Angels Sorrowful WIP (01/04/17 update: Sanguinor WIP)

• 2 weeks later...

Might be nice to see some company markings on that dread. Maybe on the other shoulder or the bare knee pad?

Power fist probably needs some more highlights but that could just be the picture. That effect is always a brave thing to attempt and can be a bit hit or miss.

Base looks amazing and the cheques look good as always.

Yeah I plan on putting the 2nd company Gothic "2" on the blank knee/shin pad ... I just don't have any of those decals left at the moment since there is only one per transfer sheet.

This isn't my best fist, I'll try to lighten it up later if I have time. But as things stand now, I'm running out of time and have to get stuff done so this is good enough for now. I was going to save my SG for last to reward myself, but I think I better pick up a box of them today and start working on them now so they don't get a rush job right at the end since they are my pride and joy.

Dreadnaught looks great!

Good idea on getting the Sanguinary Guard earlier. 3 vehicles can be done quick. I don't know if you've found a purple spray for your army, but maybe a close enough spray and a huge pot of wash, then some light dry brushing on edges, then picking out some details will make a set of vehicles look good enough really, really quick. 

Good idea Mapple, but I'd be concerned about colour matching since GW/Citadel doesn't do a Xereus Purple spray.

In any event, I did some construction on the SG today, and started by converting my "Honour Guard" banner bearer to a Sanguinary Guardsman since the banner is clearly a Chapter Banner not Company (NB I removed the III off the banner after I took the pic):

med_gallery_66537_10027_114805.jpg

• 1 month later...

Haha, busted! I thought I was just going to hide for a bit and my disappearance/lack of progress would go unnoticed ;) ...

But here's what happened. At the very beginning of November, the organizers of Astronomi-con sent out an email saying that they'd suffered several cancellations and that the "Imperium Besieged" event that I was preparing this army for would be delayed. They ultimately decided to move it to "some time in March" with and actual date to be determined at this point.

Upon hearing that news, my progress on the army pretty much came to a crashing halt. I had painted, since May, about 2000 points worth of stuff and still have only 2 Devastators with grav cannons, 4 Sanguinary guard jump packs, a Razorback, and two Rhinos left to do. But upon hearing that the tournament was postponed the hobby burn out that I'd been keeping at bay by the need to get this done in time for the tournament slammed me hard. I've done a bit of work since then, most noteably my Sanguinary Guard who just need their jump packs. But I think at this point I just need a bit of a break from the Angels Sorrowful. Probably pick up again after Xmas.

... plus the Blood Bowl bug bit me to add to my burnout on BA.

Guess I need to add a Carceres banner to my signature :)

• 1 month later...

As per my last post, I really took the foot off the gas after the event I was building up for got cancelled, but I've recently made some modest progress again. There is a tournament coming up in April (Astronomi-con Toronto) that I can bring 1500 points worth of my Angels Sorrowful to. All I need to finish off is the last tactical squad razorback and I'm good to go, although I also want to finish my grav devastators and their rhino for an alternative list then I'll play some test games to see which list I like best.

In the mean time, here's the second DC squad's rhino:

med_gallery_66537_10027_304618.jpg

med_gallery_66537_10027_553675.jpg

Looking at the pics, I think I'll add a drybrush of Steel Legion Drab (the colour of my troops' bases) to the Typhus Corrosion I did on the bottom to make it stand out a little more from the black. Otherwise I think this is done.

Thanks, brothers! As always, your comments encourage me.

I like the cheques chequers squares the most blush.png

Really annoyed I missed out on the DC Rhino and LR doors down.gif

Yeah, the chequy heraldry is my favourite part I must say, although it's fairly time consuming.

As for missing out on DC rhino and LR doors ... when did they stop selling them? I bought the doors for my DC rhino within the last month.They seem to still be on the site: https://www.forgeworld.co.uk/en-AT/Death-Company-Rhino-Doors

No DC LR doors though ...

Well, the Angels Sorrowful are going to see the tabletop for the first time ever this afternoon. My gaming buddy who moved away recently returned to town, so we arranged a match. He plays a fluffy Biel Tan force and games are always fun with him. I never actually used the Angels Sorrowful in a game -- all my battle experience is with Imperial Guard and Inquisition -- so this will be much needed practice and experience to get ready for Astronomi-con. Plus it will allow me to tinker with my list.

For today, my 1500 point force will be:

Sanguinary Priest with Jump pack

5 Sanguinary Guard w/ death masks, 1 power fist

5 Death Company with jump packs, 1 fist, 1 power sword

5 Death company with 1 power axe, rhino

5 Tactical Marines w/ combi plasma, plasma, LasPlas Razorback

5 Tactical Marines w/ meltagun, TLLC Razorback

5 Tactical Marines w/ combi flamer, heavy flamer (in Storm Raven)

Cassor the Damned (Raven)

8 ASM with jump packs, lighting claw, 2 meltaguns

Storm Raven w/ TLAC, TLMM

It really came home to me how much smaller a marine army is than Guard, as I pulled my Death Korps of Krieg army out of my carrying case, and put the Angels Sorrowful in.

Archived