag a tank and then fry whatever was inside, the 8 man Assault Squads each get a Priest and one of them gets the Librarian. That means I drop 39 FnP marines Turn 1 along with 10 more in reserve to drop onto objectives that are further away.

Thoughts?

Squirrel

Squirrel

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 3,140 posts
really glad you had the ability to playtest, to see for yourself. personally favourite setup for sternguard, is the combat squad on drop, slag 2 vehicles.

i think i would trim more assault marines (off 8 man), get a couple more weapon options spread around, even if its just flamers, and 2-3 more meltabombs. combi meltas on priests or lib could do really well as well.

Edited by Squirrel, 18 August 2012 - 01:18 PM.

Brother-Captain Lucius

Brother-Captain Lucius

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 778 posts
New revision:

Drop one marine from one of the 8 man squads, drop one of the melta bombs on the priest, add a Power Fist to that priest. This gives me a Strength 10 Ap2 weapon in one squad and a powerfist in the other.

Morticon

Morticon

++ FILIUS VINDICOR ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 13,763 posts
ap3, yeh?
Gamist, cheesy, beardy or broken; If Games Workshop put it in the book I'll gladly play against it, or with it. - Mort
"Use soft words and hard arguments." (Henry George Bohn [1796-1884].)

There is no harm in, on occasion, having disagreements. It's another thing entirely, however, to be a tool in conveying that disagreement.

"OP: The term used by players to describe a combination of yours they are personally unable to beat"

Collection of Battle Reports
Corbulo Tactica

Brother-Captain Lucius

Brother-Captain Lucius

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 778 posts

ap3, yeh?

Nope, I give my Librarians Force Axes :lol:

SamaNagol

SamaNagol

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 4,769 posts
Have you considered Furiosos with Frag Cannon/Meltagun/Magna Grapple load outs? I've found them really effective

Brother-Captain Lucius

Brother-Captain Lucius

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 778 posts

Have you considered Furiosos with Frag Cannon/Meltagun/Magna Grapple load outs? I've found them really effective

I have indeed. My one problem was introducing Armour in an otherwise infantry list, bar the pods of course. Those Furioso's then suck all the AT in the opponents army. I will however give them a try when I bump the list up to 1850.

SamaNagol

SamaNagol

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 4,769 posts
For 175 pts a Furioso with that load out in a pod is good value

I would also recommend Honour Guard! You are always allowed to take one of these and at 190pts for 5 of them with 4 meltaguns and a free Priest they could help you shave off some points in your list for other things?

Killax

Killax

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 658 posts
Nice list, very cool to see it actually doing it's job to! :D

Personally I like the above suggested ideas, but as you mentioned, bringing needed armor in the list makes the opponents their AA actually usefull, so the idea is cool but also a bit mixed for me.

I would try to find the right balance between good equiped models and no over-kill units. Which you almost have done.

YourMumRang

YourMumRang

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 126 posts
I would defiinately try to get in some Honour Guard but other than that nice!

Squirrel

Squirrel

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 3,140 posts

I would also recommend Honour Guard! You are always allowed to take one of these and at 190pts for 5 of them with 4 meltaguns and a free Priest they could help you shave off some points in your list for other things?

i think both these options are pretty weak, cant really fit them in at 1500. neither option scores, and furiso will just eat melta, and other av first turn, every time.

Brother-Captain Lucius

Brother-Captain Lucius

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 778 posts
Thanks for the input all. It's much appreciated.

I have looked at Honour Guard alright as a way to keep my squads at full strength and not at 8/9 men to hold a priest. However what's keeping me away from them is my fear of the Priest being blown away too fast with only 4 surplus bodies before he's hit. Barring of course, precision shots.

SamaNagol

SamaNagol

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 4,769 posts

i think both these options are pretty weak, cant really fit them in at 1500. neither option scores, and furiso will just eat melta, and other av first turn, every time.

Remind me how Sternguard score again...

Squirrel

Squirrel

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 3,140 posts
they are both better options to honour guard and furiso dread/libby

because of their special ammo, and combat squading (allowing you to get more bodies on board t1)

Brother-Captain Lucius

Brother-Captain Lucius

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 778 posts
Based on all of ye're input, here's a list I've devised for 1850:

Librarian w/ Sword, Shield
Librarian w/ Sword, Lance
Honour Guard w/ 4 Plasma Guns, Drop Pod
10 Assault Marines w/ 2 Meltaguns, Infernus Pistol, Melta Bomb, Drop Pod
10 Assault Marines w/ 2 Meltaguns, Infernus Pistol, Drop Pod
5 Assault Marines, Drop Pod
5 Assault Marines, Drop Pod
5 Devastators w/ Drop Pod

On the first turn I can drop 9 Melta's and 8 Plasma's with the 2 Librarians. The Dev squad is there to simply add in the extra pod on the cheap while also being able to score in 1 mission. I also have 50/55 scoring models. I personally like this one.

Thoughts?

SamaNagol

SamaNagol

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 4,769 posts
You've got zero assault in 1850, that's gonna hurt you

Brother-Captain Lucius

Brother-Captain Lucius

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 778 posts

You've got zero assault in 1850, that's gonna hurt you

40 Assault Marines?

SamaNagol

SamaNagol

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 4,769 posts
They are just mundane attacks. Weight of dice doesn't work alone.

Brother-Captain Lucius

Brother-Captain Lucius

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 778 posts

They are just mundane attacks. Weight of dice doesn't work alone.

Suggestions? Also forgot to include that the Librarians have Axes.

SamaNagol

SamaNagol

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 4,769 posts
I would drop one of the 5 man squads and reduce the 10 man squads to accomodate Sanguinary priests at least and throw in some power weapons

Perhaps a medium sized unit of DC in a pod with some axes or fists

Edited by SamaNagol, 24 August 2012 - 01:24 AM.

Brother-Captain Lucius

Brother-Captain Lucius

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 778 posts

I would drop one of the 5 man squads and reduce the 10 man squads to accomodate Sanguinary priests at least and throw in some power weapons

Perhaps a medium sized unit of DC in a pod with some axes or fists

How many priests do you suggest? I would have assumed 2 would have sufficed? Also dropping a Pod means I can only bring in 4 Pods Turn 1. I imagine you meant drop the Dev squad and their Pod?

EDIT: OK, how about this Sama, seems to cover all the bases:

Librarian w/ Sword, Shield, Axe
Librarian w/ Sword, Lance, Axe
Priest w/ Power Fist
Priest w/ Power Fist
8 Assault Marines w/ Meltagun, Infernus Pistol, Drop Pod
8 Assault Marines w/ Meltagun, Infernus Pistol, Drop Pod
8 Death Company w/ 2 Power Swords, 2 Infernus Pistols, Power Fist, Drop Pod
5 Devastators w/ Bolters, Drop Pod

1838. 12 points left over.

Enough CC Bite? Too much equipment on the DC?

Edited by Brother-Captain Lucius, 24 August 2012 - 02:03 AM.

Brother-Captain Lucius

Brother-Captain Lucius

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 778 posts
Another win vs. Blood Angels today. Currently at 8 Wins / 1 Loss at 1500 points.

Have been looking at more and more 1850 lists for a tournament in October and Pedro is becoming more and more attractive.

Brother Sergeant Scarus

Brother Sergeant Scarus

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 303 posts

Another win vs. Blood Angels today. Currently at 8 Wins / 1 Loss at 1500 points.

Have been looking at more and more 1850 lists for a tournament in October and Pedro is becoming more and more attractive.

Good work,

What kind of lists have you been playing against?

I don't ever play at 1850, so I'm not sure about that list wise (1500 is the usual tournament level around here :rolleyes:).

Out of interest, have you come up against Necrons or Dark Eldar yet?
Malithos looked at his brothers in raw disbelief for a moment, before tilting his head at the First Captain. "Are you mad, Sevatar?"

"I don’t think so. I feel fine."

"How would you stop us?" asked Var Jahan.

"I’d kill you, of course. What kind of question is that? But let’s hope we don't reach that point. Emotions are running high, and my spear is all the way over there...''

Brother-Captain Lucius

Brother-Captain Lucius

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 778 posts

Good work,

What kind of lists have you been playing against?

I don't ever play at 1850, so I'm not sure about that list wise (1500 is the usual tournament level around here :cuss).

Out of interest, have you come up against Necrons or Dark Eldar yet?

Hey, sorry for not getting back to you earlier, Guild Wars 2 came up :angry:

The majority of lists I have been facing have not been flyer heavy as they just haven't picked up in my area yet and people can't afford an army of them. I'm typically playing armies with 1-3 fliers and will be taking the 1500 list to a Tournament this weeekend.

I have played Necrons and don't think I'll ever be playing DE, there's like 3 people in the Country that play them consistently.