Angels Sorrowful WIP (01/04/17 update: Sanguinor WIP)

• 3 weeks later...

@Captian Helion -- I actually saw a kid at the park the other day with camouflage pants that were light brown, dark brown, purple, and navy blue. It looks pretty cool so maybe I will give it a try.

In the mean time, I finished a second Death Company Squad and am now kicking myself for painting these before Tactical Marines as my desire to maximize on painted models for the tournament is now warring with my desire to use Angel's Blade and if I'd spent the time I used on these five on Tactical Marines I'd have a much easier choice!

med_gallery_66537_10027_8914.jpg

Yes, but Death Company!

Which is why I painted them ... couldn't resist, I love my Death Company. And if at all possible I want to bring as many as possible to underscore the fact that the Angels Sorrowful are falling to the Flaw faster than most BA successors.

Very nice job on the Death Company. Good colors and clean, as always.

I'm in a similar spot with painting. It's 10 terminators and my arch angel 2000pt detachment is done, or 7 Death Company, then my 1850 all death company force is done. Then Angels Blade comes along, and I can't decide if Lost Brotherhood or Arch Angel Demi in a Blade detachment is the way to go based on my painted models.

Thanks for the compliments, Father Mapple.

Having taken a good look at the Lost Brotherhood, I am definitely going to work towards that for future events. That loadout looks right up my and the Angels Sorrowful's alley with lots of death company and fast-moving support elements. In the mean time ...

FLUFF QUESTION: browsing on GW's site, this guy caught my eye. It's obviously 30K, from the Betrayal at Calth box set I believe.  So I take it that this could be used to represent a chaplain wearing an extremely ancient set of power armour.

My questions are: (1) I assume that the colour scheme portrayed is pre-heresy chaplain colours and it was later that they adopted black?

(2) Would a successor chapter have access to a suit of such antiquity, or would only the first founding and maybe second founding have stuff that old?

That's probably Artificer Armour based on MKIV or maybe even regular MKIV. At least the latter still exist. The Carcharodons Astra are depicted having lots of MKV parts with some MKIV and MKIV, so it would not be implausible for some suits of MKIV lying around in some chapters' armouries.

As to the colour scheme, before and during the Heresy there were much fewer rules about chaplains. some legions had them, some didn't, and only some of them had black power armour. I'd think a chaplain in 40K would have it painted black, no matter what colour it was initially.

I got some in my successors army! And even a white chap now, but that is to represent the DC chap relic armor...

Despite how much it goes against the fluff, some of my chaps will not be black and not where a skull helm. My justification is that the armor/helmets date back to the Heresy and they want to use he relic helm and armor of one of the BAs first chaps instead of the more traditional look...

What I meant was pre heresy chaplains wore the legion's colours. There is also a version of that model in ultramarine colours on GW's site.

Heresy era Blood Angels ones wore Black according to Lexicarnum referencing a novel I have not read.

But there's nothing to stop a Chaplain wearing any colour. Personal heraldry for high ranking officers is a thing (BA Captains wearing Gold aren't exactly following the Codex either). The official Death Company Chaplain only wears 50% black.

(2) Would a successor chapter have access to a suit of such antiquity, or would only the first founding and maybe second founding have stuff that old?

Only first and second founding chapters would preserve a stock of old armour, but there's always old supply depos to loot and there are characters who have equipment that was a gift from another chapter.

I dig that 30k style chaplain and his bling, but given the fluff I've written for the Angels Sorrowful it seems extremely unlikely they'd have such armour in their repertoire unless perhaps it was gifted by a dying ally on some battlefield. Hmmm that might actually be kind of cool.

Anyone interested in having a character from their BA company or second founding successor be the donor?

... Or I may just go with the Reclusiam command squad chaplain. I think I may have even seen an old stock of that box locally.

Feel free to say you got it from the blood Revenants... We go around or did go around and try to find as many old BA relics as possible and were from a 30k BA company that got stuck in the warp during the scouring and popped back a a 1000 or so years later where they were made into a successor and not allowed to rejoin the BA according to the HLoT (what jerks!).

I have all kinds of excuses to use old relics lol

Sounds good, Brother Lemartes!

I love it when I have a background to my models, and like it even better when I can get brethren from the B&C/their armies worked into it as well. I did an Inquisition warband where the members were themed off Guard forum members who read and posted to my WIP thread.

The cheapest Reclusiam chaplain I could find on eBay was $30 +shipping, but can get the Betrayal at Calth chaplain (which as far as I can tell is the same model as the picture I linked to) for $10 shipping included. So that seems to be the way to go. I'll figure out a battle where the Blood Revenants and Angels Sorrowful fought side-by-side and a set of old MkIV chaplain armour was inherited.

That sounds awesome! The Revenants look forward to joining the Sorrowful in battle!

If it helps at all, the Revenants were very reclusive when first founded and had sort of a disdain towards this new imperium they found themselves in. They went around hunting any CSM they could find while locating and "safe keeping" relics , as many relics as possible BA or other wise. They thought it was shameful that they were left behind in the first place. In recent times, the new Chapter Master is changing all of that and trying to reach out to other successor's to strengthen their bonds. The currently unnamed Chapter Master has had visions of a dark future that would require the full might of the BA legion to fight against it...

Yeah that model is great! He comes with a very nice crozius. You could even convert/kitbash two crozius'? out of the one he comes with...

His back pack is connected to part of his cape, so you may have to do some fiddling to get him a jump pack... if you even wanted to do that

I read-up on the fluff in your WIP thread and I could see the Revenants and Angels Sorrowful having some comraderie once operating in the same theatre. Both are somewhat reclusive and unjustly suspected by the powers that be. They seem to have some similarities in combat doctrine combining brutality with a desire not to waste lives unnecessarily. Sounds like a good match glad you volunteered!

I actually specifically chose that model because this will be my foot chaplain who rides with the jump pack-less ASM in the Stormraven in my current list.

Chaplain Acheron

Captain Macer of the 2nd Company "The Bloodborne"

I remember thinking I had some time to come up with names, waited a few hours, and came back to see the site was down lol.

I did just make up that nickname for the 2nd company. I really like "the blooded" for the BA 2nd so I did something similar. Though, this name originates from the first 2nd company Capt and how it was formed, not a special ritual like the BA. Basically right after the Revenants were forced to make their own chapter and divide into companies, they were having trouble deciding how to break themselves up. A group of them fought it a very gruesome and bloody battle that would have been a massacre on the Imperium if the Revenants hadn't showed up. By the end of the battle, all the remaining marines and this Capt were completely covered in blood. They were made into the 2nd company and nicknamed "The Bloodborne"....

Probably didn't need all that info and I'm clogging up your thread with my chapters lore lol

Finished two tactical squads last night, I am now finished the three tactical squads for my Demi-Company.

Squad Theodosius (II squad, 2nd Company)

med_gallery_66537_10027_250820.jpg

Squad Hadrian (III Squad, 2nd Company)

med_gallery_66537_10027_504446.jpg

Time for another colour-coded look at my progress on the re-vamped list:

Red - not assembled/not purchased

Yellow - assembled/primed/partially painted

Green - Complete

MAIN FORCE

Chaplain

Furioso Dreadnought w/ Frag Cannon

Dreadnought w/ MM

Tactical marines (5) w/ plasma, combi plasma, LasPlas Razorback

Tactical marines (5) w/ melta, TLLas Razorback

Tactical marines (5) w/ heavy flamer, combi-flamer, LasPlas Razorback

Assault marines (5) (need to break jump packs off and magnetize regular packs, need to build sergeant)

Devastator marines (5) w/ 2x MM, Rhino

Bikes (3) w/ 2x grav

Sanguinary Priest (although if I run out of time, I may just bust the jump pack off the one I have and magnetize on an apothecary pack)

Stormraven

OFFENSIVE SIDEBAORD

Dante Nicodemus Doloroso

(7) Sanguinary Guard, 2x Power Fist, Chapter Banner, Death Masks

(6) Sanguinary Guard, 2x Inferno Pistol, Death Masks

DEFENSIVE SIDEBAORD

DC Chaplain

Death Company (7) w/ PS, PF, jump packs (4/7 complete)

Death Company (5) w/ Power Axe, Rhino

Cassor the Damned

Scouts (5) w/ power sword, cloaks

Slowly but surely, progress is being made! Last night after finishing the tacticals, I assembled my foot chaplain for the main force, as well as the Devastator sergeant. I will assembled 3/4 of the remaining Devastators but to my chagrin there is only one multimelta in the devastator kit and multimelta bitz are shockingly expensive on eBay so I'm going to keep looking.

Archived