Angels Sorrowful WIP (01/04/17 update: Sanguinor WIP)

JamesI, thanks for your kind comments, and good idea regarding Astorath ... I was actually thinking last night that I could use the actual Astorath the Grim, too, since the codex says that he ministers to all of the successor chapters as well. It would certainly make sense that he would show up given my chapter's instability. But if I only want one HQ (or want a Librarian as my second choice) I could well use him to represent my Chapter Master Nicodemus Dolorosus -- however I've modeled Nico as a "counts as" Dante since my original plan was to go "Nipplewing".

Right now I'm just keeping my powder dry, and saving my money waiting to see what happens with the new codex before I make any new purchases.

JamesI, thanks for your kind comments, and good idea regarding Astorath ... I was actually thinking last night that I could use the actual Astorath the Grim, too, since the codex says that he ministers to all of the successor chapters as well. It would certainly make sense that he would show up given my chapter's instability. But if I only want one HQ (or want a Librarian as my second choice) I could well use him to represent my Chapter Master Nicodemus Dolorosus -- however I've modeled Nico as a "counts as" Dante since my original plan was to go "Nipplewing".

Right now I'm just keeping my powder dry, and saving my money waiting to see what happens with the new codex before I make any new purchases.

Good plan.  I'm hoping pure Sanguinary Guard (or at least Sanguinary Guard heavy) will be viable in the new codex as I love the Sanguinary Guard.

Good plan.  I'm hoping pure Sanguinary Guard (or at least Sanguinary Guard heavy) will be viable in the new codex as I love the Sanguinary Guard.

*applause*

I really like your idea! Very unique and personalized chapter. As someone who dabbles in writing this is a huge engine of cool ideas when it comes to the fluff, you can go in any directions. You got me thinking I might like to do this when I'm more experienced with the game.

Nice colors too. You did a great job on the chapter master.  ...

Two thumbs up! Creativity is a plus!

Thanks for all the compliments!

I'm looking forward to getting some more if these guys done. Need to do done regular tacticals or RAS soon I think to actually have some purple versus all these special colour troops.

Any Librarian blue colour recipes though?

I think I'm going to go with Caledor Sky -> Teclis Blue -> Lothern Blue with a Drakenhof Nightshade wash for the Libbies.

Since I've got so many unused GK lying around I'm going to make a jump pack libbie and a ground pounder. I think I'll give the JP version an infernus pistol since he'll be accompanying troops closer to the fight and it just feels "right" to have the leaders of my army so armed.

Question I'm struggling with from an aesthetics aspect: SG jump pack or DC jump pack for the Librarian? Same question for the Sanguinary Priest, actually, who as you can see from the pic currently has SG pack with wings. I'm vacillating in my mind back-and-forth, thinking that all the HQ types should have the most bling but SG are pretty revered. Could go with SG jump packs for all. I just want to keep it coherent -- all characters with wings? Just the HQ types? My honour guard is going to have just regular/DC jump packs and that includes the Sanguinary Novitiate. If I go DC packs on all Sanguinary Priests that would allow me to use the Novitiate as a full-blown priest when I want. Thoughts?

• 3 months later...

Well, it's been a long time, but here's an update finally -- hopefully I will pick up more momentum now that I've got this guy done. I have a combat squad of tacticals assembled and primed so we should finally have some purple marines soon. I'm going to try to complete a 10-man squad of tacticals and then reward myself with increasing the size of the Sanguinary Guard squad who will accompany Dante Nicodemus Doloroso into battle.

In any event, here is Desiderius Lachrymoso, Sanguinary Priest of the Angels Sorrowful.

med_gallery_66537_10027_196776.jpg

med_gallery_66537_10027_111292.jpg

In hind sight, maybe I should have glued him a little more towards the rear of the base, he looks a little like he's falling off the front of the base as-is. Oddly, he did not appear this way before basing/painting. He is perfectly stable thanks to the 32mm base though so I'm inclined to just leave him and finish the base tonight.

Looking good brother.

I like the white for the priest, it looks... preistly.

I'm just building up a successor chapter myself (check out my thread if you get the time) as I too find it difficult to get my models painted without a blog/thread to keep me focused.

I like the fluff you've come up with and I like that you arnt just going with a red paint scheme like so many other BA successors.

Purple is always cool.

I couldnt agree more. Even if its just a "like", makes me feel all warm and gooey. ^_^

When are we going to see some painted tac marines? If you can get them looking half as nice as the terminators on page 1, then you'll have a bad ass looking army in no time.

Well, I started the Naggaroth Night base coat on my first five tacticals last night so the first step has been taken. Can't say how long it will take to get them done though as starting next week I'll be really busy with work again for the rest of the month leaving very little time for painting.

Well, I started the Naggaroth Night base coat on my first five tacticals last night so the first step has been taken. Can't say how long it will take to get them done though as starting next week I'll be really busy with work again for the rest of the month leaving very little time for painting.

Do you hand prime or spray prime? 

• 1 month later...

Figure I better update this thread before I'm accused of threadromancy when I finally post some finished product!

The first combat squad of tactical marines is almost done. All I need to do is finish the banner attached to the sergeant's backpack and base them. In the mean time, I assembled one of the sergeants for my assault squads, armed with a lightning claw and storm bolter mostly for rule of cool. The Angels Sorrowful like their bling as much as any Blood Angel successor, so all the sergeants are fairly blinged-out. Angels Sorrowful sergeants are identifiable by the crests and laurels on their helmets. Tactical sergeants and captains get the transverse crests as the most senior members of the chapter (the Chapter Master has the biggest transverse crest -- using the Cato Sicarus model as he does).

med_gallery_66537_10027_195749.jpg

I plan on giving my assault marines white helmets instead of yellow, since I don't like the combination of yellow and purple. I promise, some purple marines are coming soon!

Whereabouts are you getting your crests from? I'm thinking of acquiring some for myself

I got them from Anvil Industry.

Transverse crest: http://www.anvilindustry.co.uk/Exo-Lords/Heads-helmets-crests/Large-Roman-Crest

Regular crest: http://www.anvilindustry.co.uk/Exo-Lords/Heads-helmets-crests/Small-Roman-Crest

Alright, I figured I'd better do a WIP shot of my first tactical marines, even if they're pretty close to being finished. Just need to do a lawyer or two on the gold stuff, basing, and that's pretty much it aside from the sergeant's banner. Oh, plus their squad marking on the right knee will be a white saltire on the blue background -- I just need to pick up a new pot of White Scar today since I hadn't closed my old pot properly and it dried up.

med_gallery_66537_10027_258269.jpg

I intend to assemble the rest of the squad that rolls with yesterday's sergeant today, maybe the other five members of this squad (4 more bolters and a lascannon) although the first chap to paint after these tacticals is my counts-as Raphen to round-out the Death Company. I will run them usually as Raphen mostly due to the composition rules at local tournaments where I would be heavily penalized for taking two expensive elites in the Sanguinary Guard and Death Company.

med_gallery_66537_10027_39962.jpgmed_gallery_66537_10027_60991.jpg

In the Angels Sorrowful, he is Brother Raphael, a Sanguinary Guardsman who fell to the Black Rage.

If you don't like painting the squad helmets to show their speciality, why not paint the sergeant's helmet crest to represent it instead?

Oh, I actually like having squad helmets painted different. I just don't think yellow will look good, so I'm going for a slight variation with white helmets on assault marines.

I will give Devastators blue when the time comes. Not sure what to do about vets, but I at present have no plans for fielding vets so I don't need to worry about that pro temp.

Here's another quick update. Nothing too big, but I did finish the banner and backpack for the Tactical Squad sergeant.

I therefore present Sergeant Tarcisius of the Angels Sorrowful:

med_gallery_66537_10027_113527.jpg

The only thing left to do is the company marking on the right shoulder pad and flock the base.

I'm going to hold off on doing the company markings until everyone's done because I'm still waffling over whether to attempt free-handing a 5 onto every pauldron, or try collecting enough of the 2 or 3 markings (arabic numbers, not Roman numerals, per the style of Lamenters' company markings) from the "Space Marine Transfer Sheet" to use decals and make them all 2nd or 3rd company.

Archived