Angels Sorrowful WIP (01/04/17 update: Sanguinor WIP)

• 8 months later...

Well, it's been another long period between postings, but that new Chaplain model is so cool, that just looking at it helped me get some of my hobby mojo back and I finally painted-up Brother Raphael (counts-as Raphen), the fallen Sanquinary Guard who leads one of the Angels Sorrowful Death Company squads:

med_gallery_66537_10027_440313.jpg

med_gallery_66537_10027_414289.jpg

Hmmm ... just noticed I missed a pretty brutal mould line on the hammer there. Sigh ... I really hate it when I don't notice those until AFTER the model is fully painted. But at least the hammer is fairly easy to repaint. Anyway, it feels good to be back in the saddle somewhat after many months of feeling hobby burnout and not doing anything. I'm going to try finishing up my two tactical squads over the coming weeks then start doing Assault Marines and more Sanguinary Guard.

EDIT: Added second pic that I accidentally neglected to insert into the post first time around.

Trying to built-up some momentum off of the other day's success with Brother Raphen. Worked on two more Tac marines last night.

I'm so slow that there's little point in doing much assembly-line work since in a 45 minute session I could only do my Xereus Purple layer on two minis (plus Genestraler highlight on the one on the left). Colours seem a bit washed-out for some reason on these pics ...

med_gallery_66537_10027_653898.jpg

I really enjoyed catching up with this thread, and hope you continue to feel inspired to keep going further.

1) I adore your chapter as it directly connects to my far-favorite topic of Warhammer 40K, those bleeding heart Lamenters.

2) Purple is a challenging color choice, but it seems very rewarding from the photos you've shared. You're redeeming the color for me; in my head canon I've previously associated the color with Chaos (Emperor's Children, Soul Drinkers). So, a big improvement!

Keep it up!!

Thanks for the encouragement, Boudan!

I kept things rolling tonight and finished the Genestealer Purple highlights and Druchii Violet wash on 3 tac marines and the sergeant for my second tac squad. Once they're done I'll post a group pic.

I'm thinking after Tactical Squad Tarcisius is done, I'll get to work on my first ASM squad, then go back and finish the 2nd tac squad, then the 2nd tac squad. Reward myself for all that stuff with the three Sanguinary Guard I want to add to my existing SG squad. Then I'll be getting pretty close to being finished all the models I currently own. Since that new chaplain is what inspired me to get back I may reward myself with him and some more DC. I think given my fluff I need more DC and the next phase could be building towards the Strikeforce Mortalis. On the other hand I will need drop pods for my tactical marines and before looking at Mortalis I had in mind a list involving bikes along with the ASM.

Good job, overall. What is the Chapter symbol? A white heart on a black background, with a sword thrust through it? (I saw it on Sgt. Tarcisius' back banner.) Are those colors symbolic of something, or were they chosen to be easily visible in the infrared spectrum? (The US Army does the same thing with national insignia, i.e., the flag, as displayed on the Army Combat Uniform.)

Thanks, Bjorn.

To be honest, I haven't settled on a final chapter symbol.

The stuff on Sgt Tarcisius' banner is his personal heraldry -- it is a variant of the chapter symbol, which is something very similar to the Lamenters' but not exact. You will see something similar yet different when I complete my next sergeant. The troops completed to date, where they have a pauldron with Chapter markings, have a Lamenters' style black-and-white check pattern, with circle containing either a blood drop or skull in the centre. All subtle variations on the chapter symbol (and more importantly beats the pants off of free-handing something the same on everyone -- the chequy pattern is enough for me at this point).

The colours aren't symbolic of anything. Just rule of cool, I'm afraid.

Happy to report I've been able to keep up the momentum (by my standards), and the three tactical Marines I started last week are now done:

med_gallery_66537_10027_73341.jpg

med_gallery_66537_10027_102284.jpg

... which also means that Squad Tarcisius is now up to eight marines. I'm ready to call them finished but for decals denoting company number in Arabic numerals on the right shoulder pads.

med_gallery_66537_10027_841233.jpg

med_gallery_66537_10027_813749.jpg

med_gallery_66537_10027_189693.jpg

I don't know if it's my new iPhone -- because I'm using the same lamp as before -- but the colours don't look quite right in the photos. The purple is not so blue looking in real life. As mentioned I used Naggaroth Night --> Xereus Purple --> Genestealer Purple, then a wash of Druchii Violet which has more red in it. You get the idea, though!

Love 'em.

I confess confusion as to why people love plasma when it will betray you, while loyal Melta only wants to hurt others on your behalf.

But! Great painting. Can't wait to see your tournament list all painted up.

One minor suggestion: those who have a studded paldron where their chapter badge would lie, might consider the chapter badge on the opposite pauldron and squad markings on knee pads. It would be in line with IA artwork for Lamenters and other chapters. Merely a thought.

Thanks, brothers. The support and feedback really helps me be motivated to keep going. Tonight I'm going to get started on some assault marines.

@Boudan - I'm actually not a huge fan of plasma but since my Astra Militarum/Miltarum Tempestus/Inquisition army is all flame and plasma so I thought I'd mix things up a bit with my marines plus I guess I got excited over having a 3+ to block the overheat versus the 5+ I'm used to. I'll add squad markings as suggested but -- full disclosure -- I wanted to use the studded shoulder pads as a way out of painting that chequy pattern on every single model LOL

With thanks to slangwhanger, here's an army diagram he made for me, and which I just updated today with the stuff that's finished done in orange. Not purchased/not assembled is black, while assembled but not painted is grey.

This is probably all going to change as my army list evolves thanks to input in my "Preparing the Angels Sorrowful for Battle" thread, but shows the progress to date in any event.

gallery_66537_10027_7027.jpg

• 1 month later...

Small update ... since he's the guy who helped me get my hobby mojo back, I bought the new BA chaplain with some of my xmas money. Very minor conversion:

med_gallery_66537_10027_282557.jpg

I have to say I personally like him a lot better with the SG backpack than the one he comes with. I'm just debating what colour to paint those wings. I feel like Astorath's black wings look good because the rest of him is red, and red wings on a black (or mostly black) chaplain would look too monochromatic. Could to red, but I am gravitating towards white.

Small update ... since he's the guy who helped me get my hobby mojo back, I bought the new BA chaplain with some of my xmas money. Very minor conversion:

med_gallery_66537_10027_282557.jpg

I have to say I personally like him a lot better with the SG backpack than the one he comes with. I'm just debating what colour to paint those wings. I feel like Astorath's black wings look good because the rest of him is red, and red wings on a black (or mostly black) chaplain would look too monochromatic. Could to red, but I am gravitating towards white.

Since you might paint him half red half black why not do the same for the wings on the opposite sides?

Archived