Welcome to The Bolter and Chainsword
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Conversion Contest?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
10 replies to this topic

Captain Cirrius

Captain Cirrius

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 253 posts
This may very well have already been suggested/done before.

If not, I would just like to propose the idea to the B&C administration for a Model Conversion Contest on par with the Golden Bolter. I have seen many OUTSTANDING conversions throughout the forum and it would be really awesome if they could get some recognition (and prizes :cuss ).

It would be structured very similarly to the Golden Bolter. Three categories, and each model must be based in some way, or represented, in a codex. Just some food for thought, B&C.

-Cirrius

*edit* I should quickly add that, if this does happen, the models should probably remain unpainted so as to not turn it into a "painting competition". Also, I have only been serious about this forum for a few weeks so if this has been done and I have simply not heard of it, feel free to laugh at me <_< ;)

Edited by Captain Cirrius, 09 August 2012 - 10:29 AM.

ETL_2013_02_Oath_Breaker.jpg

Aqui

Aqui

++ ARQUUS PRAELIA ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 7,392 posts

This may very well have already been suggested/done before.

If not, I would just like to propose the idea to the B&C administration for a Model Conversion Contest on par with the Golden Bolter. I have seen many OUTSTANDING conversions throughout the forum and it would be really awesome if they could get some recognition (and prizes :P ).

It would be structured very similarly to the Golden Bolter. Three categories, and each model must be based in some way, or represented, in a codex. Just some food for thought, B&C.

-Cirrius

*edit* I should quickly add that, if this does happen, the models should probably remain unpainted so as to not turn it into a "painting competition". Also, I have only been serious about this forum for a few weeks so if this has been done and I have simply not heard of it, feel free to laugh at me :) :geek:

Maverike Prime has, in the past ran conversion challenges, although I'm not sure if he has any plans to do another one any time soon.

With E Tenebrae Lux nearing the "finish line", I suppose someone might take start one up.

I might be able to enter it myself, as I'm currently planning a conversion/kitbash of a Rainbow Warrior Marine Character based on Greyall's awesome drawing ^_^

Edited by Aquilanus, 10 August 2012 - 02:51 AM.

Once, a Novice Cantus came to me, troubled and uncertain. A slip of a girl, only a few strides down the eternal path leading her to the Golden Throne. She asked me a question. She asked me how we can ever truly understand what faith is. I told her that there is no coin to measure what we feel in our hearts. There are no scales upon which we might weigh the faith of one woman against another. There is only duty and blood. There are only deeds and words. There is only the service to the God-Emperor, and the price that demands from each Sister can only be known by Him. But know that whatever fears must be faced, whatever hardships endured, that price is forever worth its full cost.
- Sister Katherine Elysius,
Daughter of the Emperor (later Imperial Saint Katherine)

Olis

Olis

++ REDEMPTIO CALIDUS ++

• ++ MODERATI CEDO ++
  • 15,374 posts
This is something I've also pondered. Rather than have a 'challenge' with guidelines and rules of a reasonably strict nature, perhaps something a bit more freeform is in order. I would suggest that if such a contest were to be initiated, maybe some sort of categorisation to seperate the experts from the rookies, to encourage those with only a modicum of experience or ability to enter and not be discouraged from participating when the heavy-weights rock up to the plate. Just a thought. :)
Posted Image
Posted Image

Cowriter of the Guilliman Heresy Project. First Thread. Second Thread.

B&C forum rules: Linky. Octavulg's IA guide: Linky. DIY Article Templates: Linky.

He that never changes his opinions, never corrects his mistakes, will never be wiser on the morrow than he is today. - Tryon Edwards

Kurgan the Lurker

Kurgan the Lurker

++ INQUISITUS EXTERMINATI ++

• +++ADMINISTRATUM+++
  • 18,582 posts

This is something I've also pondered. Rather than have a 'challenge' with guidelines and rules of a reasonably strict nature, perhaps something a bit more freeform is in order. I would suggest that if such a contest were to be initiated, maybe some sort of categorisation to seperate the experts from the rookies, to encourage those with only a modicum of experience or ability to enter and not be discouraged from participating when the heavy-weights rock up to the plate. Just a thought. :P

But as with painting contest how can we possibly confirm someones skill level? I could tell you I stink at converting (assuming you've never seen a conversion of mine) and then turn out to be a full time free lance sculptor that regularly does conversion work for people.

It isn't something that is realistic. It isn't like the Golden Demons where you physically have to present your mini so the 45 year old basement troll can't enter a mini in the "Young Bloods" contest and win.

The Cult of Orange -- None Can Withstand Our Color!
Duck Blind Miniatures - The website has been gone for a long time so I've put up a FaceBook page to show what photos I have left or may add in the future.
Duck Blind Minis IG - I do post on IG too but fair warning there are other things (mostly the gym) on here besides minis.
Kurgan's Twitter Feed

Kurgan's FaceBook Page

"And maybe the Traitor Legions would come to their senses, renounce the Ruinous Powers and return to the light of the Emperor." -- Ciaphis Cain on the likelihood of a Mawloc being scared off by a melta blast.

Selling off the PILE OF SHAME! Links to my ebay page for everything that is going up over the next 10 days:
Kurgan's Pile of Shame auctions

Captain Cirrius

Captain Cirrius

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 253 posts

This is something I've also pondered. Rather than have a 'challenge' with guidelines and rules of a reasonably strict nature, perhaps something a bit more freeform is in order. I would suggest that if such a contest were to be initiated, maybe some sort of categorisation to seperate the experts from the rookies, to encourage those with only a modicum of experience or ability to enter and not be discouraged from participating when the heavy-weights rock up to the plate. Just a thought. :)

But as with painting contest how can we possibly confirm someones skill level? I could tell you I stink at converting (assuming you've never seen a conversion of mine) and then turn out to be a full time free lance sculptor that regularly does conversion work for people.

It isn't something that is realistic. It isn't like the Golden Demons where you physically have to present your mini so the 45 year old basement troll can't enter a mini in the "Young Bloods" contest and win.

See thats why my idea is more official AND the rules have already been written and basically proven to work. I suggest just taking the exact guidlines as the B&C's Golden Bolter competition and simply transfering it to converting. I think that you will find A LOT of people will come out of the woodwork. I know personally that painting is not something that comes naturally to me, but converting models and being creative in that way is something that I love to do. I do think it should be on par with the prestige and official nature of the Golden Bolter (i.e. moderator refereed and possibly trophies/prizes). I realize that it's a long shot but I just feel like model converters deserve a certain amount of recognition as well.

Also I would STRESS that it be a requirement that no model is in any type of "finished stage" in the way of painting so that it does not become a painting competition.

Kurgan the Lurker: Is this something that would be possible in the future at least?

Kurgan the Lurker

Kurgan the Lurker

++ INQUISITUS EXTERMINATI ++

• +++ADMINISTRATUM+++
  • 18,582 posts
I can't say. Right now we don't want to launch any contests until the change over to 3.x. However we can't complete that until Argos' health situation is resolved to the point that he can if not do the work himself, get together with the person who would do it.

So for now it is something we can consider for down the road but I'm not going to say "for sure" on it at this point.

The Cult of Orange -- None Can Withstand Our Color!
Duck Blind Miniatures - The website has been gone for a long time so I've put up a FaceBook page to show what photos I have left or may add in the future.
Duck Blind Minis IG - I do post on IG too but fair warning there are other things (mostly the gym) on here besides minis.
Kurgan's Twitter Feed

Kurgan's FaceBook Page

"And maybe the Traitor Legions would come to their senses, renounce the Ruinous Powers and return to the light of the Emperor." -- Ciaphis Cain on the likelihood of a Mawloc being scared off by a melta blast.

Selling off the PILE OF SHAME! Links to my ebay page for everything that is going up over the next 10 days:
Kurgan's Pile of Shame auctions

Captain Cirrius

Captain Cirrius

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 253 posts

I can't say. Right now we don't want to launch any contests until the change over to 3.x. However we can't complete that until Argos' health situation is resolved to the point that he can if not do the work himself, get together with the person who would do it.

So for now it is something we can consider for down the road but I'm not going to say "for sure" on it at this point.

I respect that. Thankyou for listening to the idea :)

Olis

Olis

++ REDEMPTIO CALIDUS ++

• ++ MODERATI CEDO ++
  • 15,374 posts
@ Kurgan - Hmm. Fair point. Such an idea (along the lines of my suggestion) perhaps might have relied too much on goodwill. Oh well.
Posted Image
Posted Image

Cowriter of the Guilliman Heresy Project. First Thread. Second Thread.

B&C forum rules: Linky. Octavulg's IA guide: Linky. DIY Article Templates: Linky.

He that never changes his opinions, never corrects his mistakes, will never be wiser on the morrow than he is today. - Tryon Edwards

Captain Cirrius

Captain Cirrius

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 253 posts

Was wondering if their was any more discussion or thought on this idea or one like it?

Grotsmasha

Grotsmasha

++ TORTOR PUMILI ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 5,211 posts

Yep!!! In March I'll be running a Chaplain kit-bash comp in the PCA/WIP forum. The proposed rules can be found here

http://www.bolterand...-kit-bash-comp/

I'll be PMing everyone once the proper thread is opened.

Cheers,

Jono

Captain Cirrius

Captain Cirrius

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 253 posts

AWESOME! Consider me signed up. Nice to see someone doing this thumbsup.gif