Scythas' Doom Legion

Scythas

When I first saw those terminators on FW I thought they were pretty cool but they look awesome how you painted them. Nice seeing some Doom Legion. The color combo of the metal, black and green is striking to me.

Your army is brilliant, gorgeous, amazing and I love it.

I wish my Silver Skulls looked that good.

Did I say I love your army?

Honestly, when I was finally picking a SM chapter to do, it was a toss up between Doom Legion and Silver Skulls. Silver Skulls had more background out there and that's what hooked me.

furioso-prime:

I'll check those small local art stores when I run out of my badab black for sure. :tu: Concerning the P3 Armor Wash, I indeed have already ordered that some months ago, but it was in short supply everywhere and I could not get my hands on it. Your link has in in stock still and it does - never amazed enough - ship to Europe. Maybe I'll order a bottle or two.

Heru2012 and others:

Thanks! When I was painting those terminators I had no clue on how to paint the sword, I just knew it had to look amazing. That is actually third try on the sword as I first noticed was that not other color would work than green. They would bring too much incohesion to the model. So I first painted the whole edge black with highlights as explained earlier. Then I painted a straight line of light green (Moot Green with white?) in the middle of the blade in approx. 45 degrees to the edge. Then all the rest from that line to the base with the same green. Also those green lines from the middle to the apex were painted with that color. Then I just added some white to the mix and made part of it very wet. With this whitey-wash I painted all the receccess in the base of the sword and also the middle line where the power cable thingy goes. Also those triangular shapes were painted with this. Then I made a darker shade of the original green, much close to the Sick Green I use, and painted the centers of the triangles with it. Then I diluted it a bit more and shaded the black apical part of the sword from the part closest to the cutting edge.

What actually happened was that I mixed these steps in experimental manner back and forth, but that is how I would do it again.

Brother Kirus:

Cheers! Currently I am very into a Mortis pattern Contemptor Dreadnought with dual Kheres pattern Assault Cannons, but it might take a while when I first paint all the £400 worth of Krieg coming in tomorrow via UPS.

eetdestroyer:

I have some pics in the Finnish national forum Sotavasara.net, but please, let's not discuss them here as it might result in closing the thread. If anyone has a suggestion for some english speaking forum where to add pictures of those plus models yet to come, I'dd be glad to hear since Bolter and Chainsword is the only english forum I regularly visit.

Battle-Brother Ludovic:

Thank you! There are no Doom Legion models yet, though I have many other space marine models from different chapters lying around forming no cohesive army.

All other people:

Thank you for your praise, these are just my standard tabletop minis anyway. :)

Cheers,

Scythas

If anyone has a suggestion for some english speaking forum where to add pictures of those plus models yet to come, I'dd be glad to hear since Bolter and Chainsword is the only english forum I regularly visit.

The Ammobunker has a great community, so I'd suggest you have a look and see if you like it :)

Ludovic

Really good job. Thanks so much for sharing your recipe; these are some of the best silver metallic marines I've seen and the method is just what I like; the right balance between time taken and end result.

Well done Scythas, and thank you!

EDIT: Just a wuick question; I don't suppose many people have a doom legion force and there's very little in the background about them. Have you come up with any story or background for them?

Thanks.

• 4 weeks later...

Thank you for the comments!

Corvus Corone:

I have not yet had any time to spare for inventing stories or such, but I like to think them as a heavy siege army. Hence the large number of Tartaros pattern terminator suits to which they must have facilities to build on their star fortress Faithful's Deliverance. It has been mentioned in Apocalypse expansion book, that like Imperial Fists, Doom Legion is a siege chapter. I represent this in gaming terms by allying them with Death Korps of Krieg siege regiment and using the Doom Legion marines as the hard hitting force.

Talthus:

As someone previously spotted, that is the cloak of Forge World Hector Rex model, which was first glued on and then the gaps were filled/sculpted with green stuff.

Cheers,

Scythas

Colonel Falkenberg:

I am sorry to admit, but it is hand painted. If I recall correctly I first sketched the numbers and letters with a marker pen with small tip about 0.5mm, which I had further sharpened with a knife to a very sharp point. That is useful because you can wipe the marker off from the miniature if you are not satisfied and when you're ready just paint it with black along the lines. Then I just underlined them with a highlight color, in this case silver.

The greatness in painting is that if you do not get it right in the first place, just try again until you are satisfied!

Hope this help!

Archived