I have been recently painting a lot of Doom Legion marines for local campaign and tournaments and I would be glad to share some of my work with you. After all, this is where I search for inspiration too. Let's get to the pictures first.
This is what I have right now of these metallic marines. I have been playing them with Black Templars Codex and using Death Korps of Krieg allies, of which I am not allowed to show here if I've understood correctly? Playing templars is the reason I have magnetized the weapon option for one of the terminators if for some reason I want to use the vanilla marines dex. Of cource, these are usually my Marshal's command squad. The other marine is usually my Emperor's Champion btw.
And because I know people want to know how I painted these (at least I would want to know) I have here the secret recipe with some (un)necesary extra opinions.:
First prime black. I go for the Army Painter Matt Black Primer spray for I have noticed that even when I use it too much, it will not obstruct details. When drying the paint somehow shrinks around the details? Then by using a large brush, I paint two layers of Vallejo Model Air: Gun (metallic). This paint rocks as it is already thin enough to start painting directly from my palette as it is meant for airbrushes. With two thin coats I get even coat over black primer with just the right amount of shine. Oddly enough, when airbrushed on, this paint gives too matt finish for my liking as you might see from the Emperor's Champion. I have been using a regular brush ever since for applying it. Also the dark shade of the metal is much for my liking.
Next I will wash the recessess/joints of the model with undiluted Badab Black wash. I have tried the new GW black wash (Nuln Oil?) but somehow I find my old Badab Black better in shading with one coat, it seems also to run smoother to the recessess. I do not know what to do after my 3 spare bottles have been used. Suggestions?
Ok, next I do edge highlights with GW Runefang Steel. I use it straight from the pot after first adding some water to the pot and mixing well. I even have a junk piece of metal in the pot to help in mixing while shaking.
From there on I use black to paint all the black parts. I then highlight them with a ready made mixtures of black and Vallejo Game Color Sombre Grey. I think it is Shadow Grey in the old GW paint names. Anyway, the first mixture is black with a hint of Sombre Grey and the second highlight is around equal parts of black and Sombe Grey.
The green parts are first painted with GW Orkhide Shade (old Foundation-series paint) followed with Vallejo Game Color Sick Green for the first highlights. After that I was all the green areas with GW Thraka Green wash. To get more contrast a bit of GW Moot Green is added to the highest parts.
All the bony bits are painted with Vallejo Game Color Bonewhite, washed over with GW Devlan Mud and re-highlighted with Bonewhite.
All the chapter badges have been added with waterslide transfers. First I photocopied the Doom Legion symbol from the Codex: Space Marines and edited it with Adobe Illustrator (a vector graphics program) to get a vector form of the badge. The I just scaled it to different sizes and printed it on empty waterslide transfer paper made for these things. Bought mine from ebay. Other decals are from various Forge World decal sheets.
The bases were first primed with GW Khemri Brown (one of the old Foundation-series paints again) the drybrushed with equal mix of Khemri Brown and Vallejo Game Color Bonewhite (old Bleached Bone equivalent) and finally drybrushed with pure Bonewhite. After it I add some GW Dead Grass to the bases with superglue. In the meantime I make a mixture of Woodland Scenics Light Green Underbrush, matt varnish and water. The scatter gets soaked wet and is ready for applying directly to the bases. After the varnish has dried, the bushes are solid enough to paint over. After the grass and bushes have been totally dried (the following day) I wash over the whole base, bushes, grasses and all with GW Devlan Mud wash. After this has dried a further drybrushing with Bonewhite is applied to bring out the detail.
Black scratchmarks are either painted with brush and underlined with white or in the case of vehicles just sponged with black. The Blood visible on various models is Tamiya Clear Red mixed with some black and applied with a sponge.
I am sorry for the poor pictures. I am in no parts a photographer and these were the best my new iPad could do.
Please, if you have any inquiries, just ask. I'll be glad to help!
Edited by Scythas, 01 August 2012 - 08:22 PM.