Apostles of Quetza

rednekkboss

I've always been fascinated with Meso- American culture. (Mayan/Aztec) I've been wanting to mix that with Space marines. Well, here's the start....

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-Av2vWWCf_qs/UEmjPp989UI/AAAAAAAAAls/0gfQTYhZUq4/s1600/IntChaplainWIP01.jpg

Its still in progress, more of the feather cloak to sculpt and then to "aztec-up" the skulls a bit to make them look more like sculptures. More to come...

Rainbow warriors are a chapter based on aztecs. check them out they are much cooler than their name suggests.

actually that is not entirely true... from GW's perspective they are and was just a run of the mill chapter (like spacesharks at the time) with a silly name. so they sorta went the squat way with them

however, some time ago, someone (i cant remember who) decided to do a fan-reboot of them, based on the mythology of the rainbow in aztec/mayern culture, where as far as i remember, it is wieved as a gate between the world of the dead and the living, and if i remember right, it actually also had some connections to war... so obviously with this connection, the only logical thing was to go with a theme based on that culture for the chapter

as for the chaplain, it looks really really good, nice and simple conversion, and it works very well at conveying the theme

Ireally like the concept and I'm looking forward to see how you go about the work. It's off to a great start thats for sure.

OT - I always thought the Rainbow Warriors were based on hawaiian /south pacific cultures.

Thanks for all the great comments, gang.

According to the Lexicanum, they weren't based on anything....other than rainbows... and maybe unicorns. But yeah, I think it may have been a fan adoption/reboot that did that because I remember seeing it someplace.

The crozus is simple. I picture it as a torch. Basically, he's bringing light from the Underworld, kinda thing. But it comes from THIS GUY'S staff.

Weapon wise, the Lizardman weapons aren't quite right (though the temple guard HALBARD HEADS might work), I've worked on a warclub like(squared off end) double edged chainsword, made by cutting and sanding two chainsword blades together. That may work for the rank and file. Officers and 'deathwing' will have to get something special. I'm thinking i will probably pick up that Temple guard set, alot of the bitz I can use for basing bits (ancient statuary,etc) and I'll see if the halberd blades can work as good weapons. If not I'll fabricate something.

The two warrior cult you see in Aztec research are the jaguar Warriors and Eagle Warriors, which I plan to use as inspiration for my "Deathwing" and "Ravenwing" respectively. The rank and file will have a mix of themes: jade,jaguar pattern, feathers, funky pictographic writing, etc. Also have 30 0f THESE to help the look along. I was originally tempted to go with a more 'north woods' feel, since part of my own ancestry is Mohawk and I spent alot of time with friend on/from the Onondaga reservation, but there is so much cool stuff in the Meso American cultures that don't get seen enough, plus their warrior cultures/obsessions with death and fate fit the grimdark of the 41st millenium well. Fluff is a work in progress, spending part of my day reading mythology.

I finished sculpting the feather cloak last night and did some work on the Dark Vengeance Librarian too. I'll do some trimming and such, then get some new photos. Lots to do..... and I still have to finish my Raptors.

While I initially felt a glimmer of pain at your lopping off of the censers from the chaplain backpack, I looked past that- and I think you are on a righteous path towards a truly characterful and unique space marine army. Keep up the good work brother!

A quick update.... the Cloak of Feathers is done.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-LWSQ4VZp_Z8/UE6rtXirI1I/AAAAAAAAAmI/St6-0fWSheI/s1600/ChaplainWIP02.jpg

And here's the start of my Chief Librarian....

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-a2Lru5G07M4/UE6r6cihTyI/AAAAAAAAAmQ/jAtXImmuTZA/s1600/LibrarianWIP01.jpg

Plenty of work to be done, but I spent some time doing research and have some great imagery so far. May be drawing some imagery of my own this week. ;)

This is an awesome idea from an army, dude.

I don't know how good you are with Green Stuff, but you could really go crazy with the Librarian, give him an Aztec high priest vibe with a gnarly head-dress or something.

Look forward to seeing more!

Btw, Warhammer Fantasy Lizardmen probably have alot of good weapons/accessories for you.

This is awesome

Those feathers are really impressive, and i am a big fan of Aztec inspired Rainbow Warriors. Even though it wasn't a GW official theme, it fits them perfectly and i can't wait to see more :)

Great work.

Thanks for all the interest and great comments, gang.

As for a paint scheme, I'm going to work with black,black-green, jaguar patterns, jade and gold for ornamentation, as well as 'stone' colors for areas that will have glyphs, like the rims on the shoulder plates. At least that's what I'm thinking at the moment. Characters will likely be more individualised. They might not end up as elaborate as they could, because I could see them having ceremonial garb and battle garb. I've been having a great time researching, so the whole army will likely develop slowly.... that and I always have several projects going on at once, am easily distracted (thank you ADD) and tend to paint at near glacial speeds.

In roughing out the fluff and such, The "deathwing" will be Jaguar warriors. "Ravenwing" will have vulture icons. The Eagle warriors will represent the inner circle. Each company will have its own "totem" animal and chapter organization will differ from the standard. The working rough background is that the Dark Angels discovered their world while hunting for a Fallen, whose head was promptly presented to them when they arrived. Impressed by these 'primitives', their ability to take down a corrupted space Marine(or two) and how their mythos echoed the Emperor and the Horus Heresy, they decided it'd be a good world to raise a marine chapter on. At least that's the basic idea.

Archived