Angels Sorrowful WIP (01/04/17 update: Sanguinor WIP)

Thanks brethren!

After several days of very high humidity and rain, I finally got him under coated/primed and intend to start painting tonight!

Also have one biker and one rhino to do and then I'll be ready for the tourney in a little over three weeks.

I played another battle today, the last one I expect to have time for before the tournament. I won quite decisively, playing another Astronomi-con mission. I thin this list works well with their scenarios. I think the final VP were something like 13-1 for me. I almost maxed-out on VP (I believe 15 is the maximum).

I didn't take pictures because I arrived late to the game and we were strapped for time.

We played a mission called "Err Supply". The description: After months of brutal combat, victory is still far from decided. Food, fuel and ammunition have run dangerously low. Many battle-torn armies have been forced to withdraw, unable to continue the fight. As dawn rises, aircraft engines can be heard. Supply pallets can be seen drifting from the skies by parachutes. Capturing these pallets might be the difference between life and death in the coming days...

Deployment was long table edges. The quirk to this mission was that at the start of the second game turn, the three supply pallets are deployed via grav-chute. Each will scatter from the centre of the table. Roll a scatter dice and 2D6. On a HIT, the Supply Pallet scatters the distance shown on the dice. In the case of an arrow, the Supply Pallet scatters double the distance on the dice!

My list was the same as last game. My opponent's list, from memory was:

Asurmen

9 Dire Avengers + Exarch in a Wave Serpent (Asurmen rode with them)

5 Rangers

5 Windriders w/ Scatter Lasers

3 Windriders w/ Shuriken Catapults

3 Windriders w/ Scatter Lasers (I think)

8 Warp Spiders + Exarch

4 Fire Dragons + Exarch in Falcon

3 Dark Reapers + Exarch

3 Dark Reapers + Exarch

I purposely chose second turn. I'll admit, the pallets scattered quite favourably for me. Two of them scattered right behind my wall of rhinos in central ruins of the table, then another one off to one side.

As usual, the Golden Host were very good. One SG squad killed a Dark Reaper Squad and a Ranger squad, and captured one of the supply crates on the bottom of turn 4 (last turn). The other SG squad accounted for a Dark Reaper squad and made a nice 9" charge to wipe-out a 9-elf Warp Spider unit, then ate his entire army's worth of shooting, dying in the process but absorbing a huge amount of firepower that would have otherwise hurt by obsec troops. The Sanguinor killed-off a Fire Dragon squad, then killed a weakened Asurmen.

I finally got to use my grav bikes and they were good. They really helped thin-out the Dire Avenger squad and took a wound off Asurmen who I was terrified of, owing to his 2+ armour and AP2 sword. The Devastators attracted a tonne of fire, but also helped to thin the Dire Avenger squad nicely.

The real heroes of the game was Squad Tarcisius, my Tactical Squad with combi-plasma, plasma, and LasPlas razorback. At the bottom of turn 4, they disembarked and captured one pallet while their razorback drove over to capture a second which was being contested by Asurmen and one remaining Dire Avenger. Squad Tarcisius then "double tapped" the Eldar with their plasma, combi-plasma, and bolters. This wiped out the last Dire Avenger, assuring victory, and brought Asurmen down to a single wound. That's how the Sanguinor was able to beat him up -- I rolled very well with the Sanguinor's re-rolls in challenges and inflicted 5 wounds on the charge. He failed only one but that was enough.

The only squad who didn't do anything was the Death Company plus Librarian, but they ate a ton of fire allowing other units to do what they needed to do so I was fine with that. This is essentially what the rhino DC are for in my view -- to attract fire and die gloriously, freeing others up to do what they need to do. They are a great distraction unit and at 160 points attract way more than 160 points worth of enemy fire.

Scouts were the odd men out although I suppose they served a purpose. People seem to really dislike having a unit hiding in their backfield. So while they died fast, they did attract the attention of most of the bikes and the Warp Spiders until I was ready to charge the latter.

Overall I'm very happy with the list and look forward to the tournament. Three weeks to paint the Sanguinor, a Rhino, and one biker!

• 2 weeks later...

So I've pretty much completed the Sanguinor. I'm fairly happy with how he turned out, but I feel that he is still missing "something" ... I think I should try free-handing some embroidery onto the robes similar to this: https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/564x/ea/3c/d2/ea3cd206de0e24fd005eec8a5fd5e456.jpg

What do you think?

gallery_66537_10027_113456.jpg

med_gallery_66537_10027_694464.jpg

Thanks, brothers! Maybe I'll leave any further additions alone for now and think about it ... I still have a rhino and a biker to finish within the next 10 days so best to focus on that.

@Charlo: that meme is awesome ... I'm saving it for whenever the "u wot m8" meme is appropriate in a thread! LOL

• 2 weeks later...

Well, the rhino is done and the biker is about 80% done so I shouldn't be up too late tonight. I'll post pics if I can but may be too busy ensuring all is in readiness for astronomi-con this evening.

Are folks here interested in detailed batreps or maybe since 8th is so close I should just take some random pics to give a flavour and write summaries?

I dunno, I always think detailed batreps are fun even when they're for older editions of the game, simply because I enjoy the opportunity to see a slice of narrative added to any game.  If you by chance happen to get a full-army shot of your forces I think that'd be a great way to take stock of your progress thus far!  (I didn't see one further back in the thread . . .)  :)

I've got three games of seventh coming up and I'm still planning on writing reports for them when time permits. At the end of the day, it's up to you; if you get some enjoyment out of writing them then go for it :tu:

Well I'm at Astronomi-con and got a passable amount of sleep last night.

There are a surprising number of Chaos armies. Very little xenos just a couple Ork armies and a couple Necron. None of the usual suspects of Tau or Eldar. Lots and lots of Marines. Some of the paint jobs are insane my army looks like rubbish.

I'm surprised to see a few flyer heavy armies. I've not seen such shenanigans at astronomi-con before. One Ork army has five flyers plus there's a Necron flying (croissant) circus. I came here for fun though and must remind myself of that and just enjoy.

First battle was against Word Bearers with tons of summoning. Things were looking very grim early on and he was spawning daemons like crazy. The Death Company even died to cultists!

However the Angels Sorrowful came on strong after the Golden Host arrived. The Grav Devastators killed his daemon prince in one shooting phase (Armorium Cherub for the win!) and one SG squad accounted for a squad of plague bearers, a squad of blood letters, a sorcerer, and 5 Word Bearers marines.

Sanguinor was beasting too until he got tied up with a Chaos Spawn unit which tar pitted him bad. He killed off a cultist squad, a plague bearer squad, and a level 2 sorcerer but only one spawn after that.

Game ended as a tie with a very slight edge to my opponent on secondary points.

Oof. I feel a bit guilty after game two. I tabled an Ultramarines army on trun three. Grav bikes killed a 3 man centurion unit and Grav devastators deleted a 5 man deep striking terminator unit. Sanguinor and SG took care of the rest.

His chapter master took on death company then a tactical squad charged into support the DC. They stomped the chapter master into the dirt to the loss of my librarian, one DC, and one tactical.

That was better than I expected, first because last time I attended I went 0-5-1 and then because of how brutal the lists were that I faced later in the tournament as I found myself (to my surprise) on the top tables.

I went in with the only goals being (1) win at least one game and thereby improve on past time's results and (2) have fun, so all around mission accomplished.

The only negative was my very last game versus a Ynnari list full of scatter bikes plus three crimson hunters (flyers). That army was not fun to play against. All the extra shooting he got was insane. That I was able to pull off a draw in that game was an accomplishment i guess (and maybe could have been a win if I didn't make a major tactical mistake then exacerbate it by failing a 6" charge) but it still kind of left a bad taste in my mouth and put a bit of a damper on the weekend. Overall it was fantastic though and as I said when I have find either later today or tomorrow I'll start a new thread of my experience including some batreps.

Archived