Angels Sorrowful WIP (01/04/17 update: Sanguinor WIP)

I already posted this in the ETL thread, but wanted to put him up here as well for further discussion.

med_gallery_66537_10027_304729.jpg

Chaplain Pontius Contristatus.

After much internal debate, I decided to go with white wings and I am very happy with how it turned out. It gives a nice bit of contrast, I think.

Looks really good... I'm planning to paint this model for my second ETL vow. Just wondering, did you reposition the way he stands on the base at all? When I put that bit of rock he's standing on flat on the base he looks like he's leaning really far forwards. I'm thinking of tilting him back a bit somehow...

• 3 weeks later...

Finally, a bit of an update ... man, that Stormraven took way longer to finish than I thought it would. Big model with a fair bit of detail. Now just the grav bikers left to do to finish off vow #2. As we rapidly run out of time, I think my #3 vow is going to have to be more modest than I had originally intended but we'll see how quick I can finish off those bikers. Maybe do a small-ish vow #3 and then follow-up with a small vow #4 if time permits to be safe.

Anyway, here is the completed Stormraven:

med_gallery_66537_10027_93179.jpg

med_gallery_66537_10027_134531.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I'm closing-in on completion of vow #2 and planning vow #3 ... going to try for a much better points:painting ratio, so doing my counts-as Mephiston and a Furioso (maybe two).

I'm looking for some suggestions on painting the Furioso. I'm kit-bashing a Venerable Dreadnought kit with Furioso kit. I'm going with the sarcophagus that's pictured on the front of the Venerable Dread box and am wondering what colour I should paint the pilot's helmet?

I am vacillating between purple (standard/tactical head/no special "role") head, gold (Sanguinary Guard/highest ranks), and silver (Vanguard Vets and Sternguard).

I'm really not sure what would be most appropriate. I can see arguments for any of the three options. Once in a dreadnought, the marine ceases being what he was before (1st company veteran, captain, assault marine, etc.) so purple could be appropriate. On the other hand, Furiosos are the honoured venerable dreadnoughts of our chapter and successors, so silver for a veteran or gold for the extra honour would fit. In the Angels Sorrowful the Sanguinary Guard are gold and my counts-as Mephiston will wear a death mask in gold along with blue nipple armour. I'm planning silver for 1st company veterans but I have not actually painted any.

Another update. I will definitely complete vow #2, but the question is how much I'll be able to do for #3 since this vow is taking much longer than I thought it would (as compared to vow #1 which I did in two weeks). Anyway, I finished up the sergeant of the biker squad, but for the basing which I will do when his two compadres are painted:

med_gallery_66537_10027_75600.jpg

I'm thinking vow #3 will be my chapter's counts-as Mephiston, and a Fragioso dread. I am having a Warp of the time deciding between the many options in the Venerable Dreadnought box however. I definitely want one of the sarcophagi where you can see the pilot's head sticking out but can't choose between the two. Here's a look at the two options with the frag canon and magna grapple installed:

OPTION A

med_gallery_66537_10027_31609.jpg

OPTION B

med_gallery_66537_10027_11477.jpg

What do the brethren think?

Of course, there are so many options in that box. I could go crazy with the different panels to either side of the sarcophagus. I am leaning a bit towards Option A as you see it, or going Option B sarcophagus with the side panels that look like cathedral arches for a more gothic look (but a bit less bling since the battle honours would be gold). Decisions, decisions ... I'd value some input from others. Thanks.

Firstly, that biker looks fantastic!

As for the Dread, I always loved that Venerable kit and have long been planning to do a Furioso from it myself! Aesthetically I prefer option A, although as Father Mapple says the battles listed are centred around the Ultramarines so depends how tight you want to be fluff-wise...

I like A personally.

If you are looking for an option C however, when I did my Fragioso, I actually left the little front plate off so you can see all the inner detail of the Sarcophagus, looks pretty brutal:

http://i1380.photobucket.com/albums/ah177/nevscorner/Snapchat-250284345360076697_zpszcpmacmd.jpg

Thanks for the thoughts and opinions, brothers.

I didn't realise that the battle honours are specific to Ultra Marines, I thought they were more generic. I'm sure for 99% of people I face in games won't care at all, but I myself am a bit of a "fluff Nazi" so this is giving me second thoughts about using those panels. I am thinking maybe of using the panels with gothic arches in combination with the "option B" sarcophagus.

The exposed pilot looks pretty cool too, but that seems a bit more fitting for a death company dreadnought to me ... the Angels Sorrowful are really a paradox. They are falling to the Black Rage faster than almost any other BA successor and they get plenty crazed in the midst of battle, but they work very hard to fight against this and cover it up and this is part of why they have so much "bling" and Ultra bitz used for conversions. They try to focus on the noble and artistic aspect of their bloodline as a way of counteracting the savagery. So I want to have the pilot covered up. Cool idea though.

Thank you, brothers. I value your input.

Fragioso with the gothic arch sidepanels it is!

I made good progress on the bikers last night and I think I will be able to finish them (and vow #2) off tonight. That still gives me a solid three weeks for vow #3. I think I will do my counts-as Mephiston and the Fragioso. I think I can probably accomplish another Dreadnought or my Damocles, but think I'll play it safe and do a fourth vow if #3 is done with lots of time to spare.

I also have my 5-man footborne bolter Death Company waiting in the wings ready for paint. Since black is faster than purple, I MIGHT do them if I think I have time. But they're not as efficient points: time so may just do them after ETL. For now I need to maximize the painting of quick to complete stuff that's worth lots of points!

Bikes done! And with that, Vow #2 in ETL is complete as well.

med_gallery_66537_10027_127583.jpg

med_gallery_66537_10027_74620.jpg

med_gallery_66537_10027_105612.jpg

And I think, with that completion, it's a good time to update the progress on my army list for Imperium Besieged (red = not purchased/not assembled, yellow = assembled/unpainted or partially painted, green = complete):

MAIN FORCE

Chaplain

Damocles Command Vehicle

Furioso Dreadnought, Pod

7 Death company with jump packs, power fist, power sword

5 Tacticals, hvy flamer, lasplas razorback

5 tacticals, melta, lasplas razorback

5 tacicals, combi flamer, flamer, lasplas razorback

8 ASM, jump packs, 2x hand flamer

3 bikes, 2 grav

Attack bike with MM

OFFENSIVE SIDEBAR

Sanguinary Priest, Jump pack

5 Sanguinary Guard

5 ASM, jump packs 2 melta

Stormraven w/ TLAC, TLMM

DEFENSIVE SIDEBAR

Mephiston

Dreadnought w/ AC, Pod

5 Death Company, bolters, 1 power axe, rhino

5 Tacicals, combi plasma, plasma, Pod

5 Scouts w/ camo cloaks, power sword, CCW/BP

Progress has been made, but there's still a ways to go! Finishing the Offensive sideboard is within my reach within the timeframe of ETL. If I have time for a vow #4 I think I'll finish off that 5 man "meltacide" squad.

Just a couple WIP shots of the Lord of Death, Angels Sorrowful style:

med_gallery_66537_10027_51350.jpg

med_gallery_66537_10027_244044.jpg

Personally, I'm quite happy with how he turned out. I hope to finish his back banner and base tomorrow, then it's on to the Fragioso. I think I can realistically finish my ETL vow by next weekend. If I'm done sooner I may risk a fourth vow.

Archived