Master of the Forge

Iron Father Ferrum

Yeah, sadly I agree. When you consider that you can get a TFC for 100 pts, which comes with a servoharness techmarine (75pts) it makes it really hard to justify the poor techy, unless he's dedicated to repairs and servitor duty. even then, his cost is so questionable that hardly anyone ever fields them.

I'm holding out hope that the new edition will fix them. There's a new squad in that rumored model list called "Techmarine with Artificer squad" Who knows what it is, but sounds promising.

• 2 weeks later...
What are everyone's thoughts on a MotF/Techmarine with servitor retinue? I really want to like this unit but it seems that it has way too many cons over pros. Its a small size at only toughness 3 and 4+ armor, and the cost of such a unit can get expensive. It makes me mad that Inquisitors get more servitors at a lower cost, when techmarines are the ones that actually need them.

I used to run my MotF with a couple of tech servitors from time to time and they can be pretty useful. I treat them as a "temporary" buff for the Techmarine letting him repair better for longer and I'd imagine that they'd perform a similar role in 6th (having not used them for a while).

If you're not too concerned with squeezing every point for the best returns then they're a nice way of introducing some variety and options but they're not a great unit by any stretch of the imagination.

What are everyone's thoughts on a MotF/Techmarine with servitor retinue? I really want to like this unit but it seems that it has way too many cons over pros. Its a small size at only toughness 3 and 4+ armor, and the cost of such a unit can get expensive. It makes me mad that Inquisitors get more servitors at a lower cost, when techmarines are the ones that actually need them.

Also, in combat, even though they got servo arms, the T3 and 4+ save doesn't cut it with such a small squad. Until the cost drops down, I am thinking of rolling with just 1 and a harness + bike but that's almost a Tactical Squad bare bones. :-(

Why on earth don't Techmarines get their own transport like in the old Codex? That would have been worthwhile - transport choices - because, although I love the model, its shelved until I get pts spare.

What are everyone's thoughts on a MotF/Techmarine with servitor retinue?

There is one VERY good place for this...inside a Landraider Achilles :) But i prefer to lose the guaranteed repair, and team my MotF up with a more punchy squad (5x Sernguard) instead. Bit more practical that way. Who needs a Razorback!

I could see the tech + servitors working as backfield support if you had a vehicle gunline, but i'd at least want some heavy bolters in the squad in that case, and the cost for heavy weapons is so out of whack in the SM codex that it just doesnt make sense. I really hope they make it cheaper so that option can be viable.

There is a minor buff to this set-up in 6th. In 5th, if even a single character moved in the squad, the whole squad counts as moving. There's no mention of that in 6th, so it seems it's on a per model basis. The reason this matters is that your bolter/plasma servitors can still fire their heavy weapons normally if your techmarine moves to get into base contact with a vehicle during movement that turn for a repair check. I wouldn't call it a buff, since it should have always been that way, but good change.

Also, yes I agree...its complete crap that Inquisitors have infinitely cheaper and more viable servitors. At least that bodes well for what we might expect to see in the next SM dex.

So after quite a bit of play testing, I have found a niche for the techmarine. He makes a great squad buff, especially with the harness. Not only does he soak up ap 3 shots like a sponge, but he also serves as a great body guard for my epistolary. Just remember, look out sir allocations are to the closest model as of the new FAQ. 3+ cover on a ruin in your deployment zone for objective games is great. He is no slouch in combat either. My squad was challenged by a chaos lord with power sword and mark of khorne, the techmarine answered his challenge with a slap to the face from his servo arm :)

Just remember to keep him cheap. Don't put too many points on a one wound model. 75 points is the absolute maximum that I will ever pay for one. I also keep his bolt gun as it gives him something to do when he is out of harness weapon range.

Bottom line, I love my techmarine :D

You should have seen him the other day. A leman russ fires its battle cannon at the techmarine's squad, scoring a direct hit. The techmarine being at the front proceeded to pass 6 armor saves like a boss :huh: Next turn, the squad moves to exactly 12 inches away from the tank, only to get double sixes to charge. After the rest of the squad glanced the tank twice with kraks, my techmarine gave it a finishing blow with his bare hands (I wasn't sure if I still got my servo arm attacks if I used a krak grenade). Techmarine was mvp that game :)

Ha! awesome man, im glad you're reporting back on this. I've been wanting to try some embedded techies with the buffs they got in 6th. I'm glad to hear how well they're doing.

As far as the servo arms when using krak, yeah, i would say no other attacks of any kind. However...why would you use krak in melee with him if you could get 2 st8 servo arm attacks instead?

Actually, I would say yes to the servo arms and krak grenades in a single phase. After all, the wording of the servo-harness is that you get those in addition to your regular attacks -- in this case, your regular attack being a grenade.

I was gonna say that myself Deus, but then the rule book seems to be very explicit to say "no attacks, not ever, no exceptions or bonuses etc etc". I guess it's kinda up in the air. Technically it's not a bonus, but an entirely different attack profile, as if a different character is attacking, so i can see your argument. Definitely a fence case.

I think “grant the model a single extra attack” makes quite clear that it’s the model attacking, not another character while the first one places a grenade. :D

Another question.

What does folk think about the bike option of the MotF?

Too expensive and ignores his qualities as generalist or worth a thought?

I think it's a good idea. Though many run a bike for the MotF and his Conversion Beamer for obvious reasons I've always liked the idea of having a servo-harness. Modelling possibilities aside I think the mobility, toughness and inbuilt bolters all provide you with very clear benefits.

6th has motivated me to tackle my metal Thunderfire box I've had sitting around (Omnissiah bless me) and redouble my efforts to build my biker MotF :)

Archived