The Wardens and The Shriven - Angels of Absolution Mystery

xnickbaranx

Hey, I'm trying to track down someone who has the 4th Ed C:DA pre-print of the Codex that leaked a couple months before the real release of C:DA. Here's why:

"I'd like to go back in time to February/March 2007, shortly before the 4th Edition Codex: Dark Angels came out. During those cold winter months that were just about to transition into spring there was a leaked version of the Codex. It was a pre-print copy, already organized into its rough layout, leaving empty boxes where the art was supposed to go, but it presented the rules and fluff for the Dark Angels in a state just before finalization. I recall there being something different about Scouts in that version that differed from the final version released, but most importantly, I vividly recall the blurb about the Angels of Absolution had me frothing. You see, it was the same blurb from C:DA page 75 discussing how their take on the rift in the Dark Angels is perceived, and it detailed the same pursuit of the Fallen on Archangel VII, except it named the 1st and 2nd Companies of the Angels of Absolution the Wardens and the Shriven. When the final version of the codex was printed, these references were removed in preference of calling them just the 1st and 2nd Companies. I, sadly, have no proof of this, but I recall it vividly. Does anyone have that pre-release C:DA hidden in their hard drives to confirm this? I remember being so disappointed this reference was removed and that they were not depicted in the hobby guide section of the Codex."

Full blog post here:

http://2ndcitywarzone.blogspot.com/2012/07...-angels-of.html

Here's a pretty picture of Angels of Absolution so you didn't click on this for nothing:

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-2BDhYLMzon0/TpTFsi2rb7I/AAAAAAAAAVM/lFeJ-JUbNB8/s1600/IMG_1447%5B1%5D.JPG

Thanks for reading. Does anyone remember what I'm talking about? I can't have imagined the whole thing.

-Nick

Love your models.

Can't remember the English pre-release codex details well enough and I certainly don't have a copy of it. Seems nobody else does either. However I did have one in another language, but I'll need to check at home later.

But why do you need proof anyway? If you like the names 'Wardens' and the 'Shriven' use them anyway. As it was never published it doesn't matter that you can't prove your point. The names sound cool in their own riight.

Cheers

I

Just to confirm, a leaked non-English version contains no reference to those names you mentioned – just to 1st and 2nd Companies. I'm guessing it was a final version revised to follow the English.

Hey, thanks for the reply.

Why would I want to know?

Mainly to verify I'm not insane. Haha.

Also, because those names might emerge again. Plus, someone may have recognized the reference and have something to add. You never know what might have prompted their initial inclusion. Though I could see them removing it so as not to be battered with questions about symbols and color schemes if they hadn't thought that out.

I just wanted to confirm it happened and mine for additional info.

Since its not in the Angels of Absolution wiki it leads me to believe I'm the only person who took notice, which is bizarre.

Archived