Angels Sorrowful WIP (01/04/17 update: Sanguinor WIP)

You forgot your dice and you're blaming the loss on the strength of xenos? The machine spirits in the xenos dice obviously sabotaged you, don't blame anything else. msn-wink.gif

Haha! True!

Although I must say my dice weren't particularly bad. The Furioso's drop pod scattered pretty poorly, but the SG made their crucial 8" charge so those things balance out.

I feel like I deployed the Furioso all wrong, but on the other hand I don't know where I should have put it. Any thoughts?

I think deep-striking the ASM was the wrong choice against this list as well. It only has two "tanks" and they were positioned such that deep-striking close enough to shoot them was too dangerous. I love my ASM so I'm loathe to leave them out entirely. Maybe having more bodies on the board would have worked.

In my Golden Host list, I may try dropping the ASM in favour of beefing-up the grav bikers and bringing a second unit of scouts and sprinkling locator beacons (which I assume work with deep striking jump troops?) to decrease the likelihood of deep strike mishaps for the Golden Host.

All that said, I think the list was decent. It weathered the storm long enough to get into some close combat and wrecked face once in there, so it actually came fairly close to holding it's own against a list much stronger than anything else I'm likely to face at Astronomi-con. I need to get my hands on some Astro missions. Many of them only allow you to deploy 1 HQ and 2 Troop to begin the game and the rest arrive from reserves. This would significantly reduce the Eldar shooting, although those jet bikes pump out 20 Str 5 or 6 (can't remember) shots per 5-man squad so he can easily glance my razorbacks to death. That's pretty disgusting for a 100 point unit.

Upon closer inspection, I see that there's a distinction between teleport homers and locator beacons. Tactical and scout sergeants only have access to the former, which only works with terminators. Scout bikes and drop pods work with the latter which is good for all deep strikers. So I think that for my Golden Host list, I need at least one pod with a beacon and 2 scout bike squads if possible.

What do you think of:

GOLDEN HOST

Sanguinor

5 SG, 3 sword, 2 axe, 2 inferno

5 SH, 3 sword, 2 axe

CAD

Chaplain

5 tacticals, plasma, LasPlas Razorback

5 tacticals, melta, TLLC Razorback

5 Death Company, rhino

3 scout bikers, locator beacon

5 Devastators, 2 grav cannon, rhino

Clocks in at 1497

Alternatively could have 2 bike squads and add combi gravs to sergeants, an axe on the death company, maybe an extra body in a bike squad or both.

What do you think of:

GOLDEN HOST

Sanguinor

5 SH, 3 sword, 2 axe

CAD

Chaplain

5 tacticals, plasma, LasPlas Razorback

5 tacticals, melta, TLLC Razorback

5 Death Company, rhino

Clocks in at 1497

Alternatively could have 2 bike squads and add combi gravs to sergeants, an axe on the death company, maybe an extra body in a bike squad or both.

Not bad, not bad at all.

DC have no business being in a Rhino though, give em packs along with the chaplain - because of the golden host they should be able to roll safe up the board. You can afford to drop a bike squad for sure, you get pretty big bubbles from two units to cover enough ground, and with a turbo boost and going to ground or hiding in cover you should be fine with two.

I'd also pop in a fist with the DC if you can. You won't regret it.

I really need to try out the Grav-Cannon Dev Rhino, looks like a solid shout especially with out speedy ones.

I know you might want to try the scout bikes out, but they've never earned their points for me. 4+ armor is the bigger problem than T4/5, and you can get a cover save from camp cloaks similar to junking without losing shooting. You lose maneuverability, but usually you don't need it with infiltrate, outflank, move through conver. And the upgrades to make scout bikes with it cost even more on top of that.

Otherwise, I think the list does what you want.

Charlo: thanks. My thought with DC in rhino is more armour saturation and survivability while waiting for the Golden Host to arrive. But I guess they only need to hold out one turn.

Father Mapple: scout bikes are the only unit that can get locator beacons though, so that's my reasoning for taking them.

Dont take the naked scout bikers - a rapid fire grenade launcher for the cost of a melta bomb is fantastic. Up to 3 in a unit is 6S6 hits, or 6 frag templates per turn, not to mentuion whatever the sergeant has.

I'd go:

3x scout bikers - 2 grenade launchers, combi grav, beacon, melta bomb 99pts. Prioritise getting a 4th biker with 3rd grenade launcher.

2 units like this will outperform 3 without.

• 2 weeks later...

I realised that I never did post a picture of my finished Devastator Squad:

med_gallery_66537_10027_29464.jpg

Additionally, last night I completed my second Sanguinary Guard Squad:

med_gallery_66537_10027_709426.jpg

med_gallery_66537_10027_606333.jpg

Next up, I need to finish off my second Tactical Razorback, and the Devastators' Rhino, and then I have enough models ready to go to bring various different lists to Astronomi-con at the end of April. My next battle will feature the Golden Host to see if that's the route I want to go. I'll proxy Nicodemus Doloroso (Dante) as the Sanguinor before I go out and build a Sanguinor I think.

You mean the "flames" on the jump pack engines? What I did is actually pretty lazy/simple. I just painted the engine areas white then did a somewhat haphazard/lazy/messy dry brush with an old brush using Ice Blue (I think the modern equivalent is Lothern Blue).

You mean the "flames" on the jump pack engines? What I did is actually pretty lazy/simple. I just painted the engine areas white then did a somewhat haphazard/lazy/messy dry brush with an old brush using Ice Blue (I think the modern equivalent is Lothern Blue).

Yeah I would've guessed exactly that. Doesn't look as difficult as those impressive airbrushed OSL ones but still incredibly good on the first glance. Perfect for above standard tabletop quality imo!

I've gotten a bit bogged-down trying to finish up the second Razorback but hope to make some progress tonight. Been sick a lot lately and have opted to go to bed early rather than paint of late.

In the mean time, I do have a question/seeking some advice from the BA brethren ...

As mentioned, I'm going to proxie Nicodemus Doloros as the Sanguinor for trying out the Golden Host. Assuming I like Golden Host as much as I think I will -- and keeping in mind that Astronomi-con forbids Lords of War so i must be Sanguinor not Dante -- I am trying to think of the best way to convert the Sanguinor. By chance, I found the perfect set of wings in my ancient WHFB bitz box. I don't want to go the route of simply doing a Sanguinary Guard with bigger wings though.

So far, I'm planning on getting the BA upgrade sprue to use the chalice, iron halo, death mask, and one of the torsos. I plan on using Conversion World's Red Angels sword for Sanguinor's glaive. I have a spare SG jump pack ... so that just leaves the legs. Any ideas on what to do there that doesn't involve purchasing a whole box of SG? I had thought to use the C'Tan Nightbringer lower half as per a cool conversion I've seen but, man, the cheapest I can find on ebay is about $40. For $40 I could just go ahead and buy another SG squad. So I'm looking for other ideas ... given that the Angels Sorrowful are a bit more Roman-looking with a fair bit of Ultramarine bitz I scoured their line but saw nothing that would suit.

Whoa, cool ... never even knew about that model. Only problem is that he's on the ground, not flying, but he at least has an active pose, striding forward. There is definite potential there.

I considered doing an Astorath conversion and do a Sanguinor in flayed armour rather than gold. Would have the potential to be really cool, but the thing that held me back is that the Astorath model suffers from the same problem as the Sanguinor model -- he's really small next to the rest of the model line, isn't he?

Well, tomorrow I'm (hopefully) going to give Golden Host with Sanguinor a first test run.

What I'm decided on bringing:

GOLDEN HOST

Sanguinor
5 SH, 3 sword, 2 axe

CAD

Death Company Chaplain
5 Tacticals, plasma, LasPlas Razorback
5 Tacticals, melta, TLLC Razorback
5 Death Company, jump packs, PW, PF

... So with the leftover points I am debating between a few options:

Scouts with BP/CCW, camo cloaks, Power Sword

Bikes, 2x grav

or ...

Cassor the Damned in a FA Pod with beacon

or ...

5 Tacticals with combi flamer, heavy flamer, in a pod with beacon (and something else to round-out points)

or ...

Try proxying 2x Scout bike squads with combi grav, 2x grenade launchers each, and beacon

(The last being the only option I don't have the models for, hence the proxy)

Any thoughts?

Not a huge fan of Lasbacks, but I would suggest finding the points for a storm bolter there (Weapon Destroyed "save").

Other than that, the top option helps out the CAD and brings bikes :tu: but the power sword may be a waste. Depends if you want a cheap assault squad (better in a BSF) or something you can Reserve to grab home Objectives late on.

The other two give two CAD boosting units which can be a plus where necessary. Tactical are probably more versatile and Cassor will likely be focused.

Scout bikes will give you a decent alpha strike but I can't go into too much detail for them :(

Yeah, the scout bikes is mostly for the homing beacons, but maybe they are not so necessary since Golden Host can re-roll scatter, which means I have a pretty decent chance of not scattering beacon or no.

I'll admit, I got into the lasbacks based off of Morticon's lists ... I basically built my army as a Morticon list plus the stuff I love (Sanguinary Guard and Death Company). I've got to admit that they haven't exactly knocked my socks off and I kind of wish I'd gone with rhinos and more tactical marines instead but what is purchased and built is purchased and built and with the tournament 6 weeks away, the core of the army is pretty much non-negotiable.

I do prefer a CAD-boosting option. Tacticals in a pod probably boost the most since their pod with be objective secured as well. I'll mull it over some more before the game. Wish I had time to try multiple options tomorrow but we'll only have time for one game.

Archived