Blood Angels planetary defense force

Jorre

I'm looking at adding a small contingent of imperial guard to my Blood Angel army. I'm going to fluffologically justify this by calling it the BPDF (Baal planetary defense force).

However I've never actually read anything about a any militia or PDF on Baal. Also I've never heard about any imperial guard regiments coming from there. However they must have some kind of military forces there as the Blood Angels are hardly about to police every little incident in the human population. Also when the Blood Angels are not in system there would have to be a first line of defense!

So I am assuming there must be some kind of military there other than the Blood Angels themselves. The question is what forces do they maintain on the planet and what colours do they wear!

I'm thinking I will go for Cadian models and paint them with grey shirts/pants and black armour or black shirts/pants with red armour.

Has anyone else thought about this? Or have any ideas/suggestions?

Or does anyone have access to some fluff in regards to a real BPDF??

I hope this thread is ok here? It's not really space marine related, but I can't think of a better spot to get info on the Blood Angels home world!

There might not be- no centralized government, and a large floating population running around killing each other- and the BA might not want there to be.

That being said youre probly looking at 'chapter serfs' or whatever the BA equivalent is. Or you could take it from any of the worlds near them that have close ties to the chapter....

I've thought about this years ago and for colors I was thinking about some sort or red camo with reds, blacks and greys. Perhaps red camo fatigues and black armor.

Fluff wise, there are certain individuals who are held with high regard on Baal who aid in the testing games along with the failed contestants (as well as chapter serfs). These individuals could in theory be considered a militia of sorts. I would see no reason why they couldn't be used for this purpose. Whether you use Cadians or Catachan I don't know and would probably be up to you.

There is no official Baal PDF. The population of Baal cling to life on the fringes of radioactive desserts, no major cities, etc. The population do not really need a military es the tribes would police themselves, and wars would be inter-tribe.

If you have seen Dune, the Fremen are pretty much how I imagine the population, and they are actually a very close approximation. The BA fortress monastery is stationed on Baal itself, and will generally always have a garrison of Space Marines present, usually a full company except in very rare circumstances (Armageddon II for example).

But this is your hobby, so if you want a PDF that is stationed on Baal, then they would be off worlders, and wearing full Hazard suits at all time. If you want a contingent of guard to fight alongside your BA as they roam the galaxy, then they would ditch the haz mat and look like a standard guard regiment.

Dont forget that all of Baal and its moons populations are physically stunted, atrophied and malnourished, and those are the relatively healthy ones. they would not make a good army.

As others have said, the BA have no official PDF force. They recruit from the wandering tribes on the planet. I guess they let them fight each other and the strongest survive - these then get selected for trials, etc. They don't need any 'Police' force. I guess no one wants a radioactive desert for a home so it's not like they're going to get invaded any time soon (other than by the Nids).

This situation of having no recognised PDF is not uncommon for the Astartes. Fenris is also a feral, backwards planet but this serves the purpose the Space Wolves who recruit from the strongest of the tribals living there. In the Space Wolf novels, Ragnar Blackmane gets recruited after being watched fighting against a rival group of savages and being noted as a decent warrior. Some of the members of the other tribe get selected too. IIRC the Flesh Tearers live on a crappy jungle planet full of savages too.

If you want to ally with some guard, you could look towards some of the fluff for examples of BA and guard fighting together. A great example would be the Armageddon wars where the BA fight with the Steel Legion. This could be an awesome army as the Steel Legion are all an all-mounted force so can keep pace with the BA and bring lots of tanks, etc to the field. The two colour schemes would also look pretty good together.

Either Tallarn Desert Raiders (rough riders on lizards anyone?) to represent the recruits making their way to the temple on the moons, or any IG that uses a re-breather to represent the roving tribes.

Well that's what I would do anyway. You could even convert the Guard tanks/Sentinels from Marine technology if you are feeling a little crazy :lol:

Archived